Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭RoTelly

2FM's funding should have been cut about 6 years ago. And I am being generous with that. 2FM was always set up to be cost neutral to the licence, even perhaps turn a profit so that it might fund some public service broadcasting on the other stations/channels/services.

With the death of Gerry Ryan 2fm was always going to sink. RTÉ never invested in other shows, they'd lost Dempsey 13 years previouslyand had struggled to replace him (only twice doing so with The Full Irish, something you have to give to TUBS, and then Breakfast Republic).

Starting in 2011 RTÉ required a plan for 2FM, in 2014 that plan need to be review and you might make the decision to fund it for 3 more years, once the second plan wasn't working, you look at a reduced service and new strategy for 2FM to keep it self-sufficient and hope that eventually you start to see growth.

But instead RTÉ decide better to keep it alive, even though those graphs show they didn't have the money for a largely loss-making commercial service, they'd argue "but we require something for a young audience", but couldn't explain how 2FM costs 10m to run while Lyric is only costing 6m and Lyric has had many cuts over the years.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Micheal Varadkar

2fm made some very bad business choices before and after Gryans death which left them exposed, for example they signed Colm Hayes on a very expensive lengthy contract and then decided he was "too old" but they still had to pay him 6 figures for years after he was no longer wanted. Then you have the strange situation that some 2fm presenters, i.e Rick O'Shea, Will Leahy & Dan Hegarty were made RTE staff meaning they have to be put somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Micheal Varadkar

Back in late 2009, RTE announced that 2fm was going to forget about the youth and go head to head with Today FM and the local stations, then without explanation they abandoned this plan and went back to trying to target youth sometime after Gryans death. www.businesspost.ie/legacy/as-jnlr-ratings-fall-2fm-chases-the-over-25s/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,102 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

They can't cut 2FM, need to funnel those 6 figures to Lottie somehow...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Never heard any of ours talk of listening to 2FM - just doesn't exist in their music world.

I'd occasionally tune in for a soccer match on 2FM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

200k is fine I don't have a problem with the salary but 2fm hasn't ever turned a dime. So effectively the taxpayer is paying these salaries. If you can't pay the "talent" less and can't even cover overheads then in any business that's a loser and needs to be cut.

The media lovies just don't get it.

“Voluntary” can have many shades. If RTÉ, its hand forced by the Government, was to announce a shutdown or a hollowing out of certain services or a decentralisation of others, a voluntary exit package would quickly start to seem like a targeted one. Memories are fresh within RTÉ of a 2019 proposal by Bakhurst’s predecessor Dee Forbes to shut down Lyric FM’s Limerick base to save money. The move prompted much alarm among staff, as well as a political backlash, before it was abandoned.

Who you shouldn't look for advice from? Dee Frobes. What should you not do? Everything Dee Frobes did.

Dee Frobes wanted to complain about the cost of RTÉ services, she cut here there and everywhere, while getting a €50k moving fee, getting a €25k car allowance, get an new office worth €16k and making a sure that Tubs didn't take a pay cut while cost RTÉ more money if she'd just agreed a straight foward contract.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

I have stated this before but RTE would be very reluctant to target the 25-45 year age group via 2FM. I don't think the broadcasting act forbids it but as a public service broadcaster RTE would be called out for concentrating radio programming on a lucrative advertising market, a market which is already served by RTE Radio 1.

They could radically change the 2FM format to an aggressive type of CHR or preferably Hot AC format that is focused on music and although having presenters, is not presenter led. Again, they would need to radically overall 2FM from a programming/format perspective to an extent that the station would offer something different to the other countless CHR radio stations that are littered across the country and if it is done right a CHR/Hot AC format can be very successful. Although folks have access to their own music libraries such as Spotify, radio wil always be "Theatre of the mind" and can be very engaging and exciting.

Unfortunately I don't think RTE have the will or the balls to do anything radical on FM and 2FM will always have the same sound now and for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Agree. Dobson is a politics and elections nerd with a vast and detailed knowledge of both topics, spanning back decades. That's why he's worth the big bucks.

Sharon by comparison appears to have a grasp of detail only slightly better than the majority of the RTE News viewership. She's by no means the worst interviewer of politicians I've seen but her line of questioning is always fairly superficial and rote. Usually softballs for anyone who spends their days in Leinster House. That's why she isn't worth the big bucks.

But of course in todays climate, any shrewd operator can see how the wind is blowing and RTE paying big bad men more money than the ladies is just no longer tenable, despite the fact they may be far better at doing a similar job, in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,169 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Lot of generalities there ,horse….

Edit

On mature reflection I think I misinterpreted your post.

My apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Agreed. Was at an event wher Dobson was handling the q&a and he was really excellent.

