Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

And has the LL listenership gone off a cliff - I highly doubt it, so come next pay negotiations...(that pay was always a travesty for a phone in show)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

It appears he won't take a pay cut so he has thrown a strop.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I agree, but I think the scheme has largely never worked to develop any of the series that were produced. I thought the last 2 years they were well produced, and last night that the actors were good, even if it was a bit iffy and at time there was production over substance in the episode. But these would be mild criticisms of a 30 minute episode trying to quickly introduce characters and settings etc.

I would however point out that as a project RTÉ shouldn't need a co-funder involved.

RTÉ spend very little on independent Drama. Last years I think they spend just 2.2m, and this included Storyland and KIN alone, most of it going most likely to KIN. (I'd have to re-read the commissioning annual report).

I would also point out that the scheme should bring 6 to production not just 3. Along with the series been massively under promoted, unlike the 2 Johnnies.

Also RTÉ's commitment to "Great Local Drama" is nil when they still have an Acting Head Of Drama for the last 2 to 3 years.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

So just a few thoughts on this as I procrastinate over something that I should be doing!

We are not going to see any radical changes. Look through all of the articles relating to this subject there is a perception that RTÉ has been a good public service broadcaster and just because of a few issues surrounding governance and management of the company we shouldn't loose sight of the fact that RTÉ has served the country well for the last 60 years.

I cannot even see minor changes in RTÉ and the running of RTÉ. Honestly, I see nothing changing only that the deals made will be, from now on, made with the rigors of strict governance. For example if you think that RTÉ should move itself away from Dublin, something that has been at least touted, you can seriously forget it, in actual fact I think largely RTÉ will begin a process of entrenching RTÉ in the leafy suburbs of Donnybrook, never shall it be move, after all what about the preservations orders and so on and so forth.

And with that said you can forget about reducing services... which can only mean you bail the broadcaster out of the mess that it got itself in and you blame bad governance on .... the antiquated funding methods.

I hope that other boardsters know that I don't advocated for either reduced services or RTÉ moving out of Dublin... my pipe dream is the complete breaking up of the organization into different areas, but not even the idea of the CO moving out of RTÉ will be pressed.

There was a point in the last Oireachtas meeting where RTÉ slipped back into its old engrained ideas, as one adman said that RTÉ don't even get a fraction of the ad revenue in Ireland, showing he'd no time for change and as if to put it to the PAC, aren't we amazing at the marvelous service that we provide.

And isn't it a marvelous service that is provided by RTÉ? Haven't we been so rewarded with progressive thinking, a questioning organization and a probing organization that has over the years had its battles with all and sundry. But it seems it has not time for any battles with itself.

I suppose at least we have good News and Sports production, because aren't they the true sign of public service broadcasting, forget the rest, at least we have Kinnaskully to repeat (because we never were arsed producing other comedies, and in the new regime you can kick comedy up Bishop Brennan's arse).

Do you ever remember any staff member not defend RTÉ with "Well you just can't compare us to the BBC" or "It cost so much money to produce a TV show" or "You don't seem to understand the costs involved"?

Yet the media and politicians all seem to be lining up to save RTÉ. They seem to believe that everyone is happy with the service that RTÉ has provided over the last century (though I think most would question any independence it had as a Radio service for the first 40 years). But the last 60 surly RTÉ is the only option and let them make their changes so that they can continue as they are.

“significant changes” in the governance and management of RTÉ

She expects "the combination of the initial reforms already in progress… coupled with reforms that will be introduced on foot of the recommendations of reviews in progress will lead to significant changes in the governance and management of RTÉ"

Keep it as it is, but just deal with the governance.

The Nothing Burger exists, basically it is the cook is letting you look at the beef patty cooking on the grill, but has decided that you can look, hear and smell the glory of the beef being cooked ... but you won't get to chow down, and the cook will say ... "you know the substance of the burger is actually in the lettuce, if you get governance lettuce right you get the best burger ever!"

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Nice post Ro!

Looks like Joe is back on the air Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,169 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

No surprise Ferriter defends RTE.

No surprise the media rally round RtE

No surprise RTE are still trying to obfuscate and stifle

No surprise the Politicians tiptoeing around the issues.

No surprise all these ‘correspondents’ who seemed missing through the Summer suddenly are all over the airwaves.

No surprise that no real changes have been made or seem to be imminent.

