Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Haven't posted on here for a while. Can't access boards anymore through work computer, so have to write up over the phone, which can be a but more of a hassle, but had a few good weeks, so figured I'd stick in an update.

Had a sluggish start to 2023 with me golf. Got little in, and played relatively poorly over the winter. Got in a lesson about 6 weeks ago though, and persisted with small changes which are feeling a lot better now. New wedges in the bag have taken a little time to bed in, which have hurt the game too when in scoring range. Like everything in golf, it takes time and commitment, which I've struggled with.

We were up north last year in October and set a little bet with Golfgraffix over which one of us could get our index under 6 first. I had a headstart, going from 6.8, whereas he was at somewhere around the 8.4 mark I think. So I've had an incentive to push on. He's been breathing down my neck and got himself down to 7.2, playing some great golf. Also had some low rounds getting close to dropping off, so needed to get the job done soon or it would be a battle to get down.

A run of decent golf started about 4 weeks ago with the matchplay qualifier. Format was stableford off the medal tees, so a good test. Played very steady golf, shooting a 79 with nothing worse than a bogey on the card, 7 bogeys, 11 pars. Differential of 5.3, bringing me down to 6.2

The following weekend was on the blues again, for a medal this time. This time an 83, for an 8.8 differential. Again, nothing worse than a bogey on the card, this time 11 bogeys, 7 pars. Not a counting score, but a good back up, as would have an 8.2 dropping shortly, so would cost me at most a 0.1 back.

Was up North then and played in RCD in their open week. A serious test of golf, shot an 89 in strokes off the medal tees. A proper beast of a course, close to 7,000 yards. Had plenty of wedge trouble, maybe tied to hitting off those tight fairway lies. Another round gone, and getting into the danger zone. Next 3 rounds was dropping and 8.2, 2.8 and 8.8.

It was really now or never stuff!

Vice Presidents prize last weekend, strokes, but off the whites. A rare format, but a nice one, still the pressure of strokes, but at least a couple of hundred yards shorter off the tees.

Started very well, birdied the first making about a 30ft putt from the side of the green in the fringe.

Weak 2nd tee shot, followed by a duffed pitch. But managed to get up and down with the next chip to save a bogey.

Index one 3rd, good drive, good fairway wood left me greenside, chip ran past hole to about 4-5 feet. Slightly too tentative a putt which let it take the break. 6 inches more pace and its holed, instead a bogey.

Then went on a solid run of pars to complete the front 9 a turn at 1 over. That included another missed 4ft putt for birdie on the par 5 8th.

Onto the back 9, started with another 2 putt par. 3 putt bogey on 11, another 4ft miss, followed by 2 more 2 putt pars got me to the 14th tee at +2.

First bad drive of the day on 14th, pull hook, hit the trees. Got a 9i out to leave me wedge distance, but stuck the wedge into the greenside bunker. Thankfully up&down to save bogey. Another pulled teeshot landed at the base of a tree, had to tap sideways leaving me 175 yards in. Hit the green with a 5i, and another 2 putt bogey. Up to +4 with 3 to play which includes long par 4 index 2 and par 5 index 4 to finish. By the numbers reckoned I needed to finish at worst +6 to sneak under a 6 index.

Got a good drive away on 16, middle of fairway, but still 190 left to pin. Hybrid left me greenside, up&down for par and the index 2 out of the way.

Par 3 17th, playing about 165 yards. Hit a nice faded 6i to about 12ft. Made the birdie putt, so back to +3 and a little breathing room.

Good drive, but the fade abandoned me with 2nd shot so through the fairway and a bit blocked out. Enough of a gap to knock it to about 90 yards. Gw flicked onto green and 2 putt from about 20ft for a bogey and +4 76. A 3.7 differential and down below 6 index to 5.6 for the first time ever.

3 consecutive rounds at home with nothing more than a bogey on the card.

It won't last long, with a 2.8 dropping next round out, but it's a target achieved and will start to realign and set targets lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Great shooting Space!

First cut of the year for me on Sunday! Started very poorly with 2 scratches clocked up after 4 holes. Started playing a bit better from then on. Nearly drove our short par 4, 7th and really should have taken the putter out but made a balls of the chip. Was a very frustrated golfer walking off with a bogey. Somehow turned with 16 points, it felt like 8.

