Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is our/ Irish peoples obsession with The Fields Of Athenry song? It's a nice song to sing yes.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Why drag up the famine from almost 200 years ago at a football or rugby match at all? A depressing - some would say racist - song about famine, brutality, prison, punishment, emigration?

I would say the same thing about people singing songs about the battle of the Boyne. Among themselves in a field around a bonfire in July ok, hard to stop that, but not in "mixed company".

• Registered Users Posts: 67,521 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You are totally wrong again. You said aabove " Singing ooh Ah Up the 'RA to deliberately taunt or intimidate is totally wrong and always will be, Singing it in a dressing room is not deliberately taunting anyone."

Singing "uh ah Up the 'ra" in a dressing room is wrong, just as if the Northern Irish team was singing "uh ah up the UVF" in their dressing room would be, if their national soccer team did it, which they did not.

Read carefully, it does not bother me in the slightest what people sing in private. Sing to your hearts content IMO.

If you do it to taunt or share a video of it to taunt then that is wrong and that is where apologies are due and should not happen again. The Irish girls humbly and without equivocation, apologised.

You have not discussed, in a frank honest and open manner, the issue of anti-British songs with Northern Irish Rugby supporters. As suspected.

As you are a hard core extremist Republican, I do not think they would even feel comfortable discussing politics with you / telling you the truth. They are they for the rugby, not for a fight.

Now you will try to alter what I said,,,WHICH WAS NOT that I 'discussed these songs' with anyone. I said something totally different to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭chooseusername

What would you have them sing to spur their team on? Blowing Bubbles or Irelands Call? or maybe " A Nation Once Again!

The idea that a group will set itself up to decide what songs people sing or don't sing is deeply chilling. North Korean/Taliban level stuff.

There is an effort to sow the seeds of division in the rugby team (which is a model of how inclusiveness and accommodation might work) by orchestrating discomforts and offence, that just aren't there.

There is a cohort north and south who ally together to try to wreck initiatives like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Why drag it up? Because our ancestors coming through such a devastating event and prospering, is a point of pride.

So a song about the British handling of the famine is out because it might hurt british people's feelings. Maybe they're the real victims of the famine because thinking about how their people handled it is a bit uncomfortable for them.

What songs would you sanction for the rugby supporters to sing?

• Advertisement

You said  "Singing ooh Ah Up the 'RA to deliberately taunt or intimidate is totally wrong and always will be, Singing it in a dressing room is not deliberately taunting anyone."

What about those in the dressing room who do not subscribe to your idea that the pIRA were great?

What about those in the dressing room who may have had a relative or friend a victim of the pIRA (and there were hundreds of thousands)?

What about those in the dressing room who do not like their team mates all around them singing up the 'RA?

What about those in the dressing room next door or in the corridor who hear the chants glorifying the paramilitary group?

How would you like it if those in the changing room were singing "Up the UVF"? If you think singing Up the 'Ra is ok, and ok to glorify the paramilitaries on one side, then surely you must think it would be ok to glorify the paramilitaries on the other side?

No wonder most people do not want the kind of united Ireland you do, I do not blame unionists / protestants for not wanting to join a team which chants Up the RA. And do not forget the 'RA murdered Gardai here too.

I hear people singing songs I find objectionable all the time. All the time. Do I go out of my way to find them ...no I don't. People sing songs on all sides and for many reasons. So what?

Can you name me a democratic society where banning people from singing songs has worked or is even feasible?

What is it you want to do here? Can you offer anything in the way of a workable solution?

You did not answer the questions. Do try harder. Answer the questions.

What about those in the dressing room who do not subscribe to your idea that the pIRA were great?

What about those in the dressing room who may have had a relative or friend a victim of the pIRA (and there were hundreds of thousands)?

What about those in the dressing room who do not like their team mates all around them singing up the 'RA?

What about those in the dressing room next door or in the corridor who hear the chants glorifying the paramilitary group?

How would you like it if those in the changing room were singing "Up the UVF"? If you think singing Up the 'Ra is ok, and ok to glorify the paramilitaries on one side, then surely you must think it would be ok to glorify the paramilitaries on the other side?

