Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Andy Farrell get the adoration Jack Charlton got?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭twinytwo

You dont like Irish rugby, we get it. The fact you go around gloating is kind of sad tbh. Easy to talk from an armchair though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Ah, really they did bottle it. Of the top four teams in the quarter finals, Ireland were always going to be the ones most likely not to make it through. (I know France didn't either.) Ireland just have that mental block getting to the semi-finals. If they had beaten New Zealand, I'd say that would have won the competition. The fact is that they couldn't beat a very beatable New Zealand side while having an extra man for a quarter of the match.

Those lads you list might not be from South Dublin, but the majority are from the same world of fee-paying school education, rather than your regular secondary-levels schools.

(And it was Cagliari, not Calgary.)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭cal naughton

Of course they bottled it. 17 games unbeaten,hot favourites and world number 1 going into the tournament.

It's the equivalent of arsenal leading the premiership all last year up until the final few games and losing the league and that is widely called out as a bottle job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

The problem with rugby in Ireland is that the Ireland team has historically been comprised of the same South County Dublin private school boys who run the Irish national media. For that reason the media is extremely sympathetic towards the rugby team.

When Ireland are well and hammering Romania, or Tonga they’re the brave gladiators taking all comers. Not only will they go to the World Cup but they will win it and handily so.

It’s conveniently been forgotten two weeks later but people were absolutely treating the New Zealand game as a gimme before it was played. The Ireland private school boys are the sons of Achilles to a man, fighting hordes with flaming swords.

When they go to the tournament and bottle a win over a very beatable New Zealand side, the same private school boys in the media flood the narrative with the excuses about bad draws, how they didn’t actually bottle the win the system was rigged against them. We were robbed.

It’s not that they weren’t good enough to win the tournament, not our boys, it was the draw. Also they weren’t favourites they were one of four favourites, and the fact that they couldn’t get past the final eight as one of four favourites wasn’t a bottle job it was the draw’s fault.

Obviously this nonsense from the media should be expected because of the reasons I laid out above, but I’m genuinely surprised to see so many fans sitting here parroting the same excuses over and over again. It betrays a real lack of media literacy and critical thinking in some of the rugby fans.

Blaming the draw is fine when you’re someone like Romania who played one of the favourites in the tournament in the first game, they weren’t expected to go far so a handy draw would suit them to go further than expected. But Ireland were expecting to go out there and win the whole thing, to prove that they were the best. The “bad side of the draw” shouldn’t matter to them.

The best teams go out and beat whoever’s in front of them, they don’t need sympathetic draws to give them easy wins. The best don’t bottle it against beatable opponents in the quarter finals. The best don’t make excuses. The best win tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,935 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The real reason we're out is because we inspired the all blacks who were not in a good place before we played them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭yagan

I enjoy watching rugby but I think it's real problem is it's a brutal sport.

Knowing what we know now about sports science I doubt it would allowed become a sport now. It would probably be considered a field version of cage fighting with teams and a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Lets have a look at those players you named and see their background is

Caelan Doris (Mayo) - Went to school in Blackrock (Fee Paying)

JVDF (Wicklow) - Wesley (Fee Paying)

Peter O'Mahony (Cork) - PBC Cork (Fee Paying)

Beirne (Kildare) - Clongowes Wood College (Fee Paying)

Furlong (Wexford) - Normal secondary school

Herring (Belfast) - South African born and bred

Henderson, (Belfast) - Went to Belfast Royal Academy (Fee Paying)

Loughman (Munster) - Finished his schooling at Blackrock (Fee Paying)

Earls (Limerick) - Normal secondary school

Murray (Limerick) - Normal secondary school

Henshaw (Westmeath) - Normal secondary school

McCloskey (Ulster)- Went to Bangor Grammar School which as far as I can tell is not fee paying

Kilcoyne (Munster) - Normal secondary school

Crowley (Cork) - Bandon Grammar School (Fee Paying)

Casey (Limerick)- Normal secondary school

Conan (Wicklow) - St Gerard's School (Fee Paying)

Jimmy O'Brien (Kildare) - Newbridge College (Fee Paying)

Of you list 9 went to fee paying schools and one was a South African who went to a fancy school there.

So even though these guys are not from the environs of south county Dublin half of them were privately educated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Were people treating New Zealand as a gimme? I think people were confident we would put in a good performance and that it would be a 1 score game that we could easily fall on the losing side which ended up being the case.

New Zealand could have been beaten by us no doubt but that we didnt doesnt mean we bottled the game.

Which private school guys in the media?

The draw was a huge factor in us going out in 1/4s. there is no way you can question/query that?

Trying to bring in Romania is nonsense for a number of reasons. they realistically were aiming for a win in maybe 1 game anyway. Romania qualified for wc and our pool because Spain wereq thrown out for fielding an ineligible player in uqualifying games.

Spell check on my phone re Cagliari.

Well they're not South County Dublin as the poster said. That's all I was debating.

A lot of salt of the earth people went to fee paying schools who had hard working parents, who often only went to National School and maybe a few years in secondary, it's not something to begrudge someone about. Many middle class parents can afford to sen their children to a fee paying school if they wish. In this generation the whole demographic of who plays rugby is changing as witnessed by the spread of Dublin and rural clubs.

When children think of Irish national teams they see a timid soccer manager and a poor team with a majority of players who play with clubs they don't recognise. They see a rugby team that is performing way above it's level. Beating big countries, with huge resources, like France and England, champions of Europe, mixing it with the best. Cagliari was 33 years ago, as relevant to kids today as a football match from the 1950s to me when I was 14. The FAI is a joke in comparison to the GAA and IRFU. The FAI and it's members and supporters would best spend their time sorting out their own affairs rather than begrudging other sports.

I think the rugby songs are better too 🤪

I'd say it's been pointed out but the Fr. Ted priest was Fr. Tod Unctious?

Yes fee paying schools but the poster said south county Dublin. So she\he left themselves open to it.

• Advertisement

And 80% of the starting Irish team v NZ were Irish born or Irish parents. You won't get that with any Premier League team.

Many plumbers, builders, carpenters and tradesmen in general are better off than the mid rank civil servant who sends a child to private school. So let’s call this argument out for the classist rubbish it is. It's a lifestyle choice where you send children to school.

No point engaging. And less and less posters engage I see. Because like the donkey and the lion parable, the grass is always blue there! And you're nearly aswell to say you're right, the grass is blue🤣

I agree yagan. Like motor neuron is scary. But since before the gladiators in the Colosseum physical confrontation, it brings out something primal in us and a lot of us love that. This always chokes me up.

Hot favourites? Where did you pull that from.

4 teams were around 9/2. France, Ireland, New Zealand and South Africa.

You're just making it up as you go along to suit your personal narrative. Olivia and yourself are modern day seanachai. Great story tellers.

There's no equivalent with Arsenal. Man City are a far superior team and it was only a matter of time before they found form in the PL. They won a treble! Arsenal weren't in their league. Poor comparison. Any one on NZ, France, SA or Ireland can beat the other on a given day. And we have by far the least playing population. We're over achievers.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭cal naughton

Any reply to the 17 games unbeaten and worlds number 1 team not making it to the semis?

Those ratings are meaningless between the top 4 teams. It's not like Ireland were way ahead of the other 3 teams. Shur when they eventually lost a game by a score they dropped to 3rd!

17 games unbeaten, the record is 18, every unbeaten run comes to an end. Surely you realise that? We beat teams in the unbeaten run by a a score, like Australia and South Africa last autumn. A few of those games could go either way.

Comparing treble winning Man City with Arsenal is crazy. Considering how many PL titles Man City have won in the last 6/7 years.

In the RWC we were one of 4 favourites, France had the biggest advantage of the 4 playing at home. We're 6 Nations European champions, a Grand Slam, that's not bottlers. A Grand Slam has been accomplished 42 times in the past 150 odd years. Ireland has only won 4, 1948, 2009, 2018, 2023 in 150 years. That's a serious achievement.

Now stop knocking Irish teams. Our soccer team gave us great times, especially 1988-2002, and they will again PG. I support all Irish teams.

Many plumbers, builders, carpenters and tradesmen in general are better off than the mid rank civil servant who sends a child to private school. So let’s call this argument out for the classist rubbish it is. It's a lifestyle choice where you send children to school.

If only plumbers, builders, carpenters, and tradesmen in general made better lifestyle choices their kids could play rugby for Ireland?

This is opposed to other, elite, sports where the best players are chosen because of merit: talent, hard-work, skill, etc. Not which school they went to, the “lifestyle choices” their parents made.

Being chosen for Ireland rugby depends almost totally on which school you went to, and it’s pretty much the same thing in every top rugby country bar a few exceptions like New Zealand. It’s a game played almost exclusively all around the world by 1%ers.

Olivia,when you beat the best of England, France (with huge playing populations) you have talent. People can send their kids to school where they want, that's what happens in a free country. We've 50,000 registered rugby players and England 800,000. And since 2000 we've beaten them 2 out of 3 years. That's talent and over achieving.

