Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 2021 (October 3rd)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

What's the London marathon equivalent of MacGrattans? i.e where do boardsies meet up after to rehydrate?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Have previously gone to The Coal Hole on The Strand. I'll likely head that direction for some swift refreshments afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Anyone know of somewhere to watch highlights that isn't the iPlayer?

What a weekend. 6 minute PB and loved every minute of it. Thank you London!

I'd like to watch this too. Any suggestions? Does iPlayer work with a UK VPN?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

It'll work with some UK VPNs but would rather not have to do it. Found highlights on Eurosport 1 though, not as good but at least saw the end of both Elite races.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The Expo was rubbish compared to normal, half the size, no freebies, no people, massive queue to get in for bag drop stupidity.

Race morning was OK, but not having a drop bag meant was getting pretty cold as didn't have as many layers on as would normally. I didn't get the train to Blackheath but got dropped off just next to the station. Hard to tell but the crowd seem slightly less than normal with people arriving at more spread out times. Hadn't been in the Blue start for 25 years and that area was way bigger than the GFA start, but all seemed well arranged with getting people into their start waves without much bother. Then I just made my way across the start line in no particular hurry compared to the normal mayhem at GFA. I felt that the roads were less crowded than normal and there was more space to get around people...but there were far more people to get around (possible just down to me normally being in the GFA start though). The section where the courses merge at 5km felt way less congested than it normally is.

I was pootling along at a handy enough pace, was feeling good but knew that I'd not be making any significant improvement on my 3:06 from April so didn't push it at all and just decided to keep going as was and not worry about the time. Saw a few club mates and even a boardsie on the way along which was all good.

Around 9 miles a blind runner and guide caught up and were running easily under sub 3hr pace, but were having great difficulty in negotiating a path through the runners, so as I had nothing better to do I decided to slot in infront of them and help with clearing a path for them by letting people know they were coming through. Whilst as I'd mentioned the road seemed less crowded than normally, that is only of any use for sighted runners, without realising it we hop and skip around people all the time in a massed race...you can't do that with a blind runner and you can't adjust the pace as subtly as we would without realising we are doing it in order to fit through gaps that you see coming up ahead. I stuck with them for about 7 miles, but then at the underground roundabout at Canary Wharf they got tripped just after a water station. They were up and running again OK, but I was pretty cooked by then so left them to it and they son sped past me again, but the road was way clearer by that point.

Around about mile 19 though I passed them again though and it looked like they had crashed hard into a barrier at one of the 90degree turns in that section. There were medics in attendance already, but I got a thumbs up from the guide so think it was just cuts and bruises, the tracking showed that they unfortunately had to drop out at that point though. :(

I carried on at a bit easier pace until the finish, no great hurry. Then crossed the line in 3:10 and seconds, so outside the GFA qualification time but sub 3:10 wouldn't be sufficient anyway so not bothered about that in the slightest. Would have been annoyed with a 3:06+, but perfectly happy with a 3:10+.

Couple of beers, wind up a club mate who only got the one medal, another beer and train back home. Good day and enjoyed the run more than I normally would I think. No pressure on myself after I'd decided early on that I wasn't chasing a time in any way.

The age group medal that we got is really nice one, way better than any of the previous marathon medals.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Expo was a let down for sure, i lived in London when i've done the marathon previously so would have gone on the quiter Thursday/Friday hassle free, but went on Saturday this year and it was very busy - queuing for so long for the bag drop was painful. Once that was out of the way, the number collection was pretty straightforward but i was in no mood to browse the rest of the stands. I'd arrived at the expo not long after 11 with plans to get out and find somewhere to watch United-Everton at 12:30, that didnt happen in the end (although doesnt sound like i missed much).

Race day itself was more efficient, i was staying near Finsbury Park so got the tube to London Bridge and train to Maze Hill for the green start. I was off in wave 1 but did find it a bit congested for the first 10km or so, more so than id remembered at least, but nothing that would impact you too much. My aim beforehand had been 2:50, but i tried to run to what felt like correct marathon effort and ended up getting in to a good 6:10/6:15 miling rhythm. It was great being back doing a big event like this, support on the course was good - turning in to Greenwich and heading to the cutty sark in particular was hairs standing up on the back of you neck loud. Tower Bridge was great also, my old club in the UK man the elite drinks station just before you come on to the bridge so got some good support here.