Then ask yourself again if you should have written " Singing it (up the 'RA) in a dressing room is not deliberately taunting anyone."

So is your solution - nobody should sing anything?

Because somebody somewhere might be offended?

Why won't you present workable solutions to this?

There is no hope for a U.I. when S.F. supporters like you see nothing wrong with singing Up the RA in a dressing room.

NOW, Answer the questions.

Then ask yourself again if you should have written " Singing it (up the 'RA) in a dressing room is not deliberately taunting anyone."

• Advertisement

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with Celtic Symphony.

It's not my kind of music but if somebody wants to sing it, there is nothing I can see that can be done about it.

Generally, if you are singing songs to deliberately taunt somebody that is wholly and fundamentally wrong. And if it qualifies should be prosecuted under the law or sanctions issued by those who they represent. I.E. the FAI, The IFA, The IRFU, The GAA etc etc

Do you have any solutions other than issuing lists of songs that can be sung which is deeply chilling tbh when you even begin to think about the songs from all cultures on this island that would be on that list.

I have no interest in a totalitarian society like that and it would be a recipe for deepening division rather than healing it.

YOU said "Generally, if you are singing songs to deliberately taunt somebody that is wholly and fundamentally wrong."

Most people would say Generally, if you are singing songs glorifying paramilitary groups ( especially paramilitary groups that have killed and maimed thousands or tens of thousands within living memory ) that is wholly and fundamentally wrong

Yes, I dare say most people would.

I don't sing them myself but I do enjoy some historical rebel songs, and indeed have listened without outrage to songs from the other community.

People are going to sing songs Francis. You either accept that reality and try to get them to do it with respect for the other community, or you live forever getting offended by one thing or another.

Take the Parades Commission - once the contentious parades are controlled and people respect others, it is clear that nobody has an issue with the 12th passing off. 100's of parades pass off without anyone saying boo.

That is what I mean re: songs. Ensure to the maximum that nobody deliberately does it to offend or taunt and after that, there is nothing that can be done bar totalitarian thought control methods.

If people are clicking on videos of people singing a song and getting offended...don't click on the video. Don't go to concert by a band that is known to play Irish rebel songs or Loyalist ones. Life is too short.

Would you also say don't go to a Victims Parade in Dublin O'Connel St ( Love Ulster Parade) if you are likely to be offended by it.

Don't go and play on the Irish national football team if you are likely to be offended by the team chanting Up the Ra.

Don't go to the pub if you are offended by someone inserting Up the RA and SF in to "the Fields of Athenry" ) - someone earlier said they witnessed a SF TD encouraging that behaviour in the pub.

And you are saying - even at this stage when you are trying / your job is to entice people in to a U.I. - if there was a UI, everyone apart from 'RA sympathisers can f off.

Yes. If that is upsetting to you and you know that is going to happen.

We are a divided people with different narratives and perspectives. The reality is at the moment that you cannot avoid hearing those narratives and that is not going to change on the island of Ireland today or in a united Ireland.

Work to get people to respect each others perspectives, rather than take the totalitarian approach. Challenge them by all means but respect the other view.

Singing songs to taunt deliberately is wrong, totally wrong, singing songs of your own culture/perspective isn't wrong.

That's my view and if you don't have a workable solution that recognizes that all sides have songs that can be offensive, then this debate between us is done.

Propose solutions, we are well aware of the issues on all sides.

lol. A U.I is not going to happen. The Gardai are safe for a long time in not having to look under their cars before they leave their kids to school. Do not forget the first policeman killed during the troubles was killed by loyalists.

You are wrong about songs: singing songs of your own culture/perspective is wrong when it is glorifying paramilitaries.

You believing they are wrong is not going to stop it happening.

Now, as you don't have any workable solutions as to how we deal with that reality, I'll leave it until you do present some.

Me and others believing what is wrong - bombs under Garda's cars in the morning taking kids to schools, bombs in Dublin buses etc - is not going to stop it happened if there was a United Ireland?

