Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is our/ Irish peoples obsession with The Fields Of Athenry song? It's a nice song to sing yes.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,198 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Supporters at football matches have sung offensive stuff, and displayed offensive banners etc. Off you go and find a post with complaints from me. I have complained about an Ireland v Northern Ireland game that is infamous for it's tension. But my complaints about that are centred on it being orchestrated by the NI management team.

I think sharing a video of footballers chanting something can be offensive if it is intended to taunt. Clicking on that video knowing what it is and then being offended, is looking to be offended,

You have presented NO evidence of anyone being offended by Fields Of Athenry. Zero. So I contend you are taking offence on behalf of supporters who are not offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Francis McM

You said you have no problem with a team chanting "Up the RA", as long as a video is not shared.

What if there are people on that team or in the changing rooms next door or people in the corridor who had family victims of the pIRA, for example, or who simply do not agree with singing support for paramilitaries?

Of course you would want evidence of people being offended.

When you see nothing wrong with the Irish ladies soccer team chanting uh Ah Up the RA - except they were caught / filmed - it is quite obvious if there is a UI that people who do not agree with the pIRA would not be welcome on the team.... to put it lightly.

Do you think everyone in the pub that Martin Ferris walked in to agreed with him doing fist pumps to the chants of IRA inserted in to "Fields of Athenry"? Of course there is no "evidence" people are ever offended by inserts of IRA in to Fields of Athenry, says you.

You would be the very one complaining if there were chants of UVF or whatever in to loyalist songs in public places.

We are not discussing Martin Ferris, that is a different thing to a song sung by people at a rugby match.

I am not a totalitarian, if a team sings something in the privacy of a dressing room there is nothing I can do about that. If somebody in that dressing room is offended and doesn't come forward, there is nothing I or a governing body can do. Somebody shared the video and action was taken and an unequivocal apology was issued.

What is it you want done here?

What solutions are you offering? Jailtime for singing a song?

Right seen as any grown up song seems to offend someone, looking to be offended, I propose a new inclusive song for all our Irish sports events.

The Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round

It was not me who brought up the subject of Martin Ferris, it was someone else, who witnessed him doing fist pumps in response to, and seemingly to encourage the crowd to insert IRA in to the Fields of Athenry song.

The Fields is sung not just in Stadiums but in pubs etc etc too.

If you see nothing wrong with a football team chanting up ah up the RA, even though there may be people with family victims of the 'RA on the team ( never mind next door or in the corridor )...there is something very wrong.

I would say the same if a sports team was chanting Up the UVF or whatever. Paramilitaries should never be glorified. You should know that.

At least you agree that "You can inset IRA and SF in to any song you want, but people are much more likely to insert them in to songs which stir up anti-British hatred, as is the case."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭amacca

🤣🤣

I would find it highly entertaining if a crowd of irish fans were organised prepared enough to belt maniac out

More for the looks of bemusement on the opposition fans faces

Maniac 2000

Mark McCabe

Lyrics 

About 

Tracklist 

Comments 

Maniac 2000 Lyrics

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

All you guys better know the first verse

Are you ready now

Alright

She walked across the dance floor that night

She was dressed to kill

She was a sexy lady

She had to get her thrill

How'd she get him

How'd she know

And all the music, the beat, the tempo

She was all up for that night

She was in for a fright

Standby

BLP KOSHER 'Special K' Official Lyrics & Meaning | Genius Verified

BLP KOSHER 'Special K' Official Lyrics & Meaning | Genius Verified

Back in the house for the year 2000

Yeah, yeah, funky, yeah

She's attack, she's attack

She's a maniac

Alright

She walked across the dance floor that night

She was dressed to kill

She was a sexy lady

She had to get her thrill

How'd she get him

How'd she know

And all the music, the beat, the tempo

She was all up for that night

She was in for a fright

She said, greetings

Hold tight with a new jam

Hold tight with the mic in the left hand

It's me and I'm up on the groove tip

Are you ready now move to the roof

Now life; It has no meaning

Are you ready now - move to the madness

On a party night to you

We bring this groove to you

The referees a wanker!

That's a dated, 23 years old, s*ite song too. Best suited to a rave at the turn of the century.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,789 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Buses ! Are you mad ?

Boards is full of losers offended by public transport. Far too divisive.

Paramilitaries are glorified the world over and will be.

Paramilitaries are not glorified by Irish rugby supporters singing the FoA

The Fields of Athenry is not remotely 'anti British'. It is anti- being deported for stealing corn to feed your hungry family

You not liking the song is not a sufficient reason to stop singing it.

• Advertisement

Paramilitaries are NOT glorified the world over. After Enniskillen practically every country in the world condemned the pIRA, from the USA to Russia.

You did not answer the question ( no surprise) : Do you think everyone in the pub that Martin Ferris walked in to agreed with him doing fist pumps to the chants of IRA inserted in to "Fields of Athenry"?

How many Warringtons would the 7 tonnes of explosives etc that Martin Ferris was caught on the ship trying to import have caused?

You would be the very one complaining if there were chants of UVF or whatever in to loyalist songs in public places.