Turned on to the Highway then and the elite women were coming back the other way. I made sure i ran as close to the side as i could to get a good view, and nearly ended up regretting this as a Victoria Park & Tower Hamlets runner veered right in front of me to give Charlie Purdue a shout as she came past! Not much later Sinead Diver came past so i gave her a good shout, much to the bemusement of the runners around me who im guessing didnt realise what a legend she is 😎 Passed through halfway around here in 1:21:25, so at this point i had realised i was closer to 2:45 than 2:50. Trying to recalculate the 2:45 splits in my head provided a useful distraction as the race went on, having had the 2:50 splits memorised beforehand.

At this point i figured if i could get through Canary Wharf/Isle of Dogs and back on to the Highway holding the pace, i had a good shot of 2:45. I spent much of my time in London working in that area, so knew the roads well from lunchtime runs etc. I didnt conciously change the effort i was running at, but looking at the results later i saw 25-30k was my fastest 5km of the race (18:56) and 30-35k wasnt too far behind (19:09, which was the same as i did 5-10k in) so the legs were holding up ok.

By 35k i was feeling it though, tried to concentrate on form but it did feel like i was struggling to move as smoothly as had earlier in the race. Somewhere in the back of my mind i cursed myself for not doing enough core work. Coming back in the Highway, i passed by a marshal who literally one or two seconds later stepped out and stopped the runners behind me to let an ambulance come through. I doubt they were stopped for more than a couple of seconds but selfishly i was glad i had got through ahead of the ambulance as the idea of stopping and restarting wasnt one that appealed - i did feel guilty that was my initial emotion soon after, and can only hope whoever was in the ambulance was ok.

Coming past tower bridge and in to the city felt like a big moment. From about 20 miles out, every mile marker i passed i was trying to calculate how much my pace could drop to hit 2:45, but in reality it was only at mile 23 when i started to lose time - the 6:10 miles became 6:25s. At this stage it was just a case of hanging on as best i could, the stretch along the embankment seemed to take ages and it was a relief to see the (sadly still scaffold-clad!) Big Ben and turn towards the mall. By now i knew 2:45 was in the bag and tried to enjoy the last half mile or so. Coming up the mall i could see i was on for sub 2:43 so mustered what little sprint finish i could for a 2:42:54 finishing time, which is a 4 min PB. Possibly what pleased me the most was that my second half (1:21:29) was all of four seconds slower than the first - consistency like that is a rarity for me, and i had a real feeling of righting the wrongs of my other London marathons. I blew up badly when running in 2017 (1:26 at halfway to 3:02 finish) and in 2018, like many others, i failed to readjust my goals for the unseasonable heat that day and had a miserable slog of a race.

The rest of the day was spent around various pubs in Finsbury Park, with pizza, football and lots of Staropramen and Beavertown Neck Oil. Woke up a little fuzzy yesterday morning but the body feels reasonably ok. Very enjoyable weekend all in all (expo in the end was a minor blemish!). Well done to all here who ran!

My race report from London - sorry, it's a bit of a marathon read - pun intended.

Captures the highs and lows of marathon running. Enjoy

Lissanalta to London – chasing a sub 3.20 marathon

I’ve wanted to run the London marathon since 2012. 8 unsuccessful ballot attempts later, I finally decided to go with Sports Travel for the 2021 41st Edition of the race.

My previous marathon PB was 3.25 in Dublin in 2019. With the ups and downs of COVID since then, I was unsure how this marathon would unfold.

Here is what happened.

Pre-Marathon

Friday Oct 1st: Land in Stansted at 2pm. Train and tube to hotel in Regents Park, then straight to the Expo. No major crowds. Drop the kit bag, pick up race number, and buy some souvenir gear from the New Balance stand. Apart from that, there's little of interest at the Expo. Tube back to hotel, quick change of gear, tube back to Tower Hill and jog the last 3.5 miles of the marathon course. A final stretch out for the legs and good to visualize what the last 25 minutes will look like on Sunday.

Saturday Oct 2nd: A rest day. Focus on hydration, get the gear all ready and laid out. Feet up. Try to calm the pre-race nerves. Light and safe meals. In bed for 10pm.

