Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Marathon - April 18th 2022

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

So..........now looks like headwind most of the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Yep, looks like the weather websites have converged on a decent enough headwind picking up as the race goes on. Find a group or inexplicably broad marathon runner to run behind!

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

I always wonder how the Boston Marathon is filmed on what looks like a camera from a Nokia 3310, surely in this day in age they should be able have higher quality video footage of the leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Footage of this has been awful. The handful of exciting moments in both mens and womens race have been missed because they were either showing stock footage of Boston or the camera feed cuts out.

Missed every single break away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

How can a professional athlete not be familiar with the Boston finish.....right on Hereford, left on Boylston. Last year Marcel followed the press truck and missed out on a course record bonus and this year the eventual female runner up did the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

It did help to make that last km so exciting to watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Hi all. I finally got around to doing a race report for Boston - I know, 5 weeks late - but life gets in the way of running sometimes :-)

Anyway, sorry in advance - it's a bit of a marathon read - pun intended. Hopefully some of you will relate to it.

MtM

Barnakyle to Boylston – my first Boston Marathon. Heat, headwind and hills!

Foreword

In October 2021, I fulfilled a lifelong running ambition and took part in the London Marathon. This race went exceptionally well for me. I knocked 6 minutes off my PB and finished the race feeling strong.  As it turned out, my time of 3.19.16 was enough to qualify for Boston and so I was determined to train for the oldest and most famous marathon of them all on Monday April 18th 2022. Here’s what happened.

Saturday April 16th.

Flight from Shannon to Boston with Aer Lingus is uneventful and stress free.  Have sussed out the public transport from Logan to the hotel in advance. I buy a 7-day Charlie card and catch the Silver Line to my hotel in Seaport. Check in, drop bags and head straight to the Convention Center on Boylston Street to pick up my race number.  Purchase the obligatory Boston Marathon jacket and have a quick wander through the Expo, then back to the hotel.  Quick refuel and hydration and change of gear and I head out to Boston College on the T. My plan is to run the last 5 miles of the course, the section just after Heartbreak Hill to the finish line. This strategy worked really well for me in London, and got me mentally prepared, so the plan is to repeat it for Boston. As the tram approaches Cleveland Circle, the previously nice weather changes. Cold, dark, wet and windy. Just like the weather I have trained in for most of the spring in Limerick.

I take a selfie outside Boston College and prepare for my run. There’s a church all in darkness at the side of the street, but hundreds of cars parked outside. In the excitement, I’ve forgotten that it’s Easter Saturday night. Curiosity gets the better of me. I climb the steps, pull the huge door open and slip inside. It takes my eyes a moment to adjust to the dim glow of candlelight. The church is full and I stay in the shadows at the very back. After a few moments, it’s time to step outside again on to the marathon course and jog part of the route that lies ahead of me in just over 36 hours.

The 5 miles goes well. I tell myself that once I get past Heartbreak hill on Monday, these last few miles are relatively easy, mostly flat or minor undulations. I follow the T along Brookline.  Finally, I turn right onto Hereford, then left onto Boylston. The street is closed to traffic to facilitate the marathon preparations. Because of the rain, I actually have the street to myself. It’s a slightly surreal feeling as I cross the finish line alone. A lone construction worker applauds me as I stop my watch. I head for the T and rush back to my hotel. It’s getting late and I need to eat. Grab a shower and dinner, catch up with family and clubmates and get a good night’s sleep.

Sunday April 17th.

Get a bit of a lie in before heading out to breakfast. Some clubmates have arranged to head back into Boylston Street for 10.30am. There’s a Blessing of the Athletes ceremony at a famous church right beside the finish line that I tag along to. Not normally my cup of tea, but must admit I find it inspiring and very nicely done. Cannot resist one final quick walk through the Expo. I find my name on the wall of participants, buy some running socks and head back to my hotel to put my feet up for the rest of the day. Lay out my gear, go over final fueling and logistics plans for race day, grab dinner then get to bed by 9.30pm. Tomorrow I will run the Boston Marathon!

Monday April 18th – Race Day.

