Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

******* Motors Chat Thread *******

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

i know would cause massive problems, but thats what we are being told to do but all depends if you dont mind waiting 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Lofidelity

Those new BMW 2 series m sport coupes look well. Not the gran coupe, the 2 door. It reminds me of the E36 and E46 with that boxy 2 door saloon shape. Nice to see a new coupe when cars like the TT and Scirocco are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Has anyone else been watching Richard Hammond’s Workshop? (Yes, that’s how I spend my Friday evenings at this stage of my life!)

I thought it would be rubbish but it’s actually quite good. Yes, it’s more fiction than reality TV but it is nice to see some motoring related entertainment. He comes across as a decent bloke and has put his money where his mouth is whicj has to be admired.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Thinking about selling my car and picking up a Porsche 911 GT4 RS.

Maybe in my dreams. Very quiet around here these days thought I try to add a bit of drama to the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I've been busy tinkering with the Fiesta.

Looking around for someone to map it after I fit a new turbo, tried Joe Power but the man seems allergic to responding to any form of communication. Will possibly go with Dalton's, or Westward if Martin does dyno tuning these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

I remember reading a post about new N roads crossing minor roads

The amount of accidents in some busy sections is mad

Funny you should say that. On the Claremorris bypass they are building a bridge to cross the road as some dumb ass drove out in front of a truck or something and was killed. I was at that junction many times over the years and it was perfectly safe. Straight stretch both sides as you pull out so it is bad drivers at fault.

Then on same road a couple of miles down the road in Ballindine(village) there used to be two ways you could drive onto the main road but they changed the layout as some dumb ass also drove out in front of someone coming up the road. Again driver error but who ever is running the country think it was bad junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

My sister and other drivers who were driving the U17 girls team back from a Connacht final they won were all pulled over by the gardaí for no seat belts on as they were celebrating by hanging out the cars windows with flags and beeping going through the town. The drivers got fined and penalty points. Seems crazy. They got penalty points for each child in the car. Seems excessive. Some poor unfortunate had 6 points already on his licence and had 6 kids in his car so he is now banned. Seems to me like the garda were on power trips. I have seen countless teams celebrating over the years. Plus it was in the town so not driving fast while it was happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

I had to try a few times to get hold of him as well back when I had the car done off him.

Very happy with the work from him, was able to narrow down a problem I was having with a 320d that another tuner couldn't explain and I believe wasn't bothered to investigate why. No offense when I say this but I think he needs to advertise more or be a bit more active on FB ect regarding the work he does and prices. It would weed out those who probably hockey his phone out of it looking for maps only to be surprised at the price when they can get it done elsewhere by some lad with a laptop and a generic one for all maps. In saying that I didn't find him that expensive tbh.

Is your fiesta an ST ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

If he'd actually answer any form of contact I'd be booked in with him already, the fact he can't even respond to anything puts me off him, which is a pity.

Turns out trying to find someone to map it, that is actually good, is tricky. I may end up bringing it to England yet.

Tis an ST

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Larid or pumaspeed are the go to over there. Larid is in Scotland I believe and has a dyno.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that other thread about the M50 toll and problems with eflow reminded me of something that happened my father a few years back; he was notified of an unpaid toll and rang them about it; it was for a date he had indeed crossed the westlink in my mother's car, but had paid for it. they confirmed he had paid for a crossing, but that he had crossed a second time on that day and not paid for the second one; which he denied outright, but they were insistent.

he then pointed out that the two crossings were both in the same direction, but less than five minutes apart (with no crossing in the opposite direction within an hour of them).

'so?'

'how could i drive northbound over the bridge, leave the M50, and drive all the way back to the blanchardstown junction without crossing over the westlink, and get back on the M50 to cross a second time, northbound, in the space of five minutes?'

'uh... i'll get this cancelled for you, sir'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭User1998

I’ve been fined by Eflow because my car was on the back of a tow truck😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

My car has been off the road since Covid struck. It's 20 years old now. What insurance companies will give me classic at 2003? I thought FBD might, as I am a long time customer, but no.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Most will insist you have a 25/30 year old classic to take the policy then ypu can add newer cars to it

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Bizi

That would make a great racetrack safety car! Excellent background story (though those interested in it would know the story well).

Imagine this on the road with a driver who's near 90!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Bizi

I think, as a small child, looking at the photos at the bottom of the pictures here, that John Dodd's original Merlin-engined car was in the Guinness Book of Records as the car with the world's largest, most powerful engine! It was that black, Capri-shape fastback.

i read somewhere that at full speed, fuel consumption was 50.3 gallons per hour; assuming that's petrol, that's €6 of petrol per minute, at full tilt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Quick rant....

Why the parts here have to be soo bloody expensive? Need a new clutch+dmf, just for parts get quotes of 600€+,checking online yelds similar results. Decide to check big EU shop, same parts 200€ less...

End of rant

Because your cutting out 2 or 3 middlemen by purchasing from big EU warehouses. And shipping costs are usually expensive from those EU sites

I understand that everyone want to earn money but cmon, +20% sale margin? That's robbery in daylight.

Free shipping BTW, only minor minus up to 5 days delivery.

You think a 20% mark up is robbery? Other products/industries can have 100% mark ups.

You mean 1000%+ and so on?

I understand that in here we have the prices dictated due small market, but if the part is available easily for a lower price with more or less mark up of around 100% adding that additional 20%, yes in my mind is a pure greed and robbery. It's nothing more than using Your position to gouge the average market price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭zg3409

You are lucky the internet exists. Vote with your feet...

Its not ‘easily available’ for a lower price tho. A motor factors here will offer free delivery and returns, and have the part immediately or within 2 hours.

EU car part websites can take weeks to deliver and usually have expensive delivery.

The good thing about being in the EU is that it is a free market, so you can shop where you like. I will continue to use my local motors for the convenience and customer service.

Its on main page of google results, hardly can call it "not easily available", and again, free delivery and return. Which is a typical business offer in current day and age.

If You prefer to pay 20% more for parts for convenience and customer service, fine be me.

Shame that most of people dont do that, they just get the bill from garage, swallow the pill and complain about the price without doing anything.

I get trade price on all my parts and can reclaim the 23% VAT. I need a quick turnaround on my cars which is why I buy local. If I had the time I would order online. My point was that 20% markup isn’t outrageous for the time/convenience factor.

• Advertisement

How many people can get trade prices and claim VAT? The price is fine for You as You can easily pass it on further down the line.

Advertisement