Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Written Examiners, 2022

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

This is my understanding of it as well. I thought it was a finishing bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Eire_S

Can anyone tell me if you're filling in the Form of Account, there's only 1 line relating to the conference. Do you just fill in the details of the main/in-person conference? Or both the in-person and online details on the same line? It's a little confusing!🤔

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

It's really shocking the number of teachers who do not check the LC project work of all of their students before they submit it. Kids are haemorrhaging marks because they haven't done the basics of their projects, leaving out entire sections.

It should be very straightforward where each student follows a simple list of headings and sections which must be done. These should be very easy marks to help all students get into another grade but instead, due to lack of supervision on what is submitted, students are throwing away significant marks. There will always be stragglers in each class, but when you see a whole slew of projects without the basics, the teacher is to blame (yes, I know legally or whatever the student is fully responsible, etc, but still, like a good solicitor with a client before a court case, a good teacher should be helping the student to prepare their work for that SEC examiner's judgment by having all the boxes ticked.)

Got a first payment from SEC Marking on Friday just gone for the princely sum of 288 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

I’ve been to inservice on how to approach the write up of projects, and attendance wasn’t great… also people there arguing that they had a better way of approaching it, which seemed bizarre to me. Wilful ignorance.

The advance is so low since they started taxing it, but at least it means the balance will be great when it comes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 HollieH20

Hi all,

New here and I am a first time Leaving Cert marker for 2023.

I found it incredibly difficult, I must add that I am not a teacher, I have a degree in the subject area and applied to basically improve my knowledge and skillset. I expected, that for my first time, I would be giving Ordinary Level papers but no it was Higher Level.

It really isn't worth all the hassle & stress.

I just wanted to know if anyone else gets higher level papers for their first time?

Thanks

I did junior cert for years before moving to leaving cert, I’d say it’s a big shock straight off!

The work is very intense and the process is difficult to get used to the first time, but it does get easier, and with the extra payments this year, I think most people will find it worth it once they get paid. I think I got about €4000 last year into my hand, so about €1000 per week. Not a bad wage, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭drserious4

I did junior cert for the first time this year. I found the first couple of days difficult but it definitely improves and becomes second nature after a while.

What is the jump like to leaving cert? How many papers are you expected to correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

No idea about the Irish bonus but the JC rate inclusive of the €3 extra per "satisfactorily marked" script is around the €10 mark? And LCHL tends to be around €26 per script inclusive of the €6 extra. Please feel free to correct me though! I would especially like to know what LCOL is per script?

About €15 plus the bonus for my subject. I’m sure it’s more for 2 paper subjects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

The Irish bonus is typically about 10% of whatever the script rate is for a specific subject as far as I know

It varies from subject to subject. Some subjects like English would have a rate per pair of papers as an examiner is marking Paper 1 and 2 for a student. Some subjects like Geography or History have a project and a written paper. Some subjects just have a single paper.

When do the payments usually come in and is it all in one lump sum?

One lump sum, about 6 weeks after you submit your claim form

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

Thanks but it sounds like the difference in the rate of pay between LCHL and LCOL is not much at all yet the time involved (in my one paper subject at least) for HL is triple or quadruple to mark a HL script!

I agree. OL often has lots of gaps on it too, so much quicker to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 HollieH20

Hi all.

Just wondering if anyone knows of someone who was dismissed from being a written examiner? Particularly if it was at the very end of the marking?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murt101

Can I ask if anyone has corrected deferred exam scripts and if there's much of a difference between the results for the main vs deferred exams?

Examiners aren't allowed to comment on the marking of scripts whether they be deferred or otherwise.

Seems to be an oddly specific question. Is there a reason for it?

• Advertisement

No, I haven't heard of it but it was mentioned at the conference that it can happen. I would say it is unusual although others may know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭picturehangup

I have never heard of it happening in my 30 yrs experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It happens, but it's unlikely that someone would get to the end of marking before the unsatisfactory nature of their work was discovered.

Friday 25 August seems very late for the LC results day, what with appeals abd CEO offers. (https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/state-examinations/leaving-certificate/#338a42)

I thought they were under pressure to have the results earlier after that Wexford/Cabinteely student won the High Court case.

The pma is holding it up again this year. It’ll get back to normal when the pma is gone.

I’ve often heard of examiners being let go. It’s not something they tend to advertise though. It was obvious to more people when we paper marked because the scripts had to be redistributed. Now they just increase someone’s targets.

Received by email this morning: " We, however, received in excess of 2,000 claims between 25th and 27th July, which are currently being processed. As a result of the large volume received together, some will not be paid within 30 calendar days but we expect to have them paid as soon as possible."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

I was paid today, absolutely unexpected!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cait110

Do you mind me asking what date your form was recieved?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

I sent it in the post 24th or 25th, I was posting few bits so can't remember which. I never emailed to ask when it was received, I usually don't do that until the first week of September!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭pandoraj09

I got paid on Wednesday. Sent in form on July 26th. So much deducted but still pleased with what I got.

Advertisement