The back 9 was much better though and I was playing like I have been all winter, just solid golf. Disappointing finish to bogey the last two but finished with 22 points for the back 9, 38 in total.

I don't think I broke 36 points last year at all with the injury, so a recent 43 (non counting) and 38 have been welcome boosters.

I've also gotten a Pierce Purcell win under the belt, my first interclub match, in a competition that I'm no big fan of... But I have to say, it was a great feeling having that added pressure playing for the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭coillcam

Played interclubs over the weekend.

Lost my Barton Cup foursomes match fairly comprehensively 4&3. Thankfully our last pairing got it done on 21st hole for the overall win. Really slow start and didn't have my best golf at all which left us chasing. A couple of unlucky moments but no complaints. Didn't get a proper chance of establishing a rhythm as can happen in foursomes. The couple of opportunities we had to claw back were nowhere clear-cut and I did make one good mid range birdie putt being my only highlight. In foursomes, and at that standard of play I think you don't get time to settle. You have to hit the ground running and expect to hit very few shots. Putt your partner in a decent spot, make them count when you can and leave the ryder cup shots for the tour pros.

Didn't get to complete my central towns singles match yesterday as we lost overall by the time I got to 15. I was 2 down and spent the whole day scrambling. My tee balls being predominantly garbage after first 4 holes and only decent scrambling kept me in it. I took too long to adjust to the greens and probably should have been 1D or tied when I was called in. Fancied my chances of a clawback as I was frankly ridiculous at giving myself unlikely par looks. Credit to the young lad I faced though, he was a very tidy junior and will have a bright future if he sticks with it. He'll rightly feel he has better golf than he showed on the day so it all balances out. One of our matches was lost where the opposition was +1 gross through 15. The cutoff is 11.5 index for that comp so he made an absolute worldie of a performance.

Lots of learnings here and disappointed I wasn't showing my best stuff. Even so, I was very satisfied with my shot-making and scrambling in the singles to keep alive. Another positive is that my distances seem to be longer everywhere except with the driver. I'm not trying to kill the ball but definitely making better contact with whole bag. Got a bit of grounding on where my game is at currently and it probably released a bit of pressure I'd put on myself to keep shooting lower. All of this will stand to me in future team matches plus club matchplay and majors just around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

I played for our club in the 3rd round of the Pierce Purcell yesterday evening and it was the most devastated I've ever been after a round of golf. We were playing a local club so already some additional pressure and playing after a days work with little no to chance of a warm up not great either. The other team had home advantage so we had 3 matches away but I was at home for us and a must win really.

Starting the round and there is a social golf evening just started which our team managers had not coordinated with so we had to set off in the middle of them, again not ideal. Thankfully they were very respectful and let us play through at all times but this really put both my partner and I off on the first few holes. A mix of us playing quite poorly and our opponents playing very well and we were 4 down after 9 but we both reset and started to play actual golf. The 10th my partner was teeing off and put me in a small bit of trouble but thankfully I had a clear shot and managed a great iron into the heart of the green and two putts for the win. The 11th is a par 3 and I put it just to the right of the green but not a bad position at all, our opponents put themselves in a bit of bother and another hole won, back to 2 down. The 12th and my partner hit a perfect drive and you could see the pressure getting to the other team, they put themselves in a bunch of trees with no shot at the green. I hit another nice iron to about 15 foot pin high and another par secured the win, back to 1 down.

The 13th is our index 1, a long par 4 and they had a shot here. We both hit safe drives to left with anything right out of bounds but left ourselves a long way in. My partner didn't have a great lie for his second so could only really go with a long iron but hit a good shot about 30 yards short of the green, no complaints. Unfortunately the others hit an fantastic wood to the centre of the green with about 10 foot for their birdie which they ultimately sank. Can't do much against loosing to a birdie and giving a shot away. Back to 2 down. The 14th we got a good drive away while they went just into the rough. I hit another great iron in to a tricky green, about 12 foot a bit high and right while they missed about 20 yards right of the green. Another par was enough to get the win and back to 1 down. On 15 I hit my best drive of the day but they did likewise, certainly not going down without a fight. My partners iron was a bit left of the green but a bogey here ended up being enough to win us the hole after they missed a short put for a half. Back to level for the first time since the match started and we had them under serious pressure.

The 16th is a long par 5 with the only trouble coming into play off the tee box but unfortunately my partner hooked his drive out of bounds essentially giving them the hole. Back to 1 down coming down the 17th. This is a tricky long par 3 playing longer into the wind. They hit a great iron shot straight at the but a bit short landing just on the front of the green leaving them with a nice uphill putt. I was unsure what club to hit but my partner advised me to just hit the longer one, it was 9pm at this stage, into a wind and the ball wasn't travelling as far. A wise decision and I hit the green below the hole but to the left leaving a slider across a ridge. They hit the perfect line with their put but it finished just short for a tap in par. We got a nice putt given the angle leaving a little slider 1 foot putt for par which they had us finish out. I'd have done the same in their position. We had heard that we had lost 2 of the matches away but still alive in the 2 other matches so a loss meant the tie was over. Fortunately my partner hit a great drive leaving me with an ideal position in. They went into the rough and were playing their second before us. They couldn't get enough to get it on the green and left themselves in an awkward position in a hollow below the green leaving a bit of a blind shot in. Anything on the green and a two putt would have a great chance of us winning the hole. I hit an perfect 8 iron in straight at the flag and knew it was good for distance and an applause from the crowd watching. Because of a false front you can't see the green until you are right up at it so I didn't realise how good it was but I had put it to 6 foot, maybe less. They chipped in leaving themselves with a 20 foot putt for par which they missed and we had our win, back to all square and down the 19th.

I was teeing off and certainly feeling the pressure not realising how many people were watching until now. Of course I hit the worst drive of the day leaving the ball heading towards an area of rough, not that long but dense. I still thought I had a good line on it but daylight was fading so it was difficult to know for sure. I still had my partner hit a provisional but if were using that it was game over. Unfortunately even with the crowd looking for it I couldn't find my ball and of course their manager had the timer on us. Completely fair but the manner in which he did it wasn't exactly in the best spirits essentially counting down the clock and a cheer when the time was up and we couldn't find it. The others apologised about him when the match was over. We saw the hole out but they obviously got the win and after the fight back it was such a disappointing way to loose, really feeling like you let the team down. But that's part of golf and competitive sport. It is only a game at the end of the day.

@token56 hard luck in your match, you battled really well and should be proud of your performance. Clawing the match back and going down 19 you have nothing to be ashamed of. Losing a ball with poor light in those circumstances is just terrible luck.

Unbelievably bad form from their manager to be at that sort of carry-on. Really should know better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

Thanks @coillcam I appreciate it.

Yeah bad form alright but speaking to a few people afterwards and apparently he is well known for that sort of behavior and has had a number of fallings out with people in his own club. Unfortunately you get these people in all sports. To be fair to the lads we were actually playing they were gentlemen throughout so there were no hard feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

Other end of scale from most of posts here. This time last year was a 23 HCI. Lessons, practice, fitted new clubs, practice and practice slowly going down over the year and at 20.1 in Oct. Started year badly with a couple 102s but then a couple half decent 9 holes. This weekend came in with 91…so close to breaking 90 for 2nd time only…now at 19.2 (but a decent score dropping off shortly). Want to get to <18 this year.

Left driver in bag…5 wood has been very fairway hitting reliable club vs driver that can literally go anywhere.

Bogey to start (2inches from a par…tough hole so great start), followed by bogey (another toughie), par (3, long so at this stage very happy), bogey, bogey, bogey, par (3, delighted with myself at this stage and very comfortable), 230yrds drive to middle of fairway with 5 wood on 8th (tee is on a height), rush of blood and took on high risk high reward shot that normally wouldn’t try but too tempting and on a roll…ball into trees never to be found leading to triple bogey followed by disaster drive on 9th (easy hole, head was still messed up after 8th) and a double bogey. So 18 points/46 shots…decent but absolute crap end.

