Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicago Marathon - Oct 8th 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭sk8board

Thanks. I’ve registered today. Guaranteed entry also.

this link is allowing booking for Oct 2024.

I just used it to book the 4star Silversmith, 800m from the start line for $315/pn.

*Non refundable rate*

so it’s very much cheaper than online/booking.com says currently, but obviously a nonrefundable outlay 12 months in advance is a bit tempting fate of an injury :)

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Got my application accepted for 2024, looking forward to it now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Time to start the Chicago 2024 thread so. 😉

How long did the approval take?

I have ‘pending selection’ burned into my retinas already, it’s only been 3 days 🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

I applied last Tuesday evening and the mail arrived overnight so around 7 days

Got in eventually - for some reason my card was declined with the payment the first time they tried, but all sorted now for ‘24 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Exactly 4 weeks ago today, and around this time. A very delayed trip report for Chicago Marathon 2023.

A marathon read! - Sorry - pun intended. Enjoy

From Crecora to Chicago – World Major number 3!

Chicago Marathon Trip Report.

In October 2021, I ran the London Marathon [race report here]. It went really well and I managed a Boston Qualifier 3.19.16.

In April 2022, I ran the Boston Marathon [race report here]. I trained well, but it wasn’t my best race. A warm day and the hilly course sapped my energy at the end. Still, I managed a finishing time of 3.18.48 that secured entry to my third World Major marathon – Chicago!

The 18 week Pfitz 55 training plan went reasonably well, a fairly big step up in mileage for me. I only missed one week due to warm weather while on holiday in Malta in August. Half marathon efforts in Dingle and a week later in Charleville toward the end of the block indicated that I was in good enough shape for my trip to the Windy City. Here is how it unfolded:

Thursday October 5th

A 4am start for a 5.30am bus from Limerick to Dublin Airport. The Aer Lingus flight to Chicago is packed with marathoners. I’m seated next to Michael from Youghal and West Waterford AC. We have a great chat about the Dungarvan 10 and all things running related. I also chat to Paul. As it turns out, his cousin Dermot is my club mate at Dooneen AC. It’s a small world. Time flies and we land in Chicago ready for adventure. Train from O’Hare to Downtown and check in at one of the official hotels. Dinner at an Italian around the corner on Grand Avenue and outside I notice the blue racing line of the course painted on the road. If I wasn’t feeling some race nerves before, this has certainly done the job. I go straight to bed – early start tomorrow.

Friday October 6th

Another 4am start. Slept reasonably well. I’ve decided to try to stay on Irish time to reduce the effects of jetlag, as recommended by previous Chicago runners on boards.ie. First up today, a trip to Sears (Willis) tower, a short bus ride away. Wonderful views of the city from the 103-storey Skydeck. Then it’s on to the Expo at McCormick place. The Center is huge and the number pickup involves a fair degree of walking. It’s almost lunchtime and the place is thronged and I’m not really comfortable with such a large crowds 2 days before a marathon. I pickup the obligatory commemorative run jacket and a quick snack but try to minimize my time on feet. I end up staying around 90 minutes longer than I planned. I’m tired as I return to the hotel. Its carbo loading day, so I fuel up. 

In the afternoon, I embark on what has become a core part of my marathon preparation ritual. I pull on my running gear and take the Red Line L train to Chinatown-Cermak. I join the marathon course right at the 21 mile marker. My plan is to jog the 5 miles as for as the finish line on Columbus Drive. The run starts off well. Chinatown is extraordinary. It feels like the section from mile 22 to mile 24 on Michigan Avenue seems very straightforward, for today at least! At mile 25 I make a mental note of all the intersections on Michigan, thinking it will be useful to count them down in my head on race day. The conditions are windy and though it starts off bright and cool, by the time I reach the end it is decidedly wet and cold. Before long, I turn onto Roosevelt Road, and up the little hill to the final bend before the finish line. It’s not really even a hill, but it’s the closest thing this course has to one. On cresting it, I reassure myself that it’s a piece of cake. Hopefully I’ll feel the same on race day. I turn onto Columbus Drive and eyeball the finish line. It’s only 100 metres away and closed to the public for race day setup. Looks like an easy home stretch. I wonder how it will feel on race day? I take the bus back to the hotel to save my legs, then dinner and early to bed. 

