Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

This really shows the level of abuse and intimidation that public figures go through. There’s a lot of absolutely deranged oddballs out there who obsess over people who work in the media or politics. Sinister men who spend all their life online. For all the hyperbole about pay and expenses we need to understand there is a human behind the public face of RTE personalities and they shouldn’t have to deal with these internet weirdos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Probably already posted but Independent have an article stating RTE will be doing staff redundancies. Wonder if this will impact any of the presenter on RTE1 and 2FM - there are so many on both channels throughout the week and weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

If they’re still not winning to provide that document that PAC are requesting despite needing a bailout then you’d really have to wonder about just what’s in it. Clearly something that would cause a lot of public outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,157 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Yes ,saw that, having said that, I don’t like to see anyone smitten by the compulsory redundancy stick but RTE need to tackle the outrageous wedges trousered by the’ talent’.Not because it will solve their problem but because that’s where the rubber hits the road with the paymaster -John Q Taxpayer..

RTE need to understand that that’s where they need to tackle and urgently..

The public won’t stand idly by and watch these ‘team NK’personell basically screw the taxpayer with wedges no sensible person could justify.

Holding on to documents and obfuscating won’t cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Caquas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

nothing in my parish newsletter about it this week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Field east

What’s wrong with Letting RTE go into liquidation and buying space in another TV. station to broadcast what the Gov / independant authority wants broadcast re THE PUBLIC GOOD. After all, there are a number of PRECIDENT out there eg buying space in private hospitals, road building, refuse collection

I was firmly in the opinion that I will continue on paying the licence fee but when I read this post- not using sales proceeds to pay off debt instead of solving the financial problem and getting back on a sustainable footing - I think that I will cancel it. I suppose that RTE felt that the Gov will continue to bail it out no matter what

A question for Ryan Tubridy at the upcoming Women’s Conference sponsored by The Farmers’ Journal . Would he agree that the ‘apparently’ confidential document that RTE/KB are refusing to release because of some legal issue should be released.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,180 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That's the bottom line, the top brass at rte will always believe that they'll be bailed out, no matter how much the debt. They know the Gov won't ever see them go bankrupt, sure let's last more debt on top of the pile, spend like there's no tomorrow, massively overpay staff....etc...

It's a mess that will be cleaned up. I think it would be great to let them go bust. Or be told, "right let 500 staff go "

It's a corrupt organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Is it just my feed or are the “Tubridy tipped for the next big job” stories coming through thick and fast by all those muck Irish sites!? This is about 20th “tipped for job” story that’s come about since he got shıt canned. What happened to the state of the art hundreds of thousands of euro podcast studio conversion he got done?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

What new job, hasn't he dropped off the face of the earth in recent times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Relentless, must just be my feed, can’t understand why, he’s the last person I’m looking for updates on.

Bookies release the rankings and every rag runs a story about it, he's not even close to being in the running - I mean the show has been going downhill for years, they surely don't want to kill it off completely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

The man who brought RTÉ down!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Driving down the road today and there was some bullsh1t "and finally..." report on today fm news about how tubridy was voted the nations most admired celebrity. No word on a source or anything, just that. I nearly crashed the car laughing.

Edit: the Indo have a link to it (of course), laughably he is "number one" with 11% of 1000 randomly selected people. I wonder what the link between Onside marketing ( a ballsbridge marketing group who ran the poll) and NK management ( a ballsbridge hack agency around the corner from Onside) may be?

1000 people polled and he scored 11% (down from 18% IIRC) - a more damning figure than something to celebrate, I mean was there like a 1000 people in the running (99% of which were unknown)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭hamburgham

That’s a good idea. Could there be a tender for it? Give Virgin and the independents an opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭jmcc

The major reality show being a reboot of "Pinky and The Brain"? Things not looking good for the Ryanstone cowboy. Those offers aren't coming over the phone.

As for the flurry of bets, a pile of one Euro bets intended to keep the formerly famous Tubridy in the news? How long has it been since RTE took him off that radio show? Nearly four months and no job offers. Has any Irish broadcaster interviewed him since?

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

He has dropped out of the news a bit in the last while. I am not seeing daily articles about him going for a walk, or driving the moped Bono gave him.

• Advertisement

He's probably busy on the Alan Partridge circuit. (The pension gig and the book thing in Iceland.) The lack of interest from Irish broadcasters is interesting and the Sindo still tries to make him seem relevant. The reality seems to be dawning on some advertisers that it is the time slot rather than the host that makes a show.

The audience figures for the 09:00 slot on RTE Radio One haven't changed much and that's the real killer for "talent" like the formerly famous Tubridy. The cuts that will be forced on RTE are probably worrying other RTE "talent" too. The most viewers that Tubridy ever got was probably for his appearances before the PAC and the Media committee.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I think a lot of those stories are betting shop related ie for a “fun” /mugs bet, you get 20/1 Tubridy will be the next Good Morning host in the UK.

It doesn’t look like he’s going anywhere quickly either; I’d say his chance of going back to RTÉ is long gone- maybe 5 or 6 years from now but not while all of this controversy is going on.

While I do actually have a little sympathy for him given the heights he’s fallen, it’s also helped to highlight that having an RTÉ presenters job is a privilege- as a result, the salaries earned could be a lot less for the top “stars” than what they currently are.

There’s limited competition out there and they’re very particular in terms of who they choose and why; you need clear skills in the commercial radio and tv markets.

If he’s getting small gigs here and there then great- he’ll have an income coming in - probably better to wait things out anyway as opposed to choosing a major gig that could sink him completely

On the waiting things out strategy, will there be an RTE to which the formerly famous Tubridy can return? The PAC and the politicians may want RTE jobs and salaries cut despite what they claim publically.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I've just seen a number of payment statements from a talent management agency, and 7.5% commission plus VAT is the agent's fee.

If that is industry standard then NK has been doing very well for himself until this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Reading through the 2017 RTE Annual Report (why not on a Saturday morning) I came across this. Can someone explain the graph measurements here - at first I thought they had massively reduced their costs in the period, rather than 24%. Also, I note that 2012 and 2017 (both €335m) don't even line up.

?

Post edited by podgeandrodge on

Might be worth forwarding it to the PAC or the Media committee.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Some quotes:

"As an organisation and individually, RTÉ will be outward looking, creative, respectful, sustainable and accountable, collaborative

and transparent."

"Manage its business in a responsible manner. Be accountable to each other within RTÉ and to audience and stakeholders."

Moya: "As the Board continue to develop strategies for the realisation of value from property holdings, the decision to sell a portion of the site at Donnybrookwas implemented in 2017. This sale has enabled a re-imagining of the campus, with substantial works to follow over the next few years that will create a more accessible space. The Board also approved plans to use the proceeds of the sale for capital investment, debt reduction and a voluntary exit programme that will lead to a reduction in staff numbers over the next year. "

Deeee: "Against a difficult financial backdrop, RTÉ introduced a radically new organisational structure; reduced the size of its workforce; developed a new

five-year strategy (2018-2022); and managed the sale of more than 8 acres of land at its Donnybrook site – all while continuing to deliver a breadth of

compelling programming and content for audiences every day." 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭RoTelly

RTÉ have used that graph since 2008. They are patheticly trying to show how much of a drop that they have seen. The same graph is used in 2022.

Operating costs reduced in 2022 by €8 yet RTÉ were able to spend 8 million than 2021!

In 2018 the license fee to TG4 was return to RTÉ

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Stupid charts

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

This is how RTÉ think, we've done all the hard work but we have received no help from the legislators to change anything: -

NSO move to the NCH is a public funding element of the strategy which was delivered ... but a year late because of the Department, RTÉ and the NCH, it was ready for delivery in 2021.

10% cut in executive pay was dropped, much like the sale of the RTÉ Guide, the move of Lyric to Dublin and Cork, and all most all the rest of that strategy.

______

Yesterday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement