Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DC cinematic universe general stuff

Options

Comments

Loved him as Zsasz

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Yeah he was one of the highlights of Gotham, couldn't really get into Barry but it was great to see him land a show of that nature.

I generally trust Gunn when it comes to casting so I've no real complaints so far, but I am a bit concerned about the amount of characters in a film that's meant to establish Superman.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As I said, my own speculation is that some of these characters are gonna be sacrificial lambs ala Gunn's Suicide Squad; when you think about it, between MCU and DC there have been very few actually deaths of superheroes - and when they have occurred they're meant to be Big Dramatic Moments, some then reversed as with Superman.

There must be thousands of heroes nowadays, not to mention all the variants therein - how many will never get within an áss' roar of a movie, and might be useful storytelling devices with a creative bit of writing?

So, Guardians of the Globe-esque (Invincible) to throw the Worf effect at?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Basically, yeah that's my theory: IIRC Gunn said there wouldn't be any Origin Story for Superman with this new film, so I guess the film can get down to business, Supes' life already well established. Would be a simple way to show the power of Brainiac/Luthor/Doomsday/Darkseid if he offs a bunch of heroes, without worrying the executives too much that Gunn killed off the Flash or whatnot.

Or maybe not? Guardians of the Galaxy saw Gunn took niche characters, even niche to the Guardians' comic IIRC(?), and he kept them alive and never toyed with them too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So is Guy Gardner going to have arms since last we saw of Nathan Fillion in a Gunn DC movie, it wasn't the case. I think that movie is still canon, if Peacemaker is still going.

I think the general jist from what Gunn said is that it's a brand new universe, but like any other multiverse there will be some people playing a different version of a character they played before. So basically Gunn is giving himself an out to retain the actors he wants to, while also having his cake by casting actors he likes in new roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

If he keeps retaining actors in different roles, like what is suggested with Jason Momoa it will get very confusing. I think the multiverse is unpopular in both the mcu and dceu outside of anything spiderman related.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

i have forgotton both suicide squad movies... what was fillion doing and what happened to him?

He was TDK (The Detachable Kid) on the beach, with the first team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I am too but I have been thinking that it could really only be minutes (if even much) of an appearance. For example, they are in a fight and overpowered, but Superman shows up to save the day.

It would help show there is more heroes and villains out there but not really take up too much time.

This news from Gal Gadot made me very happy at first but then very annoyed. Is this new DCU a reboot or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Am I the only one who doesn't really like Gadot as Wonder Woman? I enjoyed her appearance in BvS and even her first film, but more so for the character and story. As an actress, I don't really enjoy her performance most of the time (in other films too).

She was a decent pick for WW in the Snyderverse, but I was hoping she'd get the boot with the reboot. But looks like Gunn is keeping Momoa and now Gadot, Miller is probably a ? not just because of their history but the terrible performance of Flash in cinemas, Ray Fisher won't be back to WB any time soon so he's out, Affleck & Keaton are both likely out (and no indication that Clooney will be back), and Cavill (the one guy everyone really hoped they'd keep) is gone.

They really should have just wiped the slate clean. Even if that meant Momoa leaving (or let him play a different character), just start again from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,500 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So much for a clean break and fresh start from the Snyderverse then.

It will just muddy the waters even more now.

WB/DC is a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,827 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Very odd decision. Either make a clean break or don't. But if you're going to retain some of the talent you've previously used, don't choose the worst actor of the lot! She's completely lacking in any sort of charisma.

She's a charisma vacuum. Her level was the FF franchise.

Cavill gets the sack and there's still potential for Miller like too???

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Now this story about Wonder Woman 3 just doesn't make any sense, because James Gunn had come out with his list of projects that was in or going into development, and Wonder Woman 3 wasn't part of that list. Another odd thing that happened in the last few days was Zack Synder posted a poster of Blue Beetle and mentioned he was going to see it with the kids.

With the Hollywood writers' strike in America continuing for a few weeks now and with no end in sight, and with fact the last few DC movies failing to hit the mark at the cinemas, I think David Zaslav or the whole board at Warner Bros Discovery (WBD) are putting pressure on Gunn to do something. Apparently David Zaslav is still good friends with Zack Synder so my guess that’s where the Blue Beetle post is coming from. Maybe WW3 is them trying to see if they can spin up some support for Blue Beetle before it hits the cinemas next week or maybe it’s something even bigger and they are trying to get the share price up before a sale!!!

