Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Updates - 2023

Options
  • 04-03-2023 7:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭

After months of being on Audio Only, the 2rn test pattern is visible again on Channel 51.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

The test pattern has now disappeared from Channel 50, becoming Audio Only, with an old RTE Radio standby jingle being played on a continuous loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The tune is O’Donnell Abú, 2RN Station Identification Signal, brings back memories of school days pre-24hr radio

I have the testcard on both 50 and 51, HbbTV and MHEG-5, depending on internet connection on/off.

On 51 MHEG-5 testcard with audio, no HbbTV testcard on 51 - blank screen with audio only, . On 50 almost instant switching between testcard data when enabling/disabling TV internet connection, no MHEG-5 slate.

I wouldn't be able to decipher the mux data but 51 has an MHEG-5 data PID which triggers the MHEG-5 slate, this is missing from 50

LCN 50 - Mux 2

2902 Data (AIT)
    2903 0x13

LCN 51 - Mux 1

1007 0x13
    1801 Data (AIT)
    1802 0x13

On going HbbTV testing I assume.

Info on 51

"Dual Stack HbbTV/MHEG Test - HbbTV will load in preference to MHEG on a suitably equipped and enabled HbbTV device"

Blank screen in HbbTV mode.

MHEG testcard with internet disabled.

Tested on a Walker WP4K43221BRD TV purchased Christmas 2022

Info on 50

"HbbTV Test - HbbTV will load on a suitably equipped and enabled HbbTV device "

Blank screen, no MHEG screen.

NOTE - this test crashes the TV, with internet connection enabled or disabled.

Tested on a Walker WP4K43221BRD TV purchased Christmas 2022

I did this test this morning on an older Walker TV, WP-4K4017, TV didn't crash, enabled or disabled

Info on 50 with this TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Working on Saorview Connect, internet enabled or disabled.

When I press info on channel 51 test screen goes black, music stays on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

The picture quality on Challenge TV appears to have improved slightly. The horizontal line mismatch effect has disappeared, but the quality on Sky News looks to have degraded a bit. Maybe someone able to access more details on the picture resolution would like to confirm?

Post edited by StreetLight on

Looking at the official bitrate monitoring Challenge continues with a fixed video bitrate of 1.2 Mbps while Sky News is stat-muxed on that same mux, varying between 1.3 and 5.4 Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭NorthDown2

I agree that the smooth lines for text that were on Sky News has deteriorated over the weekend - this has happened twice before - when they first were on air, and then a few months back to correct an audio fault where audio went blank, the picture quality went down. No one here seemed to know why fixing audio caused the slightly pixellated text - I can see the poorer quality, and it's annoying as when Sky News Saorview (720 lines) is broadcasting properly, picture quality is far superior than Freeview (566 lines).

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

Any update or timeframe on TG4+1 and Cula4?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

Don't know, I see that Sky news Arabia is due for launch on saorview, "Did you ever hear the likes of it" a station that means nothing to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

When is Sky News Arabia launching?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Obviously this is Mickey taking the Mick!

If I'm wrong I'll certainly apologise 😘

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

He posted this on the Challenge TV thread a month ago.

"Sky News "WHAT" Arabia, you're joking, this is becoming a laughing stock."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I would be a bit surprised to learn if Sky News Arabia would actually launch on Saorview. It wouldn't gain much of a viewership here when compared to Pick or Sky Arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I see it’s listed on Wikipedia, is this where it came from? [citation needed] I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

Had a look at the Saorview wiki page and I see Sky Arts and Blaze listed as launching soon as well as Sky Arabia. It even mentions a Saorview launch on the Blaze wiki page. Is this wishful speculation or someone messing around?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

I just checked the Saorview wiki page and the user who added the 3 channels on the 3rd March has not posted anything else on Wiki, so fair to say there's no truth to them launching anytime in the future

They may have to open another Multiplex if it is so, but we don't want rubbish, more HD content will be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

There's no citations on the Wikipedia Saorview page concerning a potential launch of Blaze, Sky Arts & Sky News Arabia on the platform. Given the open editing nature of Wikipedia, unless there is a trustworthy citation then you should never take anything written on it as gospel.

Post edited by TAFKAlawhec on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Any new stations appearing on Saorview I would take as a positive. Sky News and Challenge are good editions. It would be great to see Saorview develop in a similar way to Freeview.

If we could get BBC NI, and C4, the Virgin channels in HD , maybe BBC News, Sky arts etc it would start becoming a desired platform.

I for one am p----d off paying Sky 40 yo yos a month to watch as my missus calls it ' our own stations!'

Anyway, as more stations leave Satellite in the next several years, we might rely on Saorview more for our Free tv fix

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Not a hope of any BBC domestic channels on Saorview unless someone other than themselves charitably pays for the carriage. As it is, if you cancel your Sky subscription you can still receive the main UK channels that way (though if it's a Sky Q setup you'll probably need to change the LNB on the dish) with either a Freesat badged or standard free-to-air satellite receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Widescreen

I have freesat and Sky HD, so its the standard lnb I am using. I have a good set up but the whole Sky thing is becoming a joke price wise. I need to keep the basic signature pack for convenience of my better half, so she can record and watch all her bits and pieces.

The only hope of us cancelling Sky is if it becomes totally unaffordable or this Saorview service keeps improving, hopefully it will!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Aidan McCarthy

What channel is coming to channel 51. We all want to know

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭dermo2014

Sky News +1 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭lgs 4

RTE One 8K . Following Spanish TV .Testing terrestrial 8K at the moment .🙂🙂🙂🙂

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Picture quality of Virgin Media channels is shocking on Saorview, that should be a priority before any more new channels imho.

Yes, its picture quality is awful and I've been saying it for years.

RTE 1 in 4k not 8k and no way to get spainish television channels. Why spainish television and we cannot understand what they are saying in spainish. Maybe some more uk television channels instead that will be better

• Advertisement

I know saorview could have virgin media tv channels in HD and also have virgin media one +1 on saorview

Advertisement