Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matthew Perry (Chandler) has died

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭KaneToad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Theyre all very talented people. Aniston has had a good career and Courtney Cox had a career even before Friends. Schwimmer, for my money, is an amazing comic actor and seems to have many strings to his bow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 33,358 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Schwimmer was the one early on who convinced the rest of the cast to negotiate their contracts as a group rather than individually. It meant when the show became successful they had huge bargaining power and it's a big reason why they got such huge wages.

I hated his character, but Schwimmer definitely seems to have his head screwed on right.

Chandler was far and away my favourite character though. They all started out as decent characters, but over the seasons they all became such wacky and exaggerated versions of themselves and mostly became super dumb and annoying (Joey and Phoebe in particular, as bad as they were in early seasons they were absolute morons by the end). Chandler was probably the most consistent throughout. Perry had him nailed right from the start and there was little change needed to him over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

That's fair. I didn't mean they weren't good actors in their own right, I just meant Perry was basically playing himself or some version of himself. He was a very witty, sharp and funny guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

They were always very united as a cast.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they are co-ordinating so they can pay tribute to Matthew together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Technically he could. He was born in the US and had US citizenship.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Probably still processing the news themselves, it's not even been 24 hours yet. I personally find it tacky when people rush to social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Here he is taking on Peter Hitchens for his opinions on addiction and talking about his own experience with it on BBC 10 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,622 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,574 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Sad news, poor guy, way to young. Didn't know he went to school with Justin Trudeau.

As for the edgy "never rated friends" crew that inexplicably insist on posting & obviously watched the series, a single ad slot in the Friends finale during the cost $2 million.

That's ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

It was a cultural phenomenon.

I think it was the last "big" sitcom before internet and smartphones changed the landscape.

It defined the 90s and Gen X culture.

I remember feeling excited on Monday nights as the theme tune played.

Seinfeld was big in America but more niche here. Likewise Frasier.

Simpsons was probably close in terms of audience and impact.

I think the characters were so likable, charming, charismatic, good-looking etc which made it so popular.

I think nowadays it might be called a "super normal stimulus".

Post edited by orangerhyme on

• Registered Users Posts: 55,030 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Very sad. Young man. Chandler in seasons 1-4 Friends one a the best comedy characters ever. So brilliantly portrayed and delivered by Perry.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

So very sad, he made me laugh many times but seemed such a tortured soul in recent years. R.I.P.

He was born in Massachusetts for those saying he was Canadian btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

To be fair modern audiences have no sense of humour which is why the medium has died out. If selfishness and superficiality grate modern audiences that is some irony right there. Maybe that paragraph was a p*sstake by you though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ Cup

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make at this stage, but you seem to be trying to say that it's OK to call Matthew Perry a junkie, despite saying that people baulk at using this unpleasant term for celebrities, because he may or may not have been taking drugs at the time of his death. I would say that the onus is on you to prove that you knew he was actively using at the time of making that statement, and you should still take a look at the your derogatory and damaging language. How he is comparable to the poor guy in the wet sleeping bag, who you also know is taking drugs, is getting a bit lost in the mist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

I think you're overestimating me there kowlooney. I wouldn't be smart enough to be that sarcastic. It wasn't a piss take of modern audiences.

Far from it. If the medium you reference is comedy; then I firmly believe that the current generation of screen/tv writers are primarily to blame for the sh*te peddled as humour these days. Followed by Studios/Production Companies and then finally, audiences.

The all important financial bottom-line $eems to have smoothed over and beiged-out all the edginess and novelty from modern comedy. With a few honourable exceptions.

Studios/Producers default mode these days seems to be short-term scrambling for immediate success. Immediate financial success. Nothing is allowed to be nurtured. Comedy junk food that's ultimately as unsatisfying as any McDonalds.

A good analogy would be the so-called 'Shrinkflation' we've been hearing about recently...e.g. a Mars bar is now 25% smaller than it was 10 years ago, yet more expensive. You can't really blame the consumer for that. And these manufacturers hope the consumers either won't notice or care. Best case scenario, too dumb to notice.

Comedy has been dumbed down too - an endless parade of the most transparent of punchlines covered with that grubby condom of manic canned-laughter. It's horrible. The ultra-lazy or simply untalented writing is a result of too many jobs being available, in a sphere which has exploded due to the rise of Streaming.

So you end up with mediocre ten-a-penny writers. Producing bland inoffensive tripe, safe in the knowledge that the next job is only an email away, just as soon as this latest show goes down the crapper. What's worse, is that the general output has gone through it's own process of the 'Shrinkflation', the jokes are less frequent and less funny, inferior ingredients... at least to my taste. And, we're paying more.

Having said all that, tl:dr - Modern audiences are being sold sh*te but they're also buying sh*te. So who do ya blame?

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Friends seasons 1 and 2 were razor sharp comedy, but as with many successful commercial sitcoms the quality really nosedived after that. Half the cast became caricatures and like Homer in the Simpsons went from vaguely relatable goofballs to outright obnoxious cartoons.

But Mathew Perry always brought an effortless charm and timing that was always the standout - it remains a slight shame he couldn't break out into more cinematic roles but perhaps he was victim to typecasting, that eternal curse for successful TV actors. RIP either way, the guy had his demons and his frankness was a tonic in a world that'd otherwise try to shame and Other those with problems needing help and support. The steps you need to miss to get to where Perry found himself are not that many.

Friends as all definitely Of the Era - but so is all comedy. Ever read a Shakespeare "comedy"? Lol. Yeah some of Friends has aged like milk but it should be possible to consider it contextually as well, notwithstanding things like the Gay Panic nonsense; no more than one would do same with I Love Lucy, Taxi, Fresh Prince or uh, The Cosby Show or other sitcom behemoths.from generations past. This idea the sitcom or comedy is dead now is just 🙄 and a bit asinine; tastes change, styles change. Not least the fact that the studio audience sitcom has died a death and the future classics all have/had no laugh track. But there have been a slew of fabulous sitcoms, and there's an argument the writing has never been as smart and funny.

Maybe the more accurate thing to say is that the "must tune in at 8pm" phenomenon is dead, not comedy. There's no longer these single shows the world and its mother tunes into and become this global topic for chat the next day. Streaming and binging has changed the nature of how big shows work and they're no longer these universal pivots

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,827 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That's BBC balance for you. Have someone who knows what they're on about engage with some finger-wagging professional troll in the name of "balance".

As for Friends, I had to make do with whatever episode E4 was showing. I did watch the whole thing a few years ago on Netflix. The early seasons were definitely the better ones. I enjoyed it all the way through but the quality really drops once Monica and Chandler tie the knot. You could say the decline had set in before that. For instance, Joey redecorates Monica's bathroom and does a good job of it early on. Then, when he's leaving for the airport, he doesn't know that he needs to bring his passport. At the end of the series, Chandler and Monica need a "Joey room" in their new house.

It started with each character having their own arc. Monica wanted to be a great chef, Ross loved Rachel, Rachel was trying to become independent and acquire a career, Phoebe was looking for her father, Joey wanted to be an actor and Chandler couldn't figure out what career he wanted. A few seasons in, they sadly switched the focus to zany, one-episodes arcs and guest appearances.

I don't think anything has been dumbed down. Tastes have shifted but there's still plenty of comedy types to suit everyone. Saying that modern audiences have no sense of humour is just a pathetic attempt to be edgy.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As for Friends, I had to make do with whatever episode E4 was showing. I did watch the whole thing a few years ago on Netflix. The early seasons were definitely the better ones. I enjoyed it all the way through but the quality really drops once Monica and Chandler tie the knot. You could say the decline had set in before that. For instance, Joey redecorates Monica's bathroom and does a good job of it early on. Then, when he's leaving for the airport, he doesn't know that he needs to bring his passport. At the end of the series, Chandler and Monica need a "Joey room" in their new house.

I think it's a problem that's somewhat unavoidable with "grounded" sitcoms. Ostensibly normal characters all have types and templates but once the early seasons burn through the core conflicts and trajectories, all what's left is the character's traits that made them popular - so in the rush for gags those traits become all there is. There's nowhere to go except a cycle of ever increasing caricature.

New Girl was a good example IMO where they avoided the problem of caricature by having all the main cast start off as maniacs and building from there. In fact they went the opposite way: everyone starting off as 2D crazy people, then the layers got added as they matured and grew outwards, not inward. And yeah it was also an example of a excellent latter-day sitcom, and one that again, didn't use an audience. Ditto something like The Good Place, starting with the crazy people, not ending there.

I've become somewhat immune to the cadence of gag - pause for laughter - gag, it seems so clumsy compared with proper joke setup. I think all the writing that used to find homes at Hollywood comedies have just decamped to TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

American sitcoms have always been more gag, one liner focused compared to British ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You should stop trying to twist things for point scoring simply because I referred to other posters lauding the deceased for his drug addiction. Get a better hobby

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Strongly agree with your analysis of Friends but strongly disagree with the utter nonsense of your last paragraph. Comedy has been dumbed down because modern audiences don't understand comedy. And by that I mean the social media generation. They have turned Friends racist and turned the likes of Bill Burr into a shell of himself, yielding to lunatics.

And don't attempt to put me down again my suggestion I'm trying to be edgy as if I'm a fraud and my opinions are not genuine. That is pathetic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,827 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It must be an American thing. Here in the UK, the people who created the show tend to be the writers and once they've felt like they've used up all of their ideas, they close it down. In the US, they have huge staffs of professional writers so ideas can be generated much more easily which can be both blessing and curse.

I prefer the older stuff. I watched a clip of The Big Bang Theory with the laugh track removed and it makes the whole thing look much more hollow, particularly when the jokes fail to land which is a lot of the time.

I've not seen New Girl but I absolutely adore The Good Place so I'd be inclined to agree.

No, they haven't. This wailing about woke is tedious so I won't be engaging any further.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭squonk

There’s a tendency now to measure everything from any period against current norms and acceptabilities and to proactively and loudly damn then if they don’t measure up to what the current beliefs dictate. No concept of acknowledging it was filmed or written in a different time and either deciding personally it wasn’t for you or watching but picking the bits that were relevant or enjoying it as a whole while acknowledging the views of the time don’t fit with your own and just moving on.

Similarly another thing that seems to have died with the internet age is graciousness and decency and general cop on. While everyone has an opinion on Matthew Perry, there’s a reason for the adage of not speaking ill of the dead. Mainly in a more local level that there are people who loved the deceased and are fragile so listening to anyone badmouthing them is torturous and very emotive. On an internet level it’s similar. True, none of us knew him personally but he spent much of the 90s in a lot of living rooms each week so had lots of fans who are feeling sorry about his loss right now. It hardly seems like a huge sacrifice to refrain from thinking the worst of him or venting on what was disliked about him for a few weeks. We all will have the rest of our lives however long that will be to discuss friends and Matthew Perry at length.

Post edited by squonk on

• Advertisement

Not as much as before; stuff like The Office onward necessitated less gag conveyor belts from sitcoms by production alone.

To be fair, the pressures of delivering 22 episodes on American commercial, network TV would have always been different to the BBC; the writing room a necessity born from the sheer volume alone.

Even that has changed now, as again digital platforms have basically killed the 20+ episode season of TV, so you see stuff like The Good Place where the seasons never ran past 10 episodes. So suddenly you had room for organic growth, arcs and tighter structure than the panic to fill so much filler.

And no doubt that high pressure shooting schedule of a bazillion episodes only piled further pressure on Perry, as you'd speculate if he'd have slipped so badly were Friends a 10 episode show.

Advertisement