With the rumours that Universal Studios was buying Warner Bros Discovery last year, and WBD has denied that's true. But there's no smoke without fire, so maybe it's true or maybe WBD are only selling DC Studios to Universal, because it was an interesting thing to do at the time, to make DC studios a separate entity to Warner Bros. Discovery. This would be great if true, imagine Christopher Nolan getting his hands on some more DC movies, even as an producer or executive producer or even better as a writer. 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭ThePott

The DC reboot already sounds a mess. If all these rumours (and comments from those involved) end up true.

• They're rebooting Superman with a new younger actor. Even though most were fairly happy with Cavill, while also having a Supergirl movie.
    • Having two Batmans one in universe and one not.
    • Animated shows and movies tieing-in.
    • Some more obscure properties being in the launch line-up when there's no Flash, Aquaman, etc. Be fine with this but dubious they can succeed.
    • Recasting of actors who were in the DCEU in new roles (Jason Momoa?)
    • Selective rebooting, Gal Gadot with a new Wonder Woman, in new continuity? Why?
    • Allowing Peacemaker cause it's his show (I love that show for the record but adds to the inconsistency of the whole thing)

It needs to be a clean break or don't bother for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

More likely ww3 has a script, of some description, therefore they're hoping the actor's strike won't last long and they can shoot some pile of crap to get something in the screens

I've grown tired of her WW, probably because Gadot is a very ... limited actor who hasn't done much beyond the DC role, the actor and character have become a bit entwined. At first it was cute but it quickly wore the welcome out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

She had a long goodbye appearing in a number of the last few DC movies. Is Robbie finished with Harley Quinn? They rebooting Supergirl too? Seem to be very slow in who is being rebooted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Registered Users Posts: 23,398 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Gadot doesnt get hired for her acting, her accent work is very dodgy.

She does however look fantastic on a poster/striking a pose.

Could and Should definitely be upgraded if the reboot is to actually improve the output.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I'm not against Gadot but would be interested in who people would suggest as a replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

The more I think about this story of Gal Gadot mentioning that she doing another Wonder Woman movie with James Gunn, the more I think Warner Bros Discovery / DC Studio are going to do the same thing they did to Henry Cavil last year (Remember when he came out last year before Black Adam saying he's back as Superman, but WBD didn't say anything). I hope I'm wrong, but why is it that Gal Gabot mentioned this WW3 movie (maybe she accidently mentioned it and shouldn't have!!!) my point is, how come James Gunn wasn't on his social media account with such big news first?!!! Now again maybe she broke some kind of embargo and that's why Gunn hasn't mentioning it. I just think it's all BS whether Gabot is in on this or not, I don't know, but seriously I don't think this movie will see the light of day........

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

To be honest after thinking about it for a bit, I'm nearly wondering if it's a move by Gadot to try make it seem like people would be excited for her to return as Wonder Woman in the hopes she can persuade Gunn to keep her in the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,500 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Reading what storyboard artist Jay Oliva has been saying about what the plans for Affleck's Batman and what the Flash trilogy would have been going forward had the Snyderverse continued it actually sounds like it would have been fun not saying they would have worked however they do sound like they would be fun to watch.

Batman

The Flash

I think it's more a case of Gal calling their bluff. If Gunn and Safran really did give her some wishy washy non committal that they wanted her involved, then she has every right to talk about it until Gunn publicly denies it.

Since the beginning of the DCU being announced, it was clear Gunn was trying to please everyone. If you play that game it's bound to bite you in the ass at some point, and I can respect Gal for not letting it go. Affleck did the same thing, only he rejected Gunn's claims outright that he wanted him involved as well.

I'm a fan of Gunn and just watched GotG3, which I found to be very good, but I haven't been convinced so far in his role as a studio head.

I love Gadot as Wonder Women.

If it had been up to me I would have built the reboot around her and Cavill. However a total reboot is necessary and I cannot for the life of me figure out what Gunn is thinking.

He is keeping John Cena and his Peacemaker cast, keeping the same Waller, Blue Beetle is canon then it isn’t, he is keeping Momoa, he keeping Gadot.

Yet, Superman and company are all being recast. Cavill like. He loves playing the part.

I can’t think of anyone to be honest, but I’m sure there is many actresses out there.

• Advertisement

That would be a risky thing to do.

If Gunn came out saying it wasn’t true she would look like a fool.

Advertisement