Saturday October 7th

Another early start. I take in a good breakfast, pretty much a dress rehearsal for my race day fueling. I put on a few extra layers of clothing, a hat and gloves and leave the hotel at 7am to watch the Chicago marathon 5k. Holy Moly it’s freezing and the Windy City lives up to its name. I’m pretty cold despite my extra clothes. I make a mental note to maximize my extra layers before the race tomorrow. At 7.30am, the race goes off and I think to myself it’s now only 24 hours to showtime. It’s funny how quickly it sneaks up in the end after 18 weeks of training and preparation. I’m standing on Wacker Drive and cold, but the 5k is enjoyable, seeing the Elites up close and getting a glimpse of what kind of atmosphere to expect in tomorrow’s big-city marathon.

Back to the hotel and time to layout all my gear for tomorrow, pin my bib to my singlet and so on. I’m trying to prepare carefully today, fueling wisely and staying off my feet as much as possible. I’m nervous, but a trip to Fadó, a nearby Irish bar to watch the Ireland v Scotland game is the perfect way to unwind. By some good fortune, I manage to get a seat for most of the game. After a light dinner, it’s back to the hotel for some last minute preparations. I set a double alarm and get off to bed early. Tomorrow I will run the Chicago marathon! 

Sunday October 8th – Marathon day

Both phone alarms sound at 4.00am. I’ve gotten a reasonable 7+ hours sleep. A few seconds after waking, adrenaline kicks in when I remember that it’s marathon day. I prepare breakfast, my usual marathon “feast” of 2 pots of instant porridge, bagel, Tailwind and High 5 electrolytes. I’m never really hungry on marathon morning due to nerves, but manage to finish breakfast more out of necessity than anything else. I put on my race gear plus a few extra layers to fend of the cold. A final check and I leave the hotel. It’s just before 5.30am, and cold, probably 7C but feels like 5C, though not as cold as yesterday and there’s a noticeable drop in wind speed. It’s an eerie feeling making my way silently towards Grant Park in the dark along with hundreds of other runners, all aiming for a common goal.

I’m through the security bag checks and into the start area. It’s huge and doesn’t feel crowded, despite the thousands of athletes buzzing around. 6.00am now and still very dark. My extra layers make waiting around feel more comfortable. Time for some more nutrition, and I mix up a Maurten 320 in a bottle of Smart Water. Apparently, it matters what kind of water you use. We’ll find out over the next few hours if it makes any difference! 6.30am and it’s time for a final pit stop. The start area is well organized and there’s almost zero waiting for loos. 7.00am, and it’s time to change into my race shoes and head to the bag check. It’s daylight now and the atmosphere in the park is building. The start corrals close at 7.15am and I just about make it into Corral C on time. A final sip of Maurten and a shot of Beetroot juice and it’s nearly go time.

I bump into 2 lads from Dublin hanging out close to the 3.15 pacers. They’re wearing green Ireland singlets and are easy to spot. The sun is up and the Chicago skyline looks spectacular in the morning light. A young lady sings the US national anthem, the high notes sending a bit of a shiver down my spine. I discard the last of my layers, a t-shirt and a fleece jacket. I prime my Garmin and adjust my pace band and do a final check from head to toe. I’m ready!

