Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭HBC08

Not on the take,nothing illegal I imagine but morally corrupt.

This fraud was receiving the first of these payments in the summer of 2020,a few weeks after him guiding us through the pandemic with sermons from the Mount every Fri night.

I would think a lot of "nasty" people are going to be saying things to him everywhere he goes.

I'm not sad,this guy is not a good person.

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ElJaguar

RTE = Ryan Tubridy extortion

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Love the thread title :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Is anyone shocked at all by this?

The question is how many more RTE "stars" are been overpaid?

Will all of the other dirty secrets on Tubs start to come out now he isn't doing the Late Late? someone in RTE with axe to grind

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

One hundred percent this is why he left.

They've know this was coming for ages.

Very very poor accounting/reporting/morals and spending of public monies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

But, why? And who decided it was necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I remember when living in the UK he did a few weeks at the BBC hoping to do a Terry Wogan around 2015. Tubs went down like a charmless lead balloon over there which is kinda hard to do as the middle England Beeb audience loves an Irish lilt. I say this because his defenders will say 'shur if RTE didn't pay him those numbers the BBC or someone else would.' No, no they wouldn't. He seems to repel many listeners. I firmly believe he'd never have a job in broadcasting only for the obvious nepotism. His career is a bit of joke really.

Post edited by coolbeans on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

obviously the management of RTÉ have more then the general interest of the taxpayer, viewers and listeners in their minds…

I wouldn’t mind but the guy is a rank poor TV broadcaster… I haven’t heard much of his radio stuff but not as bad, not great….the greatest weapon in his armoury is that he has tonnes of absolute confidence but absolutely no substance, no skill , no intuitiveness or flexibility , no personality or gravitas , many people both sides of the TV screen / camera didn’t warm to him…. Yet this…. why ? look at the likes of Jay Leno, Conan, Parkinson, Letterman, Jimmy Fallon……then… Tubridy 😏 In terms of basic ability, warmth, intelligence, humour / comedy, relatability, likability the aforementioned are light years ahead…

yet RTÉ continues to break the bank to ensure his financial wellbeing…. Superb. Few hundred grand….FFS.

Think of that when your license fee is due.

• Administrators Posts: 53,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Admin voice: I changed the original title of this thread, as I do not believe there has been any suggestion so far of any wrongdoing by Ryan Tubridy himself.

Please be mindful of what you post, and refrain from speculation or unsubstantiated allegations.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Curious as to who the commercial partner was - Renault Ireland iirc were the main sponsors of the LL in the period?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭baldbear

It doesn't sound like he did anything wrong but it just feels wrong. A sneaky way of getting money and then you have Rte showing Kilnaskully re runs from 2007.

It makes a mockery of the information RTE publishes about the earnings of its presenters, when significant sums like this as hidden away.

And then as you say RTE plead the poor mouth when there does not seem to be commercial justification for overpaying presenters like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭satguy

When Mary Lou is in the big seat, The first thing SF should look at is RTE.

It is well time we were rid of this shower..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Post edited by coolbeans on

• Administrators Posts: 53,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea the issue here is with RTE, not Ryan Tubridy.

It's not his responsibility to report his salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭jack of all

I watch very little television anyway, especially so during the summer but this really pisses me off. Especially considering I only renewed my licence last week? Can I ask for a small rebate? RTE can forget about banging their drum for an increase in the licence fee now, what a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Well RTE certainly did something wrong. They lied to the people. Even their own chairperson admits it was “a serious breach of trust with the public”.

From the IT:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Be kind to Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Trampas

Is it tubs or it is nk behind this? It’s scandalous that nk have so many people working in the place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭StevenToast

And Tubridy sitting back watching these bùllshit figures being published laughing at the Irish public "suckers"......

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭gifted

In fairness, he should have highlighted it when his declared salary for the ladt few years was revealed......his silence at the time more than implicates him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

He may not be Leno or Letterman, but he is paid a miniscule fraction of what they get also.

I think people are blaming the wrong person here, Tubridy negotiated a deal, RTE agreed, they dropped the ball on the commercial sponsorship side but still owed him the money, thats on them not him.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

I now understand why RTE wants a broadcasting charge. Must be hard to stay afloat with secret payments 😒😒

• Registered Users Posts: 16,379 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Make sure to pay your tv licence to keep the gravy train going.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Report to the TV licence inspector next time he's around that you paid 160 quid for the licence. In actual fact do not pay and if they say anything just say you paid less than declared.

I shop in Supervalu, and Supervalu advertise on RTE. Therefore, I have paid my licence fee by proxy.

I like it :()

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Langer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Sorry, but he did do something wrong.

Every year RTE published the wrong figure for his salary and he never opened his mouth. He was happy to have the lower number and him pretend that he was earning far less.

All those involved in the cover up……….heads should roll for this, but we will have a big review/audit and it will all be chalked down to a systems failure and all remain in situ.

RTE…….Rogues Thrive ‘Ere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

RTE. The truth matters.

Lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement