Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Updates - 2023

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭thomasking22008

TG4 and plus 1 and cula seem blackout screen from maghrea transmission must be connmera no power on esb

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭butwhynot

A few changes today

Tithe an Oireachtas briefly showed RTÉ2 in HD (separate stream to channel 2)

Channels 9, 10 and 28 broadcast something, but not long enough to be captured by DigitalBitrate

Saorview Information (29) switched from broadcasting the Saorview logo to a MHEG screen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,908 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Euronews was audio only during the night last night on all channels. Just blank screens.

If may have been a Euronews fault though as the ticker and bit on the side was visible on the RTE news channel but the main part was blank.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

What was the resolution for the streams on Channels 9, 10 and 28? Were you viewing these stations online?

I didn't see it myself, just noticed a spike on the graph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Aidan McCarthy

Hi. Do you know what are the names of those channels on channels 9 10 and 28. Just wondering

• Registered Users Posts: 9,908 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Not too sure what you mean, but it was the overnight coverage on RTE 1, RTE 2, RTE 1+1 and RTE News I think. The news channel had the ticker with the headlines but the Euronews part was blank like the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Noticed something odd tonight .

2 different makes of Combo receivers ( Ariva 153 & Amiko ) I am not hearing audio on the former RTE DAB channels apart from RTE Chill

The audio was there on monday morning as I was recording Ronan Collins on the Amiko but the recording on Tuesday , while occupying the same amount of space on a USB , has no audio .

Thought maybe Saorview might have a fault and is transmitting no audio but when I check 2 Saorview tv's I can hear RTE Gold

I receive RTE from Three Rock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

In late 2023, 2RN started shifting some radio channels around on Saorview. I think someone mentioned they were aiming to have all the radio channels on one multiplex, instead of spread across two.

In order to ensure Saorview equipment updated properly to the new locations, duplicates of some stations were created to cater for Saorview equipment which didn't automatically update.

If you look at the name labels of the stations, the duplicates have a full stop at the end of the label. For example, LCN 206 is 2XM but the label is 2XM. on the duplicate.

Your receiver must have recorded a duplicate station which was not carrying audio at the time.

Thanks , you were right .

Rescanned both boxes this morning and got new versions of Gold which have audio .

RTE must have shut down the old frequencies of the DAB stations on Monday afternoon which is why I got a recording on Monday and nothing on Tuesday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

Getting rid of sky this month as only use netflix and other sources for watching channels. However my elderly parents and in laws wont be able work those as technologically challenged so looking for a saorview solution for them when they are here minding kids etc.Have two smart tvs LG and philips bout 5 years old and wondering are these saorview ready and what would be my cheapest solution for connec ting one of these. there is a point for aerial connection but dont have any aerial. Sky will be leaving me their dish but guessing that wont be any use to me for getting saorview if i connected a saorview box to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

In the menu of the TV there should be a means of tuning Saorview if they have the function. Also have a look at the back of the TVs - you should see socket for aerial. There might even be a socket for Satellite if there is a Sat tuner built in.

If no longer using the SAT dish you could connect an aerial to its coax cable and feed that to the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭RoTelly

You will get satellite channels from the dish, I am guessing both TVs also have a sat receiver installed. I suspect that they are all saorview ready.

You will need to get an aerial and reception depends on where you are in the country or where the TV is e.g.

I live in Athlone and would have to have a loft aerial or outdoor aerial to pick up Soarview (though I don't think this should be the case but I have tried indoor with no luck).

My aunt lives in Kildare close to Maynooth but out in the country, she only needed an indoor aerial to pick up Saorview.

At my parents home in North County Dublin the upstairs bedroom picks up Soarview no problem with an indoor aerial.

But I suspect outdoor or loft aerial would be a better option as you won't have many issues with them.

Find a cheap indoor aerial to test on the TVs IMO.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Do you have all the other digital stations on Saorview?

______

Yesterday

Yes , the retune get everything back

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

The next reshuffle will come when RTE closes the digital radio channels apart from R Gold. It looks like the independent ones won't take up their positions on DTT after Bauer pulled their services from Satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If no longer using the SAT dish you could connect an aerial to its coax cable and feed that to the TV.

Or keep the dish, install an aerial and a combiner onto the satellite cable at the dish end and a splitter at the TV end. Then you have all the free to air channels from both the UK and Ireland.

Life ain't always empty.

When? won't be this year or next year. I'd be surprised if you see them go at all.

______

Yesterday

You can be sure they will get shafted this time, no messing around with Mr Backards, big changes are coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭thomasking22008

Got pick up test card 9 10 and 28 from maghrea are we getting new channel list ?

• Advertisement

And on 31 this time. The duplicate radios on Mux 1 have also been removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Glaceon

The test card looks a little different now. The clock is back and the four diagonal lined boxes are missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Will Sky take up the two remaining slots on 9 & 10 in future to allow Sky Arts & Sky Mix to join Saorview in the near future?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

4 test cards, all 544x576 and on one Mux .... 674MHz Maghera.

3 unused on 690MHz .... Gold. 2XM. Pulse. ..... all with period in name and no data.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Interestingly, the four SD test cards on the 2RN-2 multiplex each appear to have their own video & audio streams, rather than have four services display the same single test card video & audio.

Looking at digitalbitrate.com, it seems these four services are taking up combined space of 3.5 to 4 Mbps that prior to this were null packets. Certainly enough for two more SD services to be broadcast on the multiplex, based on the transmission parameters of other SD services.

I hope so too but we dont know. It could be some more irish tv channels or uk channels too but dont know yet. It could be some news channels

Any HD testing or is it more of the same rubbish.

I think virgin media one and it sisters channels could be in HD as far as i know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Glaceon

It'll never happen unless they're forced to. They won't pay for it, they don't even want to pay for what they have at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Advertisement