Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DC cinematic universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Gunn never has any problem calling out news sites and stuff on Twitter when they post false stuff, but I'd say he'd be a lot more tactful about Gadot, and maybe praise her work as WW but say they've decided to recast; not throw Gadot under the bus or say that what she said wasn't true, but give her a respectful out all the same. But yeah, it'd be a risky move which could backfire. I just fail to see why Gunn would want to keep Gadot on, especially after how awful WW1984 apparently was (haven't seen it myself), and with most of the other JL actors leaving and being recast.

I really don't think she's worth retaining, and Gunn has a great eye for casting new talent. Maybe they have had brief discussions but given that Gunn has already revealed the initial slate of content for Phase 1 of the new DCU which didn't include WW3, keeping on Gadot doesn't make a lot of sense because they're going for a new younger Superman, but then keeping on Gadot who by the time a theoretical WW3 is made would have been playing the role for 10 years and likely doesn't have many more years after that.

Regardless of my own opinion of her as an actress, better to cast new Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman actors who can do the role for the next 10+ years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

The problem with the Snyderverse was never the cast, because I think they all fitted their roles well and did a good job. The problem was the scripts, direction, cgi, and poor artistic choices at a high level. You only have to look at the turnaround in public opinion on batfleck, going from one of the most hated announcements at the time to people loving him.

So in some ways it makes sense that gunn is keeping some of them, but I would say at this point it's difficult to see how he plans to stitch all this back together again.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

I stand corrected, apparently James Gunn did mention he was working with Gadot within the comments on Instagram months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Apparently David Ayer says James Gunn is going to release a directors cut of his movie, Suicide Squad (2016)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

This is interesting, if it’s anything like Snyder JL it will be great.

I thought SS was a great idea and had great promise.

I know some people think it’s not great that these things get alternative releases but I don’t see the issue. Hollywood is a mess at the best times, releasing the same sh!t in a different package. Getting better versions of existing movies is by no means the worst development. And I’m more interested in seeing the differences between what the director wanted and studio interference then I am in seeing most marvel or DC coming soon movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I thought Zack Schnyder' JUstice league was the 3rd best superhero movie I have seen. The extended version of Batman v Superman, was an improvement.

Suicide Squad was just a big mess. I've almost forgotten in thankfully. Some big evil cloud was the ending, right?

And belly dancing, let's not forget that (or, actually, can we???)

Evil cloud; are you confusing that with Green lantern?

I thought at the end you have the Witch lady turning everybody into zombies. She was waving her arms and spreading out some cloud but can’t remember what that was doing.

Makes me think of the old hoola hoop dance

oh yeah.... (shakes fist in the general direction of hollywood)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah, it was a skybeam rather than evil cloud, plus her brother became a fire monster thing.

God that entire film was awful... I'm really not sure a directors cut could salvage it.

• Advertisement

A director's cut might include loads of extra footage with Jared Leto as "stupid pimp Joker", and haven't the fans been desperately crying out for that?

With the writers strike, it’s actually the perfect time for these sort of ideas to get done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I actually didnt mind the original Suicide Squad, it wouldnt have been so bad if they had a totally different villain but a directors cut wont solve that problem. But it shows was a mess the DCEU is in. Director cuts of flops, actors being replaced then not being replaced, three different actors playing Batman at the same time.

James Gunn is not filling me with hope, just at this moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As a curio I'd be inclined towards the Ayer cut - but only purely as an intellectual thing, stopping short at wanting to watch the damn thing all over again.

Unlike Joss Whedon's Justice League, which went through extensive reshoots to fundamentally mangle the original tone & execution, AFAIK the theatrical cut of Suicide Squad remained relatively intact and was simply destroyed in the editing room. I'm sure there were some reshoots as a consequence, but I doubt anything close to what Synder's Justice League endured in comparison.

Critically the choices made with Ayer's Suicide Squad didn't work, and I severely doubt a different cut would fix those issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,508 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Before I thought Megan Fox would have done

Now maybe Elodie Yung (from the tv series Daredevil)

No way they are casting someone over 40 for a near immortal demi-goddess franchise role

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Maybe Monica Barbaro of fubar/ top gun maverick

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Or. They could just own the ageing and cast an older woman; why not? I think it'd be a good role model to not have this thing where once your 40, you're too old now go play a mum or granny.

We've had a few female versions of the "geriaction" genre; so we could have a 40-50 year old Wonder Woman, experienced but still resolute. No worries about a few greys or losing the young women's shape - that'd be part of the character.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,298 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

A fire monster that was apparently killed by an explosion. Because fires weak to fire.

• Advertisement

I did think Robin Wright was awesome in WW

Rebecca Ferugson is kick ass in MI

Happy to have an older Bats but Superman and WW are two characters who age at glacial rates, her more than him AFAIK.

It's a core element of their characters and no way you're having a contemporary franchise with actors that old.

Cavill would have had a bit more in him but I doubt anyone would start as Supes with him north of 40 either

• Registered Users Posts: 60,417 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Wonder Woman 3’ Won’t Fly in the New DC Universe, Despite Gal Gadot Teasing Development Plans

Despite recent comments from Gal Gadot claiming DC heads James Gunn and Peter Safran told her they would develop “Wonder Woman 3” together, sources with knowledge of the situation tell Variety that is not the case. According to the sources, a third “Wonder Woman” film is not in development at DC Studios nor do Gunn and Safran have plans at this time for any “Wonder Woman” project in the new DC Universe other than their previously announced “Paradise Lost” prequel series for Max.

While less shambolic than the handling of cavill, this doesn't make anyone involved look competent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭ThePott

I like Gunn but the way this stuff is being handled leaves a lot to be desired. I don't know is he he just afraid of hurting feelings or what but he needs to be direct. This makes nobody look good and only adds to the narrative that DC is still a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So is anyone here planning on going to the cinema to see Blue Beetle? Not sure why they thought a film originally planned for Max should get a theatrical release when better known DC comic adaptations didn't do well.

Maybe makes a bit more sense in the US where they can target the Latino population.

Seems to be getting a positive reaction so far.

zero interest.

Not even remotely interested: the trailer suggests a film skewing younger so that's not a good start, but nothing about the character, styling or suggested story have me even curious. The comedy bits didn't make me laugh. Quite the opposite.

Yeah I've heard the previews have come back positive - though that's nearly always the case with these comicbook premieres; bloggers gushing 'cos they got invited on a junket.

It is nice they're leaning into something more Latino oriented & that might help the film financially, but honestly? The DC cinematic universe is kinda dead to me. Just feels like a case where the Universe Will Be Rebooted Until Morale Improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I was so bored during the trailer that I came away from it thinking the guy looked Indian. Is this hero in the rebooted universe or is he one and done?

• Advertisement

Presumably the answer is: it depends. If the film does gangbusters as the Yanks say, the character will get absorbed into Gunn's new toybox. If not, it'll disappear down the memory hole so Zachary Levi & Gal Gadot have some company.

Advertisement