Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City - anti social behaviour etc... what's being done?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Ozvaldo

As I said nowhere to park .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Turn on Neil or 96fm and you will thinking the city centre is south central in the 90s, its not great but the reality is its not that bad. I'm living in the centre 15 years I've never really had any hassle, raised kids there. A lot could be done, their is a visible heroin and homeless problem but its not exclusive to Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ah, don't be gaslighting people 🤣

What would people who actually live in the city centre know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭notAMember

Sounds like the boiling frog.

Or maybe we just have different standards of acceptable.

Just a bit of ould heroin is it? The odd beheading. No bother, carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭rebs23

The City Centre has deteriorated in terms of Anti Social behavior because the Gardai do not patrol in the way they used to, do not deal with drinking on the street and there are too many facilities to accommodate chronic heroin addicts in the city centre which in turn facilitates drug dealers and others that exploit heroin addicts. This concentration of services in turn creates the atmosphere for some extreme violence and anti social behavior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭sporina

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Sure we have one poster on here for years telling anyone expressing concern for the state of the city that they're overreacting precious petals, yet also recently calling for the Gardai to go in cracking heads at peaceful protests simply because they have a different view to them on a topic.

Could you quote where a poster called for An Gardaí to go in cracking heads at a peaceful protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Let's look at the positives. We have no active gangland feuds in Cork. There's no need for armed gardai to be patrolling parts of the city 24/7. Of course while Cork may not be as nice as it once was, it's still safer than most other cities imo.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Which protest is this, because i sure wouldn't consider what's happening to the staff at the library to be a peaceful protest.

• Advertisement

But don't you know that, irrespective of what you are doing, as long as you keep repeating the words "peaceful protest", then it is a peaceful protest?

There is precedent for this.

what has the Library's protest got to do with this thread? genuine Q

Because as per the thread title it's a form of anti social behaviour.

i think that the library situation is a separate discussion though tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

If you're referring to the group of scum carrying out a campaign of harrasment against libraries and pharmacists then they are not peaceful protesters.

I'm not so sure.

Anti social behaviour is anti social behaviour whether it is committed by marginalised people with psychological and/or substance abuse problems or by your neighbour, colleague or relative.

The topic of the library protests themselves, and whether they are good, bad, or indifferent, is indeed a separate discussion. The point is that you have posters here who will call for people involved in peaceful protests that they don't like (distasteful they may be, violent they are not) to be subject to strong Garda action, while dismissing wholesale the city's slide into degeneracy and violence as the fevered imaginings of a few pearl clutchers and that people who are concerned at scumbags and junkies running amok should toughen up a little. We see similar in political discourse with the violent actions of scumbags being excused by the classic "dey have no facilideez" and many variants thereof - just witness the political reaction to the savage assault on that American chap in Dublin. Such minimizing, excusing, and tolerance of real, violent, antisocial behaviour in the city on a daily basis is one of the roots of the current situation where families are abandoning the city centre wholesale because they simply don't feel safe. If some bunch of loons want to put up a banner about Topic X, or chant the Hail Mary or Hare Krishna or whatever I couldn't give a hoot - they're not going to crack me over the head with a bottle for a laugh. The roving gang of teenage scumbags robbing and committing assaults - I think I have a lot more to worry about from them TBH. I know where I'd prefer to see scarce Garda resources targeted.

Obstruction of public services, intimidation and hurling vile accusations at workers is NOT peaceful.

Again, the level of misrepresentation of what posters actually sat on this thread is high.

What was said :

Gardaí are way too hands off with these people, imo.

What was claimed :

... recently calling for the Gardai to go in cracking heads at peaceful protests simply because they have a different view to them on a topic.

And then a more moderate misrepresentation :

you have posters here who will call for people involved in peaceful protests that they don't like (distasteful they may be, violent they are not) to be subject to strong Garda action,

There really is no point trying to have a reasonable discussion with people this disingenuous and Big P isn't alone in having this habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Yeah I've been reading and have had very polite disagreements with a few posters on here but don't really see the point in responding to heavy hyperbole or disingenuous concern trolling.

I think it's fairly revolting sporina... don't know what to tell you. It's similar to the other story about someone offering a blowjob on the street for cash. I've lived around the world with work, places much more violent than Cork, but I didn't have children then. I moved back to Cork as it was safer for families, but it's not someplace I want them to grow up anymore. Not when teenagers are attacked and beaten unconscious on the street unprovoked, not when their bikes are robbed.

You're always going to have a group of people who think that's ok or even funny because it doesn't happen to them, and are not bothered by it. I don't share that opinion. Cork city is my family home for generations, and I'm disappointed I can't be proud of it at the moment. I'm lucky enough to have a job where I am mobile, I moved to a nicer city for now. Maybe in a few years things will turn around. Sometimes it takes a big crisis to drive change.

• Advertisement

TBH the impression I get (from fora in general, not just this one, and not only recently) is that many of those who play down just how much the Irish 'system' is facilitating a spiralling decline in public safety in its towns and cities ("LOL some people are scared of teens in hoodies", "sure, you'd get the same in downtown Mogadishu", etc) don't have kids. I guess it makes a difference in perception.

Another tourist attacked and apparently knocked out in Dublin last night - but hey, maybe the perps are 'disadvantaged' with 'addiction issues', sure God love them.....

I think they are totally separate discussions as the cause, solutions and consequences of both problems are totally different.

They are still both anti social behaviour and both effect the feel of the city.

You have made your point but you don't get to decide what is on or off topic any more than I do. Just because you are the OP, doesn't mean you get to dictate what is discussed. Stop trying to moderate.

i'm talking about drugs and alcohol.. and prob mental health issues.. etc.. not prejudiceness

was walking home from the city today and there was a guy on Shandon Street having a drug induced seizure... lots of his "mates" around him.. ambulance and garda car present.. its deplorable.. for everyone concerned.

but the begging and drug using on Shandon St is relatively new.. just shows its spreading..

I am talking about drugs here - not the library situation.. it is separate - mods.. please act

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Problematic drug use: a failure of our State's drug policy as well as a manifestation of failed social policy.

Homelessness: Well, we know how the State has failed again to provide a basic right as a viable/affordable home to live in, a prerequisite for security, when the housing market is dysfunctional.

Violent young people: Again, a failure of the above, a failing mental health service, and a not fit for purpose criminal law policy perhaps. I know the problem is more complex that that...

And we see the consequences on the streets: troubling as they are to the beholder, but also worse for the victims of all this themselves, and obviously a perceived AND real threat to citizens in the city.

Something has clearly gone very wrong.

I think we can agree or disagree on plenty of those points, as those are politics. I don't think it's the state's responsibility to provide houses for every human in the country. That's a fast route to bankruptcy and even worse social problems in my opinion. No-one should have a "right" to be housed imho. You should ideally be enabled to get yourself educated, become a productive member of society and sort out your own accommodation.

Locally, Cork city council should have a very defined remit on what it does, and be competent at those

Should be operational work first of all, because that is most important , keep the place ticking over.

• Monitoring and maintaining existing city assets and infrastructure - parks, city hall, museums etc
    • Monitoring the companies / state bodies who maintain the infrastructure we need in the city. Water, waste facilities, gas, electricity, internet, roads, rail, airport , yadda yadda.
    • Monitoring and improving effectivity of services like cleaning, lighting, waste disposal services, policing services, public transport.
    • Community (event planning)

And capital projects to make improvements, or lifecycle the existing facilities.

• Providing basic public facilities like toilets and drinking water fountains
    • Upgrading or providing new parks, event centers etc
    • Giving input for roadmaps for future public transport routes
    • etc.

When it's wrapped up in housing lists, providing social and healthcare services for drug users, parking enforcement, then nothing else can be done with the people they have available. Messes like that suck all the oxygen out of the room. Those should be outsourced, or tackled by the state services with some decent funding and expertise, not locally, imho.

my gosh - the city is getting worse by the day...

this week alone, I hav witnessed 3 overdoses/3 ambulance call outs.. cops too.. and thats just while out for lunch during the day...

seems the powers at be don't give a dam..

the unsavoury activity outside Debenhams is unreal..

bad state of affairs..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

McVerry talks sense here. State policy on drugs (particularly heroin) has failed.

The spill over from drug addiction to crime, and hence Garda resources, is a direct consequence of this failed policy. We need a health-driven approach to drug use, and IMHO that includes provision of safe drugs to registered addicts.

This problem will only get worse as novel synthetics like fentanyl come into the supply chain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Jizique

Is that not what they are doing with methadone?

Advertisement