I don't know the answer to the Martin Ferris question. I don't know the people who were in the pub. I don't know if it even happened.

Martin Ferris is responsible for what Martin Ferris does, not me.

Now have you any evidence that you are not inventing and orchestrating outrage about the singing of the Fields Of Athenry at sports matches?

You asked me about Martin Ferris, Ferris was in the IRA, I suspect he supported them. just guessing. 🙄

What has it to do with singing the Fields Of Athenry at a rugby match?

Do wake up and read gormdubhdibh's post. It was in a pub where the singing was, and no surprise that IRA and SF was inserted in to the Fields of Athenry song. Ferris anticipated it, by all accounts, and fist thumped, according to the witness.

You think poor innocent girls ( who possibly have family or friends who were victims of the IRA) should have to endure IRA chants from their team mates if they are on a sports team. So that is the kind of Ireland you hope to entice Northerners in to, to play on the national soccer team. Good luck with that.

Ferris supported the IRA. As many did.

You were going to give us a solution to people singing songs that others find offensive.

What is YOUR solution to this? There are hundreds of songs that people find offensive.

Some did but most did not, during the troubles. Even in N.I., most Catholics did not support SF during the troubles. Here south of the border SF / IRA typically got only 1 or 2% of the vote during the troubles, with no TDs.

There are not hundreds of songs that glorify paramilitaries.

Now please answer the questions. Why do you think poor innocent girls ( who possibly have family or friends who were victims of the IRA) should have to endure IRA chants from their team mates if they are on a sports team?

Is that is the kind of Ireland you hope to entice Northerners in to, to play on the national soccer team?

I bet you those who didn’t support the IRA don’t sing songs about them.

I think the sharing of people singing a song to taunt is wrong.

I think singing a song to taunt or hurt is wrong.

I think singing a song because you want to is not wrong.

I can’t be any clearer.

p.s. the Fields of Athenry has nothing to do with paramilitaries

So you thing those songs or chants glorifying paramilitaries are wrong and you see sense at last, great.

I have been making the same point for ages. Great you get it.

• Advertisement

They aren't looking for a replacement. The Fields will remain. And long may it do so. Great to hear it sung by a crowd IMO.

It is depressing song ( what could be more depressing than famine, death, forced emigration, bitterness against our neighbours etc ) and since it became popular, the Irish soccer team has done worse than ever. It is a pity - but no surprise - it is sometimes hijacked by extremist Republicans who insert the IRA and SF in to it. Not at rugby matches, but sometimes in pubs etc. One good thing, it drives the day of a U.I. further away.

As regards the IRA chants among sprts teams, it is a pity you still think poor innocent girls ( who possibly have family or friends who were victims of the IRA) should have to endure IRA chants from their team mates, if they are on a sports team. As noted previously, if is the kind of Ireland you hope to entice Northerners in to, to play on the national soccer team, good luck with that. Will not happen.

So Francis, weren't you going to give us a solution to the problem of people singing songs that some find hurtful or offensive?

What songs go on this list and how do you impose your solution, if you have one.

As there is no known examples of anyone finding the Fields Of Athenry offensive at the games it is sung at, we can put it to one side. You not liking it personally is not a sufficient reason and I don't think anyone would take a blind bit of notice.

Simple solution, stop singing your songs glorfying paramilitaries, and stop tarnishing songs by inserting IRA and SF in to them.

As I said, you would be the very one who would be complaining if, for example, the Scottish ladies football team was chanting "Up the UVF". Or if there were loyalist songs being sung by the crowd at a Scottish football match, saying for example"the famine is ov-ver, why dooon't youu go homee". With a UVF or UDA chant included in the version in the pub afterwards.

Why do you still think poor innocent girls ( who possibly have family or friends who were victims of the IRA) should have to endure IRA chants from their team mates, if they are on a sports team?

That's a request to somebody who doesn't sing songs about paramilitaries. Nor inserts lines in songs.

It's not a solution therefore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭amacca

Ah relax ffs, did you really think I thought they were looking for a replacement🤣

It would be a solution if people stop singing your songs glorfying paramilitaries - it does not matter if it is IRA or UVF. In this country / on the island it is mostly songs glorifying the IRA we hear about, be it from the national soccer team or Feile etc. Or even the pub, as someone said when they witnessed Ferris fist thumping when IRA and SF was unsurprisingly inserted in Fields of Athenry.

As I said, and you ignored , you would be the very one who would be complaining if, for example, the Scottish ladies football team was chanting "Up the UVF". Or if there were loyalist songs being sung by the crowd at a Scottish football match, saying for example"the famine is ov-ver, why dooon't youu go homee". With a UVF or UDA chant included in the version in the pub afterwards.

You still have not explained why do you still think poor innocent girls ( who possibly have family or friends who were victims of the IRA) should have to endure IRA chants from their team mates, if they are on a sports team?

It is time IRA chants stopped being inserted in to the Fields or at the end of ladies national football matches.

Ok. I

'Will yiz stop singing songs!'

Nope, didn't work Francis. Now what?

• Advertisement

It is not the singing of songs, it is the vocal glorification of paramilitaries. To be condemned on both sides.

Advertisement