At least one good thing, the more you insert IRA in to the Fields of Athenry, and sing Up the Ra, the further distant a U.I. becomes. ;)

No, I believe it won't happen based on a detailed look at the logistics and challenges that faces anyone from Loyalism/Unionism that wants to do that and how they managed it in the past.

But that does not of course address what solutions you propose to deal with the singing of songs that people on all sides find offensive.

• Advertisement

As the post above shows, IRA songs will still be sung while the leadership of Sinn Fein encourages and partakes in it. It says it all.

Thankfully the loyalist politicians do not encourage or take part in chanting "Up the UVF" or anything like that : not surprising as bands on stage from that community do not glorify paramilitaries either.

It says it all when you see nothing wrong with a sports team chanting "Up the RA", and it shows what type of Ireland you want.

The thread is about The Fields Of Athenry being sung at football matches. Yet you want to make it about SF and the IRA. Neither of whom are singing or mentioned in the song.

In the post above you will see your comrade Martin Ferris TD and the insertion of IRA and SF in to the song....

Not very surprising, is it, when it is a depressingly anti-British song raking up old bitterness about the famine etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭chooseusername

“insertion of IRA and SF in to the song....”

Funny I never heard that at the rugby match.

You can insert 'IRA and SF' into any song you want.

What is your point?

You don't like the song. That isn't sufficient reason for it not to be sung. Sorry.

P.S. There isn't a syllable of it that is 'anti-British' it is anti the British Crown's rule in Ireland at a particular time.

You can inset IRA and SF in to any song you want, but people are much more likely to insert them in to songs which stir up anti-British hatred, as is the case.

You would be the very one who would be complaining if, for example, the Scottish ladies football team was chanting "Up the UVF". Or if there were loyalist songs being sung by the crowd at a Scottish football match, saying for example"the famine is ov-ver, why dooon't youu go homee". With a UVF or UDA chant included in the version in the pub afterwards.

The few fist pumps and IRA chants to the fields of Athenry by Martin Ferris just show is not not a very inclusive song. Not that they want to be inclusive it seems, if they still honour and glorify the paramilitaries which carried out a sectarian murder campagin - ethnic cleansing along the border as many people in N.I. saw it. That is how many of our neighbours in N.I. saw it, you cannot change the facts.

In 1984, Ferris was caught red handed on a ship trying to import seven tons of explosives, firearms and ammunition. How many Warringtons would that have caused? From wiki, "Ferris has courted controversy by his refusal to condemn the murder of Detective Garda Jerry McCabe during a botched Post Office raid by the Provisional IRA in 1996. Ferris had also greeted Pearse McAuley and Kevin Walsh, the men charged with the manslaughter of Garda McCabe, upon their release from prison as part of the Good Friday Agreement

I do see loads of people complaining about football chants and songs. I wouldn't be one of them. Could not be less bothered tbh.

There is not a syllable of the Fields that is 'anti British'.

It is a love song written from the point of view of somebody deported on a prison ship for stealing corn to feed himself and family. by the British Crown.

Plenty in Britain itself would have found themselves in the same position and as somebody pointed out there are Scottish and Welsh versions of this song.

Again, you are taking offence on behalf of people who are clearly not offended.

Bizarre really

• Advertisement

If you talk to a lot of people in N.I., I think you will find they were "very offended" by the pIRA campaign, which some look on there as ethnic cleansing, and clearly - if you ever listened to a loyalist - they do not love the Uh Ah Up the Ra as much as you do.

You thought there was nothing wrong with teams in dressing rooms chanting up the ra.

What do you think of Ferris doing fist pumps when 'RA is inserted in to the Fields of Athenry?

As I said, you would be the very one who would be complaining if, for example, the Scottish ladies football team was chanting "Up the UVF". Or if there were loyalist songs being sung by the crowd at a Scottish football match, saying for example"the famine is ov-ver, why dooon't youu go homee". With a UVF or UDA chant included in the version in the pub afterwards.

Advertisement