Sunday Oct 3rd: I wake at 5.00am. Set 2 alarms in case one failed. Had a reasonable night’s sleep all things considered, around 7 hours. However, I’m not even remotely hungry. Still I’ve got to eat. I force down the porridge, but can only manage half a bagel and almond butter. Sip the Maurten 320 drink. Can’t finish it. Bring it with me on the bus to the start area. Very nervous stomach. Hope it settles before kick-off. Put on my gear, including my Garmin and paceband. I’ve decided to run this marathon on even effort, rather than even splits. Since London is relatively flat, it probably doesn’t make too much of a difference. Bus departs hotel at 7.10am and I’m sitting with a man from Eagle AC in Cork. The chat on the way helps to settle my nerves. The bus drop in Greenwich is a good 15 minute walk to the Red start area. Almost 2 hours to kill. I try to stay warm and stay off the damp grass. The portaloo is my friend! At 8.40am I take a beetroot shot, washed down with a few sips of Tailwind. 9.00am and I force down a Nature Valley bar. I’m fully fuelled. Weather is dry and cool, but damp and murky. No sign of the breeze that’s forecasted, yet. I’m in Wave 2 with a 9.37am start. My nerves are easing somewhat and at 9.30am, I remove the last of my disposable layers and do a final gear check from head to toe. I take a Maurten 100 gel. I am ready

Mile 1

I shuffle rather slowly out of Greenwich Park and up to the start line on Charlton Way. Though the route is mostly clear of people, there’s no point in running yet. Plenty of that to come. Then I jog under the red gate and over the timing mat, and just like that, after 9 years of dreaming about it, and 18 weeks of training, I’m actually running in the London marathon! The waved starts mean that it’s not particularly crowded here and there’s actually quite a lot of people out to cheer us on from the sidelines. It’s always a great feeling starting a marathon – tinged with some anxiety for the challenge that lies ahead. A few hundred metres down the straight road, I look down and have to check myself, my pace is 7.30 min miles, way too fast for mile 1. I chastise myself verbally out loud, much to the amusement of a runner on my left who agrees that we’ve gotten a bit carried away, and we pull back on the pace. Along comes the first red mile marker gate. A good start. Goal Pace 7min 56 sec, Actual pace 7 min 52 sec.

Mile 2

Running through Charlton, I notice the blue line painted on the road for the first time. Of course it’s on the opposite side of the road to me – so I try to slowly make my way towards it. It’s going to be tricky on narrow parts of the course today with these crowds. We pass or first pub of the day, complete with DJs and punters, singing and drinking pints at 9.45am! I gently weave past some slower runners, trying to plan my road positioning to expend as little energy as possible in the process. The course is undulating here, as I was warned about on the Red Start. Goal Pace 7min 44 sec, Actual pace 7 min 42 sec.

Mile 3

Slight uphill here at Hill Reach, but it’s not really noticeable.  The first water station of the day arrives and there are so many volunteers, I easily grab a bottle and take a few sips – more for the practice than anything else. Then a nice downhill section opens up. Our Red start merges with the Blue and Green start just before the 3 mile marker, and the course gets slightly more crowded.  I check my pace as I pass through 3 miles and a few moments later at the 5km mark. Goal Pace 7min 24 sec, Actual pace 7 min 26 sec.

Mile 4

Into Woolwich now and I get my first shout of “Come on Ireland, Come on Mike!” from a voice in the crowd. Back in June, I got Ger from Flux Athletic to make up a green Ireland singlet with my name printed on it, front and back. The thought process was that the diaspora would see the colours and cheer on the wearer. So far, it’s working well. The cheer gives me a little boost. Plenty of supporters out along the course here. Goal Pace 7min 29 sec, Actual pace 7 min 22 sec. A little fast. Oops

Mile 5

The course is quite crowded here and I seem to be passing a lot of runners, even though my pace is steady and on track. It’s hard to stay on the blue line, so I just try to remain in the middle of the road and out of trouble. The 5 mile marker appears before long. Goal Pace 7min 32 sec, Actual pace 7 min 28 sec

Mile 6

Another water station and my first Hi-5 electrolyte tab of the day. Over the years, I’ve mastered the art of extricating these from the back pocket of my running shorts, unwrap them from cling film, then drop them in the water bottle I’ve just picked up, all without breaking race pace. The operation goes smoothly. Crowds are quite large here and the intensity of the cheering has increased. Goal Pace 7min 34 sec, Actual pace 7 min 35 sec. Really pleased with my pace so far.

Mile 7

I pass over the 10k timing mat. My split looks good, on target to within a couple of seconds. This next part of the course, I have been dreaming about and watching on TV for many years, and I’m about to experience it first hand – Cutty Sark. I turn a corner to the right and there she is. Tall, magnificent. Almost deafening noise from the deep crowds cheering us on, and the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. My pace automatically quickens and I have a huge grin on my face. As I make the long sweeping left turn around the ship, I look up and savour the moment. The course does not seem so crowded here and it feels like I almost have it to myself. I give the official photographers a huge thumbs up as I pass by. The mile marker arrives in no time. Goal Pace 7min 32 sec, Actual pace 7 min 41 sec

Mile 8

Heading into Deptford, I do my first head-to-toe system check of the day. Everything feels good so far. Legs, breathing all fine. The weather is still overcast and the humidity is not really noticeable. The wind that’s expected hasn’t materialised yet. Goal Pace 7min 33 sec, Actual pace 7 min 25 sec.

Mile 9

First Gel of the day and I carefully remove the Maurten 100 from my gel belt and rip off the top. I’ve practiced taking these in training and know what to expect. I’m following the blue line a little more easily now, which helps my confidence as we approach Surrey Quays. Goal Pace 7min 35 sec, Actual pace 7 min 34 sec. Excellent

Mile 10

My 15k split looks good as I pass the timing mat. I grab a cup of Lucozade as I pass the station. I’m never a fan of cups, as I have to slow down and gulp without spilling, but it works out okay. Nice wide roads here and decent support. I feel relaxed and look down at my pace band to see what time I should be hitting 10 miles at….except I fail to observe a speed bump in the road  ahead and very nearly trip over it. I stumble, but get away with it. It’s a timely reminder that it only takes a miniscule mistake to ruin your marathon. Goal Pace 7min 32 sec, Actual pace 7 min 33 sec

Mile 11

On to Brunel Road, passing the gasworks and into Rotherhithe. I must say I’m enjoying this part of the course. I’m totally unfamiliar with this part of the city, but the crowds here are brilliant and I hear my name being called repeatedly, along with encouragement for Ireland. Time for my second Hi-5 tab already and I sip it quite happily while enjoying the views and making small talk with the runners around me. Goal Pace 7min 32 sec, Actual pace 7 min 34 sec.

Mile 12

On to Bermondsey and the crowds are just fantastic. Lots of DJs and BBQs and I remember why I love running big city marathons. The atmosphere is electric. The Shard comes into view in the distance.  To add to my excitement, a runner next to me tells me it’s only half a mile to Tower Bridge.  Along with Cutty Sark, I’ve built this landmark up in my head as a highlight of the London Marathon course.  And now I’m almost within touching distance.  Mile marker 12 appears. Goal Pace 7min 33 sec, Actual pace 7 min 30 sec.

Mile 13

The crowds are huge. I round a corner and there it is stretching out right in front of me – Tower Bridge. I swallow hard and prepare for the crossing. Nobody mentioned that there’s a slight but noticeable incline. It’s a magnificent atmosphere. A celebration of normality after 18 months of restrictions.  I run right down the centreline of the bridge and wave to the crowd. I pass the 20km mat and glance at my watch. The pacing is still good, not too fast.  We’re almost halfway. I don’t want this segment to end. I smile and wave to the photographers at the far end of the bridge. And with that, we make a sharp right turn and the bridge is behind us. That was simply amazing. Goal Pace 7min 36 sec, Actual pace 7 min 38.

Mile 14

After the buzz of the bridge, the next milestone is the halfway point. I am very amused when I look at my watch and as my foot hits the timing mat, my watch shows me 1 hour 40 minutes exactly. How’s that for pacing! That gives me a little boost. It’s time for a Hi-5 tab, but another runner almost take me out while awkwardly reaching out for a water bottle. As we run along, I notice the empty course on the other side of the barrier. Some noise up ahead and the men’s elite race comes charging against us. I move as close to the barrier as possible to watch the action. I’ve never see elites running in person. It’s mesmerizing. As I shout some encouragement, my own pace quickens. I hope I feel as fresh approaching mile 22 as these guys appear to be. Goal Pace 7 min 32 sec, Actual pace 7 min 30 sec

Mile 15

Narrow Street lives up to its reputation, but the crowds are amazing. I grab a cup of Lucozade and sip it as I head into the tunnel. The group of drummers on the left provide a thunderous wall of sound and a welcome distraction. It’s cooler in here and I realize that the weather is now a little warmer and windier than when we left Greenwich nearly 2 hours ago. Hopefully it won’t affect me. Goal Pace 7 min 35 sec, Actual pace 7 min 28 sec