Our corral moves off just a few minutes after the gun. It feels good to get moving after waiting around for so long. I’ve elected to stay well back from the 3.15 pacers, at least for the first few miles. Up Columbus Drive and over the bridge, then into the first tunnel of the day. I’ve been warned in advance about uneven road surfaces and unexpected kerbs, so manage to avoid these hazards. Turning on to Grand Avenue, I pass under my hotel room window and try to follow the blue line. I pass the Mile 1 marker and glance at my watch, & then my pace band. 7 minutes 30 something, perfect, not too fast. On to State St and pass the iconic “Chicago” Theatre sign and the first truly huge crowds of the day.  I hear a “Come on Ireland, Go Mike!” cheer from the side of the road. I’m wearing a green Ireland singlet with my name on it. This proved to be a big success with the diaspora in London and Boston on previous marathons, and Chicago is proving to be no different. Passing Mile 2 now and on to La Salle St. and over the river again. Before I even know it, I’ve hit 5k on 23 minutes exactly.

A good opening stint, everything feeling nice and relaxed. The streets widen and the field spreads out somewhat, decreasing the chances of being tripped. Mile 5, and I grab my first cup of Gatorade of the day. I stay on the blue line as long as possible then veer in and grab a cup from a volunteer. I’ve been practicing the “pinch and pour” method to avoid spillages and waterboarding myself and everything goes to plan this time. Another mile, another water station and I use the same technique to get a High 5 electrolyte tab into me.

Through 10k and it’s a sub 46 minute split. Bang on my target pace. I’m still behind the 3.15 pacers, but getting quite a bit closer now. In the near distance, I see a Limerick Triathlon club singlet. I shuffle my way through the pack to draw alongside and give a cheer of “C’mon Limerick!” to the lady sporting it. Turns out to be Murna and we exchange a few words of encouragement.  Time for my first race gel. I’ve recently switched from Maurten 100 to 160 and it has proven to be a game changer, even if they are a little heavier to carry in my gel belt. Making our way through Lincoln Park now and a very pretty part of the course along Lake Shore Drive. If it was cold earlier, I’m not bothered by it now. In fact, I would say that conditions are pretty much ideal for me. A shake of the arms and a quick systems check and everything is good so far. 15k arrives at 1 hour 8 minutes.

There’s fabulous cheering and support from the crowds passing the 10 Mile marker and all seems good. I grab another salt tab and settle in for the southward leg of the course back down towards the city. I draw alongside another Ireland singlet. This time it’s Paul that I met on the plane over. Such a small world. We cheer each other on as the city skyline looms into view.

So now I must make a decision that could either make or break my marathon. I started out behind the 3.15 pacers, and only recently drew past them. I can still hear them just behind me. Do I dare inject a bit of effort and pick up the pace a little, or stay in my comfort zone? My watch beeps for Mile 11 and a 7.16 mile. I chew down gel number 2 – the only caffeinated one for today. I’m feeling good, so decide to keep this pace and effort for now and if I shake the pacers, then so be it.

Mile 12 and another solid 7.16. I can’t hear the pacers anymore, but I recognize some of the streets and landmarks as we approach halfway. Over Wells St. Bridge and I’m enjoying the views of the river when suddenly I get my heels clipped from behind. A clumsy runner has cut from left to right directly behind me. I stumble for 4 or 5 paces and almost go down, but miraculously manage to stay upright. A very close call. I’m too shaken to yell a few expletives which would have been more than justified. I try to put it behind me and the halfway timing mat appears. I glance at my watch and pace band. I’ve planned for 1.35.50 for a 3.13 finish. I’m on 1.36.38. I don’t feel like I’ve overcooked the first half. In fact, if anything I’m pretty pleased that I’m feeling relatively fresh. Still, there’s a long way to go yet, and we’ve all felt this false sense of security at marathons in the past, only for things to go awry later.

Heading west now along the straight on Adams St. and the crowds are amazing. Loads of support for the Irish and for the first time today, I’m truly enjoying the experience and soaking in the atmosphere. I’m actually running with a smile on my face through the block party cheering zone on Mile 15. Another gel and salt tab and I’m through 25k in 1.54. So far, so good. Running east now, through Greektown and I’m still knocking out 7.15 miles. 10 miles to go. I see yet another Ireland singlet up ahead and decide to reel it in. This time it’s Jean, who is Irish but has lived in Brazil for many years. She’s motoring along really well and is comfortable with the pace. We chat for a while and Mile 17 goes by. A 7.08! Hehe, I think jean is pulling me along! I grab another Gatorade as we head for Little Italy. Mile 18 and another 7.08 mile. Hopefully I’m not overdoing it, but right now everything seems fine. It has gotten considerably sunnier now and though I have a peaked running hat, I wish I had sunglasses too for the glare. I grab some water and take my final High 5 tab of the race, though not feeling particularly thirsty. Through the 30k mat and a glance at my watch and pace band tells me I’m within 20 seconds of my target, which excites me and gives me encouragement. Is it going to be my day? No! too soon to think like that. Knuckle down for 3 more miles Mike, and get to Mile 21 where you ran on Friday first! Passing the Mile 19 marker and I take gel number 4. For the first time today, the crowds are a little quieter and more dispersed. I’m running along 18th St. and through Pilsen. I experience a few moments of fatigue, but the 20 mile mark is coming up soon and with a 7.16 split, I’m still in the game. It’s mind over matter time and I remember Catherina McKiernan’s advice in my ears: “Do not give in to doubt and temporary discomfort!” I dig deep. Come on Mike, only a mile to go to where you picked up the course on Friday. I grab another Gatorade, more for distraction than anything else, then round a bend and I’m on Cermak Road. The L station is just up ahead and I’m in familiar territory again as I cross the bridge at Mile 21. Another 7.19 mile. 5 miles to go. Can I keep the ship steady? Pull like a dog, Mike. It’s time to shine.

I round the corner into Chinatown and it’s absolutely wonderful. The street performers and crowds of spectators are unreal and it gives me a huge boost. The doubts have faded away, for now. Through 35k and I’m under 2 hours 40. My watch beeps for Mile 22 and a 7.14 mile. 4 miles to go. 4 that I enjoyed and found relatively easy only 2 days ago. How will they feel with 22 mile of race effort already in the legs? I chew down the final gel of the day. I don’t feel like it need it, bit know from bitter experience how costly it could be to skip it.

I turn right on to Michigan Avenue and can see the runners going the other direction on the opposite carriageway. They’re passing mile 24 and I tell myself that will be me in less than 15 minutes. Let’s get this done Mike! Michigan Avenue is wonderfully wide, though this section is surprisingly quiet. The calm and respite is actually nice. A quick check from head to toe and I’m in okay shape. Legs tired but uninjured and still ticking over. The weather is pretty much perfect and my mind starts to wonder if I can dare to dream about a PB today….

Just then, a runner in front of me on my right goes down. He staggers for a few paces, then falls on his hands, before rolling on to his back, luckily right next to a bike medic. He’s awake, but it looks like his race is over. I try to put it to the back of my mind. Thankfully the 23 mile marker comes into view and the turn northwards for home. A 7.20 split is okay. I’m passing lots of runners now, but few, if any, are passing me. I can see the downtown Chicago skyline up ahead, which gives me something to aim for. I’m starting to recognize all the little landmarks that I noticed on the practice run on Friday. A BP filling station here, a Hyundai dealership there.

Mile 24, and I’m delighted to see a 7.12 mile split appear on my watch. I’m not slowing down and my confidence is growing. Time to show the world what kind of marathoner you are Mike! The crowds are building here along with the anticipation. I’m enjoying this stretch. It’s not very far to the 40km mat. I glance at my pace band. I should be hitting it around 3.02 and I go through in 3.02.12. A few seconds later, and Mile 25 gives me a 7.08 split. I’m speeding up and feeling surprisingly good. My tail is up! It’s time to go for it, leave it all on the field, and empty the tank. I see the 1 mile to go sign.

I’m counting down the street intersections on Michigan. 21st St. 18th St. Enormous, raucous crowds of spectators. This is the best feeling in the world, this is why we do it. All those wet Sunday morning long runs around Limerick, all the tempo runs, the VO2 Max sessions, the sacrifices, it all feeds into this. I feel like I’m flying, definitely faster than marathon pace. I’m still following the blue line. I pass under the rusty L bridge that crosses Michigan. This is my cue – only half a mile to go.

