Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2023

Options
  • 23-01-2023 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭

Fourth time starting this thread for the year and as usual I only start it on a good round

77 off forward tee's on Headfort Old of 9.8

3 under through 4 holes was a great start and held it until the 8th where I found the bunker. Being winter, bunkers are hit and miss,more miss today and cost me a few times. Good golf though in general and a PB for me

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Only played once so far this year, 14 holes last weekend. Was the 1st time in around 6-7 weeks, so very rusty, but was happy enough. Drove the ball quite well, and hoping the gym work i've been doing will add a bit of distance. Lessons have tidied them up a bit as well, so relatively optimistic for the new year.

Always struggle with my chipping when the ground is as wet as it is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭phelimb

3 under through 4!!! I'd have gone home at that point as it surely won't get any better than that 😁

What was going through your head, was it like I could actually do a level par (or better) round here, today might be the day!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭coillcam

Had 30 points for 15 holes over the weekend. Usual winter rules of placing everywhere and forward tees. Had 7 GIRs which is probably a pb for 15 holes and easily could have dropped a couple of birdies.

The damage was done early from a rare one that rhymes with bank, that was on the fairway where I went OB for a double. Next hole index 18 I had 180yds to reach a par 5 in 2 after a perfect drive. Somehow I conspired for a double after finding trees twice. Steadied up before a double-cross into the trees from a perfect fairway lie which cost me a triple after the turn. My provisional ball would have been a handy double of course.

Despite those unfortunate big ones, my wedges and short irons were excellent. I managed a ridiculous houdini up and down for a par. Faced a steep downslope from essentially a grass bunker to a downhill and downslope green. I needed to hit it as a flop shot to attempt to keep it on. Clipped it perfect and it grazed the cup for kick in. Would have loved to see a video of it. Probably won't make a better recovery all year.

Outside the big number mistakes it was very encouraging. Was a whisker off 4/4 GIRs for the par 3s. Irons generally going well and I think there's shots to be saved with putting too. Once the ground dries up a bit I'll go back to practicing short game properly. The practice area is very boggy atm, bunkers packed in and greens are inconsistent. Maybe I should be learning here.

Driving solidly and learning a fade with the big dog atm. Helps attack 3x holes a lot better and leaving better misses on them also. Confident enough in the technique but needs drilling. Funnily enough my usual draw with the driver was starting to be a straight or baby fade shape lately. Played around to try to exaggerate it and found an option B fade setup that worked. Now I've a little more belief that I won't hook or slice drives as I've noticed a few setup errors I was making. Confidence is a big thing and removing nerves on certain tee shots is a fantastic feeling tbh.

Forward tees and receptive greens this time of year so it's early days. Nonetheless, very encouraging signs for the upcoming season. Can't wait to get properly stuck into practice.

Post edited by coillcam on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I had 10 Pars in our 12hole comp yesterday. Hit a bunker on two holes which cost me with a bogey and a double. 3 over par and beat my handicap by one with 25 points so am happy with that.

(Comp was won with 34pts, so even though I played well and scored well, I'd have needed to pick up an extra 9 shots in 12 holes just to match their score! 🤣)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Was hoping to hold it for 9 holes, I’ve had a few 1 under 9’s but never 3 under

With how I was playing no birdies on the back 9 was poor, a level or one or two over would have been nice but honestly was just enjoying hitting the ball well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

really struggling with my game this year. Dropped from 7.8 to 9.1 with two low rounds at 19 and 20 in my golf ireland.

Have had 2 absolute wipe out rounds and two where my putting got me a 34 point return. Tracking my stats on Arcoss which is giving me a good spin in terms of where I am going wrong, but even without that I know that my ball striking is just terrible at the moment, standing over the ball and I don't have confidence I know what I am doing. This I think comes with reps, time of year etc...

Off to range this evening with just 4 clubs and a focus on consistency. Using rapsodo to give feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

Having not played in 4 months I thought the best way to start my 2023 season was to head to the European club on an outrageously windy day. I played like I hadn't played in 4 months. Hit 6 GIRs which was good, especially with that wind. But also hit some very wild shots and lots of mishits. And 45 putts. It was comical - I couldn't get anything like the speed of the greens into me and every time I saw a break it was imaginary and every straight putt was also imaginary. Great course though. Although I understand why people say it isn't a links. It's not links ground at all.

And I got out today in Skerries. What an enjoyable course! I'm still rusty as hell, but went to the range twice since my round and had a lesson, so I'm dusting cobwebs off. +14 overall. I had a few wild drives, I'm trying to correct my setup on foot of the lesson so they are to be expected. But you get away with loads there, so I salvaged pars on some of those holes. I got into the swing of it a around the 8th hole - I had a birdie, two bogies and 6 pars over the next 9 holes. 17 was a short par 5 so I had it in my head that level par from the 8th in was on the cards. Obviously I bogied it and the last. Still not a bad round though with 7 pars and a birdie when I'm so out of practice.