Mile 16

It’s time for gel number 3. The crowds are a little thinner here for the first time today as we go down Westferry road. I pass the 25km mark, but then there’s a little incline and I get a sort of slightly nervous feeling about the miles to come. Can I maintain this pace? Have I gone out too fast? I’ve learned to silence these voices, so I look at my pace band and focus on the next tasks required. However that was the toughest mile so far. Goal Pace 7 min 31 sec, Actual pace 7 min 41 sec

Mile 17

Thankfully the crowds start to pick up again as we turn the corner at Mudchute. I’m feeling a little better, and focus on following the blue line. The pace seems okay again and maybe the gel is kicking in. I can see Canary Wharf up ahead and I have been looking forward to this section. Goal Pace 7 min 36 sec, Actual pace 7 min 34 sec

Mile 18

I run through a shower at the side of the road, more to distract myself than out of a necessity for cooling down.  Just 8 miles to go or roughly an hour.  I do the maths, and I think that sub 3.20 is a distinct possibility as long as I can keep everything steady. The mile marker appears and I glance down at my pace band. Goal Pace 7 min 32 sec, Actual pace 7 min 32 sec. Nothing wrong with that pacing buddy – well done, keep it going!

Mile 19

I’m enjoying the tall glass buildings and the atmosphere in Canary wharf, but I worry if it will mess with my GPS watch?  The 30k mat appears and I’m reasonably pleased with my split time, only a few seconds down on my plan. I grab a water from the aid station as it’s time for my last electrolyte tab of the day. The heat and humidity don’t seem to be bothering me right now, so hopefully, this one will see me through to the end. Goal Pace 7 min 36 sec, Actual pace 7 min 18 sec

Mile 20

Lots of twists and turns on the course here, but there are bands out and the atmosphere is brilliant. We pass under the DLR and I recognise parts of the course that I from the train saw going to the Expo on Friday. I look ahead and there’s a long straight on Poplar High street. The sun has come out and I notice the heat for the first time today. Not struggling, but I’m aware of the pace for sure. The 20 mile marker comes into sight. I’m still roughly on pace, but this turns out to be my second slowest mile of the race. Goal Pace 7 min 32 sec, Actual pace 7 min 42 sec

Mile 21

10k to go, I tell myself. You’ve got this. Time for gel number 4, and a quick sip of water to wash it down. We’re headed west now, back towards the finish and I notice the breeze in my face. I decide to knuckle down and just concentrate on the blue line and get to the end of this mile. This uncomfortable feeling will pass. I won’t give into it.  Goal Pace 7 min 34 sec, Actual pace 7 min 37 sec

Mile 22

And all of a sudden, I recognise where I am, back at the other side of the road from mile 13-14. As I pass over the 35km mat, I distract myself by watching the runners on the other side of the barrier. Some of them look as tired as I’m feeling! The final cups of Lucozade appear on my right and I gratefully take one to top up my reserves. The tiredness in the legs has lifted somewhat now and the pace seems to come a little easier. How quickly things can change from mile to mile in a marathon!  Goal Pace 7 min 33 sec, Actual pace 7 min 31 sec

Mile 23

4 miles to go. The Shard comes into view. It seems like an eternity since I was at the halfway point and the 13 mile marker on the other side of the road. Huge, vocal crowds now on my right. As we reach Tower Bridge, the course splits us away to the right and past the Tower of London. I recognise this part of the course. My clubmate and I jogged from here to the finish on Friday evening. In my head I remember it being an easy run, mostly flat or downhill. This is a huge psychological win. Once I reach the 23 mile marker I decide to push on. I can do 5k, right? Goal Pace 7 min 39 sec, Actual pace 7 min 26 sec. Keep it steady.

Mile 24

I’m trying to follow the blue racing line as well as I can. Loads of cheers for Ireland and my name along this part of the course because of my singlet. The breeze is still in my face, but it’s not bothering me too much. I’m just focussed on maintaining my pace now.  I find some shelter from the sunshine with the tall buildings and then we’re into Blackfriars tunnel which gives a respite from the elements and the noise. Goal Pace 7 min 32 sec, Actual pace 7 min 29 sec

Mile 25

Huge crowds on my right. The noise is actually a little bit distracting. At 24.4 miles on my watch, I look down and mentally add 15 minutes (2 x 7.30 miles). Looks like sub 3.20 is very achievable, which gives me a great boost. Running along the Embankment now with lovely views of the river.  I can see the London Eye over the water in the distance. I cross the 40k mat. My split looks okay. My confidence grows. A mile and a half to go. Time to empty the tank. Goal Pace 7 min 35 sec, Actual pace 7 min 32 sec

Mile 26.

