Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Not sure if they've patched it in the last while but Owl Father put manners on me last night (NG+5 maybe). I couldn't step through his fire-crackers like I used to, I had to back away and be more patient to finally put him down.

Edit - never mind, I just checked this old excellent video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z95edG-Djw8 (hint, it's mine :D ) and I can see that I was making the mistake of going left through the firecrackers and not right as in the video. Meh still got it done if with more attempts than expected, I also didn't resort to using the Mortal Blade as I did in the past.

Post edited by theteal on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I went back to this and just killed that bull with the flaming horns, died twice before I realised I could parry his charges?? That makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,307 ✭✭✭✭Penn

You can pretty much parry every kind of physical attack in the game other than the 3 types of attacks with the red symbol (grab, sweep, thrust).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I’m obsessed with this game last few weeks. Just beat Owl Father in Hirata after many hours of failure (his firecrackers are devastating). Celebrated far too much afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭McFly85

I’ve gone back to this to get the platinum after doing the same with Bloodborne - I almost forgot how genuinely brilliant the combat is.

Some real highlights in the boss fights where I have to force myself to ignore all my instincts of staying away and waiting for a chance to strike and instead, get in close and engage relentlessly. Pulling off several perfect parries and counters is immensely satisfying.

• Advertisement

The fights against Owl are two of my favourite boss fights of all time. Both fights it takes a while to get used to recognising and avoiding/countering his attacks, but once you do and you start getting into that rhythm, it's just so goddamn satisfying.

Yeah the first one I found hard but got the hang of it much faster. 2nd one by far the toughest opponent I’ve faced. Guardian Ape phase 1 was my previous toughest part.

Although I’m much better at the game now I’m still weak in some parts I’d like to improve on. I sometimes struggle to know if it’s a thrust or a sweep the opponent is doing. Also for some reason I can’t quite get my combat arts command to work sometimes (clearly panicking during a fight) and I end up doing either a thrust stab or standing there blocking like an idiot. Owl Father really punished me for not getting the command right as he would Mikiri counter my accidental thrust

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭McFly85

Platinum done this morning. Just a phenomenal game, kind of sad it’s over!

If any From title deserves a sequel it’s this one, the combat is too good to limit to one game!

Completed it this morning. Started the final boss last night but the 3rd and 4th phase kept getting me.

What a game. Probably one of the best games I’ve ever played. Now to decide if I should go hunting for platinum or move onto another FromSoftware game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Definitely go for platinum. After 3 months or so of not playing, I felt I had to relearn the timing/rythms etc.

Was glad I already had the platinum under my belt!

• Advertisement

You'll be amazed how quickly you get through the game second/this time around. Not just knowing where to go, but muscle memory for bosses and tougher enemies should be seared into your fingertips.

• Administrators Posts: 53,444 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If I loved Ghost of Tsushima, would I also love this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,873 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Very different game. Ghosts is standard ubi open world formula with very simple combat while this is a mix of stealth and dark souls with very complex combat you have to learn. It's quite linear as well.

I much prefer Sekiro but it's also a game that isn't for everyone. You will be bumbling your way through the game for the first few hours until you meet a very tough skill check boss and be stuck for a bit. You either learn how to be good at the game from him or get frustrated.

A better barometer is if you like dark souls games. The parrying is also quite similar to metal gear revengeance but that game is more forgiving than Sekiro.

Never played any Dark Souls games.

I liked the samurai combat in Ghost, hence why this popped up.

I would say there's probably too many differences between Ghost and Sekiro that the combat can't really be compared. Maybe check out some gameplay videos of Sekiro and see if it looks good. To be honest the closest comparator would actually be the Star Wars Jedi games, in that enemies have a posture meter which you wear down by attacking and forcing them to block your moves, and also blocking their moves.

I will say that personally, I think Sekiro has the best combat system ever. It's a constant back and forth clash of steel, a delicate dance.

Here's a video of a fight against a minor boss found in the open world, so there's no spoilers. This is just a taste of the combat.

Picked this up, took me about 10 attempts to kill the very first mini boss guy 😅

Gotta say though, games that don’t let you pause cutscenes need to get in the bin. Accidentally skipped one early on. And pressing home doesn’t even pause it, it continues on in the background. Wtf.

From Software seem to hate people pausing the game. Gameplay, cutscenes, menu.... doesn't matter. Even Lies of P, a Soulslike game, also won't let you pause, presumably because they're really trying to go for that From Software feeling.

On the tied up fire ogre guy now. Must have died 15 times already on this guy alone, I’d say 50+ deaths in the game already. Am I wasting my time with this? 😅

Getting particularly frustrated when he jumps at me, but while he’s mid air he somehow changes the direction he’s moving so he comes straight at me.

