Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today’s movies are just crap, help me delve into some golden oldies.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Basically, anything Clint Eastwood started in or directed- quite a few have been mentioned but ‘Play Misty for Me’ is one of my favourites - it’s a dark stalker movie that I believe was his directorial debut and he also played the leading man.

‘Out of Africa’ with Robert Redford and Meryl Streep. Adapted from a book and quite incorporates some nice scenery.

If you want to see an excellent villain, Laurence Olivier in ‘Richard III’.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭antfin

I really enjoyed 3:10 to Yuma. I'm not usually a fan of westerns or even action movies but that had all of the right ingredients and was filmed beautifully.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,532 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Hah that's absolutely gas, I was only just watching Stalker this evening.

Watched it for the first time about a month ago with a severe hangover on a Sunday afternoon and was blown away. Surprised I'd never heard of it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 BornSkippy

Dark of the Sun - 1968. Mercenaries hired to recover diamonds from a Simba-threatened town in the Congo. Popular with Scorsese and Tarantino, whose Inglorious Basterds was influenced by it.

Boiler Room - 2000. And Scorsese's Wolf of Wall Street was clearly influenced by this, with DeCaprio's phone-selling monologue lifted straight from Vin Diesel's. Well worth a watch.

The Bedford Incident - 1965. Cold War Drama with nuclear stakes. A clear influence on Crimson Tide, along with Run Silent, Run Deep. Watch both if you like CT.

Breaker Morant - 1980. Military courtroom drama, a bit like A few Good Men only darker.

Les Miserables - 2019. A worthy spiritual successor to La Haine.

Emperor of The North - 1973. Depression-era Hobos struggle with a murderous Train Conductor across the Pacific North-West. Great craic really.

Charley Varrick - 1973. A crop-duster turned bank robber stumbles into Mob money and strives to escape with his life.

The Killing - 1956. Kubrick's Heist film. Tight, cynical, perfect.

BloodSport & Kickboxer - 1988 and 1989. Seriously entertaining double-tap from John-Claude Van Damme, crack a beer and enjoy the cheese.

Hard Target - 1993. John Woo's US debut starring JCVD. Face-Off is a better, and better known, film from Woo. But this film deserves to be more widely seen. The premise of Lance Henriksen and the bad guy from Blood Diamond hiring homeless veterans for rich assholes to hunt would probably resonate better with audiences now, 30 years on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,627 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭sully123

If you liked Lawrence, then try Khartoum with Charlton Heston

• Registered Users Posts: 13,446 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Some of my favourite films recently

Free Solo .

Naploean Dynamite

apart from that most of my favourite films are oldies

The American

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

The latest Indiana Jones movie in the cinema now is well worth a watch if you like the Indiana Jones series of movies. A bit nostalgic in places maybe but a great watch overall imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Blue850

And a real golden oldie The Four Feathers from 1939

• Advertisement

The cruel sea

Platoon

Unforgiven

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

John Carpenter's The Thing is actually a remake of an oldie called The Thing from another world, I saw it yonks ago and thought it was good. BUt the 80's version is great, I'd be interested to hear the reaction of someone who heard nothing about it before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭batman75

Telefon is a cracking thriller as is Last Embrace both from the 70s.

Dirty Harry is iconic along with the French Connection and Get Carter with Michael Caine.

Shadowlands is excellent from 1993 as is Witness from 1985.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭amacca

I didn't realise that, thanks I'll check it out.

I was trying to remember a vampire film that reminded me a bit of it

30 days of night...not bad

That reminded me of another good superhero film

Blade....it might have aged a bit special effects wise but brilliant opening scene and still remember enjoying it in the cinema

And for some reason that reminded me of tropic thunder .. might have just been the day that was in it but I can honestly say it's the most I've ever laughed in a cinema at a film...probably helped by an unexpectedly enthusiastic crowd at 3 o clock in the afternoon that liked inappropriate/silly humour as much as I do

Fugitive and us marshals. ...not bad

And o brother where art thou.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭waynescales1

"I'm an oil man, ladies and gentlemen..."

