Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicago Marathon - Oct 8th 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Best of luck to the Chicago contingent. Weather conditions look nice and cool anyway. Run well all.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

It's pretty cold here. Better than too warm I suppose. Best of luck to my fellow runners tomorrow!

MtM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭py

Definitely cooler than last few days. Twas a little nippy at points on the 5K this morning.

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Good luck today guys, give it Sally

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Wow, Kiptum. Incredible!

• Advertisement

Yesterday was a great day out, always is when you PB. Incredible support from start to finish. Plenty of water/Gatorade available throughout. Got chatting to some Irish runners (and others) before/during/after. Thought the route was an enjoyable one and the various neighbourhoods offered something different. Very well organised before and afterwards. I didn't have any issues with security, bag check or corrals beforehand and similar experience post race. Collecting medal, space blanket and refreshments was seamless. I got changed on one of the benches across from the fountain and chatted with various people about their races. Wandered up to the 27th mile which looked fun but I didn't hang around long. First major done. Highly recommended to anyone considering it. Will do a race report on my log at some stage this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Can anyone recommend a hotel within walking distance of the finish, preferably downtown please?

Am going to register for next year when guaranteed entries open and am thinking of the Hyatt on Michigan ave - bringing family

After watching yesterdays race I was thinking the same thing, Applications open next Tuesday

Same here. Scouting hotels at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Any hotel on the magnificent mile is perfect.

• Advertisement

We stayed in one of the official hotels that are linked on the application page. Rate was expensive but a decent enough discount. Hampton Inn Chicago Downtown I believe it was called. Great room and great breakfast, about a 20 min stroll to the start.

If you do not get a hotel near The Loop or on The Magnificent Mile, I would recommend staying somewhere along the CTA Blue Line. I was about 10 stops away from The Loop and with a 7 day CTA pass ($20 + $5 for the card), I was able to get in/out without any hassle. I had read on Reddit that the schedule was hit/miss but I did not experience that at all. I used it very early morning for race day and also the day before for the Chicago 5Km. I also used it to get to the expo and around to other sightseeing areas.

Stayed at the Intercontinental Mag Mile. Bit pricey, but very convenient to the start/finish, downtown and links to the airport.

Lovely art deco 1920's swimming pool for a stretch before or after the marathon. It's on the official housing list, so a discount is available.

MtM

Post edited by MiketheMechanic on

Some tips that might be useful for over there.

Camelbaks or anything with a bladder can not be used. Running vests with soft flasks on the front can be used. I may have worn my running vest had I definitely known this but I got on fine without it. I would have overloaded it with unnecessary stuff had I brought it.

Security check was brief. My bag got physically checked. My bag and I then had a metal detector test. You can not check in your own backpack as your drop bag. I did however have a backpack rolled up in my official bag check so I could carry stuff later on. No issue doing this.

Pack warm clothes in your bag check for afterwards. I'd a full set of clothes, jacket and hat. Gloves would've been a welcome addition.

There was no issue with me bringing in bottled water to mix my Maurten in there. I did not however want to risk mixing it beforehand in case they asked me to empty it out.

When you pick up your bib, there is a beer token, bag check token and bag check label attached to it. You do need the bag check label and bag check token. I was not asked for either a beer token or my ID when I was getting a beer at the end. I forgot my bag check token at my AirBnb but my number was on my bib so no issues for me anyway.

The Chicago 5Km the day before was a good dry run for getting prepared that morning and also for taking the CTA in to the city centre. As conditions were almost the same for both days, it was good to see what running in them were like. The beanie and medal were nice too. Up to you if you think $45 was worth it. There are other organised shakeout runs available but they will not be organised until much closer to race day.

If you are going to use the CTA, bring a small amount of dollars in cash. There were problems for a lot of non US folks when trying to pay at the CTA machines at O'Hare airport. I even had problems with cash until I moved to another machine. The Ventra app allows you to transfer your Ventra card as a contactless payment option on your phone. Do not do this if you have an android phone. There are many people who have posted online about having issues with it. I had to pick up another card because of this. $5 gone down the drain.

The day after the race is known as "Medal Monday". Nike, Fleet Feet and Under Armour usually do medal engraving with your name and time for free. Expect queues. Expect to see everyone wearing their medals around the city. You will get congratulations from runners and non runners. Enjoy it. Same goes for your travel home. The airplane was rammed with finishers wearing medals

Book your sightseeing in advance, even if you are doing it the day of booking. I tried to rock up to 360 on the day and there was a 90 minute wait. I enjoyed the boat tour recommended on here. Definitely worth checking out.

Not too far from the expo, I swung by Dick's Sporting Goods to pick up some Chicago sports teams items for my kids. Seemed a little pricey so jumped next door to TJ Maxx and picked up stuff there much cheaper. Across the road is DSW which has really cheap shoes. Picked up some runners at much cheaper prices than home.

If you need running specific items, there are various brands with stands at the expo. Keep an eye out closer to race day for a full list of brands. They will likely only accept card on the day.

The t-shirt you get with your entry is your participant t-shirt. There was marathon specific items released by Nike, Saucony, Rabbit and Heartbreak weeks before the event. There was also "finishers" gear released by Nike which was available at Fleet Feet and Nike store. I didn't get any of it. Nike gear didn't look great imo but the other stuff didn't look too bad.

Post edited by py on

Thanks I've stayed there before, how do you avail of the discount?

2024 applications are now open 😁

For anyone here (or if you know of anyone) that had their Aer Lingus flight (EI122) delayed on the Monday after the race, they have provided compensation to me for the 5+ hour delay. Get this form filled out to claim compensation. It took 7 days for them to process the claim.

You book through the official marathon site as part of the sign up process. It's open for quite some time, think you can add it at any point. Careful though - my confirmation emails kept going in the spam and I ended up booking three rooms (managed to cancel the extras without penalty very late in the game!)

The Chicago Marathon has what they call a "housing" site.

They have a deal in place with a whole bunch of hotels in the city.

Maritz is the Official Housing Provider for the Bank of America Chicago Marathon

Here is the site for this year's marathon. Closed now obviously.

"https://registration.experientevent.com/ShowBCM231"

Once you register for the marathon and you are accepted etc. they will send you these details where you can book rooms.

Or you can take your chances with the likes of booking.com - if you get a good rate and cancellation policy.

MtM

Post edited by MiketheMechanic on

Thanks both, awaiting confirmation of guaranteed entry application. Have booked a cancellable hotel on Michigan in the meantime

• Advertisement

I've booked the Ambassador hotel, pay later with free cancellation. It seems a bit further out than those recommended but not too bad and close to the red line.....which from what I can make out will get me close to the start area. Interested to see the prices of linked hotels if my application is accepted.

Lads, I'm in the process of sending off my GFA entry for next year, when it comes to proof of time, will a screenshot of my qualifying marathon time suffice or do I need something more exotic but given that I'm an absolute luddite when it comes to computers I might struggle with that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭sk8board

What discount did you get from the regular price? That link lets you book for 2024, looks like 7% on some of the closer hotels to the Mag mile, €350-450 per night

7-10% seems about right from memory. There won't be much on Mag Mile for under $400 a night unfortunately.

It's worth it imho, to be close to the race start/finish area and to be close to eateries and transport to the expo in the days leading up to the race.

MtM

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Unknownability

I think you submit a link to the website, that's certainly what I did for Boston.

I downloaded a pdf of my London result and uploaded that. Got the confirmation this afternoon that I'm in.

Post edited by Unthought Known on

I downloaded my Boston time on PDF and attached to application. Also got acceptance mail last night 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭sk8board

I thought they were only doing the acceptances after the window closed?

ill get mine in tonight.

With the GFA application, once it's checked and verified I think they send the acceptance. I only applied yesterday morning.

• Advertisement

Yeah, fee taken from my account already.

Advertisement