Sharon definitely not worth it though I do like the fact that she doesn't see herself as a 'celebrity' and is never plastered all over the Sindo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Anyone that would like to express their thoughts on the Irish Farmers Journal getting 150KTubs as a speaker at the women in agriculture event on 25th October, can email subs@farmersjournal.ie

Couldn't agree more. There have been some great female presenters in the past, including Olivia O'Leary, who would would wipe the floor with Sharon and Clare Byrne.

If we had good female presenters to rival likes of Dobbo and others, the likes of Sharon Ni B and Clare Byrne would not be able to look for "equal wages" despite not doing an equal job, as they'd be far down the food chain .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

RTE has lost its way a small bit in recent years and I think the experience does show the worth of top talent. Michael Lyster has never been adequately replaced on the Sunay Game, nor Bill O'Herlihy on soccer or Tom McGurk, Hook and Pope on rugby.

Now Ryan is gone from the Late Late and the radio and it's an unnecessary own goal. If Ryan is a success independently it opens up another worrying vista for Kevin, his most talented people might see RTE as a mere stepping stone.

I think think you equating things differently to most.

I don't think we can honestly say that Tubs has been missed. He's Radio show and his TV show are continuing without him, if there is a massive exodus of an audience you might have a case for Tubs, but currently from what we know this is not the case.

I think Kevin has other issues. As you know RTÉ has been mismanagement for the last 20 years. He now has to sift through a mountain of bad decisions that his predecessors made (indeed some of those decision were made while he was Deputy DG 7 years ago).

Tubs is a small part of the picture and largely the scandal has move on from that to the ultimate conclusion that RTÉ was mismanaged over the last number of years and that the direction that the company was taking to continually call for more money to do little more than what they currently do while spending vast amounts of money is incidentals or ill advised strategies.

I am sure you can see the state that RTÉ has put itself in.

I don't know why you want to ignore the mess that RTÉ finds itself in due to its own actions.

I have always said if any RTÉ Talent want to grow and earn more then they need to move abroad, this is always the case. Look at some of the form 2FM presenters they think they are at the top of their game only to be summarily axed, with only one turning around and arguing that she was simple dismissed, the others went abroad and had to restart their career from the ground up, pretending otherwise. Name the talent I am talking about.

______

Yesterday

I'm more familiar with the lower end of the 25-45 year age group and in my experience they just don't listen to 2FM. Maybe 40+ do?

RIGHT!

Singer Una Healy - She was just on TLLS and she had just been on Ask Me Anything

comedian Seann Walsh - Grand, don't know him but new comedian and all

Marty Morissey - Has this Marty Stich not had its day yet?

The Parish Quiz - From their radio show

NOT A CLUE!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Sorry if I may have caused some confusion on that. So the 25-45 age group is not 2FM's target audience. Generally the 15-25 age group is. When I mentioned the 25-45 age group, I was suggesting a scenario in which 2FM would flip it's format to an AOR/AC (RTE Gold, Classic Hits, Nova, Q102 etc.) type presentation as the 25-45 age group would then would be their target audience for which RTE would be reluctant to do. Now, how effectively 2FM are targeting the 15-25 age group is a different matter.

Also starting tonight is RTÉ/FÍS ÉIREANN's storyland.

Storyland has been a project on RTÉ for at least 16 years.

RTÉ have had a number of other co-funders involved over those years, the last 2 have just been with FÍS ÉIREANN, they may have done the first few alone but I am not fully sure of that.

The idea is to develop Irish TV Drama/Comedy writing.

3 pilot drama's have been developed and produced. Starting tonight with Wrapped.

I am sure Falling for the Life of Alex Whelan, Wrapped and The Cousin will all be well received. And not watch and never heard of again much like all the past Storyland products ... okay I will give them Hardy Bucks and I think one one a few awards last year.

5 other dramas were developed under the scheme.

Shh tell no one!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Advertisement

Can you clarify who his "most talented people" are? I'm curious as to who, and where they would step onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,169 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Don’t waste your valuable time in that area. RO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Ryan first of all, obviously. I suppose Miriam O’Callaghan next, Ray Darcy, Joe Duffy, few like that. Maybe Marty Morrissey in sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Disingenuous at best RoTelly. The Storyland scheme has always been aimed at developing talent as opposed to projects, and has fulfilled its remit in that regard. It's also a good example of RTE working as a public service broadcaster.

All very disposable and replaceable - no loss.

Next.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Hollywood movie legend Jean-Claude Van Damme looks set to lead the Late Late Show line-up this week.

He celebrated his 63rd birthday in Belfast on Wednesday.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

He is promoting a whiskey he has a stake in apparently.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Loblox

Fingers crossed for a Fatal Deviation shout-out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

We all know the global phenomenon where's Wally/Waldo but there is now an Irish version. It's called where's Joe Duffy?

Duffy has been off RTE radio for the past 5 or 6 weeks and has only been seen on episodes of his prerecorded show The Meaning of Life.

How has NK managed to make sure this is verboten in the media? and Why has Duffy been off air?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

he is either sick or thrown all his toys out of the pram

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement