Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

******* Motors Chat Thread *******

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Why don't you start a cheaper parts service based in Ireland with parts in stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭User1998

Ah once you visit your local motor factors a couple of times you’ll get trade prices not a bother. I don’t pass it onto anyone as I’m not a mechanic

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Wow, typical. Im being the bad guy for ranting about price gouging? I don't mind being the bad guy. Like I said earlier, I understand and fully support earning in business, but asking additional mark up on already high mark up? No thank You.

In that case I misunderstood your previous post, my mistake. Still would love to reclaim the VAT.

The locals around my area still even if I include that so called trade price are more expensive.

Lets end it here, im gonna be on my side and You on Yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭User1998

Not arguing with you at all, like yesterday a suit shop was trying to charge me €140 for a pair of shoes and a tie, so I just went online and bought similar items from an EU store for €40. Will take a week or so to get here, quality good could be better or worse, sizing could be wrong etc. but I was willing to take a risk. In the case of car parts I usually just want a quick turn around and good customer service if something goes wrong which is why I shop local in that scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

The first part it was answer to other one.

It just bothers me that in many places You will see the same thing over and over again. People complain yet do nothing to change anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Bizi

I just found this drive of the John Dodd Rolls-Royce Merlin 27L car, in The Late Brake Show.

https://youtu.be/QFdhCZ517gU

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

An unsurprising number of drivers with windows covered in snow this morning.

I even met one with only a third of the windscreen clear with the rest of the covered in 100mm of snow.

I had a set of Dunlop Winter 5s on a front wheel car and the grip was fantastic, highly recommended for anyone who lives in an area frequented by snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Since I bought a house in the middle of nowhere I have a set of wheels with winter tyres on them. Quick swap late autumn (and back mid-spring) and I'm sorted. 8-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I see traffic cones appearing a lot more in small towns

Businesses using them to keep the fronts free and homeowners using them to reserve a space

One particular homeowner puts them too far out from the kerb and traffic sometimes has to stop and indicate.

Surely he's open to claims if someone ploughs into the kerbs or there's an accident

• Registered Users Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just chancing their arm.

You are not allowed to place obstructions on a public roadway.

If there was a claim their insurance company wouldn't pay out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭zg3409

Prices at motor factors are negotiable. They can often apply a discount or round off the total to an even number. Motor mechanics often add an additional fee before they itemise the parts on the customer bill. So labour on car repair is not their only income, a markup on parts is also an income.

In terms of speed they can often get parts not in stock same day afternoon or next day, They often have access to a massive range of suppliers and multiple brands for pricing such as 4 or 5 different aftermarket clutches. They also have much better knowledge and advice than say Halfords or online stores. They even often fit batteries and the like for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

He’s at it again! New vid from Mad4motors.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭passatman86

Watched most of the Mad4motors videos - good content

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'm only a few minutes into the video and have to say it's a lot cleaner than I thought it was by the thumbnail on the YouTube video. It has hardly any rust. I had one of those civics also a 1.3 as my first car. I used to love how the boot and window were split in two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,668 ✭✭✭corks finest

I'll give ye an example

Stop/ start 12v battery bought week

One v good battery charge e289

Motorway accessories cork

I gasped and said I'll have to look around .

Went to premier and got same spec battery ( different but vg make ( platinum)

e159

I'm on the Suzuki forums and did my homework,and actually for a change ROI price is significantly cheaper than the UK one I've been told by a moderator on the Suzuki Ignis hybrid forum.

Both motorway and Premier are local good businesses,and should be supported but on this occasion I suspected gouging,

I know where I'll choose to go in future

• Registered Users Posts: 8,668 ✭✭✭corks finest

I'll give ye an example

Stop/ start 12v battery bought last week

One v good battery charge e289

Motorway accessories cork

I gasped and said I'll have to look around .

Went to premier and got same spec battery ( different but vg make ( platinum)

e159

I'm on the Suzuki forums and did my homework,and actually for a change ROI price is significantly cheaper than the UK one I've been told by a moderator on the Suzuki Ignis hybrid forum.

Both motorway and Premier are local good businesses,and should be supported but on this occasion I suspected gouging,

I know where I'll choose to go in future

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Banjo Carney

Was the more expensive battery AGM by any chance

I was over at my mothers house and she wasn't there but arrived back and told me someone driving a jeep out of SuperValu just sat at the entrance and she had to wait till they eventually drove out. Which I told her happens me all the time at junctions or roundabouts. If there is nothing coming or a gap go, what the hell are they sitting there waiting for an invitation to pull out. It's even worse on a busy road and they don't go at the gap and then a tonne of cars drive by so you are just sitting there waiting. I was in Galway today and it actually happened me a few times today. Some woman just sat at the roundabout I was thinking about overtaking her but a car was coming the opposite way. Then on the drive home at a T junction again the car in front sat while nothing was coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Not much you can do in these situations.

Some people are very nervous tentative drivers and that's just the way of the world.

Getting upset or frustrated could lead to you making a rash decision and ending up in trouble.

I just count to ten or switch on Lyric FM. 🙂

I just noticed they got rid of the Buying and Selling forum. I suppose the traffic was low so no point in having multiple forums.

• Advertisement

FYI. Re-org thread here: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058272740/revamping-the-motors-forum-your-input-needed#latest

I suggested it a few months ago, thankfully the Mods and posters backed it. It just took a long time to get done but I’m delighted that it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 650 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

And as usual expect people to complain but yet didn't put a single once of feedback in said thread. 😀

The sub forums were dead as dodos.

Maybe we could update the tag line from the current ‘What you drive, and what you want to drive’ to include DIY, detailing and learning to drive somehow to encourage people to keep posting those kinds of threads?

I was on a back road today. One for just about two cars without any lines. I was doing about 100km/h and wasn't slowing down to go around the corner, any way the car started beeping like mad and pressed the brake got around the corner and there was a tractor in the middle of the road while pulling out so slammed the brakes fully. With the time of year with all the growth you cannot see around the bend. That radar is good and can obviously distinguish between a ditch and a vehicle. As I said I never seen the tractor but the radar obviously could see the danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭passatman86

2021 Dacia Sandero eco-g.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Anyone else heading to C&C in Dundalk on Sunday morning?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 650 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Is there an unofficial C&C in Bray tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

I see these signs all over the place and also with similar triangles and squares instead of the circle. Does anyone here know what they mean? I remember reading about them when they were introduced (must be a good few years ago at this stage) at considerable expense, and the fact that most motorists didn't know what they signified, and I've even now forgotten myself.

Advertisement