Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

When he "took" the caps he would have had to turn down any offer from SA. The rules changed after that time. So he was 100% committed when he did it. I also don't particularly think the rules should allow swaps between tier 1 nations, but its absurd in the extreme to expect someone to forego the chance if it is there.

After 4 years in the wilderness someone wanted him and someone didn't. Pretty easy choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Shehal

Okay this is a mess, lets move from talking about that Saffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

A very easy choice for Kleyn. No argument (from most)

However, the rule change....needs another change!

I'd be very surprised if Kleyn actually makes the SA WC squad all the same.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I honestly don't remember much 'backlash' against Kleyn in 2019.

There definitely was; there’ll always be a cohort on social media that will stick the knife in, but in this case there was also at least one prominent journalist for the paper of record that followed suit, with some pretty mean-spirited stuff.

I agree on all counts.

But none of this is really his problem.

• Advertisement

It's an odd one. I never liked the idea of players moving just to play for another country and when this was extended out to a 5 year requirement I thought that was fair enough.

At a certain point you should be allowed to represent your adopted home and I don't begrudge any of the players that have moved here and now or previously represented Ireland. In Kleyn's situation he's no longer representing his adoptive home (where he earned the right to represent Ireland) to go and play for the country he grew up in but doesn't live now.

I think mindset is a big part of this, the entire Irish team plays for teams in Ireland - this is not the way South Africa operates so Kleyn not living there is entirely normal. I think people would be less perturbed from an Ireland POV if he was going to play for the Stormers next season. Similarly when I heard of this rule I wasn't thinking about tier 1 to tier 1 traffic, but on reflection a rule can't be available to some but not to all.

The other mindset aspect is that a fair few will be defensive or critical around this depending on the province they support but in reality it's only an issue if it impacts team Ireland. I don't think Kleyn was particularly near the Irish 23 and I don't think he'll have much insight to offer Erasmus about team Ireland so I'm not overly bothered.

Similarly when I heard of this rule I wasn't thinking about tier 1 to tier 1 traffic, but on reflection a rule can't be available to some but not to all.

I’d agree with a lot of that, Venjur

I’d guess World Rugby probably weren’t thinking about Tier 1 to Tier 1 traffic either; it seems like a rule designed to help Tier 2 Nations.

I’d also add to the above tho that, if these edge cases are the downside to that rule change, then it’s still sufficiently worth it.

(And I’m not even convinced it is a downside, and am delighted for Kleyn tbh.I feel his performances have merited it).

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

He has to do what he feels is right, of course.

It's the logical step for him and I assume he has factored in that he wont be getting a renewal offer of similar value from Munster/Irfu as he did in Jan '22.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Is there any other players that could do this either away form irleland or to Ireland?

Obviously off the top of my head john cooney could play for Scotland or luke mcgrath for the US Jordan murphy to spain or less likely again zebo to France. but could ireland benefit from anyone.. apart from maybe Freddie burns :).

It might be beneficial for one of the proviences if they found a capped Tighthead from South africa or england who hasn't played international rugby in 3 years who has an irish grand parent.

Even for a squad player in a one of the proviences.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

U clueless,Lowe,Hansen,Gibson park,bealham aki,herring,would All jump to play for their home countries given the chance.but for that to happen they need to be away from Ireland rugby for 3 yrs so of course they going to make it like they here to stay.every single one of them grew up wanting to play for NZ or Aus or SA.they just weren’t good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,363 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Kleyn wanted to play all of his games for Ireland once he committed. Ireland chose to freeze him out and now they've lost him.

Post edited by Akrasia on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Kieran Brookes is one that jumps to mind. Not a world beater by any stretch but he's 32 and would be useful for a province to have on the books, certainly. Picked up 16 England caps the last of which was in 2016. Has been at Toulon for the last couple of seasons.

No No No, James Lowe had a picture of Denis Hickie hanging over his bed when he was growing up

In fact, I'm pretty sure Lowe had never even heard of Jonah Lumu until someone mentioned him at a training session in at Irish camp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Run back home?

he isn’t wanted in the Irish squad, for wherever reason. He’s been left out for players he’s had better seasons than.

of course he should take a test cap when it’s offered.

lowe/hansen/JGP would all do the same things if in his position.

Kleyn earned his spot in 2019, anyone who still has a grudge about poor Dev not getting selected.. oh boy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I don’t understand why people are pissed about Kleyn. Half these people called him a journeyman and not good enough for ireland. Why would we care if he left then?

Also, his attitude is the same as anyone who moved to ireland to play rugby with the possibility of playing for us. None of those guys dreamed of playing for ireland. We are their second choice .

Or… they think we made an evaluation mistake on this one. Or.. he fits what they want to do better.

Who knows. I doubt either mccarthy or treadwell are making a south african squad for anything but that’s neither here nor there.

There are 2 scenarios at play around these rules

1. Players from Tier 2 countries who went abroad and qualified for Tier 1 nations and chose to play international rugby for the Tier 1 nation instead of the Tier 2 nation that would have selected them in a heartbeat
    2. Players from Tier 1 nations who would have preferred to play international rugby for their own country but were told that they would not be in the picture so they left to try to build a career elsewhere

Why are category 1 players somehow morally better for going back to play with their home country than category 2 players?

In scenario 1, it's a 'mercinary' who rejected their country of birth to play for a better country

In scenario 2, it's a player who was rejected by their country of birth who felt they could do better than waiting for them to change their mind and call them up (could be waiting forever)

I'm not passing judgement by the way. Professional rugby players want to play at the highest possible level and if that means playing with the All Blacks instead of Samoa or Tonga, then few people would choose national pride over their own career at the highest level

World rugby wanted to redress the balance caused by capture capping players to tie them to one country, even if that meant international quality players are left sitting around during international windows when their home country are forced to select lower quality players.

Dan Kelly i think becomes eligible for ireland again fairly soon.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I don't think that someone like Kelly qualifies under this new rule.

It has to be transferring to the country of your birth not "another country you're qualified for"

Kelly was born in England (AFAIK) and qualified for Ireland at U20's through his parents/grandparents.

Having now represented the country of his birth (England) he can't turn now out for Ireland.

At least that's how I understand the new rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

No, he'd be eligible.

For example, Charles Piutau was born in NZ but transferred to Tonga.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭clsmooth

That would mean John Cooney (born in Dublin) wouldn’t be eligible for Scotland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Retired Jordi Murphy has talked about maybe playing for Spain.

Ireland 7s/Connacht brought Liam McNamara in. He was capped by Australia 7s.

Kieran Brooks and Freddie Burns IQ now.

Jack Willis is in France now and has started a new contract so presumably has started his stand down clock. He is IQ through family.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Ah. The great respect card. The little Irish mentality at work. How many players over the years have played for Ireland with heart and soul but didn't have citizenship or a passport?

You can only transfer to countries you were eligible for at birth, but it doesn't need to be a country you were born in.

If he's fine with it best of luck to him, just hope he stays in SA now.

Weather they would or wouldn't the fact is none of them did, Kleyn did. If SA want our sloppy seconds then be our guest but all I know is a player who ditched SA when he wasnt good enough and then 8 years later ditches Ireland when he against wasnt good enough isnt a player I would want in my squad, you want mentally strong players not players that run away at the first sight of a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Back then, I thought that Toner got hosed. I believe that I was right. Kleyn didn't offer much. But then, Ireland were awful.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

he plays rugby in ireland, so no, he wont "stay in south africa now" 🙄

Wouldn’t you just not want him because ‘he wasn’t good enough’?

Why would the armchair psychology aspect matter after that?

Also, why would ditching a country twice be unforgivable but ditching a country once be ok. By your logic Lowe, Stander, JGP, etc all ditched their home countries because they weren’t good enough. Doing that once = ok, but doing twice = not ok…. is very arbitrary.

• Advertisement

For a player who seemingly lacks integrity and is mentally weak, he’s had a pretty good season.

Advertisement