Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocaine Destroying Rural Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭scottser

Young lads 18-25 just aren't into drinking and pubs. My nephew and his mates are in the gym all the time and play gaa, so saturday night they'll get a ball of coke, do lines in one of their houses and around 11 they're in the nightclub trying to pull. They'll drink water or minerals for the night. No beer, no crap food on the way home because they have a match to play next day.

It's hard to criticise them because our own habits and judgements are questionable at times and they're more fully clued up on the risks than we are. On the other hand, my nephew is saving for a car right now so he was able to knock it on the head but he found it hard for the first while. Others aren't so disciplined (or lucky) unfortunately. I guess all you can do is be there for them when it goes pear-shaped, which it invariably will in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Most of them would be far better off having a few drinks instead. some of them probably do coke before the gym as well. 😌

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭SharkMX

My cousins family stilling the hospital now waiting for him to wake up over a week after a cocaine hit. They keeps saying its his first one - its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

..again, peer pressure is extremely complex....

I'll make it simple for you, you're an idiot for taking it. Jump off a cliff just because jumping off cliffs is cool and my daddy and mammy doesn't like it.

• Advertisement

so are all of us that bowed to other social pressures all idiots? theres nothing simple about human behavior, particularly amongst ours peers, we all want to be a part of a group, to be accepted, this sometimes means we behave in ways that are not the norm, that is not healthy for ourselves, or for those around us, its a part of the human experience....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I think it’s more than fair to say, the majority of people on this Earth are idiots.

we can and do idiotic things from time to time, including ourselves, its just a part of the gig, none of us are getting out of here without doing something stupid at some stage....

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

People jump off cliffs if they're suicidal, they take coke for enjoyment, big difference. Legendary rock stars, Hollywood actors, supermodels, senior business people, high profile media personalities have taken it, there's evidence William Shakespeare took cocaine. Yeah right, complete idiots.

The CPAD tried that a few years ago in Dublin. It was said heroin was a "Dublin only" problem, now it's nationwide. They failed miserably. I live in Dublin too and it's news to me that cocaine is causing the problems you describe. Any users I know, work, play sports, gym etc, they're not wanted by the police.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

Yes, it is ok, it's their bodies their choice. If the same people robbed, assaulted you or committed crimes that involve a non-consenting victim, I'd agree with your description. I repeat, The Beatles, Rolling Stones and Diego Maradona took it and they're regarded as Gods, not scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You really don't understand what an idiom is. I think we are done here.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

anyone who considers these people "gods" really has shoveled way too much of that sh*t up their noses. no different from a child's rationalization of bad behaviour "but the other kids were doing it too", not gonna ask if those you named stuck their hand in a fire would you because I'd probably get another "their body their choice" response.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Of course they're would, you just read that somewhere

Many non-coke users have high praise for those legends. Maradona's "Hand of God" jersey sold for 9 million dollars. Liverpool is practically a shrine to the Fab Four, you fly in to John Lennon airport, Paul McCartney received a knighthood, then go to Mathew Street and you also pay for a bus tour which commemorates their origins before they became international idols. Compare that to scumbag Jimmy Saville, whose family had his headstone removed because of his nefarious activities. Why do you call cocaine sh*t, have you ever wondered why it's roughly worth its weight in gold.

I've a rough idea, "kicking the bucket" doesn't literally mean that. You don't seem to understand the definition of idioT, if you believe they're the only people who take cocaine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Alan Shatter of Fine Gael has to take a lot of credit for the roll out of Drugs , Cocaine in particular In Rural Ireland when he closed & Downgraded so many Garda Stations all over the Country in 2010 .

This concided with the roll out of Cocaine in Rural Ireland , largely controlled by the travelling community who have struck fear into every corner of the country with their Drug debt collection tactics often resulting in Suicides & Mental breakdowns of parents with no trace of guards to help communities & most Politicans dont care - County Limerick been a great example .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Or mechanics, plasterers, printers, designers, architects & doctors. In fact people have no business taking cocaine. Farmers are no different.

It's a **** show. Thankfully not affecting my family or peers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I seem to remember a thread in AH about members of "travelling" drugs gangs pulling out people's teeth with a pliers over unpaid drug debts. Anyone who racks up such a debt with such individuals is deserving of some sort of darwin award. It's one thing succumbing to peer pressure to do something silly, it's quite another to do something utterly stupid. Dabbling in cocaine because others are doing so falls into the latter category. Of course everyone who dabbles thinks that addiction, drug debt and amateur dentistry won't happen to them, just other people. Human weakness and stupidity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

There is no such thing as rural Ireland. Small country, everyone connected by road and internet. Also, I am not sure we are even a nation. Just a dog eat dog economy, where everything is rosy so long as you are milking it.

Alcohol destroying Ireland for ever, long before cocaine, and it's advertised all over the place and flaunted and advertised as something to be proud of by various drinks companies who steal symbols of this nation.

Edit ...

A lot of anger in this post. But we are like babies as a nation. Any kind of addiction and we are on it like flies to ****. Any time there is money in the economy we piss it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭pgj2015

It's cooler now not to take coke, same as not getting tattoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Coke Zero doesn't taste bad at all.

Cocaine existed in Ireland long before those Garda stations were closed. I'm not a fan of Alan Shatter but it's wrong to blame him for the popularity of cocaine. Btw I never bought any illegal drug from a traveller, settled people sell them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Well in most parts of rural Ireland travellers control the drug trade & towns and villages , if your area isn’t controlled by them count yourself lucky !!

People have no business to judge others on what they put into their bodies. It's the LAW on cocaine that affects us all adversely. If I snort a few lines tonight alone, nobody would know about it, if I burgled their homes, they would. Police/courts/governments prioritise preventing/punishing the former instead of the latter. Utter madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I think cocaine is an awful drug and I have no intention of ever going near the stuff. That being said, I don't think judging or criminalising people who choose to take it is the solution. We've tried that. It's not working. Time to try something new. People need to be able to test their drugs or seek help for addiction without fear of being judged by their community or facing legal action.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Lol! - "Cocaine doesn't affect anyone but the user" said the addict that's snorting up something that was imported in a condom up a drug mules anus.. Never mind the prostitution, guns, gang warfare etc that goes hand in hand to allow middle class Tomaldo his few lines after a round of golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭randd1

Make it legal. Allow pharmaceutical companies to produce it to varying levels of effectiveness. Allow it to be then sold in registered establishments. Use the taxes raised by the VAT on it to fund treatment centres.

Or

Keep it illegal. Allow the criminal gangs to cut it with who knows what. Have it sold who knows where and by who. Spend millions every year trying to stop a tsunami with a kitchen towel. Keep viewing users as degenerates.

We're not losing the battle against cocaine and drugs in general, we've completely and utterly lost the war, we just haven't accepted it yet. Our policy is similar to Comical Ali saying everything is fine while tanks roll into the background.

And all because people decide to put something into their own bodies, a decision which should be theirs and theirs alone.

As for the argument, it's not them they do the damage to, well alcohol and gambling are as destructive and perfectly legal. I'd rather walk past a few lads enjoying a few joints than a few lads roaring drunk. You'd likely lose the house quicker to gambling than a drug debt.

We've tried the ban it and shame it approach, and the Irish public has emphatically said "FU*K YOU, we love our drugs", and that position isn't going to change. Drug use, prescription and illegal, are in every part of the country, in every family. You're likely to talk to or see someone today who by the end of this weekend will have taken cocaine or smoked a joint.

It's time to give the legislation, regulation, taxation and education approach a shot.

Yes, we'll see addicts, but we have them anyway. The country is so awash with drugs that legalisation won't change that much. But it might be the taxes we raise combined with the money we don't waste trying to stop the unstoppable might provide the services those addicts need.

And of course, the less jail spaces taken up by drug users can be filled by those who commit serious crimes against others.

At this stage, for every argument against legalisation, there's multiple arguments for it.

• Advertisement

Ha! If you're so against gang warfare, why don't you support legalisation, instead of judging people on their lack of "morality". One of the reasons I favour a change of the law is because there would be hygiene standards in its production, so that it wouldn't have to come from someone's anus. "Middle class", I was born in a tenement type flat, I live in a council estate and I never play golf. I'm also not an addict, I last took it at Christmas (2022). I support the legalisation of prostitution, as long it involves consenting ADULTS, but that's probably for another thread.

Post edited by Tomaldo on

Advertisement