Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭zg3409

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

.and what App do you use to show Kona battery stats please?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭coolbeans

• Registered Users Posts: 11,060 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

There's some interesting analysis of Toyota's EV "strategy" here

Long story short, there's a lot of marketing but very little on the details

For example Toyota claim to be developing a 1,000km EV, but don't make clear exactly how to achieve that range. Speed limits in Japan are limited to 100km/h so the cars gain efficiency there and WLTP ranges are longer

They also mentioned "cruising range" which doesn't correspond to any range test cycle. So if you got 12kWh/100km driving at 100km/h and a 120kWh battery then you've 1,000km range.... except you don't

Other aspects of their strategy also got rubbished for not having any details, like the 10 mins recharge time. It's generally accepted that a 10-80% charge is only capable in 10 mins using fully solid state batteries, but it doesn't seem likely Toyota will have those deployed at scale by 2027

So using semi solid batteries you're looking at more like 20 mins which is already in the realm of some cars today

I think the closing line really hit home, Toyota doesn't need to be Tesla, they don't need exciting high tech cars but need to focus on making reliable, affordable and efficient EVs. So far with the bz4x they've largely failed to do that, hopefully they pull it out of the fire before they go bust

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭DrPsychia

While I really dislike Toyota for their self charging marketing and awful pace of BEV development, they are a long way from going bust imo. Keep in mind that outside of world's richest countries there are a whole lot less fortunate nations/continents with relatively poor infrastructure and which the majority of the population can't afford a BEV such as South America, South East Asia, Africa, parts of middle East. Toyota is still very popular in wealthy nations but that will slowly change over the coming couple decades.

• Advertisement

Yes absolutely true, however they have effectively been kicked out of one of their biggest markets (China) due to not having any competing EVs to sell

So while I agree they won't go bust, their time as the world's largest car company could be coming to an end

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I wouldnt be so sure on needing solid state batteries to get 10 mins 10-80%. The Taycan is already at 17-18 minutes for that in ideal conditions, if it could maintain the 270kW for longer or have a higher initial peak (get some cobalt back in batteries!) I think it would be mathematically possible at least without solid state. If you put the Ioniq28 C rate on some larger packs like the taycan, I'd say it gets close to 10 minutes!

Yeah true enough and they did mention in the article that there were batteries available now which could handle that, although that's as much down to the enormous cooling system than cell chemistry

I think the main issue was with the vagueness of the 10 mins claim. You can charge any EV in 10 mins technically, just plug it in for the allotted time and then unplug it. The big difference is in how much you got 😁

So are Toyota doing a typical 10-80% charge in 10 mins like most other manufacturers, or again is it more wonder maths like just applying the max charging speed to 60% of the pack size and ignoring the fact that's not how batteries work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭innrain

I use Evnotify when I charge the car. I have the app open on an old phone in the car and I can see the charging speed and other things on my personal phone. You need some form of data connection on the old phone. I also connected to ABRP and have it on android auto so one could plan routes better. with live battery values. My 2019 Kona is the one without GPS so in this way I made it a bit "smarter".

Another app, Car scanner is the same Bjorn uses it to have some more info about the car.

I'd put nothing past toyota at this point, true!

Could be as simple as the claims made by idiotic journalists like Dim Tim in the times or that annoying one whos name begins with G but i can't remember it now. "These chargers charge at 350kW and you have a 50kWh battery so it will be done in 7 minutes."

• Advertisement

Theres another called torqueflight or something, usually they are only on android. Bjorn uses the best apps I find, so if he's using it it's probably the best one for that situation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭wassie

We need new technologies like solid state batteries as soon as possible so we can move away from the need for rare metals, especially cobalt.

The environmental impacts and human costs of mining cobalt in particular are well documented.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

We don't need solid state batteries to move away from using rare metals like cobalt and the awful circumstances of mining it. We already got LiFePO4 and soon the even cheaper NaFePO4. These are perfectly fine for use in EVs and home storage

And I disagree with some posters here. Toyota is utterly fooked, they are failing to even sell cars in China, their biggest profit source in the past. For many years the Toyota Corolla was the world's best selling car. Now it is the Tesla Model Y and Toyota barely make any BEVs. Toyota was the world's biggest car maker, soon it will be BYD. Even Tesla will make more cars than Toyota in a few years time. And Japan as an economy is in very dark waters, they won't be able to bail the likes of Toyota out even if they wanted to. I wouldn't be surprised if the company will go bankrupt within a decade.

The cobalt comment was half in jest. We need that performance but in a better way. LFP (and other variants as @unkel mentions above) are more resiliant and longer lasting than initial li-ion that was used up to now. I have a feeling that solid state batteries are close to hydrogen in private cars, both are good on paper but we are eons away from getting there and may not get there in our lifetime.

The limitations of LFP are known, cold weather performance, low energy density (leading to higher weight and more space needed). But they can take a pounding and dont have the risks of fire. If we can find a way to get them to safely charge at the same C rate that the ioniq 28 did, we're almost at the 10-12 mins to 80% level

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭wassie

Solid state battery technology may not be that far away, given NIO have announced their semi-solid state battery tech going into production in the ES6 suv. The challenge will be getting the technology to achieve (or get close to) cost parity with current battery chemistry, like current EV tech has to do with fossil fuels. If large-scale production of SS batteries occurs, no doubt electric cars will become mainstream very quickly.

The work Porsche have done with lithium tech certainly is interesting - their other project on carbon neutral synthetic fuels is equally so. My view though is that this may help serve a niche market and help keep ICE motor racing alive.

Personally I'd happily take an EV with LFP cells, the drawbacks don't really worry me and the advantages are absolutely worth it IMO

I would and have done so. I think the tech is much better. We have 3 EVs, 2 of them are LFP and one is a heavily degraded 2011 nissan leaf that I bought as a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Trying to keep up with all the charger companies now with their separate apps.etc. leaf driver here.

So I have esb account and easygo. Apps for both. What other ones are out there case I ever need them?

On a related note they really need to unify to get more uptake. Being cashless etc is great for me who hates cash but not so much for the older folk or those who don't want to pay tax.

Once you have plugshare to find chargers that's all you need. The rest (circle k, applegreen etc) have card payments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭creedp

Not clear what the relevance of the last category mentioned above in this context?

My issue with multiple operators relates to the requirement that a minimum account balance be maintained before you can charge. Fair enough if one account covers all chargers but unreasonable if multiple operators demand individual balances. Chargers need to be like any other service, rock up plug in and pay by card, end of.

• Advertisement

I'll be renting a Tesla in Switzerland for a week. Any ideas what chargecards I should sign up for the more remote regions where there no Superchargers nearby? I already have a swisscharge card, should I get EVPass?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭veryangryman

The last comment was about people who are cash-only. They cant do electric cars with the current charging infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 13,725 ✭✭✭✭josip

We charged at a place in Macedonia last week. It was originally a CNG site for cars and trucks and recently added a small solar farm and charging station. Not sure if the panels feed the car charger directly. We pulled in, connected the cable and were about to fire up the app, when a guy came over, checked the cable was connected, tapped the charger with his RFI card and asked us how much we wanted? We needed a full charge anyway so we told him 'full'. When we hit 99%, he came back, stopped the charger, disconnected the charging cable and directed us to the kiosk where we could pay either by card or cash. It was all a bit surreal and it was only when we were leaving that we realised he was the regular CNG pump attendant and he was just doing his 'job' 🙂

"Cash only" people will go the same way as "no mobile phone" people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭creedp

In all fairness if you're predisposed to embracing new technology such as EVs, it's a big incongruous that you're not prepared to engage fully with what is now a very mature technology

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Check out your route on abetterrouteplanner, Switzerland is a small country and one charge should get you from end to the other I would have thought. Unless you're planning on camping in the car I doubt you'll have an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭innrain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭zg3409

Some rental services provide a card or cards. Ask on collection. What rental company?

Renting from Hertz. Yeah you're right, they should have the most common cards in the car. Thank you

thank you, I received the card today so I should be well sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

BT are considering moving into the car charging business, using existing telecoms cabinets

It looks like a tidy system they are planning and theres a pilot scheme due to start in Northern Ireland in the autumn.

Advertisement