Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

******* Motors Chat Thread *******

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭User1998

Could be way off but doesn’t it mean alternative route or something like that?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Yeah, they’re signposting pre-made alternate routes.

If there’s a crash or whatever on a heavily used road they can close it off completely & following the ‘circle’ or ‘triangle’ or ‘whatever’ signposts will automatically detour you around said closure.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 635 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Should be able to push that back out the way it came with a few careful taps from a lump hammer.....

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You’d really have to be looking for that to see it, I’d run it through and see what it fails on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭coolbeans

They're nice alright. The 2 Series Grancoupe or whatever they call them has got to be one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭coolbeans

The four door is a true minger. They've also got these comically huge wheel arches and small wheels. I'd be mortified going around in one. The Coupe on the other hand is probably the only current BMW I'd actually like to own. They lost me after the F10 in reality.

Sat in the new coupe last year and it was a nice place to be. Didn’t get to drive it though. OH has a 2014 220D and it’s a great car. Would definitely like to upgrade to the new model.

This may be a stupid question but I’ll ask anyway. Can you buy a suspension unit (spring and damper) already assembled from motor factors?

Dampers are gone on my MK2 Golf and unfortunately it’s a McPherson setup on the rear, I’d hoped it was the older type. If they can be bought ready assembled it will be a bolt out-bolt in job I can do myself otherwise I’ll have to get my garage to do it.

TIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,338 ✭✭✭jmreire

You would be surprised. I once saw a 4x4, with an armored body where a bullet found an unarmored section in the back door, penetrated it, ricochet around, exited the bottom of the door, through the lower panel, and into the petrol tank. The driver brought it in complaining of a strong smell of petrol. We found the bullet in the tank. Even so, that guy with the mortar round embedded, was as they say " Lucky in the extreme!"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,338 ✭✭✭jmreire

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Depends on the car but in cars I owned(light weight 90's Jap) the rear spring wasn't tight so you could push down on it with you hands and tighten or loosen the nut to take off or put on a spring. So not like the front where they were under massive pressure and shoot off when you undo the nut.

That’s interesting. Since I won’t be disassembling the old units I may not need spring compressors to fit the new ones then. So even if it doesn’t come assembled I might be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

^^ I've done once rear shocks + springs assembly (E11 Corolla) using ratchet straps. Tricky, but possible. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,681 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

If you are taking apart shocks, use spring clamps!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭zg3409

There is one first Sunday every month all year round. Very busy usually parking is crazy. IDA business park, southern cross road bray. All range of cars from 231 lambos to classics. Not as busy as Dundalk meet but Dundalk is massive.

It's not unofficial. The guy who used to run it dropped out and another guy runs it. Advertised on Facebook and Instagram. 10am-1pm.

Irish car shows and meet ups Facebook group is best place to find events. Typically 30 events on every summer weekend nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 colml cule

I've seen a few cars around advertised (specifically Kia Ceed) with the tag "ex sam". Does anyone know what this means? I thought it was a trim level but can't find anything to confirm or deny this.

And does anyone have any opinions on Kia Ceed/Optima in general? I am specifically looking at estate version, they seem to be reasonably priced and relatively stylish. Would they be reliable?

A 7 year warranty stands out as a plus too.

Anyone else have problems with DoneDeal the past while. Getting errors and sometimes when you pick a make the model is blanked out and refreshing the page does nothing so you have to click on cars again and start from the beginning. Really annoying. It used to work perfectly for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭zg3409

• Advertisement

This guy has been doing top notch tool restorations on YouTube for years with stereotypical Swiss precision. He’s turned his attention to a 240Z now. Should be a great series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

I haven't a photo but does anyone know what's the deal with these registration plates where the numbers and letters look almost furry like they're felt or something?

I haven't come across those yet myself. Shame you don't have a picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭User1998

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Ah yes, 4D is what I saw I think. What's the idea, - cameras? Or is it just something else to spend your money on? It looks nothing special to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

People asking directions for another town regularly

I've no issue with doing it but they mustn't be able to use Google maps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

got a gen 7 celica the other week.

Had one before the young lad came along , and the last year or so ive had an itch to get one again!!

not that practical but i think they are really fun to drive and handle well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

From RTE News - the Golf is referred to as a "GTI" - it's not, while the Superb is referred to as S-Line, which is an Audi trim level. Strange mistakes to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

Trying to get any work done on cars outside isn’t much fun these days. Regular scrambles to gather tools in from the latest downpour is extremely disruptive and causes me to utter lots of rude words. In the US of A I’d be called a "shade tree mechanic". Chance would be a fine thing.

I like to keep my tools organised but can lapse somewhat as the job goes on. Then I end up wasting time looking for that damned 17mm socket that I was using only 5 minutes ago. I went looking for a budget clutch alignment tool that I bought about a month ago. I had put it somewhere really sensible and couldn’t find it when I needed it. I searched for it but no luck. The job was stopped, so what to do? I did something I would never normally do, I went and bought another one, to my shame. It cost €19.

I had a pair of the cheap and nasty plastic alignment tools, neither of which was capable of generating enough friction on the inner splines of the clutch disc to hold it in place when it was offered up to the flywheel. So I reluctantly parted with another €19 so that I could get the effin’ gearbox off the driveway and back where it belonged. Needless to say, the first alignment tool which I had bought then presented itself to me within half an hour of returning home with the second one! Then, as it turned out, it didn’t fit the flywheel on my car, even though it fits many others (I wasn’t able to determine its suitability before buying it, unfortunately).

Which is all a rather long winded way of saying that I now have two brand new clutch alignment tools. I'll keep one, for possible use on another car. I suppose I could try flogging the other one on adverts for €10, which might take weeks. Alternatively, I could let somebody else benefit from my disorganisation by giving it away here. I’m based in West Dublin, send me a PM and its yours. Of course, you’ll have to collect it. And if you have read this far, well you deserve a freebie!

BTW, the tool can be seen here:

https://ige.ie/universal-clutch-aligning-tool-set-17-piece-clutch-alignment-tool-1745

And this guy explains its use in two short videos here (different brand but identical tool):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvY4hnOk97o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFqPeQ3_ucE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

The RX8 is in for Rust work being done. Properly. At least to try get it to 20 years old. All the damage to the paint being done. Obvious weld patches are a red-rag to a bull in the NCT centre.

Even though the last time, it passed without a single comment.

"It actually passed?"

"we can test it again if you want?"

Advertisement