No surprise that JQ Taxpayer will be the fall guy for these liggers ….

Unless he grows a pair and brings a long memory to the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

So 40% of their staff are self employed - no company in the world has that many full-time self employed

• Advertisement

Revenue are in for a nice payday. 20 million!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Revenue, which collects money on behalf of the state, are in for a payday from an organisation heavily funded by the state. So no net gain here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Trampas

Staff compensation. You can be sure a lot are charging a higher rate that the permanent staff to cover this like days off. Sick pain isn’t a given

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭Tow

20m was based in 200 employees, we are told today there are 700 bogus self employments. Wait until RTE have to back fund their pensions etc.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,840 ✭✭✭saabsaab

That hole is getting bigger. The LF just won't be enough..

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If they were self employed they would be able to claim their expenses off their income tax bill every year

so if they now want to be treated as PAYE workers going back years will they have to pay all that back ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm sure REVENUE will be able to tell them what they owe and what they don't owe.

As for us trying to get some laughs out of the mess rte are creating for themselves, and adding this bill now to the pile, fundamentally it'll be us the taxpayer will have to bail them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,823 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I can see now why Catherine Martin is utterly toothless re RTE. She was on the radio this afternoon and is an absolute waffler. I doubt she achieves much in her department at all.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Trampas

Have they stopped releasing the numbers of license fees not renewed.

What do rte employees/contractors actually do? How much tv do they produce and not outsourced to some production company. How many work in radio

• Advertisement

I had mentioned this on here a few months ago stating that the excellent Martin McMahon was instrumental in this coming to light and that he was helping RTE employees in court cases. Two of the court cases have been won by employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,361 ✭✭✭jmcc

The Sindo hasn't gotten over Tubridy. Apparently, the show with no permanent host has not been able to secure a six figure sponsor.

No offers coming over the phone for the Ryanstone cowboy? RTE was telling people that the "talent" had to be highly paid to stop other broadcasters poaching them. Not one offer either in Ireland, the UK or the USA. Even the publicity for the formerly famous Tubridy has stopped.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭tom23

It was the greatest trick the devil ever pulled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,361 ✭✭✭jmcc

The problem for Martin, and other school teacher/TDs, is that it is very easy to appear smart while standing in front of a bunch of kids with the teacher's version of their text book which has the answers to the exercises.

In the real world, and especially with RTE, there is no teacher's book with all the answers.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

INCOME FROM THE TV licence is down €14.2 million to date this year arising from the RTÉ payment scandal as growing numbers of people are opting not to renew their licence, new figures show.

According to figures provided by the Minister for Tourism, Culture, Arts, Sports and Media, Catherine Martin, revenues from the €160 TV licence are down 31% from 1 July to 16 October compared with the corresponding period for last year.

At a sitting of Ennis District Court earlier this month, 14 people before the court for non-payment of their TV licence escaped any court sanction after their cases were struck out on application from the State.

This followed the retirement of an An Post employee who was no longer in a position to provide evidence in court on the non-payment of the TV licences.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Kielty not really working out for the LLS.

Turns out he's not that funny. His Northern background a distraction. I can't see his contract being renewed.

This of course means they could revert to an old boring reliable - someone like Claire Byrne. Although her TV career appears to be over.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,430 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That €14.2m works out at just over 86k households that previously paid the licence now haven't paid the licence fee in 3 months since Tubridy's backhand payments came to light.

Tubridy really might just have ended RTE as a full public service broadcaster and cost a lot of people their jobs.

Is there a judge in the Country now that will have the nerve to actually convict someone for not paying the licence fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chrisd2019

While it may be popular to hag all this on Tubridy, he didn't alone create the current public disapproval of the broadcaster. The rot went a lot higher up the corporate tree from what has been revealed so far.

It is a 3 year contract. Not only were RTÉ lying about how much they need to pay their top presenters but that largely they had negotiate 5 year contracts, not yearly contracts. They whole reason for RTÉ not announce those figures the following year but 2 years after the fact was due to "competition".

On PK2, people are still watching can't see them stopping over the coming series, though I didn't watch on Friday Night.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

At this point, there are households that simply won't renew because the Govt. have hinted that the writing may be on the wall for a licence fee type arrangement, who wants to pay for a licence and find they didn't need to. Prob be 2025 at least, but I reckon plenty will not renew for the next year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement