Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2023 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Dublin win an all ireland and all the discussion is dragged to discuss Clifford who had a relatively poor game by his standards. It’s so stupid to even hint that he is the greatest of all time, that’s not to say he won’t be, but why is this dominating discussion?

I think it’s simply because the really bitter ABDs aren’t getting much traction on trying to point out all the negative things they want to discuss about Dublin and their win and they are just doing whatever they can to spoil the thread.

Dublin fans booing, red card for McCarthy and the ref favouring Dublin, would ye f**k off wit that bitter sh*te. You are more miserable then the booing fans you profess to be disgusted with.

Every f**king year, some of you are obsessed with bringing down any Dublin achievement. Some of its disguised as Dublin did well BUT…

You won’t Find me a champion of an all ireland who weren’t proficient at the dark arts and off field antics, yet the way some of you go on Dublin invented it. You clearly didn’t watch how northern teams beat their way into the top stage over the past 30 years with some of the most physical football in the game.

It was like the miserable annoying northy “Kerry fans” behind me. Wouldn’t shut up about the ref until he let Kerry go with things. Talking about how a meath man would for some reason favour Dublin. If a cork ref worked in kerry , would kerry fans accept that narrative? Not a chance.

I don’t get involved in these sort of discussions because it’s pointless really. But this Dublin squad and some players have achieved things never done before and shown unbelievable character to drag themselves back to the top of the sport. Shame on some of you who can only discuss what’s wrong about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,407 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Did you see David Clifford at minor level? Probably the best minor in the history of the game (when it used to be just u18). Ciaran Kilkenny probably ran him close - both lads played a few years under minor level, starting very young. Both lads composed, skilful, strong beyond their years.

That is where the hype started - just because David Clifford did not have worldy game in the final does not suddenly overrated. He would walk into any intercounty team in the country.

Personally I did not enjoy David Cliffords misses, but the main cause of those misses - Mick Fitzsimons. It was probably the best I have seen from a Dublin defender since Cian O'Sullivan in his pomp. He was that good.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭thesultan

That's like not ratings Conor McManus because he never won an All Ireland.

Dublin won because they had a small bit better team performance. Both had five scorers from play which while watching I would have thought Dublin had more of a spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭robbiezero

He got man of the match last year because he played outstandingly well and was easily kerrys best player. Walsh was brilliant too, possibly shaded it, but man of the match usually goes to the winners unless its an absolute stand out and it happened in this case too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

It's not his fault at all! Nobody says it is?? It's shite for him that he will be judged so harshly going forward but that's what happens when loads say you are the greatest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Like it is way too early to have a Goat discussion, and to be honest who gives a ****. The lad is a great footballer who would get a game for any team in the country with years of playing left. Everyone agrees on that.

Great game to be at yesterday, was wrecked afterwards! What top level sport is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

If his rating is GOAT, then he is currently overrated.

He scored two points from play yesterday..he wasn't held scoreless. He was double teamed. I don't remember Fitzsimmons on the ball at all and was totally starved of it in the first half .

You clearly haven't watched football when you say he hasn't performed on the big day.

Its great for him. He is having a marvellous career and seems to be enjoying it apart from yesterday. Who wouldnt want to be talked as the top player in the country.

Too soon for GOAT, but he is on the way to it, but who knows, his form might fall away too.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Goodigal

Was only thinking that about Cooper yesterday. What a player. He destroyed Dublin on numerous occasions (and many other teams!) and he must be wondering why he's not in the GOAT conversation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭eggy81

He’s not the greatest of all time by any metric yet. He’s probably the most talented footballer to emerge in a long time. And is currently the best player in the country you could argue. A bit to go to be the goat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

If buts mights and maybes!!! I my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle.

Good post. Clifford nonsense is tiresome at this stage.

Dublin were super yesterday. Coming down the stretch in the last quarter they won 7-2. Compsure, leadership, class, exerting huge pressure on the opposition. There has never been a team like them and in that death zone of the last 10 minutes of a close AI final, they are at their best.

The greatest team of all time was never going to go gently into the night and that one will be one of the sweetest for them.

Level 1 minute into injury time, clifford missing a sitter under no pressure to take it to extra time. Honestly some posters are just clueless. There was nothing easy about that win yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭DubCount

Clifford is an excellent footballer and one of the best forwards in the game at the moment. All this talk of the GOAT should not be even in the conversation. Is he better than Pat Spillane, Gooch, Conor McManus or any number of other wonderful players who have lit up games with outstanding performances - who knows and who cares. Football is a team sport and any single player is only part of the collective. Clifford benefits from a good team around him who deliver ball to him etc.? Would he be the GOAT if he played for Waterford?

On the day, Dublin edged it. 2 excellent teams, but one who could find a way to just have their nose in front at the final whistle.

Clifford and Kerry will collect more All Irelands in the years to come, and then some new stars will come along, and they will be talked about as the GOAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,068 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

One player who not getting enough credit from yesterday is Brian Howard. Did little wrong and was there all time.

Will many of the dub players walk after yesterday?

Claxton is superb. Walking out to team.mates telling them to cop out after gloating fellas. Fencing glides around the field, so effortless. What height is he?

Mannion massive plus to the team.with Rock on the last legs and him back his experience stood to the team while a newbie could have been overawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Clifford is the best player I've ever seen anyway.

Saying he is not as good as Gooch, Spillane, McManus (seriously??) as if none of them players ever had an off day.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I never said I didn't rate Clifford or Conor McManus or Cillian O'Connor or Shane Walsh. However, I would have none of them in a GOAT conversation, that is a different level and none of them are on that.

The only wild opinion is that he is the GOAT or the best player that some have seen (unless they have seen very little football).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I got one at 3.10pm yesterday at the Clonliffe Road/Drumcondra junction. Asked a Garda did he know anyone selling and he pointed me to two different people (not touts).

Rain kept most of the casual supporters away I think.

Not the first time I got a ticket an hour before a match. There's always someone missing for some reason and €80 is nice bit of money to forego. No minor match helps as well.

From the 50th minute onwards there was only going to be one winner. The Kerry supporters in front of me who had been giving it loads quietened down very very quickly. They could see it. Fenton took control of the game, as a GOAT contender should do.

This Dublin team stands head and shoulders above all others. 9 titles in 13 years, it will never be surpassed. Anyone who was there yesterday will be telling their grandchildren about Cluxton, Fenton, McCarthy and Fitzsimons.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,281 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If people said he was currently the best forward in the country I wouldn't bat an eyelid, they would be right.

But the greatest player ever seen, that is just rubbish.

As an aside I don't think it helps that there is a real dearth of top level players around at the minute, there isn't really anybody else playing at the minute who can stake a claim to be better than Clifford. Walsh is too inconsistent, McShane disappeared, Con O Callaghan playing really poor, Murphy is gone, McManus in the twilight of his career. It says a lot that McGuigan and Basquel are the top scorers, neither of them exactly top class players. Hopefully the 2 Canavans and a few others can step up and make it a conversation.

To compare just look at the 2000's. Off the top of my head, back then you had Canavan, O Neill, Mulligan, Sean Cavanagh, McGuigan, Paddy Bradley, Enda Muldoon, Gooch, Donaghy, Galvin, O Sullivan, Declan Browne, Matty Forde, Stevie McDonnell, McConville, Ronan Clarke, Sean Cavanagh, Brogan. Thats just the forward line and most of them all playing in and around the same time. Bloody stacked, the quality today just isn't the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

No other team in history has been handed the advantages they've got.

An * beside those 9 titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭DubCount

Every player will have off days. Greatness is consistently delivering when it matters. Mikey Sheehy and Colm Cooper have scored goals in 4 different all Ireland finals. Mikey Sheehy scored 2-6 in a single All Ireland final (as did Jimmy Keaveny). He is just the latest, and we are conditioned to think the latest great player is the best. At the moment, he is the best around, but he has a bit go to overshadow all the greats that have played the game - even just the Kerry greats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Morgans

I remember Martin McHugh saying Gooch was a one-trick pony but James O'Donoghue was the greatest forward he ever seen. I've no doubt that Clifford is in a different league but lads really need to steady on. Within the last week, we have seen continued pronoucements that TJ Reid is the greatest hurler of all time, that David Clifford is the greatest footballer, that James Mccarthy was the greatest Dublin player ever and that Stephen Cluxton is the man who changed football more than anyone ever.

Guess its a world of headlines these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭C__MC

On a side note, are we looking at a monopoly of dublin kerry all irelands for this decade ahead? Tyrone done well in 21 to get Sam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Floppybits

You are dead right, the media are 100% to blame for this. Clifford is a great player, didn't have his best day yesterday and maybe that was down to the weather, Mick Fitz and the Dublin having a plan to contain him but it doesn't take anything away from him as a player. I wish the media would just stop hyping the poor lad and let him play his football. There should be no GOAT talk about a player who is 24, it is just ridiculous when he had many years ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Morgans

I dont think either team are that far ahead of the pack. Both teams seem to need find a handful of players (especially if all the Dub players who suggest retirement do the deed).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

The Bomber Liston scored 3-2 in 1978 final. Jack O'Shea scored 1-3 from midfield in another final.

Advertisement