I turn right on to Mount Roosevelt, there’s no hill for me today. My watch beeps for the final time to signal Mile 26. A 6.53 split! Are you kidding me? I’m sub 7 for the last mile of a marathon. This is unknown territory for me.  In the end, I crest Mount Roosevelt in 70 seconds and glide round the final left turn onto the finish straight. I’m on fire, unstoppable, focused on the finish chute, almost completely oblivious to the noise, the crowds and the other runners around me. I feel no pain, no fatigue, just an eruption of elation as I throw my arms up as I cross the line and let out a huge roar through gritted teeth. I stop my watch. 3.11.41. It takes a moment to process the numbers and the significance. A 7 minute plus PB from Boston a year earlier. A negative split too. A huge personal victory. This is one of the greatest moments I’ve ever experienced. It doesn’t get much better than this.

Elation gives way to emotion, and as I stare back up the finish straight, the tears start to come. All the hard work over the last 18 weeks was worth it.  I slowly make my way through the finish area, collecting my medal and a beer, the first in a long time, but not the last for today. I look around and see my friend Jean from Mile 16. We congratulate each other on our almost identical times and get a nice photo. I make my way to the bag collection and run into my club mate Shane, who has just collected his 6-star finisher’s medal. I remember that I’m now halfway on that quest. Someday, I tell myself, I’ll complete all 6 too. After some snacks in Grant Park and catching up with family on the phone, I make my way back to the hotel for a rest and cleanup before hitting the Kerryman and Rossi’s for rehydration with friends.

Tomorrow I’ll visit the Art Institute and the Nike store to treat myself to a finisher’s top. I’ve earned it.

What an amazing event and city - Thank you Chicago.

MtM

Post edited by MiketheMechanic on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Just look at it you have booked a holiday in Chicago regardless for 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭py

Mike, that's a super run and report. Congrats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

What a fantastic race report, wow! I felt like I ran that race.

What a performance!! An absolute dream marathon. So very well executed. Huge congrats.

How the hell did you remember everyone's name though haha

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭marathon2022

I loved that report. Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Fantastic race report, I loved reading that. Congrats on the PB and an excellent race.

Brilliant, Mike, congrats on a fantastic performance. So glad you had an experience as positive as mine the year before. Recover well. 💪

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Fantastic report Mike. I fekt like I was there. You ran a brilliant race. Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Superb report and what a run! Great strong finish!!

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Well done Mike, I’m delighted for you. A very well paced race.

Well there's a blast from the past. How are things, J? 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Wottle

Super performance, congratulations. Also the best description I've ever read for trying to hydrate with paper cups at MP "waterboarding myself".

@Bulmers74 Cheers bud - you set the bar for me and showed me what was possible 👍️

• Advertisement

Haha - accurate and true! Pinch and pour is a big help.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Pretty damn amazing run and a great report! Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

Lottery results out this Thursday.

My wife is going to murder me if I get in again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭marathon2022

I have a GFA place in Chicago, delighted and excited, but also awaiting the Berlin lotto tomorrow, first time ever hoping for a PFO :-). Good luck Thursday🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

I got a place for chicago but AIB stopped the payment on my card

I updated just now with my AIB visa, i hope they dont reject it again, ugh!

Oh, have the emails started already? My account still shows as Pending Selection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

i got notification on AIB app first before any email or updates

received email and the portal updated to "selected" now that i have sorted card details out (had to manually type it in rather than let it auto populate and select it)

good luck with it! fingers crossed

Nothing on my bank account yet :(

Part of me wants to get a PFO, and I'll pay for a spot in Berlin instead, but then I love Chicago, so would love to run this one again

Still Pending Selection :(

Anyone else get their email?

• Advertisement

Got my PFO email :(

I've gone from being terrified I'd get both Berlin and Chicago, to getting neither.

Must look into other Autumnal marathons for next year so. Might pay for Berlin via a Tour Group, or do something like Amsterdam

Advertisement