Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭zg3409

Easygo did this in partnership with eir and there are dual branded easygo eir chargers in mayo. The old press release was up to hundreds of old pay phone sites may be chargers but I only see a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I've heard it said before that it's often cheaper to buy a cheap short range EV like a Leaf or Zoe and then just rent a bigger car when you need to travel further

Has anyone ever actually done that? I wonder what the experience was like and was it worthwhile?

I appreciate that it might not be workable for anyone outside the Pale, but since 40% of the population lives in the Dublin commuter belt then it's worth considering that if that 40% could be persuaded to buy a small and cheaper EV then it would significantly reduce our carbon emissions

Anyway, the potential savings seem fairly compelling. The difference between say a Dacia Spring and MG4 is probably around €10k, much more when compared to something like an ID.4

Just did some checking and you can rent a sh!tbox Kia Sportage for a weekend for around €400, or an ID.4 for €550

I'd say a shorter range EV gets a bit head wrecking above a 200km journey, so if you only go beyond that twice a year then you could rent cars for nearly 10 years and still end up spending less

I don't think anyone is going to be selling up their cars on the back of this, but it'd be interesting considering that some manufacturers seem to want to move to more of a leasing based model

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

>I've heard it said before that it's often cheaper to buy a cheap short range EV like a Leaf or Zoe and then just rent a bigger car when you need to travel further

It does work.

My relatives in northside Dublin for a long time had a really old Fiat, which nobody would think of robbing, for shopping and whatnot and for leaving the pale for funerals or stuff like that they'd hire a nice shiny car .

Of course, the scumbags in the area still robbed the radio , even though it was a push button analogue one , i.e. one of these yokes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Vinfast, probably what some people feared Chinese cars would be when they came here, but the Chinese turned out to be decent. A lot of this cars problems are supposedly being addressed in software updates, though that won't fix the ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Laviski

with my leaf, there is about 10 days in the year where i would do a 200+km trip. I make no qualms of the limitations of the leaf in these circumstances however with about 5 mins of planning with redundancy included its workable. Furthermore have kids in tow, stopping is a must regardless so might as well charge.

however if ESB continue to remove Chademo points this may become more problematic and then just renting a car for those days may become the better option in especially those remote area's where there is alack of infra for all e cars.

I am very happy with my leaf and no intention of changing, it is perfect for city/short commutes. Considering what i seen and test driven, telsa is the next car down the line but just too much of a stretch at present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭micks_address

different topic but ive noticed 'mr ev?' on youtube has been renting his evs last few months from a company called onto (uk based).. initial prices seem high but it covers road tax/insurance as well and you have no lump sum tied up as a deposit for a PCP etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

+1

Probably takes more time (and certainly a lot more money) to organise a rental car for the few times your low range car couldn't handle it comfortably. Unless you are not fussy and just hop into the local go car. Personally I would just take a bit more time for those trips that are out of range

I kept my old ICE. At times I declared it off the road to reduce road tax to zero but only in blocks of 1-3 months. Thus we became a 3 car household. I also then sold the ICE spare and had a classic car with 56 euro annual tax and 230 euro annual insurance.

I have swapped, borrowed, hired cars as required. Gocar tends to be very expensive for a whole weekend and no guarantees on the day there will be a car available near to you.

Lately I am just public charging on longer trips as in taking the time planning ahead and stopping at quieter sites and granny charging at grannies.

Our second car is a diesel so much less so of an issue day to day. Ideally your EV should have the range to cover 95%+ of trips on home charging only.

Post edited by zg3409 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Muxsan the Dutch crowd that do the Leaf battery conversions* and range extender batteries.

Were supposed to be doing a conversion to allow Leafs and eNV200s charge on CCS.

Not sure how that progressed

*ie a 40 kwh Leaf battery in a 24/30 kwh Leaf

Interesting (albeit somewhat long winded) discussion about NACS and how it's winning the plug war in the US

Quick summary, NACS is probably the nicer plug and it's cool that it won but it's literally not going to solve anything about public charging in the short term (in the US)

I agree with the reasoning that the problem with public charging isn't the CCS plug but rather the convoluted payment process of using an app or RFID card instead of just paying with money

I'm also in agreement that Plug & Charge is a nice to have, but the ability to pay with a debit card (or dare I say it, cash money) is essential

I think the video also exposed a gap in the recent EU regulations regarding EV chargers, which is that while it's great that chargers will be required to have card readers, it doesn't really replicate the simplicity of fueling a petrol car

I'm sure we've all had the experience where a charger wouldn't start for whatever reason and you're on the phone to support trying to get them to fix the issue from potentially hundreds of kilometres away

Whereas in a petrol station there's generally a person in the shop who can manually start the pump if the card reader is broken. Or you can even pay with cash money if you want. To be clear, I'm not one of these cash free society conspiracy theorists, I avoid using cash as much as possible but I also respect that there's people who prefer to use cash and they don't deserve to be excluded from EV ownership

Anyway, it'd be great if there was some trained person on-site who could help out with some basic troubleshooting, or maybe even if the staff in the shop could force the charger to authenticate and start and take payment in the shop

It'd be great if the EU charger regulations contained some provision for this, at least along major routes. I can understand it's probably not feasible for every shop or hotel with a charger to have trained persons onsite

Frankly, I don't think it'll happen because even petrol stations are moving to an unmanned system as much as possible. Some stations will only allow pay at pumps outside business hours and the shop is closed

Anyway, that's my Sunday rant over and done with 😁

• Advertisement

Some certa petrol stations are unmanned 24/7 (mostly next to Tesco stores). There is other 24/7 unmanned near Dublin airport.

In terms of leaf to CCS conversion it can be done but the kit is not available yet. There will be an Irish group doing this. Its a pity it's not just a "chunky" adapter. Tesla model s had both CCS and chademo adapters meaning it could use Tesla Europe old style and CCS and chademo, one of very few cars that could both chademo and CCS. Often they had 22kW AC too. If an adapter could be volume produced it would be much cheaper. There is differences in protocol and it might need built in locking system, but it could and should be done.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I plan on watching that video, but all Tesla's now have the CCS protocol in them.

If the NACS is pin compatible with CCS and a simple adapter will allow current ccs cars to work with an adapter, it will catch on very quickly.

He made a very good point about that in the video regarding passive cooling

Basically Tesla kinda get away with ignoring the conventional current limits on their conductors by having temperature sensors at strategic locations (in the plug and car, among others)

But if there's now an adapter seperating the plug from the car and you can't sense the temperature of it, then you'll either need to seriously beef up the conductors or derate the charging

So I could see an Apple like scenario where if you don't have a Tesla certified adapter (and they figure out a way of detecting it) then you could have your charging automatically limited to 50kW or something

I don't know how it'll play out, there should be enough space in the adapter for a PCB with a controller and temperature sensor which can talk to the charger, if manufacturers are bothered installing one

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Oh look…surprise surprise it wasn’t the EV’s that started the ship fire last month… in fact the EV’s on board (13% of all cars on board the ship), are all still in excellent condition end will still end up being sold to customers…

Ha, was just about to post that

So I'm sure we can look forward to an apology from The Sun and the other gutter press throughout the world for spreading misinformation 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Redfox25

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭sk8board

Like all these types of news articles, the truth is buried in the nuance of how they’re written.

firstly, they didn’t technically spread misinformation - if you read the early articles after the fire broke out from any reputable source, you’ll find lines like this one from euronews (I’m only picking euronews cause it’s a melting pot of all EU news network sources) “According to initial information from the Coast Guard immediately after the fire started, an e-car may have been the starting point.”

and secondly, this initial salvage report doesn’t actually say an EV didn’t start the fire - it says that the lower 4 decks of cars are still intact, and that the lower 4 decks includes up to 500 EVs.

So it seems to be correct that the theory that an EV started the fire doesn’t hold up, but to be very clear - that’s not actually what this salvage report says, or doesn’t say.

the sasatimes and some EV sites have simply done what the other news networks did at the start of this, and deduced it for themselves.

I agree with you both btw, I’d really like to see the salvage report get the same amount of column inches as the initial fire did, but unfortunately that’s not how news cycle work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Saw a video on Reddit of a car on fire at the McDonald's drive thru in Newbridge and straight away "I heard it's an EV".

Did we forget about that shitbox car that went on fire in the multistory in Cork or wherever it was? Why is it presumed every car fire was an EV when there's no basis for it?

Spotted that on RTE, looked a bit like an Audi or maybe Hyundai saloon from the shell of the car

Didn't look at all like any EV that I know of

And yeah, people are idiots 😕

The vast majority of cars going on fire in this country are Opels and BMWs. Diesels.

• Advertisement

Newbridge fire looks to be a Merc C Class saloon - W204*.

Someone on twitter even put up a photo with a circle around the exhaust pipe.

The wider implications is that members of the public sometimes think the likelihood of an EV fire is much higher than it actually is.....

*2007 to 2014 generation C class

What's happened is that pretty much every article on the undamaged cars has been written in the following type of way.

"1000 cars including 500 EVs appear to be in good condition"

We were already told that there was 498 EVs on the ship.

So it's logical to think that 500 EVs out of 1000 cars been in good condition means all EVs were away from the cause of the fire and not part of causing its spread either.

What I'd like to know is how EVs have got on been transported out of NON German ports.

• Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 276 ✭✭Jazz Hands

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

….

• Registered Users Posts: 23,365 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It’s scary how many people are sure it’s an EV and spreading so much hate.

its also scary how many people soak it up,

really show you how people are brainwashed. There the same folk falling for the anti vaccines, xenophobia etc

EV fires when they happen tend to be big news.

So people who don't know about EVs think EV fires are much more common then they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭CoBo55

It was the same malarkey back in the 80s when cars were fitted with LPG, oh if you're in a crash it'll burst into flames etc.. nothing about the rusted tin box of a petrol tank that you were carrying your fiver of petrol in.

Exactly. Have a look at the comments under today's article stating that there is 99% chance 2023 will be the hottest year ever. Don't look too long as your faith in humanity will never be ok again 😂

If there was ever evidence that could refute the theory of natural selection then the comments section of The Journal would be it

Honestly I think the reason all the comments are so short is because the morons who tried to write long winded responses suffocated because they forgot to breathe

Of course I wonder how much if it is just bots posting shite, although they tend to be better spoken than the average idiot 😂

• Advertisement

Probably looking more likely that there might have been EVs in other areas of the Freemantle highway not just Decks 1 to 4.

Quite a few people seem to think one of the Porsches in one of the leaked photos looks like a Taycan.

This obviously doesn't mean an EV started it because apart from anything else I suspect that the damage at the location the fire started - likely means you can't recognise the cars there or even stand there to take photos.

It merely means that there are EVs elsewhere on the ship so EVs can't yet be exonerated from blame based on the "1000 cars with 500 of them EVs are undamaged" statements that were doing the rounds.

Advertisement