What sport did you play Olivia? If you went to a fee paying school I expect you would have been playing rugby for Ireland in the 1970s with Mike Gibson and Willie John McBride? I know that's in or about your era given posts you made on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

To the OP. No. Never with rugby union. A niche game played with varying levels of skill by 8 to 10 nations globally of whom only two to three can feasibly claim greatness and boast actually prospects of winning the world cup. Ireland, to the many who've claimed they're bottle jobs? Well, in Paris against a more average New Zealand it seems they are as they shouldn't have been so poor.

Apart from asking a bizarre question, notwithstanding Jackie Charlton's temper and propensity for crude football despite his many stellar players it was the perfect storm and a generational era defining, never to be forgotten period. The early Charlton years and peak climax of Italia '90 will never be replicated in terms of the effect on the zeitgeist in Ireland. The period is historically and culturally unparalleled and unforgettable

Good Irish sportspeople have come and gone since but nothing will ever match that period and what Charlton managed to achieve by hook or crook, fortunately or otherwise, cannot be recreated or matched because the other thing that matters is making the people happy and football will always be infinitely superior and greater than anything rugby will ever bring.

• Advertisement

Summation: My sport is greater than your sport 'infinitely superior'🤣 Go to New Zealand or South Africa and tell them rugby can't make them happy this week. Terribly arrogant post. While football is more skillful it could be argued you need more manliness and testicular fortitude for rugby.

Ireland, to the many who've claimed they're bottle jobs? Well, in Paris against a more average New Zealand it seems they are as they shouldn't have been so poor.

This is the correct answer. New Zealand are a weakened side who were there for the taking, Ireland were one of the favourites of the tournament having not lost 17 matches in a row before their meeting.

What happened? Ireland bottled it at the quarter final stage again. New Zealand are going to the final and the Ireland fans are sitting at home poring over the draw with a magnifying glass wondering how it was fixed to Ireland’s detriment. Typical Ireland fans making excuses, the fallen heroes, “we were robbed.” Same old guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,420 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

No rugby fan I talked to said Ireland was robbed.

Ireland is knocked out of the World Cup yet this thread is still going with the same people complaining about rugby. Maybe it people put as much focus into the sport they do support we might be a lot better situation.

For all the shouting from soccer fans in Ireland about rugby, we don't have a proper soccer league. The FAI are a joke. Might be better to use some of that energy to help them

• Registered Users Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But the context of this whole thread is rugby and Ireland.

Not rugby and South Africa or New Zealand.

Well in that case rugby has made a lot of people happy in Ireland this year with a 4th Grand Slam in 150 years!

No other team sport has done as much. Unfortunately football hasn't done much for us since 2016. We'll have good days again in the future hopefully.

To be honest these transparent threads pitting one sport against another are pathetic.

Edit: The poster I replied to was speaking about soccer making people happy in a global sense, hence my reply.

Soccer makes people happy, especially kids

They deserve a proper organisation and a proper route to professional soccer in Ireland. Something we are sadly lacking in 2023. When Charlton had his era in 1990 that should have been a crest of a wave which the FAI could build a league with a whole new generation of young players wanting to emulate the team of 1990. But we are 33 years later and they have done nothing but fill the pocket of a load of dodgy men.

As I said a few times on this thread, if the so called soccer fans would spend as much time demanding the FAI to provide Ireland with a proper setup instead of slagging off rugby because it has managed to get a decent setup you never know what might happen. Getting hammered at home by Greece might not happen

On the subject of kids happiness, unfortunately the playstation seem to make them happiest of all these days. A lot of things make them happy, many sports, and many activities outside sports.

Totally agree with your post re. the FAI.

From a registered player point of view the FAI still have 340k across Ireland more than GAA with 294k and way more than rguby with 150, based on google.

Yes playstation etc is an issue but that's a lot of people playing a sport which at the moment is been let down by the organisation in control

How would the rugby team do if they have 340k players?

Norway/Denmark etc would have similar population, they have 390k registered player in Norway. They have a pro league. I struggle to see why can't have a pro league that young players can progress in and then if they are good enough move to England or other leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,274 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

" I struggle to see why can't have a pro league that young players can progress in and then if they are good enough move to England or other leagues"

Because scouting tends to happen much younger than entering the league (exceptions exist) and even players who don't make it at big clubs can do well in the absolutely massive English football pyramid that dwarfs Italy, Spain, Germany etc.in terms of numbers of fully professional clubs.

But we all know the main reason is the new Man United kits is worth more to most Irish soccer fans than spending that money of a LOI club season ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭17togo

Genuine question to the rugby fans.

Is that era of rugby, late 90s and into the early 2000s not the most enjoyable period of rugby? The players seemed to be more exciting and more off the cuff type of running. They also seemed to be more relatable. They weren't the big machines they are now.

Personally I think the players got too big. And that made the sport less attractive to me, one of the reasons I tuned out too I think.

Advertisement