Post edited by awec on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,873 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You definitely have to beat him but he gives everyone trouble at the start. If you are getting frustrated you can try the new area that opens by that stage, it's a flashback area. Been a while so I'm not too sure how to access it.

Stick with the game. You're currently floundering about and not playing it properly. The first proper skill check is when the game starts to make sense.

Yeah the tracking of enemies during both the wind-up and execution of their attacks can be.... frustrating to say the least. I remember getting really annoyed at another early game mini-boss who would hold his sword up like he's going to slice downwards, and no matter how many dodges I'd get around him, he could practically do a full 360 on the heel of one foot twisting around to hit me. But you get used to it once you start getting the timing and direction of your dodge right. Sometimes a dodge to the side is better, sometimes dodging backwards is better. Sometimes not staying too close to begin with is better.

The Ogre is definitely tough because of his wide grabs and how his attacks can track you. If you have a fire prosthetic on your arm he's pretty weak to it (enemies with glowing red eyes are weak to fire), so you can hit him with that and get a good few hits in before he recovers (even better if you throw a thing of oil first). If you don't have the flamethrower you might need to go to Hirata Estate if you haven't been there yet. Main advice though is keep distance. Once you've gotten one or two hits in, dodge backwards as much as possible, bait an attack, then go in for another few hits. The area at the base of the stairs is more open and I think there's a tree branch you can use to grapple over him to get distance.

• Advertisement

Took me a while to realise it but you can get a deathblow on mini bosses to wipe out their first life. It usually involves taking out the normal guys near the boss, running away from the boss so they lose sight of you then quickly running back and catching them from behind. Fire works well on the Ogre to

Yeah I was trying to think if there was a way to get the first deathblow on the Ogre as I'm pretty sure you can't sneak around him. But I think on some tries I did manage to bait him out, hide to de-aggro him, then get the first deathblow from sneaking up behind him as he walked back.

Another tip I forgot to mention, as weird as it may sound, you can deflect/parry some of his grab attacks. Only moves where the red symbol appears above his head can't be parried. Other than that, even grabs can be parried/blocked.

You just have to get used to parrying as much as possible. It's the quickest way to build up the stagger guage, damage seems to affect more how quickly that stagger gauge recovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,856 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Don't forget you can stun him with firecrackers.

Regarding the Hirata Estate, when I woke up after getting the prosthetic arm, the game didn't really tell me where to go. So I was just wandering aimlessly and happened to come across this guy.

Have I missed something?

I randomly found 1 tool for the arm, the throwing dagger thing.

Regarding the death blow, I tried to do that but I couldn't see how you can de-aggro him. As far as I can see the only way to get behind him is to run up the stairs where he can see you, the left hand side has an insurmountable wall and the right hand side is a cliff?

In the area just before the ogre near the end of it there's a guy near some crows high up that is a vendor and will sell you the fire cracker arm which is very useful for beast enemies. He is high up near the ruined house with the old lady in it.

You can definitely get up on the wall on the left side, then drop down and crouch staying close to the wall and then catch him when he is on the steps. If he see’s you just run away and try again.

Edit: Sorry memory letting me down. Not the wall, but there is a ledge right beside where the 2 guys are. You can hop down from there and crouch staying close to wall

There's an area called Hirata Estate you can access, but in fairness, it's not well explained to you how to get there.

If you met an old woman talking/crying about her son, she may have given you an item called Young Lord's Bell Charm. If you return to the sculptor and talk to him, he'll say something about offering it up in prayer. There's a Buddha statue in the sculptors shack, pray to it with the bell and you'll be transported to Hirata Estate.

It's a new area with different enemy types, and some good weapons/upgrades to find for your prosthetic, including an axe that can break shields, and a flamethrower attachment. It'll also help you level up a bit if you're getting stuck on the Ogre and want to move on somewhere else. Once you find the first shrine in Hirata Estate you can travel freely between both areas anyway. It's worth checking out.

But again, don't feel bad for missing it, because it's pretty poorly explained and I think I found it by accident and didn't know what the hell was happening when it transported me there.

Is the game in general like this though, providing no direction and you have to figure everything out yourself?

• Advertisement

Other than Hirata estate the game is much more linear than other from games. There's some branching paths but the level overlapping isn't as complex as other from games.

The only thing is if you want to go for the best ending (worth doing) then follow a playthrough for that, it's a little complex. It's also worth getting the bad ending in Ng+ as you'll unlock two new bosses that are a real challenge and once you learn how to play the game you'll be surprised how short it is.

Advertisement