Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matthew Perry (Chandler) has died

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,103 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

No, the poster just said they didn't like that show (hardly a crime now?)

Then they said that if he hadn't had so much money, he might not have developed those issues. Do you disagree? Nobody knows if this is correct or not, but it is a reasonable thing to say. You seem to read it as a personal attack on the deceased.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,354 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I feel like he should have had a much better career than he actually did. He was enormously talented but his addiction problem held him back.

He says in his book apparently that he's the celebrity whose death would surprise nobody. Very sad. RIP.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Since he developed the addiction as a result of drugs prescribed for an injury, yep it's pretty possible that he would have developed an addiction. You know most opiate addicts aren't rich? The wealth made the option of recovery more accessible in the end though which it sadly isn't for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Addiction is a scourge. To laugh or mock someone is the lowest of the low.

Rip chandler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

FFS, if you've nothing to say just don't say it. So, you didn't rate Friends. Millions did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

You really shouldn’t attempt humour or quips, Donald. You just aren’t funny. That’s ok, lots of people aren’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,882 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

His recent book was a tough, but interesting read, it was very warts and all, still sad news.

That's perfectly fine Bobson. There are lots of humourless dry sh1tes around. I just don't get too upset on their behalf. I've no problem with you if you are one of them.

It's probably not the best to engage too much with a brand new account so I'll leave it there

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭clampedusa

Hes the funniest in the world. People say it all the time. They ask him 'how are you so funny'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭McFly85

RIP Matthew.

Friends was an absolute game changer for television comedy in the 90s and in many ways embodied the decade, and Chandler was an absolute highlight of the show.

An immensely talented actor who would have been far more prolific without his addiction problems, 54 is far too young to go too. A real tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭Homelander

Loved him in The Whole Nine Yards, a classic easy watch movie.

I'm a huge friends fan, I've seen every episode infinite times and often have it on in the background when working.

No show is for everyone, there's more than a few popular shows that I just don't "get", but anything that becomes a global phenomenom like friends did is doing something very right.

His addiction stemmed from a genuine serious accident, he's just one of millions of people who got addicted to opiods in the 90s as they were pushed far too aggressively and readily. The show Dopesick is an excellent drama about how that happened.

His story really is tragic and he was an undeniable talent, his comic acting was superb. I personally think him and David Schwimmer carried friends, not to say the others aren't good but they were by far the funniest with better range than the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,093 ✭✭✭prunudo

Friends wasn't really my thing, but the older we get the greater the chance we will lose icons or celebrities who shaped our youth and often contuine to do so. Depending on who they are or your connection with them will effect different people differently. But unfortunately a lot are taken too early due to their lifestyle through either addiction, drugs or the high risk sport they take part in (motorsport).

As I said in the past when my hero's have passed, thank you for entertaining us, rest easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭893bet

Could he “be” anymore dead?

i remember as a young teen in the 90s not being allowed to watch friends 😀. Too many sex references. A great show of its time.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭moonage

"Mispellt." Oops!

I've never been able to get through a full episode of Friends.

I recently saw him in The Whole Nine Yards, which was was pretty enjoyable.

I wonder did his previous drug taking have any bearing on the cardiac arrest. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Ray Liotta, Coolio, Taylor Hawkins, Kirstie Alley, Norm McDonald, Maradona, Chris Cornell, Dolores O'Riordan, Whitney Houston, Shane Warne, Meat Loaf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭HBC08

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ Cup

Junkie is an unnecessarily provocative word, but that’s probably why you used it.

Attempting to recover from a serious addiction is horrendously difficult and painful, and it is a lifelong effort. Many with similar addictions as Matthew had do not make it. Addiction itself is no walk in the park for that matter.

Getting clean and going on to help many others is laudable in itself, and there is no doubt that Matthew changed a lot of lives for the better.

Have some decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

His mother was the press secretary of Trudeau senior and his father was an actor/model in LA who got steady tv work. Matthew went to the same school as Trudeau junior for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

You do wonder if people like this were cursed when they found success in showbiz

might have been a lot better had he been a regular nine to five guy , the millions allowed him over indulge in prescription drugs following his injury

I used that word because I knew the response to it would confirm my point. The posters who baulk at it being used in relation to someone wealthy and famous likely have no issue with it being used for the poor person lying in that wet sleeping bag. They will have compassion for the former but not for the latter. The latter has far less options or hope than the former too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭airy fairy

You don't have to have millions to be addicted. An addict of anything will source his/her hit regardless of wealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,634 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes it did if it had any humour at all it was all so fake and forced.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I suppose the question would be what an 18 year old would choose if you gave them the choice of living fast and dying young or having an average life and living into your 80's. Maybe even a 25 year old or 30 year old.

You'd probably find a split in the responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭furiousox

Boards should just rebrand as 'X' at this stage.

So many threads with people barking and bickering with each other.....

#tedious

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 15,634 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I am not the only one in here who did not like or rate it so why are you picking on me?

It's sad about Mathew Perry. He had a mostly good life do and with the money he had could have done anything even could have ran to be President of the USA if he wanted but unfortunately he never will now.

Was worth at least 80 million dollars.

I hope it was just a heart failure that killed him and not some drugs overdose because if it was that then its even sadder and a waste of a life.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

Friends was a show of it's time really. The humour hasn't aged well; some of the mean-spirited selfishness of the Seinfeld era still lingered in the writing and the one-note superficiality of the characters can grate with modern audiences.

However Perry's performance always seemed to be a cut above the rest. His screen presence and comic timing and writing contributions made his character the heart of the show. **** all that Ross and Rachel bullshit.

That his abilities shone through his addictions is a testiment to the man.

Rip Man

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The one where a really funny guy with addiction issues died way too soon.

Advertisement