Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matthew Perry (Chandler) has died

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Do you mind elaborating on how digital platforms killed off 20+ episode seasons of TV shows?

Regarding Perry, apparently he had no recollection of filming the middle seasons at all which is profoundly depressing. That's a good point regarding the potential link between pressure and his addiction problems.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Killed only insofar as I reckon the dominance of digital platforms dictated the shape of media, the clout therein; and I guess netflix had no reason to fill its "schedule" with primetime comedies plus advertising space that'd come with that.

Easy to forget those old sitcoms would have had 3, 4 advert breaks when broadcast on network TV so stands to reason they tended to stack 'em high, episodes wise. In fact IIRC some channels would play sitcoms at 1.2x speed to squeeze in an extra advert in the runtime, without the speed bump bring too noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,310 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think the Perry situation seems to be a case of the gilded cage being his downfall. Didn't he struggle after being 'typecast' in Friends as well?

Only a few days ago I saw this youtube video where it was asked why celebrities (American in particular) are always depressed.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,337 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A joint statement.

"We are all so utterly devastated by the loss of Matthew. We were more than just cast mates. We are a family," "There is so much to say, but right now we’re going to take a moment to grieve and process this unfathomable loss."

"In time we will say more, as and when we are able," "For now, our thoughts and our love are with Matty’s family, his friends, and everyone who loved him around the world."

The message is then signed by Aniston, Cox, Kudrow, LeBlanc and Schwimmer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Handled well I think. Better than individual statements. There's really not much more to say when you're still processing a loss that's come as such a shock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Demonique

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Demonique

I heard that if you have heart problems its not advised to be in a hot tub alone as you can lose consciousness

Apparently he had over a dozen surgeries to correct damage caused to his stomach by alcohol and prescription medication so that might also have contributed to his death

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

• Registered Users Posts: 85,241 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I read Lisa Kudrow wants to have his dog 😥

• Registered Users Posts: 16,417 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

There's no point speculating, he's gone. What he should and shouldn't have done, and his medical history won't change that.

Let him rest in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Studio 60 was so underrated, really great show, and he was excellent in The West Wing. Friends was very funny, yeah some of the episodes haven't aged well, but some of them are still laugh out loud funny. And in the 90s/00s it was must watch tv. Sad he died so young.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

IIRC Studio 60 was one of the shows & movies who got canned 'cos of the last big Hollywood Strike; shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Great episode. Scrubs was another brilliant comedy from that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

It also launched the same year as 30 rock. 2 comedies on NBC at same time about late night comedy shows, but one had the backing of Lorne Michaels from SNL. It (studio 60) was destined to fail unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭markw7

Don't know if thats wise.... her smelly cat certainly won't be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Echo both of these posts .

Very sad for many because of his acting and not just that , his honesty about addiction and treatment .

There are some here who may not be aware that coming out about one's addictions was a big no no up until recently .

We can debate the ins and outs of his career here but to see that somebody who fought so hard to get and stay clean has died at a relatively young age underlines the permanent damage drugs and alcohol do to a person's body.

That is if he did indeed die of a heart attack ?

Also bit harsh re his finances.. Think if somebody has money it may even be more difficult to stay off drugs once clean .

That said I was and still am a Friends fan , particularly enjoyed his character and dry wit , and would often watch a repeat now and laugh at the carry on . It's of it's time and it does the whole 'living in a rental/ first experience away from home ' very well .

It might be a situation our children don't get because they are still living at home !

RIP Matthew Perry.

Watch Dopesick or read about oxy . These are not addictions of " overindulgence " .

It really is nothing to do with his money except as said above harder to stay clean .

Addiction is for life unfortunately.

Only seeing this now and, yikes: they do say that you eventually gain the face that matches your personality, and in Hitchens' case he both looks and sounds like a c*nt as to match his opinions. Addiction is a terrible thing to befall someone - and as the opioid problem in America proves, too easy to happen to us all - and even being such a gigantic piece of shít I'd hope Hitchens never has to watch a loved one diminish because of addiction.

Addiction is a life long disease . So what if they do find " drugs in his system "?

It's still a tragedy and worse , if a relapse caused his death .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,270 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Nobody would pay any attention to Peter Hitchens if a) he wasn't Christopher Hitchens' brother, and b) he didn't take opposing views to almost everything and therefore is one of the go-to people for "balance" to go up against people with actual experience, knowledge and education on a subject.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This may be true but for some time, "balance" in UK media involves having an expert and pairing them with a professional crank like Hitchens. It's possible he'd be where he is regardless.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Yeah, Would agree with that assessment. He was lucky to live as long as he did and had a few close calls previously. The book was a strange one, as he didn't really make any attempts to portray himself in a positive light, almost the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think he seemed pretty aware of how poorly he has treated people in his life, especially partners.

With the b) part of that you have basically described about 90% of Current Affairs' near permanently threadbanned users.

Made me laugh!

I thought you were about to say 90% of the contrarian panellists on BBC , and did a double take of what you posted ;))

Very worthy of a Matthew Perry RIP thread !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Friends will go down as a classic.

I saw a clip recently where Ross says to Joey "can I speak to for a moment about something I'm very uncomfortable talking about?"

Joey responds "Sure, how about you showering with your Mom?".

Ross "I actually had a topic in mind".

I don't laugh easy but "Friends" still makes me laugh out loud.

I think it had a magic to it.

I think the bond of the actors in real life shone through the screen. Also great writing and performances.

I found Chandler and Ross the funniest. Ross started out kind of lame and hang dog but became very funny.

Jennifer Aniston's brilliant also. She would've had a brilliant career regardless if she was cast in Friends or not. She may even have had a better career if she hadn't been cast. A rival to Sandra Bullock and Julia Roberts maybe as America's sweetheart.

It definitely dropped off in quality around season 5 or 6 maybe but it was so huge they had to continue. Most people say Chandler and Monica getting together is the turning point.

I think young people who weren't there won't understand how much of a cultural phenomenon it was. The world was simpler back then with lots of people in Ireland only had 2 TV channels so big TV shows were huge.

I remember people even talking like "Friends". Monica's "I know!" and Chandler's head nod when he laughed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Sad news about Matthew, one of my favourites with him was the blackout episode where he gets stranded in a atm with a model.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,021 ✭✭✭applehunter

RIP Matthew Perry.

Friends was a load of shite, apart from the Ross character that was solid.

Almost Heroes(1998) was one of my favourite comedies growing up.

Chris Farley and Mattew Perry were the bombastic unknown rivals to the "Lewis and Clark expidition"

Completely stupid, overacting to the max, but all the way comedy.

These kind of movies are not made anymore for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,021 ✭✭✭applehunter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Another similar interaction that always makes me laugh. It's the simple things in Friends. A lot of the comedy is more how it's delivered than the actual lines themselves.

Ross: I don't want Rachel to hate me. I don't know what to do.

Joey: You want my advice?

Ross: Yes, please!

Joey: You're not gonna like it.

Ross: That's okay.

Joey: You got married too fast.

Ross: Joey, that's not advice.

Joey: I told ya.

Advertisement