The course is dead flat. I can see Big Ben ahead in the distance. Something to focus on and aim for. The crowds are insane and the volume is deafening. I round the corner and there’s Westminster Abbey.  Into St James’s park and at around 25.75 miles, I see a small, black haired girl, matching me stride for stride running about a metre to my left. I look across and tell her she’s going really well. “Come on”, she says, “let’s go for it”. So we both kick on through the park. We pass under the 26 mile archway. In London, it simply says “385 yards to go”.

Goal Pace 7 min 35 sec, Actual pace 7 min 23 sec. Speeding up.

Mile 26 to finish line

It’s right before Buckingham palace. I look left and take a moment to absorb the view before giving a little salute and putting my head down for the final push. My new running buddy is still on my left as we round the corner onto The Mall. I’ve dreamed about this many times over the past few years, and especially over the past 18 weeks of training. Visualizing myself running down the Mall, feeling strong. Now I’m actually living it. I go to the well one last time to see what’s left.  I pump the legs and find another gear. My pace is well under 7 min miles now. Flying along, nothing can stop me. I look left and right to the people cheering from the grandstands you see on TV. I’m thinking of all those who supported me on this training campaign. There are 2 red finish chute gates just ahead. The one on the left is lit by bright sunshine. I aim for that one. I let out a huge whoop as I cross the line – head and arms raised. This is the greatest feeling in the world. I’m finishing the London marathon. Goal Pace 7 min 30 sec, Actual pace 6 min 57 sec

Post finish.

I stop my watch and it takes a moment to fully comprehend the time on the display. 3.19.16. You’ve done it, Mike, you broke 3.20! A 6 minute PB. I take a few paces forward, then turn around and look back up the course from the direction I’ve come. The Mall, the palace, the finish chutes, the other runners. I fist bump my running buddy. I am very emotional.  This is a moment that will live long in the memory. I want it to last forever, so slowly I travel through the finisher’s area. After what seems like quite a long walk, I reach my kit bag with my medal and finisher t-shirt. The lady volunteer who hands it to me comments about my Ireland singlet and tells me her mother is from Caherciveen. It’s a small world. I find a nice shady spot in St James Park, and lie on the grass savouring the atmosphere and processing what I have achieved. I catch up with family on the phone I’ve stashed in my kit bag and sip on a chocolate milk and a can of coke.  After an hour, a rest and a change of clothes, it’s time for a walk through Trafalgar Square, a few photos and I get a tube back to my hotel. I will celebrate tonight!

London, you were magnificent and lived up to all my expectations. This is one marathon that I will never forget.

MtM

Post edited by MiketheMechanic on

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Excellent read, well done on a great achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Super run and report. I hope some of those photos turned out well for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That's just brilliant, Mike, talk about a perfect execution of the plan. Many congrats - as someone who has not yet reached that 3:20 goal in many attempts, I know what it means. Well done.

Thanks for the kind words Denis. I put in a fairly solid 18-week training block, and it all worked out very well on the day.

I was fortunate and everything went my way. You have to celebrate the PBs when they come along.

I remember being really impressed when you told me you were running sub 3.30s in McGrattans after a DCM a few years ago.

It got me thinking that maybe some day I could go sub 3.30 too!

I'm not sure what the next goal will be - maybe try to qualify for Boston with enough margin to be in with a shot of getting in.

Small incremental gains. Maybe try to improve my Half and 10 mile times. 

I made a list of what went well for London - around 10 major items, and 10 other things.

I could only come up with 3 or 4 things to improve.

I'm sure I'll be back on here for advice for the next adventure.

MtM

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭FinnC

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I must have a look at this Hal Higdon schedule you used. Haven't checked out his plans in some time (used one for my debut but never since).

I found the Hal Higdon Advanced plan t be very good, for me, at least.

I tweaked it slightly to put in elements of Hanson and other bits to help. I'm happy to share - just pm or whatever works.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ross Runner

My London Marathon experience.....

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Ron Scott

Enjoyed reading that Mike, I was that Corkman beside you on the bus 😀 Glad it went well for you, must have been the quality chats alright!

Great to meet you Ron. I was glad of the chat to calm my nerves! Hope you had a great race.

MtM

Advertisement