Alarm goes off at 5.55am. I feel a little sick with nerves. I make myself first breakfast. Porridge and raisins, Nature Valley bar, Tailwind drink, bagel, electrolytes.  Not hungry at all, but must force it down out of necessity. It’s dry but cold outside. Cloudless, it will be a very sunny day. I slather on the sunscreen. Have a complete set of disposable clothes on over my running gear, plus a change of shoes, my racing shoes hanging around my neck. Final check of all my kit and I leave the room. Meet clubmate Robert in the lobby.  A shuttle from the hotel takes us to the bag drop on Boston Common. The company helps with the nerves. Drop my bag for after the race, then line up for the bus to Hopkinton. Meet another clubmate Marcella. The 3 of us set off on the hour long bus ride. It’s part of the race buildup and there’s a great atmosphere all around. In time-honoured tradition, the bus driver gets lost about three quarters of the way there. Luckily there’s a local runner on our bus who gets us back on track without losing too much time. We give him a big cheer for his efforts. We finally arrive at Hopkinton Middle/High School. 90 minutes to go but the time flies. Take second breakfast, a Maurten 320 drink, Nature valley bar, and some more electrolytes. Time to line up for the loos. Have to hang up my gear in the loo. Feeling good, I wrap up the ablutions and step back outside into the sunshine. Do some stretches and I start taking off some of my disposable gear as the temperature starts to climb. Wait, where are my race shoes? The blood drains from my face. I sprint back to the portaloos in my ancient Asics I use for gardening. Can’t run 1km in these, let alone a marathon. God, can I even remember which cubicle I was in? What will I do? Do I cut to the top of the queue and try to explain what I’m doing? Security are watching me now and one of them approaches me. I tell him my story in a bit of a panic. “Are those your shoes there?” he asks, pointing to my Sauconys laying on the ground in the distance. Some kind soul has seen them hanging up in the loo and left them outside the door. Phew, that was a close call. Hopefully the only mishap of the day. I resolve to put it behind me.  Time to leave the Athletes village and begin the shuffle down to the start area. At CVS I meet 2 lads from Dublin in green Ireland singlets and wish them luck. I’m full of nervous energy now. I take a beetroot shot and a Maurten gel. I do a final gear check from head to toe, use the portajohn then head over to the start line area. It looks like my corral has just started, so there’s no waiting around. “Head right around the corner and start your Boston marathon and good luck sir!” a race steward tells me. Which is exactly what I do…..

Mile 1-3. So just like that, after all the planning and anticipation, dodging COVID and an 18 week training block, I cross the start line. I am finally running the Boston Marathon!  They didn’t lie, the first mile is steeply downhill. I purposely go at a very steady pace, but it’s physically difficult to hold back and go slow. The course is narrow enough, so I stay out of trouble in the middle of the street. It’s crowded, but not ridiculously so.  On mile 2, I see clubmate Robert again and we chat for a while. Little pockets of supporters are out to greet us and the course is pretty along here.  It’s warm.  Really glad I brought my sunglasses. Pace: 7.27, 7.28, 7.32.  Pretty much as planned.

Mile 4-6. I pass through 5k and get my first big cheers of the day at Ashland. I’m wearing a green Ireland singlet with my name front and back, designed by Ger at Flux Athletic in Limerick. There’s no mistaking that the Irish are a popular bunch at this event. I grab some water and do a quick check of how I’m feeling. Everything seems fine, but I feel like I’m putting in slightly more effort than normal to maintain the target pace.  Grab a Gatorade at mile 5 and take a high 5 electrolyte at mile 6. Fab large crowds in Framingham.  Pace: 7.18, 7.33, 7.23. Still pretty much on target.

Mile 7-9. I pass through 10k and look at my watch. 46.40 – around 15 seconds behind my paceband plan. In the big scheme of things, that’s pretty much spot on. The crowds are absolutely amazing. It’s warm though. I try to stay on the shadier side of the road on the right, but it’s not always easy. I take a Maurten gel. I see 2 green singlets up ahead at mile 8. It turns out to be the 2 lads from Dublin that I saw in the CVS car park right before the start. We chat for a few minutes. They’re aiming for 3.15-3.30 they tell me. We complain about the heat.  “Save a bit for the finish” one of them advises me. Good advice. Passing the Mile 9 marker and I see Fiske pond on my right. I’ve seen it before on YouTube videos of the course.  Pace: 7.23, 7.17, 7.19. Off pace by around 20 seconds – no big deal, right?

Mile 10-12

Entering Natick now and this is the first slightly uphill section of the day. I’m noticing the headwind here for the first time now also. The sky is cloudless. The UV index is very high. I’m glad I wore sunscreen and a white hat. I pop a hi-5 electrolyte tab in a cup of water.  Loads of people are outside their houses, cheering us on over a beer and a BBQ.  My 10 mile split looks like I’m 30seconds behind schedule. Probably the hills and the heat. I feel like I’m working a bit now. Time to settle down and put in some steady miles. Bit of relief at mile 11 and a downhill section. Take my second gel. Leaving Natick and entering Wellesley. Pace: 7.19, 7.27, 7.22. Pretty steady running for now.

Mile 13-15

In the distance I can hear a strange noise that keeps getting louder. Much like Tower Bridge in London, I’ve been looking forward to this course landmark. It’s Wellesley Girls College and the famous scream tunnel.  Nothing can prepare me for the noise of hundreds of girls screaming.  It’s intense. One of those memories that will stay with you. I stay in the middle of the road. Grab a Gatorade. Passing through the halfway point, I get a feel for how things are going. Plan is 1.37.00, and I’m pretty much 30 seconds behind plan. I’m reasonably happy with that. Can I sustain this pace? The heat is pretty fierce in direct sunlight, even if the air temperature isn’t particularly scorching.  Mile 14 and I pop another electrolyte into a water cup.  The water stations are a bit manic. Must keep wits about oneself to avoid tripping or losing a lot of time. Gel number 3 at mile 15. Pace: 7.20, 7.23, 7.35.  Still leaking a few seconds per mile from my “A” plan.  I decide to just roll with it.

Mile 16-18

Two hours into the run now. I’m feeling good overall, but my legs are feeling a lot more tired than I would like or expect.  Despite all my hill training, the 6 miles downhill at the start has fried my quads and hamstrings somewhat.  Heartrate and the rest of my body is fine. I see the flags for Newton. The first of the 4 big hills arrive.  It’s actually not that bad. Bit long, and there’s no shade at all.  I see my friend Mick at the Maurten gel station just before the Mile 17 marker and give him a big shout, which in turn gives me a little boost.  Grab a Gatorade, then make the famous right turn at Newton Fire Station, which means that the second hill is coming up.  The crowds are amazing. Second hill is much like the first, just a long, winding drag. Some relief on the downhill as I smile for the marathonfoto camera and pass the 30k mark. Pace: 7.22, 7.36, 7.33. I’m 90 seconds or more behind plan A now, so maybe it’s time to switch to plan B.

Mile 19-21

I pass the 19 mile mark and the Johnny Kelley statue. I chew down gel number 4.  I spot a bunch of tricolors at the side of the course and get huge support from the crowd as I wave. Hill number 3 is shorter and doesn’t seem too bad. There’s a brief downhill segment and I grab a Gatorade. I pass through the 20 mile marker. Come on Mike, only 10k to go, but my body and I know what’s coming next…Heartbreak Hill. The first bit is okay, just long, but then it seems to drag on forever, despite the loud, cheering crowds. I see a green Ireland singlet on the left up ahead. I focus on catching up. It turns out to be a lady called Vicky from Cork. We exchange encouragement with each other and the distraction is a huge help. Before I know it, I pass under the banner that marks the summit of Heartbreak hill. Pace: 7.35, 7.47, 8.15.  I’ve lost some time on the Newton Hills, but I’ve factored some of this into my race plan.  It’s mostly downhill from here to the finish, right?

Mile 22-24

Lovely downhill section now, but Houston, we have a problem!  As I approach Boston College, I press on the accelerator, to get back into race pace, except, there’s no acceleration. Body feels fine, breathing and heartrate fine, but the legs don’t want to know about going faster. In fact, my legs are wondering if maybe we could walk for a bit?  Hang on Mike, you did not come all this way to slow down now. I pump my arms and will myself forward, but it’s really difficult. I pass the point where I joined the marathon course on my jog 36 hours ago. Psychologically, this is make or break time and thankfully the plan works. I know the section ahead is relatively easy, so the legs complain, but eventually comply.  Can I hang on for the next 4 miles? Did I mention it was hot? Well I‘m really aware of the heat now. And the headwind has picked up some more, for good measure. Downhill into Cleveland Circle, with the T on my left, trying to keep right for the limited shade available. Just managing to keep the legs turning as I see the flags for Brookline.  Pass through mile 23. Every undulation is a new challenge. Just try to keep it going. Passing 40k. I don’t bother checking my pace band for the split. I know I’m well behind target.  Pace: 7.34, 7.42, 7.51.

Mile 25-Finish

Really hanging on now. I settle for 7.50 pace. The legs just cannot seem to turn over any faster. Up ahead I can see the famous red CITGO sign. When I reach it, there will be only one mile to go.  I count down from 100 in my head. I pass the 25 mile marker, then the “just a mile to go sign”. I try to speed up, but my speed is maxed out.  I throw a cup of water over me.  I’m hot.  The crowds are insane. Never experienced noise quite like it. It’s distracting, but in a good way.  Pass under the “Boston Strong” sign on the overpass. Almost home. Pace increasing slightly. I power through the Mass Avenue underpass.  Right on Hereford, left on Boylston. Screaming crowds, bright sunshine. How different it looks now to my run here 36 hours ago. I finally manage to speed up. Passing the Convention Center, passing the monument to the 2013 victims. I’m flat out now, approaching the finish. Cross the line, stop the watch. My legs are cooked. I’m emotionally drained.

Pace: 7.51, 7.50, 7.09. Finish time 3.18.48 - PB

Post Race

I turn around and stare up Boylston Street and process what has just happened. I’ve completed Boston. God, that one was tough. I look at my watch. Wasn’t really paying attention to the time but it turns out that I crossed the line 28 seconds faster than my London marathon time. Despite all the hardship, I’ve actually managed to come away with a PB – albeit a small one. Just goes to reaffirm that you should never give up. I’m glad I didn’t give in to temptation to walk at mile 23. I gratefully accept my medal, my first unicorn. I make my way to my bag drop zone and retrieve my gear. Adrenaline filled euphoria gives way to feeling pretty rough. I’m low on electrolytes and possibly fuel. I reach for my trusty can of coke, a banana and mars bar. After a few minutes, I’m feeling okay again. I shuffle my way to MJ O’Connors, an Irish bar a few blocks away where a few friends and clubmates have agreed to meet up. After a dry 12 week preparation, I’ve never been so glad to down a Sam Adams. I’ve earned it. Thank you Boston.

My takeaways.

Run Boston if you ever get the chance. It’s a unique experience from start to finish. I enjoyed it, but boy, it’s tough.

The sun is hot at 42 degrees north. Even in April. This Irishman doesn’t like the sun. Be kind to yourself and make adjustments to expectations based on how the weather and race unfold.

Headwinds combined with hills are tough.

Don’t skip the last gel at mile 21 – even if you don’t feel like it. Almost bonked at the end. The heat didn’t help.

Nothing can quite prepare you for Boston. Though I had done a lot of hillwork, including plenty of fast downhill segments, you rarely run more than 5k downhill at any one time in Ireland. This is about the only aspect of training I would modify if I got to run Boston again.

MtM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Great report Mike, brought me back! Amazing stuff knocking out a PB despite the conditions and those damn hills.

It was a great experience, start to finish. Funny how the brain blocks out all the discomfort and pain looking back on it 🙂

2 world majors done. Only 4 to go !

MtM

Glad you enjoyed it. An honest account of a memorable weekend 😃

Onward to the next adventure

MtM

• Advertisement
Advertisement