Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Training since she was 4 is the most ridiculous statement I've seen on here. They all have. And I've never suggested she stepped off the tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Amazes me they get the same prize money as the men. Also, only playing a max of 3 sets.

Madness.

She missed loads of tennis in recent years because of her wrist injuries. This unseeded bull needs to stop. She's a proven top class player.

They cleverly brokered it, we have seen years of 70 min grand slam finals , they know themselves it's a joke prize money wise. But fair play to them for getting it!

She has been a top 20 player , a french final and a few 4th rounds and shag all wimbeldon wins. She shouldn't have been winning a wimbeldon title straight AFTER those injuries. But in fairness the draw was very one sided. Was that her first tournament win?? Unseeded is a pretty fair description.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

To be fair it's only at the grand slams this happens. In every other combined tournament on tour the men are paid more, despite the fact they both play best of three. Men always make more money than women in tennis.

But shouldn't be at grand slams either. Why don't the wheelchair players get the same money?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Final aside, the women's draw was far more entertaining than the mens which is mostly dull and utterly predictable these days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

Yeah I felt Hurkacz threw away those first two sets and possibly the match. Apart from the serve everything else was awful.

Congrats to Vondrousova, was hoping she'd win. Had Jabeur played her A-game she would have won.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Ah, I think the women's Wimbledon draw was a lot more competitive than the men's tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

No but you were agreeing that it was awful tennis, reflective of the state that the women's tennis was in that an unseeded player won!

I do think it was an awful match but that was because Ons absolutely bottled it. As soon as scores were even she panicked and tanked it. While her tennis game might be strong, her mental game needs to be stronger. She reminds me of Murray , you can almost predict he'll lose by the way he walks onto the court.

The point I was making is while she might be unseeded at present, she has been playing tennis for a long time. Very good tennis at that!

I do think if she had played Ons in one of the first round matches Ons would have wiped the floor with her.

Centre court final the slightest knock had Ons off kilter and she paid a massive price for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,990 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Really looking forward to tomorrow’s final

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Delighted Vondrousova won, listening to the BBC commentary it was like there was only one player playing, it was all about Jabeur, same as last year. Unless Jabeur learns to deal with her temperament she will never will a slam. She gets too high when on top and too low when things are against her, also came across as very cocky after winning the semi final. Vondrousova kept her calm well, considering the crowd were mainly for Jabeur and showed great mental strength to overcome a slow start and going a break down in the second, the narrative will be the Jabeur lost it, which is doing Vodrousova a disservice, credit where credit is due she took her chances and deserved her win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Did you know that Jabeur is aiming to be the first African and Arab winner of a women's grand slam.Just thought people would like to know this piece of information seeing as the BBC never mentioned it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭patob

Was rooting for Jabeur but felt she bottled it somewhat, probably got too hyped and was going for the lines a lot for winners. She had big weight on her shoulders as trailblazer for African/Arabic tennis. Thought BBC coverage was pretty good overall. Still think Jabeur will get a Major or two though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Yes, serve only. Like Roscoe Tanner. Jabeur just did not turn up today. Shame as it could have been a super match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

For what ever reason the pressure got to Jabeur, maybe she just wanted it too much, maybe it was the hype around her, the fact she was heavy favourite, or the pressure of the african/arab thing...or maybe it was a combination of things who knows, but she's definitely a person who struggles to control her emotions, she was all over the place today and you could see the occasion was getting to her, she was never calm, she was sulky when things went wrong and just looked unsettled from start to finish.

The talent is there but I think there are now serious questions about her mentality, does she have what it takes mentally to go on and win big...only time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Tanner had a bit more about him than just that serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

On two Djokovic set exactas @ 40/1:  LWLWW and WLLWW 

Very quiet here!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Head says 3-1 Novak.

Heart hoping Carlos somehow manages to do something special.

Alcarez in 4

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I'm surprised how few seem to be giving Alcaraz a chance to win this. Understandable I guess, given who he's playing, but still somewhat surprising. Djoko is obviously the favourite, but I actually think we could see an upset. Alcaraz in 4 🤐

• Registered Users Posts: 32,277 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Very enjoyable first game...missed break point for Alcaraz.

Can I endure Andrew Castle for this entire final.....it will be a struggle!

If Alcarez keeps up the UE count he’s screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 32,277 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

...and Djokovic breaks ...yikes

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Looks ominous already

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

So yet another bottler. When will Djokovic meet a player who can keep a basic shot in the court. Sad that it's so simple to accumulate so many slams, distorting the history of the game

This is all Djokovic meets for the past several years. Bottlers. The game is gone

• Advertisement

Advertisement