Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,290 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Try the "Upload Media" button rather than "Upload File".

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

I see Graham Norton took a £909000 pay cut in 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Imagine if Tubs had gone to London long ago he'd be able to take such a pay cut. Good for Graham Norton for take such a massive cut in wages!

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭jmcc

The formerly famous Tubridy tried to break into the UK market (even had a book) but it didn't work out. No family connections in the BBC.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Was writing an essay of a post with my thoughts on this whole saga when I had a lightbulb monument. The retirement of Pat Rabitte and his cronies in RTE, the media and Dept of Communications is what is different about this pay row. 

They would have (mock)raged about it for a while and then it would’ve been back to business as usual, as it suited them all.

With all that generation gone, we got Oireachtas hearings and some actual consequences.

It was great to see the myth ‘we have to pay to retain great talent’ burst. No sign of Tubs popping up anywhere yet. 

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Advertisement

I think he still has a chance. He top the chart of most loved Irish TV personalities, I mean there are only really 2 but I don't that is the point! 😂

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I'm shocked. We have been told for years now that the reason that the pay for the "Talent" is so high is because other media organisations are banging down the doors to get them and yet here we have the best of the best in Tubridy and the guy isn't getting a look in so far. So someone is lying? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

It's also remarkable that Joe Duffy is being paid what he is being paid, considering that there is a very real possibility that nobody would come looking for him if he were in the same boat as Tubridy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Please, did anyone think things would actually change with Bakhurst in charge?

It hasn't nor will it in the future

I'm repeating myself (I know🥴) but rte is the place to go, settle in, so whatever you can whenever and see out your time comfortably knowing that things are never going to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭batman75

The whole pay to keep talent was always a load of cobblers. The standard of presenter on RTE today is dreadful when you compare it to the past. Olivia O'Leary, Brian Farrell, Gay Byrne, Mike Murphy, John Bowman, Gerry Ryan (Radio) and Pat Kenny (Radio/TV in CA). I'll tip my hat to Sean O'Rourke as probably the last good presenter on RTE.

As far as I'm concerned Tubridy, Duffy, O'Callaghan, and D'Arcy (second time round) have engaged in legal theft since been employed by RTE.

• Advertisement

Bakhurst just looked furious at the Oireachtas the other day, he's not got a handle on it at all.

I seem him around for about year after RTÉ get a top up or if RTÉ is broken up. He'd be better of to be able to leave on RTÉ splitting so that he could say he push forward an agenda of reform.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,082 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

RTE banking on the government bailing them out as they have done in the past.

Catherine Martin has to put her foot down. She doesn't seem up to it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Just get rid of "there is a very real possibility that" from above and it will read more accurately!

It's obviously down to contractual obligations but if I was Joe, I'd be offering up something at this point, from a moral viewpoint.

But then, as we've seen with 150KTubs, morals don't come into it with these folk who spent years moralising on the airwaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Duffy won't be offering anything because it's a near certainty that he will retire when his contract concludes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,135 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

And to Duffy, you can add D'Arcy, Miriam, Claire Byrne, Brendan O'connor, and a list of newsreaders, sports presenters etc who are all on crazy money.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

"Just get rid of "there is a very real possibility that" from above and it will read more accurately"

Actually looking at my post I'm too nice, gotta stop that ****.

I think she looks good because RTÉ look so bad, her civil servants were caught in the headlights but they at least had the fall back "We were never told" and on the 10% increase provided to the RTÉ executives "We should have been told".

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Karppi

There is no way she’s going to change the habit of a lifetime. She will do sweet FA

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's actually the second tier where the real fat is, as the quantity of people at this level is big.

That's not to say there's not waste at the top, but if your looking for savings it's the managers, senior journos, execs and presenters where the money is.

And that's why the NUJ are very quiet on the top 100 names getting published.

• Advertisement

Emma O'Kelly probably on a nice salary with endless benefits and perks. I don't think she filed one report for weeks in the summer. Cosy job.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,135 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That's why I mentioned newsreaders and sport presenters. I was really shocked about 10 year ago to read that George Hamilton, who is flown all over the world to cover the worlds greatest sporting events and is put up in the best hotels and wined and dined on the tab, was on €205,000.

And wasn't Darragh Maloney on 180k or so?

Add to this the money the likes of Dobbo, Mc Cullagh, Ni Bheolain must be raking in.

Sharon Ni Bheolain was complaining she wasn't receiving enough money a few years ago. She wanted parity with Bryan Dobson to get more money.

She's not worth more than 60 grand. When it goes passed reading off the autocue, she's hopeless.

Darragh Maloney was in the top ten on of the world cup years, the year he took over from Bill O'Herlihy (I can only imagine what billo was on).

Doobo has been in the top ten on a number of occasion getting 197k afaik, Ni Bheolain wasn't to happy her co-host was on more than her, but it was explained that he also covered Elections and other live shows that Ni Bheolain didn't get.

WLRFM's Damien Tiernan mentioned 90k per year and he's on about 50 - 60k on a local radio station. He would have also taken RTÉ involuntary redundancy.

Derek Davis admitted the money was good on LIVE @ 3, though he also had a number of other shows on and off during that period such as Davis and Waterways or something.

______

Yesterday

RTE also claim these are the going rates - but this is complete nonsense. They are the ones setting these rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Catherine Martins deliberate inaction is almost too obvious. She isn't even trying to pretend that they have a plan. And you can rest assured that the 3 unwise men have sanctioned her inaction.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,447 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

You could argue that 200k is a generous but about right figure for a top presenter, but then when you think about how many hours a day of work that involves, For the newsreaders, you're talking maybe 3 hours a day. Then that sum of money for a salary becomes ridiculous.

Something that only occurred to me today. I sometimes listen to the Louise Duffy show, Noon to 1pm. Some good music, but considering there is already a dedicated music station in 2FM, is it really needed to have another show dedicated to music? In this day and age with Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon music, etc. Is cutting 2FM not a good idea for RTE to save some money?

2FM's funding should have been cut about 6 years ago. And I am being generous with that. 2FM was always set up to be cost neutral to the licence, even perhaps turn a profit so that it might fund some public service broadcasting on the other stations/channels/services.

With the death of Gerry Ryan 2fm was always going to sink. RTÉ never invested in other shows, they'd lost Dempsey 13 years previouslyand had struggled to replace him (only twice doing so with The Full Irish, something you have to give to TUBS, and then Breakfast Republic).

Starting in 2011 RTÉ required a plan for 2FM, in 2014 that plan need to be review and you might make the decision to fund it for 3 more years, once the second plan wasn't working, you look at a reduced service and new strategy for 2FM to keep it self-sufficient and hope that eventually you start to see growth.

But instead RTÉ decide better to keep it alive, even though those graphs show they didn't have the money for a largely loss-making commercial service, they'd argue "but we require something for a young audience", but couldn't explain how 2FM costs 10m to run while Lyric is only costing 6m and Lyric has had many cuts over the years.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Micheal Varadkar

2fm made some very bad business choices before and after Gryans death which left them exposed, for example they signed Colm Hayes on a very expensive lengthy contract and then decided he was "too old" but they still had to pay him 6 figures for years after he was no longer wanted. Then you have the strange situation that some 2fm presenters, i.e Rick O'Shea, Will Leahy & Dan Hegarty were made RTE staff meaning they have to be put somewhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement