Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Written Examiners, 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

You pay full tax on the advance now, it means the tax free elements are all in the second payment (expenses) so that payment will be higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

40% tax = 240

4% PRSI = 24

USC depends, typically 4.5% = 27

The typical marginal tax rate in Ireland for workers over 40k is 48.5%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Yeah, basically add it, estimate your earnings and then it'll split your usc. Unless you aren't employed as a full time teacher only your USC bands will change. Probably just be an extra 100 or 2 in the payment at the end but that can be a lot depending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Unfortunately it is right, assuming you are using up all yoir credits on your normal wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Whatever you do, when your marking finishes around the 6th August, don't calculate your entire net income from the marking process and divide it by the hours you spent in the marking process, and then think about that time in the good weather that's never coming back.

If you visit a university friend who did the same degree as you but is now charging €300 per hour (plus 23% VAT) as a solicitor and you don't even have the summer holidays to comfort yourself with, it can be a reflective moment on one's career choice. Younger people thinking of teaching, take note. And even if you love teaching, you're going to get to a stage where you have to get out of it and into management or some less capable moron on the staff will get into management (because, often, they can't actually teach and the existing management need to get them out of the class but shhh) and control your teaching timetable/happiness.

If you can live outside Dublin/pay off your mortgage early, and enjoy the summer holidays rather than have to work through them, teaching is still a brilliant job even though you will, as I said, probably have to leave the classroom for management at some stage so perhaps don't choose it as a life-long career if you're doing so because you like actual teaching!

• Advertisement

I wish some of those people at marking conferences who want to fight every point would just whisht and let us get this done asap. Fine, discussing it and moving on - but stop putting your energy into this very dispassionate process. We are in an era of declining academic standards. Embrace them, or perish! 😁😡

• Registered Users Posts: 4 G.briste

Has anyone not received any payment yet?

I haven't received any money in my account for SEC Examining. I received €312 net (from €600 gross) as an advance on 16 June for being a Superintendent. That is all. If I recall, in previous years the Superintedent section has been quicker at paying, and in one year I didn't get fully paid for the examining until November.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 G.briste

I see! I thought maybe the advance or conference fee for written examiners had been paid out. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

You must be at my subject :) I find that it is the new examiners that have bees in their bonnet or liking the importance of their own voice trying to change something that has worked for years while the experienced examiners sitting rolling their eyes. All those arguments only delay us all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I'm kind of surprised to see this here. Teachers complain constantly that they have no voice in many of the changes in education, yet when they can have a voice, they are being told to shut up. It's important that answers are discussed and that other view points are considered at the marking conference. It's not a dictatorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭amacca

Dunno if it's changed but in fairness there's usually feck all time to get into it as a written examiner at the conference and still let people go home to their families on time ..between going through the scheme and noting clarifications and marking some practice ones etc..

You don't want to be the one that everyone is secretly rolling their eyes at because they think you just like the sound of your own voice....which isn't far off the mark for some.

Besides those advising etc have presumably worked out most of the kinks and the rest will become apparent down the line after a certain percentage in...

It used to feel a little like a dictatorship in the past 😅...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

I must say the weather Gods are being very kind tp us this year. Apparently there was a little drop.of rain yesterday 😅😅

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Coming to the end of marking online for the first time. Dear God how did we ever do it the old way? Online is a dream.

It very much is. However, 'linking' all those supplementary pages to random questions is a pain. Some kids are all over the shop with where they write things!

The Advising Examiners are like stormtroopers though with the deadlines and phonecalls! (albeit nice ones once you get the work in!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭Treppen

In fairness though I think it's important to fight a student's corner.

I was only ever at 2 conferences and both times I had to point out ambiguities in a question or allowed answers were extremely limited to 1 or 2 possibilities and didn't allow for other interpretations or learnings.

Even to this day I say to students "well technically you're 100% correct but I think an examiner might miss that point , so you must write this instead to be safe".

So go ahead, annoy the eye-rollers.

Although I have eye-rolled myself 🤣

For sure, some of the questions could be phrased better. Clarity should be of the utmost importance in each question. There's actually no excuse for that. Does a single person write each LC exam paper? There are some questions that I don't think would pass if they had two people writing them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I came on to announce how happy I am, finished for another year.

But now I've read that and will have a quiet sob into my wine. 😫

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Muise1981

A decade since I did it, where time goes!!. Chatting to a man superintending with me who marked online last year and not having to open packs, count scripts, scrud 60s etc must be very nice. Don't think I'd like the whole thing of every last hour on a screen.

Also make viewing scripts a it easier at the far side. Though I guess the advising team are an ever watchful presence by the sounds of it. Must be a big push to get things over the line so results can be published etc. To those finishing up, enjoy the rest of the summer. Maybe weather will pick up now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭Treppen

I'm not sure how the exam is created but I'm sure they'd have to proof a number of questions with second eyes. I think in the end the papers are randomised so the creator doesn't know which one is sent to the printers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

I certainly found that the most argumentative people found themselves as advising examiners the year later. Handy way of muting criticism I suppose.

In the LC, at what number of scripts does the extra 6 euro per script bonus start?

Not a bonus, you get that automatically! It was a covid thing I think, initially I think 150eu per 25 bit 6eu per script is easier to manage at payroll level I'd imagine.

There is another bump over a certain amount but its different for every subject!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

The additional threshold in my subject is about 20 more than anyone was expected to get, so nobody hit that extra.

As for the €6, it’s hard to imagine how that will ever be taken away, unless they are trying to push for teachers to mark their own.

Just to be clear.

In LC maths, the payment per script is 8.60.

You are suggesting that for each and every script, an examiner will get 8.60 + 6.00 = 14.60?

Now that I read the screengrab again, I see what you mean. The 6 euro is applied to every script.

Yep, that's a more reasonable amount per script in fairness. Especially give the issues with the papers this year.

I doubt we will be loosing it any time soon, it's keeping a lot of people doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

The solicitor has to pay the running of a business out of that €300, it doesn't all go to one person. Receptionist, legal aides, rates, accountant, employer PRSI, employer pension contributions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭drserious4

Any idea what the pay is for the average junior cert scripts and what the Irish bonus is for the corrector?

Do you get the Retention payment this year if you worked as marker for the SEC last year, albeit for a different LC subject to the one you're doing this year? And are there any conditions attached to getting it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

My understanding of the R&R fee is that it is given to anyone who corrects in 2023, with the retention element being that they hope you come back in 2024 because the pay was good. In fairness, there are a lot of extra bits tagged on to Rate per script now.

Advertisement