Par on 10th (relatively straight forward 5 hybrid followed by SW and 2 puts), next tricky par 5 on fringe after 3, chip to 4 foot from hole and takes 3 puts to hole out…madness…boring bogey on 12th (GIR but at least 60ft from hole on 1st putt so took 3), followed by par (3), par on index 3 par 4 14th which I’d say pared twice before (decent drive but duffed next one to 70 yards in heavy rough with bunker in front, wedge shot was perfect, putted out for par). Par on relatively easy 15th, index 1 16th 2 duff shots and a triple bogey (tired at this stage), par 3 17th straight into water (over clubbed to be safe but decided to hit it easy, not a good idea) another triple bogey and then par 5 18th…great drive great 4 hybrid, SW onto fringe, chip and putt…nice, another hole I rarely bogey never mind par.

So back 9 very mixed but 20points/45 shots (total 38points/91 shots). 43 points (HCI of 4 I think) won the comp. Onwards and downwards hopefully.

Played our 2nd major/medal yesterday and turned in a net 71 off 12 which was good for 6th. The rough was trimmed a bit thankfully and the firm conditions made it a different prospect. Huge chase on fairways and greens were near their max speed.

My 3i on 1 ran out to over 250yds and just about left a line at the green to wedge on. Made a long 2 putt to open with a par. Poor tee shot on par 3 2nd meant I went through the green on my recovery from a bad lie . Went through again from another bad lie and in the bunker. Couldn't get up/down so I carded a 6 for triple.

After that I went on a bit of streak. Parring 3,4,8,9 and bogeys for 6,7. I was a whisker from a HIO on 5, a gust could have nudged it in. Got a little clap from the group ahead 😂.

Back 9 was mostly good golf too. Unfortunately a few loose strokes and tired bogey, double finished left a slightly sour taste. Still that is my best score at home off and off the back tees. My garmin app said I had 10 GIRs but I think one of those is misread from a putt on the fringe. Either way I've never had more than 7 iirc so it's huge progress. Had 3 birdie putts inside 7ft so I easily could have dropped one more.

Index drops to 10.5 and hopefully that puts me in good shape to slip below 10. A couple of sub 85 rounds should do the trick before the year is out. Nice week of sun and our scratch cups on Sunday to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

Off the back of a solid performance on Thursday with a 3&1 win in the club matchplay, i went on a society outing full of confidence. This quickly faded as I stood on the range and began to shank every ball without time to get a fix in place, I was severely lacking in confidence on the first tee and the trend continued, scoring 2 points on the first 5 holes. Ready to call it a day, i managed to pull a birdie, bogey, par, par run to make a really bad card just look like a bad card! Unfortunately, that was a good as it got in almost perfect conditions with a string on 1 pointers on the back 9 and rolled in with 27 points. It was just one of those days where it wasn't happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭zocklie

Played Kileen castle open singles on Friday, had the last tee time so was about to start warming up 20 mins before the slot, guy from the shop comes running out and tells me the lads I was to play with cancelled, could I join the group on the first. They were already a fourball, as were most groups on the course, but one lad said he'd play with me if we could go ahead as a twoball. Didnt have the best start, bogey from middle of fairway, got to second tee, called to play through, lost 2 balls from tee under the pressuire :P . Then we're backed up for next 3 holes, asked the lads ahead of us and they told us there was a club match ahead of them and they weren't letting anyone through. We thought because we were a two ball, we'd have a chance, so played through the group in front, caught up to the club match.

Queue waiting for up to 5 minutes over some shots for around 3 holes, we caught them teeing off the 10th whilst we were on the 9th, someone watching the game said "no chance, you can't play through club matches". At this point they had lost 2 holes on the group in front, and had backed up the course quite significantly, we could see 2 groups waiting on tee boxes behind us. My playing partner asked where in the rules of golf it said we couldn't go through a club match, and he then was asked was he a member. He said that doesn't matter, and the club guy told him " to never speak to me like that again". Took 2.5 hours to play the next 9 as a two, my head was absolutely rattled from rushing at the start to having to completely slow down then. My playing partner was crusing though, so I was moreso trying to keep him ticking over despite the pace we were going. He finished strong, even with 2 scratches in the middle of the round from just basically having to stop playing and watch the match in front. I had a decent back 9 once I got settled, but I'm not sure the groups at the back had enough light to finish their rounds given we couldnt see them on last 3 holes once we had finished

• Advertisement

I don't think you'll find it in the rulebook but I wouldn't expect to be allowed play through an interclub match. I think it's a given that it's just not going to happen. Would be interested to know if there was any local rules etc for it.

The club should have really told you in advance though...

I was on the other side of things yesterday. An internal four ball matchplay went out half an hour before two ladies foursomes club matches, and we (3 foursomes club matches) were an hour after the ladies. So an hour and a half after the four-ball internal match.

Everyone knew there was going to be trouble, one of the pairings in the internal match are notoriously slow. Our first match had caught them on the 11th.

They weren't too happy but they were told by the club to let the ladies and ourselves play through. They had a 6 hour round, on a course that you rarely have anything more than a 4 hour round.

You have to book those internal matches via the pro shop. They should have known better than allow them out ahead of club foresomes matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭blackbox

Every time this thread pops onto the first page of Boards, I think, "some things are better forgotten"!

Played 4 comps over the bankholiday, and I found the more I played the better I got. Played 1 stableford with a society and then three scratch cups. Ended up having 2 counting rounds out of the 4 and came away with 2 shots dropped off handicap over the weekend. My best round of the weekend I had 3 triple bogeys (one off a a lost ball that hit the green but we couldn't find it when we got there, had to walk back the fairway into the group behind to play again) but had 4 birdies in 5 holes then after that! Came away with a prize from that comp too so delighted I swallowed my pride and wen't back rather than just packing it in.

Hopefully I can keep the form going now in the next few weeks, but knowing how this game goes, that could be my peak for the year :P

Played our Scratch Cup last weekend. Glorious conditions for golf.

A good tee shot on one and ended up taking a steady par. After that, my day was generally battling with poor approach shots and then struggling with the short game to get up/down. Chipping deserted me and while I putted well, there was often too long of a par putt left to tidy up. I had 2 pars until 14 which isn't really going to cut it and I was struggling to keep a lid on the frustration. Hit a reasonable iron off the par 3 15th that took a big but lucky kick towards the hole. Drained the downhill 10 footer to claw back to +15. Hit a huge drive on 16 leaving about 195 downwind from the rough (flyer) into the par 5. My 6i caught a bit of the overhanging leaves that I was aiming to draw around but still ran to the green and dribbled off to the steep bank into the water. Flicked a LW off the slope and it sat nicely for a 3 ft birdie I was glad to take. 17 I hit another big drive followed with a solid 9i just to back edge. Tidied up for par and my card was at least looking like breaking 90. Tugged my drive but it landed safely and popped up on rough. Nothing to lose and wind gusting to help I elected to take it on with a 7w at the par 5. Came out low and had no spin so it careered into the wooden facade of the little water moat. Dropped close to the water and hit a great little wristy pitch that checked up before the short sided pin. Finally a good short game shot :D and a tap in par to head off with an 86 gross. While I was 5 back from the winner I think I still made the top 10. The differential means it entered my top 8 so I dropped 0.1 and now down to 10.4 index.

I'd say I left 3-4 shots behind purely on duffed/thin chips. I could have had better days for my approaches but I wasn't miles off of where I'm at tbf. Still consider this progress and the short game work continues. The hc is consistent with where I'm at and I'm happy to be dropping it every other round. Hard to fight that delusion of "I should be 5 shots better than this!" Have a club singles match coming up and it's looking like I may have to concede as I have a bunch of clashes (my fault for not pushing the opponent earlier).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,563 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Haven't managed to play in a month or so between work & being away. Managed to get out for 9 last night and was expecting very little given my form so far this year. Was 5-over for 9 holes which is the best score I've put together since February. Three poor iron shots cost me a much better score, and all three were high and spinny so there's something going on there.

3 Doubles in the first four holes... things weren't looking good, but turned it around to shoot 80 in our monthly stroke play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eggy81

39 points this morning in tullamore off 21. Shot 89 gross and it’s my first time to break 90 since summer 21😮. Parred the index 1,2 and 3 for 4 pointers and had birdy putts on all 3 holes too. Birdied the 8th for another 4 pointer. Could have been much better too as I scratched 3 holes and made a mess of the par 3s apart from the 9th which I parred. Double bogeyed the rest. Should get me a bit of a cut as will easily be my best round of my 8

• Registered Users Posts: 23,563 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

33 points off 13 today. Was tipping along nicely and then made a balls of 13,14 & 15. 13 has a big net along the left of the tee box and if you want to go for the green you have to play close to it. Hit a cracker of a drive and just nicked the final post and spun OB. 14 is a tough hole and was in the trees off the tee so had to chip out then hit a poor approach. 15 I'm still annoyed about, dog leg right and what should have been a perfect drive around the corner, got up and no sign of the ball. Had to go back to the tee to hit again. Second drive was more right than the first and found that in the heavy fescue on the right hand side of the fairway so first 100% should have been in the middle of the fairway, no idea where it went.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I think I’ve turned a corner here with my golf this year. After the high of last year and the drop in handicap, I unfortunately didn’t get to play much over the winter. Come spring 2023 and hopes were high - bit did I come crashing back to earth. I just couldn’t get the ball off the tee and if I did - I was opening the club too much on my backswing and not getting it back at impact therefore hitting the ball with the sole of the club, not just the odd shot, every single one.

Soul destroying.

I even wanted to give up playing. I got a lesson (which identified the problem) and I got worse so I stopped playing and only practiced. Not much fun when you were shooting mid 80’s to see it go up to 115 and more. My hard work from last year was quickly undone.

Anyway, short story long, Benny here gave me a tip for wedge setup and from that video I found another one talking about grip. Pro had checked mine and said it was fine but I decided to try what was in the video - holy crap did it make some difference. I’m now hitting the ball much higher and my baby draw is back. I played a bit better last week but it really gelled yesterday. Now I still had 5 desperate poor drives resulting in scratches but I had 31 points for the other 13 holes which included 3 x 1 pointers from brain fart moments. When I got my drive away it was going 270/280 yards, approach shots left me with decent birdie chances. Wedges were excellent and I sank some decent putts apart from one hole

6 pars

4 bogies (all avoidable)

3 doubles

5 mess ups!

Still delighted and I shot a 95 which was the best round this year. Onwards and downwards. I want to break 80 this year and am going to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

Typical golf at the weekend, when one things starts to fire, something else goes wrong. I have been hitting my driver really well the last few months but my iron play has been terrible, with a thin shot ruining rounds. On Saturday in the Presidents qualifier it was the exact opposite. I suddenly developed a slice off the tee when my usual miss is a hook. I couldn't figure it out but I decided to play with it, aiming out left and just assuming it would show up. Iron play suddenly kicked in however and second shots were saving me all round.

Got to the 13th hole only 5 over off 14 and couldn't decide on my club on a par 3. It was either a hard 8 or relaxed 7 which I almost always pull on this particular hole. The 8, going directly at the flag, came up about a inch short of making it past the bunker at the front of the green, two to get out, and a dreaded three putt to potentially wreck a great round. The third putt was a horseshoe from a tap in of about 5 inches. Head gone, double on the next, and ugly golf for the rest of the round. Shot par for handicap on the day but I was not a happy man.

I have a really low round in me if I can keep composed, but keeping the head up after a bad hole is just beyond me at this minute. I have literally no idea what I am going to produce with the driver in my next round so will be fun to see. I qualified for the Presidents second weekend but really just making up the numbers, so its a nothing round to figure stuff out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm going out on Saturday in maccreddin. I haven't played in a while so thought I'd dust off the cobwebs with a range session. I went through the bag and was flushing it. I even started to give myself bad lies and still everything was coming out practically perfectly.

I assume this means I'm not going to be able to kick the ball out of my way on Saturday.

I played there once before and was woefully bad. So at least I'll have to be better than that.

Last 3x rounds have gone in the wrong direction, unfortunately. All stroke comps from back tees playing off 11. Turned in 90, 93 and 91.

Two weeks ago I had 6x lipouts and 2x chips that hit the flag so I could only walk away scratching my head. Last week I putted really well tbh despite one avoidable 3-stab. However, my chipping completely deserted me. I duffed the ball 4 or 5 times and moved it 3ft forward each time. It was infuriating as I'd put in serious short-game practice over the last month and was super happy with the progress I'd made. I was quite relaxed and confident until I duffed the first chip and wanted to snap my wedges 😂.

