Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today’s movies are just crap, help me delve into some golden oldies.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭Homelander

Honestly if you think Top Gun was the best movie in the last few years you're surely not even making much of an effort to look!

And I do like Top Gun, it was great for what it was, but an all time classic it was not.

There's no end of great movies being made all the time, whether on streaming or the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Good call on Arlington Road. I would add LA Confidential.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Some great films mentioned on this thread already.

The fact that all Hollywood seems to produce these days are poor remakes of late 20th century classics and brainless "action" and superhero films aimed at 16 year old boys is a sign of how much it has been in decline.

Some more film classics that are really worth a watch:

Withnail And I

The Deer Hunter

Pulp Fiction

Midnight Cowboy

If

Rosemary's Baby

The Birds

Born On The Fourth Of July

Killing Zoe

Deliverance

Carrie (the 1976 original)

Jackie Brown

Five Easy Pieces

Hope And Glory

Serial Mom

Oldboy (the Korean original)

Silkwood

Sleeper

Annie Hall

The Last Emperor

Strange Days

Unforgiven

The Crying Game

Klute

The China Syndrome

Coma

Tommy

The Anderson Tapes

The Andromeda Strain

A Time To Kill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭brokenbad

There are a number of classic movies from the 1960's & 1970's worth checking out:

1. The Wicker Man - 1973
    2. Straw Dogs - 1971
    3. Duel - 1971
    4. Where Eagles Dare - 1968
    5. Get Carter - 1971
    6. The Devil Rides Out - 1968
    7. Bullitt - 1968
    8. The Ipcress File - 1965
    9. Midnight Cowboy - 1969
    10. The Odessa File - 1974

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Donnie Brasco with Jonnie depp and al Pacino

Reservoir Dogs with Tim Roth and Gary Oldman

Copland with sly Stallone and Harvey Keitel

A Scanner Darkly

Jonnie Mnemonic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭XLR 8

Rebecca

Suspect

Witness for the prosecution

High noon

Touch of Evil

Night of the hunter

Odd man out

The defiant ones

Lifeboat

Jean de floret (subtitled)

Manon de source (subtitled)

Whitnail & I

Some of my own favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭Blue850

A few more recommendations

The In Laws with Peter Falk and Alan Arkin

The Great Race with Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon, Peter Falk and Natalie Wood

If you like car movies, there's

American Graffiti

Vanishing Point

Gumball Rally

Genevieve which stars Kenneth More who also was in a little gem called Northwest Frontier

• Registered Users Posts: 28,575 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In the late 70s / 80e there were some epic historical TV miniseries with film sized budgets. Gorgeous location shoots. In some respects during that period they were the heirs of Lawrence of Arabia.

Film wise from the 80s I suggest Gallipoli and The Bounty both starring Mel Gibson.

If you are a fan of Peter OToole keep an eye out for documentary that pops up on Sky Documentaries every now and then - The Sky Road to Aqaba.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Watch Evolution with David Duchovny op 😁 2001...for some reason I love that film...no joke I got chills when they got the fire truck and pumped head and shoulders shampoo up the giant evoluting alien things ass...lol not in a weird way like in a Ghostbusters way...like 'you go guys kick that aliens butt'...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

In reference to 70s historical miniseries I can recommend 1974's Fall of Eagles. You're gonna have to look REALLY hard to find this on disc or streaming, but it is on YouTube. A fair investment of time needed - thirteen 50 minute episodes, and it is quite 'stagey' - but goes into great detail about the relationships between Europe's three great dynasties (Romanov, Habsburg, Hohenzollern) from the 1850s to 1918, showing just how Europe ended up involved in the first World War and ultimately shaped the world we live in today. For those that would like a more complete understanding than "the Germans were evil" this is ideal. Features Patrick Stewart as Lenin!

• Advertisement

Great series. Very stagey but you can forgive that if the acting is at that level.

Another great one is Tinker Tailor Solider Spy - can choose from the film or TV version.

I remembered now that Peter OToole was in the Roman era miniseries Masada.

Filmwise for Peter OToole I suggest The Lion in Winter and My Favorite Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Downloading the 70s TV Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy now! Along with a side order of I, Claudius and Day of the Jackal for a 70s inspired few weeks....

The Man who would be King starring Sean Connery and Michael Caine.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Would_Be_King_(film)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭mobby

Paths of Glory 1957 

Hombre 1967

Ice Cold in Alex 1958 

In the Heat of the Night 1967

The Grapes of Wrath 1940 

How Green Was My Valley 1941

Jaws 1975

The Remains of the Day 1993 

Cool hand Luke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭mobby

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Intouchables (French Movie) - One of the best movies I have ever seen.

The Next Three Days - I was blown away when I first saw this. No idea how it went under the radar.Recommend to a few in the old job and they all came back raving about it. Superb.

Men of Honor - Another one you never hear about. Great movie and De Niros last great performance.

Once Were Warriors - A tough watch but great New Zealand movie from the 90s.

The Island - Yes a Michael Bay movie but great concept and nicely executed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Has anyone seen Sorcerer? It’s a remake of Wages of Fear.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The original The Crow from 1994 is a superb watch.

Avoid all the sequels though!

Yes. Its,v slow but intense tension and top acting. I think Roy Scheider was in some interesting films... more to him than just Jaws

Post edited by odyssey06 on

Last of the Mohicans... 1992 adventure \ military epic set during the French and Indian war in North America with a fine leading performance from Daniel Day Lewis. Sumptuously filmed, wonderful score, skillfully directed by Michael Mann.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I remember buying Empire magazine, many years ago, Late 90's/early 00's and they had a Top Brit Flicks World Cup format, movies were drawn against each other, and the better movie moved on to the next round. The Top 2 (final)stood out as i hadn't seen them.

1. The Long Good Friday (1980)
    2. Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949)

I bought The Long Good Friday and thought it was brilliant. I thought I'd stick it up here as not a lot of people had heard of it. Bob Hoskins is great in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭waywill1966

Kind Hearts and Coronets is a great film! For me Dennis Price is the stand out even though Alec Guinness gets all the plaudits for playing eight roles in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,632 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I went to see The Intouchables in the cinema when it came out, just a 'pick a random film and go see it' type evening and wow, what a film! Definitely a few 'I've something in my eye moments throughout', bloody funny too. It's one of those films it's impossible for someone not to like, doesn't really matter what you're usually into.

The Ludovico Einaudi score in it is something else, I love the whole opening driving segment with his piano piece playing over it.

As per the usual, I see there's a US remake called 'The Upside'. As much as I like Brian Cranston I cannot bring myself to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

MOON - with Kevin Spacey as the voice of the Robot

Crash - Matt Dillon

The Bad Lieutenant - Nicholas Cage

Drugstore Cowboy - Matt Dillon

A Kiss Before Dying - Matt Dillon

Just Cause - Sean Connery

The Presidio - Sean Connery

Rising Sun - Sean Connery

Black Rain - Michael Douglas

Right im done here

• Registered Users Posts: 20,641 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Predator : greatest action movies ever made, they need to just stop with the squeals & remakes, The beauty of the movie is they & we don't know what is hunting them, that is what makes it great & the reason squeals don't work .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,048 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

2010 and Event Horizon were mentioned earlier and are very underrated sci-fi. I would say better than 2001 and Alien who they are each compared to respectively.

Most of my favourites mentioned already. Only one I can think of that's missing is "The Killing Fields" based on the memoirs of 2 journalists in Cambodia during the American bombing campaign and Khmer Rouge take over.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,632 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's one of those films that the 'first watch' is incredibly unique but the franchise has become so well known you kind of forgot about that aspect of it.

Same can be said for Alien and The Matrix. You didn't really know what the monster was or what the big reveal was going to be.

Re greatest action film ever made, it's between that and Terminator 2 for me. I can never decide, it's impossible. I'll go to my grave eternally debating that one in my mind 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Bob Hoskins was great in it ok, the ending was brilliant. Great acting without saying a word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I see someone mentioned Jacob's Ladder. I did not see Once Were Warriors mentioned. I will also add Tim, the Hunter and The Mission.

Advertisement