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

Citizen Kane

Apocalypse Now

Good Morning Vietnam

One Upon A Time in America

The Deer Hunter

and my all-time favourite feel-good movie: As Good As It Gets

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

The Third Man

Goulies III: Goulies Go to College

The Maltese Falcon

Billy the Kid Versus Dracula

• Registered Users Posts: 23,681 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein (1994)

The Butterfly Effect (2004)

Predestination (2014)

RRR (2022)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I liked 30 Days on Night. There’s another vampire film called Near Dark that is supposed to be very good. It’s part of a must watch list I had pre kids. I need to revisit that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Beefcake82

Kelly's Heros

Patton long film but very worth the watch.

The Color of Money

Hacksaw Ridge

A Clockwork Orange

Logans Run

The Outlaw Jose Wales

You Only Live Twice (James Bond)

Barbarella

The Day the Earth Stood Still

War of the Worlds 1953 version, still love the Jeff Wayne musical.

Apache

Star Trek The Wrath of Khan

These are a bunch of my old school favorites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

The killing fields

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Midnight Cowboy with Dustin Hoffman and John Voight is an absolute classic

Excalibur in my opinion is the only decent movie adaptation of the King Arthur legend

The Wicker Man (1970s original, not the awful Nicholas Cage remake) is another of my all time favorite movies.

Spartacus with Kirk Douglas is amazing also

I bought a James Cagney box set a good while back which contains some real classics such as White Heat, The Roaring Twenties, Angels with Dirty Faces and Public Enemy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭amacca

There will be blood is an undeniably excellent film, its almost oppressively good.

I second as good as it gets, just fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Baybay

Thelma & Louise

The Accused

Benny & Joon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭brokenbad

A few timeless classics from the 70's worth checking out below

1. The French Connection 1 & 2
    2. The Day of the Jackal
    3. Dirty Harry
    4. Marathon Man
    5. Capricorn One
    6. Taxi Driver
    7. The Exorcist
    8. Don't Look Now
    9. The Taking of Pelham 123
    10. Jaws

• Registered Users Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Irréversible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Some easy to watch enjoyable classics

The Third Man - Starring Joseph Cotten, brilliant noir style mystery set in Vienna

The Lady From Shanghai - starring Orson Welles , features the greatest Irish accent in the history of cinema

Double Indemnity - Starring Edward G Robinson, Fred McMurray and Barbara Stanwyck, classic film noir

The Big Sleep - starring Humphrey Bogart based on the classic Raymond Chandler novel

The Maltese Falcon - Starring Humphrey Bogart, based on the Dashiell Hammett novel, directed by John Huston

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Starring Humphrey Bogart, incredible enjoyable adventure film Directed by John Huston

The Man who would be King - Starring Sean Connery and Michael Caine , another very enjoyable adventure film directed by John Huston

Le Cercle Rouge and Le Samourai , both starring Alain Delon

Post edited by Jack Daw on

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Lawrence of Arabia - 1962

An American President - Michael Douglas

Fatal Attraction - Michael Douglas

Das Boot

Saving Private Ryan

The Passion

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Some that I hope haven't been mentioned, forgotten classics I think..... :)

Last of the Mohicans - Daniel Day with his method acting.

History of the World Part I - you can't make comedies like this anymore. Better than Blazing Saddles IMHO.

STRIPES - Great comedic cast, just a lot of fun.

The Princess Bride - Seriously? Have you not seen this?

The Bear - French foreign language but the Bear deserved an Oscar for this one!

The Edge - Classic thriller with Baldwin and Hopkins

Sneakers - Classic comedy thriller with a stellar cast for the time.

Deadly Pursuit - Classic thriller with Tom Berenger and Sidney Poitier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭BalboBiggins

Went on a bit of a Mickey Rourke binge recently. I recommend Angel Heart and The Pope of Greenwich Village. Also watched Brian De Palma's Blow Out recently as it was recommended by Tarantino. Good film.

Advertisement