Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Written Examiners, 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭Grueller

Varies depending on performance and when vacancies actually arise. 8 years in my case when I got it. Have seen others get it from 4 to 20+ years.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 inbetweentea

I've wondered this since I marked a while back and also if it is paid well. My advising examiner seemed to work like a trojan so I know it's not for everyone.

Congratulations on being offered it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

There’s no definitive answer. Depends on subject, level, JC/LC/LCA etc. if a vacancy arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Anyone received any correspondence for this year? Still bo word and the conference dates online are rapidly approaching!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I received an SMS from the advising examiner, or perhaps head examiner, last Thursday reminding me where to meet in Athlone and when. Perhaps ring up examiners' section because clarity is important at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Random sample

I got the usual letter in May with the location and time. I don’t expect to hear anything else before the conference.

Turns out they didn't log my email accepting it, got an email saying I hadn't returned my acceptance .....had to email back a screenshot of the email I definitely did email back. Very annoying, I turned down other work and moved things to be available and I've been correcting years. Hopefully they can sort it out.

That’s awful. It really is worth following up when you hear nothing.

They were so late getting back last year I left it assuming it was grand, only when I got to the end of last week and has no rmassesor login was I worried.

Was onto them this morning by phone, sending it on the the head of examiners. I'm a bit confused to be honest, as far as I'm concerned, given I returned the form by the date stated by email, I should be appointed as it's a contract once I return the acceptance. A simple email in March stating you've been accepted would solve this. The SEC should really have a better system for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mardirousse

I'm going to my first marking conference on Wednesday. JC French. Does anyone know around what time it will finish at (starts at 9.15am) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

You'll be out of conference by 4pm, might even be 330.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mardirousse

That is fantastic, thanks, I thought it would be after 5!

Been thinking of your predicament all day, annoying just doesn't cover it. You've planned around it, and presumably, no more than any of us, have the income earmarked for something or other. I think I know your subject (as we have the same main subject and seem to have similar experience with DEIS schools). You'd have thought that it was just a thought of changing the split of papers and telling you to come along for sure. It would be crazy to pass over an experienced examiner, when there are bound to be some inexperienced in the group. They also risk you not coming back next year, be it as you've sourced a 2023 alternative, or out of annoyance.

Really hope you get sorted.

Good luck with it. Don't get bogged down in the paperwork at conference, it all makes more sense when you are actually doing it.

Thanks for that, I was pretty annoyed for sure. More by the dismissive and incorrect initial response. I had really moved things around to make it work, moreso than any other year actually.

But good news at least, managed to get a very nice and helpful younger guy on the phone this morning at half 9 (poor guy was only turning on the computer when he answered the phone). He went above and beyond and sorted it out. In fairness, the chief advising examiner and all the subject specific people are great in general (why I keep coming back 🙂) and were in contact very quickly.

I'd be concerned it's unlikely I'm the only person who's email "went missing". The loss of the experienced staff in the SEC during covid definitely shows. Endemic in teaching though, you'd swear they had loads of people lined up for every job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I have the inperson conference on Monday and online part on Wednesday. Are we working on Tuesday? I have never had a day between conference days before.

Unlikely. You can probably go back over the model answers if you want to do something. You will have gone through samples at the in person conference and then doing the online work on the zoom day. There’s a day between all of the conferences this year, I don’t know why.

Glad you got sorted. They couldn’t find my form which I had returned this year either, and rang me to say they couldn’t find it. I told them I had returned it and they said they’d send me out another one if it didn’t show up. I’m guessing it showed up, because they didn’t send me out a new one, and the next letter I got had conference location and time.

Has exemplar and practice script on the calendar for the middle day? Maybe everyone just goes home and corrects a couple of scripts in the middle day? Must be something new they're trying.

That's the thing that annoyed me, the initial email was so dismissive......like it's impossible they could have made a mistake and it wasn't worth checking.......they often make mistakes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭Grueller

To get logged into the online marking and get familiarised. Make sure any issues with logins etc are sorted. Do a couple of practice scripts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

For those who have gone to conferences - are all the materials you need on the table when you turn up, or will it be posted the day before? I presume it was only posted last year as it was all online? I'll be away the few days before Athlone so really hoping it won't turn up at my house.

Yes, posting them out was a covid measure. The blue book should be the only thing you have going with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 G.briste

For subjects with two papers is the rate given per candidate or per paper? Eg. if you were told the rate is 25 euro, will you be getting 50 each time you finish marking a candidate (paper one and paper two)? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭drserious4

Anyone else get a small payment on Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Yes, I did. I think its payment for attendance at the marking conferences

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭drserious4

I got 600, 312 of which went in tax leaving me with 288. Could that be right?? I knew the tax was high but that seems off the wall.

That's bang on if you have no credits assigned to the SEC, double check on revenue. Usually not worth moving anything bar the USC bands anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 G.briste

Are you supposed to add it as a job on revenue?

Advertisement