Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Updates - 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I think they are planning to keep Gold... Chill I imagine comes under RTÉjr Radio as it timeshares with that station.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 81,181 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I thought the original idea of the +1 tv channels was that they could resell the ad space a 2nd time around to a more budget market and so make additional income, if they were showing the same ads as went out first time around they really are of a special type of stupid. I do find the +1 handy for recording as a better solution than having to resort to the RTÉ Player ball of sheite if something I am watching conflicts with something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Aidan McCarthy

Rte are going to keep rte gold and i dont know about chill radio. They should keep RTE 1+1 and RTE 2 +1 ON

No it doesn't really work like that, largely the +1 channels help to retain a bit of the market in a fragmented one.

The question will be will that audience return to RTÉ ONE and 2 schedule. I always felt that a mix of repeats would have better suited both stations.

RTÉ THREE could have been repeats of Irish programming shown during the week and classic TV, while RTÉ FOUR could have air the many hours in imports that RTÉ buy in.

Also we don't know if this will happen, the minister will have to sign off on an removal of broadcast services. I mean I'd expect RTÉ ONE +1 and 2 +1 to be still on the air come 2026, same goes for the digital radio stations.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Any +1 station I ever saw just showed the same advertising from the previous hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭doney84

Not sure if the cost savings would be worth it but I wonder if RTÉ intend to go with HbbTV for delivery of the +1 channels instead of traditional terrestrial broadcast?

As they dropped their Archive and Food channel on the Player, I don't think RTÉ have any plans to provide +1 channels, they could have replace their Archive and Food Channels on the player with both +1 channels and the choose not to.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Also we don't know if this will happen, the minister will have to sign off on an removal of broadcast services. I mean I'd expect RTÉ ONE +1 and 2 +1 to be still on the air come 2026, same goes for the digital radio stations.

I don't and think it will probably happen in the next few weeks given that the Government said they support the plan which would imply ministerial permission as well .

Yes technically stakeholders have to be consulted but who among them is going to say "keep them on air " apart from the public and they don't listen to them .

And if they get ahead of the permission who's going to force them back on air

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭waywill1966

I dont see why they kept RTE Gold unless they have plans to expand and improve it and get it on FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

It's seems to be fairly popular and they use it as filler on Radio 1, like during the night, like Euronews on tv. I know many people who are fans of the channel, easy listening and a blast from the past type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Removing the +1 TV and the radio channels is a mistake, they cost buttons to run but it's all about making tangible, externally visible cuts when what really needs to change is how RTE operates behind the scenes.

Life ain't always empty.

They are going to keep rte gold on air. That is the plan anyway

I totally agree. They should be kept on the air

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭waywill1966

I will

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

Does the cost of broadcasting each channel go up if there are less channels? So there won’t really be a big saving to RTÉ from closing the +1 channels on Saorview. The only saving will be from SKY and Virgin cable if that’s the case.

If DVB I takes off then it will be a boost for Saorview. Should make it more sustainable for channels to be added.

Yeah, it'll save nothing significant, but it's RTE being seen to be doing "something" while pretending that when the new and improved, actually functioning RTE Player comes along Real Soon Now, nobody will be missing out on anything.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,908 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Totally agree. I watched "The Two Gobshítes Late Night Lock-in" live tonight on RTE2 and then the programme about AI on RTE1+ after.

If there wasn't a +1 I would have missed one of them as I have no intention of using the disaster of a Player.

I actually watched Shark Tank on TG4+1 after that which would have clashed as well if TG4 hadn't added the +1 option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I'm trying to watch 'crime' at the moment, on the player.

It doesn't show you which episode is playing. I had to stop about 40 minutes in and resumed later, I had to go and locate it on the time dial, where I had stopped watching. I honestly thought it was a joke, to stop it off, had to endure 6 ads each time I tuned it back on.

What a load of crap. Must be designed and run by the same people that designed the RTB website and that do the paperwork there. an absolute disaster.

It's going to be a process, you'd hope that RTÉ have put those proposals to the Department in the last week if not in the last month.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I’m fearful that this thread is moving towards a catch-all RTE discussion thread - there are other threads over in Broadcasting to talk about RTE’s cost cutting plan, but this is the Saorview Updates thread and should be reserved for actual updates on Saorview.

I'd assume they will move down as will GOLD. It will be interesting to see if any of the commercial stations will take a place on the platform.

Also "If" all the digital radio stations close, RTÉ still need to get permission from the Minister etc etc. It's kind of an "existential" decision to RTÉ.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

MUX 1

200 RTE Radio 1

201 RTE Gold

202 RTE Radio2fm

203 RTE Lyric FM

204 RTE RnaG

205 New Irish language channel (15-34 age group)

MUX 2

All other radio channels and hopefully some independent ones too.

It will be interesting to see if any of the commercial stations will take a place on the platform.

Why would they? They've shown zero interest in it up to now and it's not a capacity issue.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,908 ✭✭✭thesandeman

TG4+1 is briste tonight 😢.

Just a black screen except when the ads are scheduled. They play perfectly for their couple of minutes and then it's back to black.

Reminded me of the RTE Player 😡.

Came back at 2:20am with a totally random unscheduled programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Thanks. My Irish is remedial I'm afraid to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Not the first time TG4's had a playout screw up - I remember a fair few years ago (back in the 00's IIRC, before DTT started) of a major breakdown on the station on New Years Day that mean it was showing a white screen for several hours during the daytime.

I suspect in the above case for TG4 +1, since it is being run more as cheap filler during the closedown hours of Cula4 I suspect that it is automated and that it took a few hours for anyone to notice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement