Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Emblematic

I was responding to what I thought was an exaggerated example of seven or eight tenants being removed in order to house a couple. I would still maintain that this example is fairly rare.

I can understand some reduction in occupancy. A couple may purchase a property with a view to starting a family and for period of time will have unoccupied rooms until they fill them with offspring. But this is necessary and understandable. It is not, after all, about cramming as many people as possible into as few rooms as possible. The fact that some landlords do this does not make it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

This situation is arguably the norm. Given the current rental prices its far cheaper to rent a room. Realistically it's very hard for most people to rent their own place and then buy. The cost versus income doesn't make financial sense. People will rent a room just to save money to get a deposit.

A lot of house shares these days have more in common with bed sits especially in situations where house mates don't have pre existing relationships/friendships. Basically people rent a room and aside from that you just have the bare minimum of a common room and kitchen. Every other room will be converted into a bedroom. They are just bedsits under a different name.

However when landlords renting these places sell to an owner occupier, the owner occupier will not tolerate the previous occupancy levels unless they are financially desperate. So while these house shares are not ideal what's even worse for the rental market is these houses being sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I was renting in two houses in the past 10 years, both were sold and both were rented by a number of adults at least equal to the number of bedrooms. 3 adults in the first, 4 in the second.

All my friends were in similar situations. Now I own a house, 4 bedrooms, 2 adults living in 1 room and I've no wish or need to take in a tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭I see sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭SharkMX

The one I was in that I was talking about had 1 couple and 3 single people when we moved in first. 2 ended up moving their girlfriends in a few months down the line when the landlord said that was ok with him.

To sometimes in rentals you get extra people moving in. Same can happen for single people owning houses too, but its probably much rarer these days.

• Advertisement

For me the difference is that no tenant will treat your own house with the same care that you do. It would bug me to see someone being messy or careless with appliances and furniture, so there's no chance of renting out rooms to anyone, even if i knew we would get on well.

In a rental, no one in the house really cares if the floors get scratched, or someone puts a hole in the couch,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

But yet the council dont house social tenants in house shares, which would dramatically clear down the waiting lists, if not eliminate them altogether.

Ye but I'd argue a lot of people are clueless about the reality of house shares in the current market. We've seen some of this on the thread when it comes to the numbers of people in rented accommodation versus owner occupied.

There are more practical issues as well, unless it's a council owned house, I imagine it would be hard to convince existing landlords and tenants to take some one from the social housing list. When you put a group of random people in a house living together interpersonal relations can be hard at the best of times. If there are issues with the person/people from the council it would just add another layer of complication on an already delicate situation.

In terms of using council houses for house shares it's a good idea in the short-term. But its short-term, the reality is that house shares are not really suitable for the long term. Even if that's the reality for a lot of people now unfortunately. I imagine there would be significant push back against this idea politically. The council would also have to get involved in situations where house mates fell out. I doubt they want to deal with this hassle.

All fair point and I agree that it wouldnt be a politically popular deision.

But its a perfectly legal practice and is commonplace for every other cohort in society. Students, working professionals, people who have seperated from their partner and so forth.

It doesnt make sense that social tenants should be insulated from this reality, when its a loved experience for those that pay their own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,209 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The only way the Council could do it is to make it voluntary. If 2-3 single people are on the housing list give them.the option of combining there request for social housing. While not all wound opt for it a few nights fit got them up the priority list

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭delusiondestroyer

What do people think, will property get cheaper outside dublin? Or would it be better to just pull the trigger and buy now? will the interest rates drop from 5% would there be any point in fixing at 5% or just go with variable?

Slava Ukrainii

Demand is nationwide. There is still property for sake that is below the cost of construction in places.

Looking at bonkers mortgage comparison site green mortgages @90,%LTV are available at about 3.75% and BOI seem to be doing a standard loan for 3.95% four year fixed. Those rates take a lot of risk out for FTB.

A couple of us here early when rates started to rise pointed out that Irish rates might not increase substantial because of the high levels Irish savings. Rates are only 1.5-1.8% above pre interest rate increases

Slava Ukrainii

Do you think the 5% interest rates will last? or that they'll get higher?

I think something has to give the current state of the country isnt sustainable.

The utter state of houses down the country priced at 200k and above is utter insanity alot of em would require 100k in modernization if they by chance were got for there asking price its madness really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭Villa05

Rent allowance accommodated house shares, does HAP not do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

I don't think bonkers has up to date figures. I could be wrong. Anyone with a current offer like to share the rate?

Only If people request it. They should be offered it and if refused, to the back of the list you go.

People shouldnt be offered own home accom on the social unless they have kids of school age or a genuine need to live alone.

The numbers on the waiting list would soon diminish if they house shared like everyone else in society.

Heck, some folks might even get a job so that they can afford their own place!

I have heard this before I have not seen anything to contradict there rates. I have quoted them before.

They are a snapshot in time. O doubt if you went in on Monday morning that you would be quoted 0.25% more.

