Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,223 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I don't really keep track of the price, but if a dealer offers +1k, you should easily be able to sell it on adverts for a good bit more than that

5 digits are lovely and elegant, but they're nowhere near to the standard of modern subs and therefore worth a lot less. It really is entry level sub

• Registered Users Posts: 16,645 ✭✭✭✭banie01

That's quite a sweeping statement, yes the 6 digit ceramic sub is a better watch particularly the bracelet, but the 5 digit still commands a decent price.

It also is a good bellwether for the sub range IMO. Unlike the 4 digits, there's a decent supply and their trade values can be followed on watchcharts, watchrecon and Chrono24 aswell as private sales on forums all give a good indication of the underlying resilience in the market.

The sub is a "cool" watch it has cachet and when even dealers are discussing cash flow and buy in prices? Surely it's ok for the rest of us to acknowledge that the downward slide of Rolex has reached the point where it's now possible to buy a sub without too much of a grey premium these days.

I found the thread btw, it's linked below. Reason it caught my eye is that it was a discussion of buy in prices from dealers and in particular a dealer saying that he has 5 on his website with others in stock but not listed, same issue with 5 digit date.

Wonder if said dealer fancies a trade 😉🤔

Don't get me wrong, I like them, although I don't think I'd ever be tempted to buy one, but £5.5k is a very nice price for one. And the reason many people would buy a sub is because it is instantly recognisable.....by others. Those others wouldn't have any idea what sort of sub he has or what it is worth 😁

I would also be genuinely afraid that the way I wear watches - 24/7 under any circumstances, it wouldn't last long on me

• Registered Users Posts: 16,645 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Similar way to how I wear a watch. I tend to even leave them on when I'm in bed. I think with a "tool" watch? They need to at least be exposed to the risk of a ding every once in a while :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

I mentioned a few month ago that my Alpina Alpiner 4 was losing time etc. and wanted it repaired, thanks for the suggestions from a few on here... Anyway as there is no dealer of Alpina in Ireland I was looking at one of the general watch repair businesses. The quotes I got from two of them were terrible though, with 350 euro as the starting point... Which did seem steep to be honest, the watch was only 650 second hand.

I got in touch with Alpina in the UK who directed me to a partner business called Calcul based in Shannon, sent them the watch, quoted 185 for the repair and it was returned good as new yesterday.

They seemed a good outfit too, plenty of comms about the repair, time frames and returning, glad I made the effort to go the Alpina support route.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

I have seen new Subs sitting at 11-12k for private sale on adverts not so sure the appetite is there on the market.

Adverts not the greatest market measure though.

@893bet - agreed. Sales corner is a pretty good measuer though imho.

And a no date sub is €9300 retail, I'd say it would sell within days from a reputable seller on adverts for €10800, quite possibly a good bit more. And of course Rolex upping the price of these substantially over the last couple of years has decreased the gap between retail and grey / private sale

edit…trying to add link to a 12500 OP on adverts but boards fail (again).

https://www.adverts.ie/31858750

fucking lol

• Advertisement

Maybe he's colour blind and thinks it's turquoise 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭micks_address

hi folks,

im hankering after a planet ocean for a while now and thinking of trading my seamaster 300m for one (plus cash) - im looking at a particular reference. Anyone have them and be able to comment on thickness? This is the reference im looking at. Whats the bracelet/clasp like in comparison to the modern seamaster?

Cheers,

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 19,945 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

another dreamer trying to make a quick buck on a yachtmaster aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I spotted this on the gram today. I can afford (in theory) a datejust or sub etc but I doubt I could or would ever stretch to an AP Oak. €500, seiko movement and it looks cool. Fake watches are for fake people, but a homage (ish) with a decent movement isn't the worst is it. I could buy any amount of high grade fakes from the souq for a few hundred euro but I just couldn't.

https://www.watchmodcustom.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I got one of their watches a while ago as a daily beater. No complaints with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Which one takes your fancy?

Prices seem saucy but he is using better quality parts than most. Still, there's a few there that he's easily turning a couple hundred on or at least it seems so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭H_Lime

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Ryath

Think there's a hint of Solás about this! I do like the moonphase.

Post edited by Ryath on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Anyone know what happened with Solas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Good Q Scwazrh... I had put money aside to get the dove watch that was being developed.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I've seen the TZ-UK forum mentioned a few times, but any time I've tried to register it's not allowing it - too many bogus requests apparently...

Has anyone on here joined them recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭micks_address

hi folks,

has anyone ever had to file a claim for a lost watch in transit with Secursus? I posted a watch that's running a bit late (pun intended) on arrival. Insured with Secursus via AnPost. Just wondering how tricky the process is if i need to file a claim? Will give it another few days anyway before losing the faith.

Cheers,

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

What watch straps sites are you all using?

I've been trying to find something similar to the soft touch strap you can get on the Tudor Black Bay 58 but I've had no luck finding something I'm happy with.

The closest I've come is this in Azure blue:

https://www.watchgecko.com/products/ostend-baranil-thick-padded-nubuck-leather-watch-strap-blue

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Anyone know do CAB publicise where and when auction takes place? 50 watches worth 500k in this upcoming auction according to article but no mention of when or with what auction house

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

You used to see Christopher ward here with tons of bargain basement offers on their car related watches- a few hundred quid - now they’re super expensive- what happened did they re invent themselves or something or were they selling off discontinued tat models?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

More than likely Wilsons. I bought jewellery and a watch in a similar auction a couple of years back via Wilsons. Definitely got a good deal but I bought a few different bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

i would be avoiding cab auctions of watches unless its authenticated by the auction house, have you seen some of the fake crap they post in the news and claim its worth a fortune, the real watches they post are battered 15 year old santos and 25 year old rolex

The internet isn’t for everyone

they would surely have to be authenticated first .Some carry on if the Garda are selling fake watches .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

last auction i was at was fellows and they don't authenticate anything it is all sold as seen no returns, maybe this is different

100 items with 500k retail price is certainly a headline grabber

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement

I’d imagine they’ll be sold as seen alright but seems mad if there are fake pieces being sold on behalf of the Garda when its illegal to sell fakes .

Advertisement