Positives have been putting, driving and mid-irons. Short irons and wedges haven't been great but chipping is the biggest disappointment. They are the bad rounds from my index range and I should be expecting them so it's not the end of the world. The craziest thing of all was a near albatross 3 weeks back. Probably one of my best drives ever on the par 5 16th in Mullingar in the really hot dry spell. The ball ran out 300yds well over the drain and left a 7i in from 179yds (165 is probably a normal 7i carry). Hit it up the left side over the bunker and it chased along the slope turning back towards the rear pin. Didn't realise until I got up there and the group on the 9th tee told me it was a whisker from holing out. Missed the uphill 6ft eagle putt of course 😭.

I was a lot better in Macreddin than on my previous outing, but still pretty bad. It's a course that really punishes wayward shots which is absolutely fair, but tough for me. 27 points overall - 3 scratches. 1st hole I decided to play safe with an iron from the tee. I pulled 2 brand new balls OB left. 3rd hole is a tight drive so I played a 3w from the tee. In fairness, it wasn't all that far left, it was into the wind, so once it started turning it really started turning and just barely went into the thick stuff. But regardless, that's where it went and stayed. Stupidly I didn't hit again from the tee, so another scratch. The 3rd was on the par 5 13th - I thought I'd have a pop at the green in two, lots of room around it. It took a massive kick right and must have rolled into the thick stuff. Gone again. But it wasn't all bad, lots of good shots mixed in. I just played like I was rusty.

It's a fabulous course, but the condition isn't good. That's my 3rd time there including a stay in the hotel where I took a walk on the course and the tee boxes every time have been very bare - the first two times there were even a lot of weeds in them. Maybe they're not the important thing to concentrate on but they look bad. The fairways and rough beside the fairways are also lacking in grass in far too many parts. It's annoying finding your ball lying on the soil with just a few blades of grass around your ball, but nothing to sit up on. The greens in fairness were good, but just really slow. I found it very difficult to adjust to them. But still, even with those criticisms, it's just a really impressive course, full of interesting holes. It might be a nice course to be a member of because you could learn your lines. Or it could be a nightmare because it can be so penal.

Anyway, fingers crossed I get out again sometime soon.

Suprised to hear this, I was considering playing their "black tee's challenge" this weekend, but might give it a miss if the course isn't up to scratch.

I'd only played there once before as a gust in the hotel, and the fairways had just been hollowtined, I was raging as it was a package deal and had no mention of it before going out. Would have opted for the spa had I know 😓

It's still well worth playing and the black tees look like a lot of fun! Also, the tee boxes were the things I found looked worst and the back tees will probably be grand. I can't imagine many go from them!

But I did get caught out on fairly bald patches a few times where I'm not sure of the reason for it. They weren't layup areas, run off areas etc. I think the greens just needed a cut. They were fair, just far slower than you'd expect in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭KevH1984

Played in our Vice Captains Prize at the weekend just gone. Have been playing pretty decent this year so far in general and was hopeful of another solid round. Straight out of the car and to the tee after a few nights away with the Mrs, no surprise to hit a poor drive on the first but managed a scrappy par and was off and running. Turned with 20 points after 9, 8 pars and a birdie which I was very happy with. The back 9 usually plays much harder scoring wise however I continued to play pretty well. A bogey on 13 was the result of probably my only poor drive on the day but this was followed by a birdie on 14 to get myself back in to red figures. 3 further pars followed and found myself on the 18th tee -1. A trend of mine would be to mess up at some point from a really promising position generally on the back 9 and I have shot an under par round once before. I was extremely nervous on the 18th tee and was praying the drive would go somewhere decent. I managed to hit an absolute corker, comfortably my best of the day which left a little flick in to the green. Unless the dreaded duff appeared I was confident of having my 2nd under par round. Hit a perfectly decent pitch in to about 10 feet and holed the putt for birdie. Chuffed was an understatement. In the end I finished with 70 strokes -2 gross for 41 pts off 3, 3 birdies and 1 bogey which was good enough for 2nd overall in the competition. Delighted with the personal best. No matter how well you play you still look back and see room for improvement, for me it was not taking advantage of any par 5 on the day which has been a constant them this year for some reason. My driving and iron play have been really good this year and it was nice to see a couple more putts drop on the day, makes a big difference to any score. Nice to have a round where you feel comfortable and in control and for once the score reflected it. Back to reality I'm sure this weekend.

Back from another poor outing. 94 off 11 for 27 points. Thankfully avoided the worst of the weather but there were a few nasty showers.

Didn't get any practice in this week or warm-up today. Took until the 12th make a par and followed with a rare par on 13. Driving okay and chipping surprisingly returned. I was just a little sluggish and off in most areas. Simple stuff like alignment or shoulders/path and not getting the pace of greens.

Started to wrestle control of my irons and wedge later on in the round but damage was done with 10 points on the front 9.

Wasn't overly frustrated given recent performances but I didn't notice myself acting the bollox a few timesnon front 9. Trying stuff that was not on or even possible, idgaf casual round type stuff rather than trying to score. Back 9 was decent for 17 points without burning it up.

A bit of practice needed for sure. Although I also have to be more tuned in to try to score rather than idgaf type stuff. I lost a counting score too so I'll probably get a small increase. Have a wedding in Sligo next weekend so I might try to squeeze in a tee time around the couple of days away. Ideally not 8am after a feed of porter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Very poor for most of this season but the last few weeks have been much better. All year I have been thinning and chunking irons and inconsistent with the driver. But slowed everything right down and I'm playing much better because of it. They aren't completely gone but I'm making good progress. 4 of last 5 rounds in the 30 points plus. 34 best, so still plenty of work to do.

I have got into a bad habit of starting well and hitting wobble around holes 6 to 12 on various courses and then finishing ok. Not sure what is causing it.

This morning I started with 4 straight pars. Equalled my best ever start to a round. It was superb. All four pars were from GIR, two really good looks at birdie, all tap in pars. Then the 5th... just blocked my approach a little. Putt from off the green. Left it maybe 12 to 15ft from flag. Got a bit aggressive with the par putt and missed a 3 footer on the way back. Double. Did a decent job of holding it together for rest of the front nine. Turned in 39 shots, first sub-40 in a long time.

Back nine was more of a battle. Some good stuff, some not so good. Bizarre situation for me on 15. Long difficult par 4. Ok drive left 225yards to flag. Wind assisted. Normally just outside my range, but hitting it well so went for it. Flushed it, straight over the back of the green into long grass. Hit a rescue as a provo into middle of green. Found the first but hacked it over the green and ended up with a double.

Great par on 17 left me on 31 points. Last hole is a par 5. Striped a driver. Then had about 230yds to hole. Decided to go for green and flushed it again. But was maybe 30 yards short. Massively elevated green. Hit what I thought was a perfect 52 degree but it just failed to reach the green and rolled down the hill, absolutely sickening. Overcooked the the chip up on to green. Aggressive putt for par and missed a short putt back for another double.

My putting from 2 to 8 feet is appalling and has been for a very long time. Probably at 36 handicap standard. Nervous over them, lifting head, pushing, pulling putts, stabbing at them. Just awful. Have to sort it out.

Long post. First in a long time on this page. Needed to get that off my chest!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Wheels fell off a touch since the last post, or more they got a wobble at least. I had already booked a lesson so maybe that caught it early.

My driver was starting to cost me shots and off par3 tee's I was awful but still managing mid eighties apart from two rounds in awful weather where I failed to break 90 for the first time in a long while.

Few good rounds over the last fortnight has me down to 7.4 now but could be lower bar some poor putting. Shot 84 yesterday with 3x3 putts and an 81 on Headfort New with some crazy tough pins but a stone cold putter. Putter will come good, some gimicky pin positions really caught me out more than anything, putt really well just not giving enough or too much break and scraping the lip. Those kind of putts where its center of the cup until 2 or 3 inches and miss high or low.

Hoping to get to 7.0 before the season finishes but happy to have gotten as low as I have already, not that long ago I just wanted a HC in the teens

• Advertisement

Finally broke 80 on my home course this year (only joined this year). Had a solid front 9, then bam, 2 doubles from no where on 10 & 11 (10 is a scoring hole too, had to take an unplayable). Standing on the 12th I said I'd try go 1 under for last 7 to give me a chance, ended playing them 1 over but from 2 mental errors on 16&17. Wasn't within an arses roar of the prizes but was happy I was able to keep it together and get some positives from the round. One thing I kinda of thought about after the round is how lax I am over mid range birdie putts, rather than trying to make them I'm more so trying to not knock them 6 feet past, If I maybe made more of an effort on those one or 2 might drop and I'd really get going.

Advertisement