Who has quoted you 5% or more on a standard mortgage either variable or fixed

Please show the rates

Slava Ukrainii

Bank of Ireland are up at 4.75% and aib are more or less the same from what I'm seeing. The 3.75% is a green mortgage only for houses with a b rating and up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Need to be borrowing more than 250k to avail of the 3.95 for 4 years with BOI.

I'd presume most Dublin FTB would be.

No cashback deal on it either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭hometruths

McWilliams in today's IT predicting monumental collapse in the commercial property market.

When taken together – changes in lifestyle and increased working from home, an endemic structural over-supply and lack of immediate demand, the whiplash in interest rates requiring heavily leveraged investors to sell, and the impact of much higher refinancing costs – we have the conditions for a perfect storm leading to commercial property meltdown.

Here we go again. Strap in tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Who is going to end up holding the baby if his prediction comes to pass? Maybe cheaper office rents will be good in the long run

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭hometruths

Let's hope it's not the taxpayer, and government does not decide to spend our money propping up the commercial market as well as the residential one.

I guess a downturn in commercial construction could have a positive effect on labour supply for residential construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Much of the current commercial building projects would have been green-lighted back circa 2018 when talk of a Brexit bonanza influx from London was in vogue. It was an obvious bubble even before WFH became cemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

McWilliams likes making that prediction. He does so fairly often, like back in 2019: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02T5nv4jXZTmHeWiwyEbSHQm5m4P5WBXTTdFYaMpHY7rXanERcPf9r3RVieqpHPTQLl&id=6303603305

Eventually he'll be correct of course.

While I'd agree in an ideal world that social housing tenants could potentially be accommodated in house shares, it boils down to the purpose of social housing. If social housing is aimed as a long term solution using social housing as house shares defeats this goal. That's before the practical issues.

At best house shares are a medium term solution. The problem is that you have a significant number of people who are earning too much to qualify for social housing but not enough to buy their own place. That's the segment houses shares currently serve(ignoring students) and have turned into a de facto long term solution something they are just not suited for.

In short councils can and arguably should be using house shares as part of the housing strategy. The issue is its only a short term fix and needs to be combined with a long term solution. Part of the problem has been short term fixes have been used instead/not with long term solutions. Ie rent controls and if some people had/have their way eviction bans.

Don't see it getting cheaper in the next 12 months.

The Ukraine war ending and the 100k refugees head home may push the needle.

That said, some builders look to be in difficulty, not able to afford rates that subcontractors are charging, and I'm sure interest rate rises are having a large impact there too.

It's up to the ECB to deal with interest rates, so look at inflation in Germany and France to get an idea whether they will increase. Not looking good for rates dropping anytime soon, and I'd imagine Irish banks will be slow to reduce rates, seeing as they were slow to increase them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭Villa05

Calling a peak in commercial property in mid 2019 looks pretty accurate to me. Mcwilliams bashing becoming a sport around here

Retail property valuations, on the other hand, which have already fallen 30% over the last three years due to the pandemic, are holding up a little better and are predicted to fall by up to 10% in 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Why extract one sector of the CRE market to back up the claim. The one sector that was changing massively anyway for a long time before 2019 as people changed their shopping habits and no longer used physical shops for purchases. Just look at Philip Green and how the high street changed his property portfolio…this was way before 2019. It was around 2016 that more retail shops started closing than opening.if it was only retail that McWilliams was talking about in 2019 then it was not a prediction as was happening for years before.

On the Other hand in 2019 he was saying that all the new hotels being built were never going to be filled and we had a massive oversupply. Have you tried to book a hotel room recently is there any sign what he was saying was correct.

in regards office space there was very much a divided opinion in 2018/19 and many like McWilliams highlighted the big tech head quarters as a sign the market had peaked….This assumption comes back to a phenomenon in the UK whereby every time a UK Bank opened its new shiny new HQ the bank was either taken over or got into difficulties. (many believe that this is because they paid more attention to the HQ than the actual business). There is little to no Empirical evidence to support this but make for good reading.

warehouse space was always going to be a growth area because of brexit and the fact that it looked unlikely that an agreement on trade would be reached

That leave residential property in the CRE market (I think the definition in the regs is 6+ residential properties = CRE) There is still no signs of slowdown here because as investors pull back AHB have stepped in. Take Apartment building in cork at the moment currently just shy of 1,000 hardly any BTR as investors and majority all being built for AHB as either social or affordable and I would expect to see a very similar situation in Dublin.

Saying McWilliams prediction in 2019 was right is not necessary the case when you jump into the facts..Also you can’t ignore the elephant in the room of his prediction in 2019 that house price will fall and don’t buy now as you will loose which he then doubled down on during Covid. Anyone listening to his advice then are financially worse off today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Ozark707

For hotels, one of the main reasons there is nothing available is that the gov are taking up a huge number of rooms now.

Advertisement