It's a lovely low stress course though. It's nice some days to be able to pull a drive and still have a par on the cards. But there are some lovely holes with big elevation changes.

Yay - won class 1 in Sunday members comp, which I am happy about. Putting down the improvement down to a really solid range session with my rapsodo during the week.

Scratched one hole so it could have been a lot better, stupid topped drive left me with an unplayable on the index 1

Post edited by willabur on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

Had 30 points in a 15 hole competition at the weekend with one scratched hole. Only 1 point better than the previous weekend but much more consistent golf. Apart from the scratched hole, no doubles on the card which I was really pleased. I had been struggling with my iron play recently but that was much better. Even though I'd say it was a poor driving performance I hit a nice number of GIRs thanks to the irons. The short game was also decent enough, one sloppy 3 putt but overall coming along very nicely. If I can get the driving working and keep up the rest I really think I can start to go low (for me).

Played Arklow for a team day out. Massively inconsistent day and ended with 29 points. The previously improving driver was desperate after a few early drives. Lost 4 balls. Two from the driver and one each from rough/fairway. Managed a birdie and had a few decent looks along the way. Otherwise, it was a great learning experience. Bump n run 9 or putting is way better than chipping with a wedge. A new shot to learn and broadened my decision-making process. The lies and conditions require a completely different approach to what I usually have on parkland at home.

Then we had a 15-hole sweep at home. A tail of two halves really. Lost my ball from the driver on the first two holes. Driver desperation continued before I finally noticed a big but basic error on setup but that was late in the round. After the turn I remembered that I could play golf again. Recovered to make a couple of kick-in birdies despite otherwise being miles off on the putting and finished on 23 points.

Range time with the driver is needed and a reality check that it's only January is probably also needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

Ok, was pick clean place, damp and soggy & 20 HCI…40 points/87 swings. Best round ever! Bad start with a 130yrd drive and a double bogey followed by a triple (4 putt) and then par, par, bogey, par (index 2), par…and so on. Ended up with 1 bird, 6 par, 7 bogeys, 3 doubles and 1 triple. Driver was all over the place/short but safe (think first time finished a round with same ball I started with) and was poor with the short putts (long puts were very good). Irons…couldn’t do anything wrong, 6 GIRs. Loved every minute of it (bar first 2 holes). Lessons and practice paying off I hope…but afraid of the golfing gods.

33 points over 14 holes today, which i'm absolutely delighted with.

4 birdies, 4 pars and 4 bogeys (plus a scratch and a double). I'll take that 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭KevH1984

Haven't played since November and recently got new irons and putter so have been mad to get out. Headed for the Monty in Carton for the first time on Saturday, lovely morning for it and the course was in great shape for the time of year. Considering I hadn't swung a club for 3 months I was very surprised with how things went. Hit irons really well although new putter was a bit rusty and missed a couple of short birdie putts as a result. In the end ended with 77, 5 bogeys and 13 pars. Very happy with it overall and a great start to the year. Hopefully with a bit of practice over the coming weeks things will improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

32 points for 18 holes this weekend, a pretty rubbish round to be honest. After being fantastic last week my short game was absolutely shocking. It took 9 holes before I hit one decent chip shot and lipped 4 putts, 14 points for the front 9. The back 9 was better but still a couple of silly shots dropped. It was a fantastic day for it though and our course is in amazing condition right now given the time of the year. The greens in particular are brilliant. I think they were rolled last week and a fresh cut means the ball is rolling very consistently.

Had my 1st proper 18 today, and played well. Shot 80 (par 73), but still disappointed I didn't break 80. Duffed wedge from just off the green on 17 did me in the end.

Actually hit some shockingly bad shots. Some really poor wedges on 1st, 3rd and 4th cost me stupid shots, and the worst attempted PW I've hit ever on 9th (120 yards to front of green, pushed into the water 😞). Scrambled well enough at times though. Driving was good, putting good (two eagle putts missed that I'll blame on the greens) and irons a mixed bag overall.

Overall I'm delighted with the score. Still though, really wanted to break 80! 😢

Played the last couple of weekends. The previous Sat of the bank holiday I joined a 3ball and played a friendly match. Myself (11hc) with the best player in our club off +4 vs +1 and 2. I managed to contribute two really good up/down par saves when I had shots. Otherwise, my partner did most of the damage. The lad is different gravy compared to anyone I've seen around scratch. We won on 18. Funnily enough, I had a 260yd 7w, yep a 7 wood on a Par 5 that went longer than my driver. Downwind, sitting up in the rough and I flushed a high-face low-spinner. Sailed 30 yards past the green. For context, It's usually a 215yd club and I expected it to be about 230 yards in this situation. It'll never happen again and I couldn't stop laughing at the time as it's longer than most of my drives this time of year.

I played the BH Mon and really struggled around for 29 points. My body was so stiff and tired. Genuinely ready to drop after the 18. Got a hot shower at home and ended up shivering my way to bed straight after. The bed is where I stayed for the next 4 days with a virus that drained the life out of me.

Recovered well enough to play our 15 hole winter comp yesterday. Turned in a respectable 28 points. Played some nice stuff overall. A few duffed chips and avoidable 3 putts aside (32 putts for 15), I was quite satisfied. Tee and long game in good nick. Approach play and wedges also. Short game and putting both lacking confidence and practice.

Greens already starting to recover from recent maintenance. A little more daylight now, so I'll start to get a bit more short-game practice and it'll really help a lot. I Got picked for an inter-club team and I'm also down for two other panels which I may get drafted to later. We have an internal practice match coming up soon and our team cap/vc are organising lessons too.

41 points to win the members comp in corballis. 118 golfers so good going. It was the lowest gross on the day also which I am more satisfied about!

Have to say... I didn't play that well. Had a slow start, bogey on the first after a bad pull off the tee. Scrappy par on the second and a good putt gave me a bogey on 3. 5 points after 3 holes. 8th hole is index 3 but its a gimme par and a handy birdie once you get the tee shot up to the green. I was in greenside bunker in 2 on par 5 twelve and holed the bunker shot. First shot with a brand new wedge..

Made a balls of 9 and 15, sloppy sloppy golf for two double bogeys.

Hit the absolute shot of my life on 16, 210 yard into the wind to a tucked flag. Knocked it to 3 feet (missed the putt). Missed what would have been a great par save on 17 (3 feet again). Birdied the last.

Obviously delighted to win but my mind is blown by how much better the score should have been.

Well done @willabur ! I saw your name on the club whatsapp and was looking forward to seeing the summary here. It's a funny game where your score doesn't relate as closely to how you played as you'd expect! You must have played fairly well though!

I got out today and played very well tee to green, but was shocking on the greens. I usually struggle at the start of the year, but this is a new level. 45 putts in the European club doesn't seem to be as freakish as I assumed it was. I came in with 28 points today. Had I two putted all my three putts I'd have come in with 37 points. I didn't have 9 3 putts, I had 7. But on the 18th I had a birdie putt which I overhit severely. It ran all the way off the green. I took two chips to get back onto the green and then two more putts. I went from putting for birdie to finishing with a triple bogey. This was my second time putting off a green today.

I was very happy with my ball striking though. If I can play a few rounds over the next couple of months my game should be in decent shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

27 points for 14 holes which i was delighted with considering none of my winter practice plans had come through. First round since mid September and zero range sessions. Driving and short game were much better than expected, but my irons need a tidy up. A few early shanks (4) cost me a good score. On the plus I have been doing a lot of mobility work especially around my hips and shoulders and that seems to have come to fruition. Just have to keep that going so I don't start locking up again.

cheers, yeah was really happy with the score.

Some days you just miss it in the right place. Played some really boring golf. e.g. was off the green on 5, took putter out even tho I couldn't get close to it. Made bogey but the putter took double out of the equation. My putting was super solid also, no 3 putts all day long and until the wobble on 15, 16 and 17 I nailed anything within 12 feet of the hole. All that said I don't think I will ever hit a better shot than on 16, strong wind, 210 yards to 3 feet. Got super lucky with approach on 18 also, tap in birdie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

first comp in the home club this year. 27 points for 14 hole. Happy enough with how it went, striking the ball well enough. been doing a lot of work on swing control lately, reducing swing speed etc so have definitely lost a bit of distance, but gained consistency in my irons. definitely giving me the confidence to take on shots that i used to shy away from at risk of not connecting with the ball.

Played 14 holes yesterday after a 9km hill run (training for Quest Kenmare), and unsurprisingly playing absolute shite. Toe'd the driver 3 holes in a row, which isn't something i've done in a long time, and was pulling everything left as i could barely move my legs. Still had a few decent holes, but didn't enjoy any of it.

Golf is hard enough without running up hills before you play.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 hogie_l
    Hogie

I got out for a quick 9 holes during the week with my brother. And shot my best ever score thru 9 with a 40, I was 4 over. 22pts. Soo Healy to see the progression I’m making and really determined to keep going lower!

I finally got a duck off my back today - first time breaking 36 points in a comp on my home course since January 2020. And as is the way - I did it in a huge breeze. And not even the breeze we're used to. 3rd hole usually plays into the breeze - green would be unreachable in two for 99% of golfers if the breeze was blowing in the normal direction. Instead it was helping and I'd 70m left for my second shot. Which I duffed, but then I got up and down for the par.

I turned with 23 points, +1 gross (playing off 12) and thought if I can keep it together I can reach 36 points. I did my best to scupper it - fluffed a chip on 10 and didn't get onto the green, I layed up on 11 due to the wind. Perfect spot for a layup... duffed the pitch and then failed to get onto the green with the chip. Made a good up and down for a point. I was unlucky in fairness on 12 with my free drop rolling back into a bald patch. I was not unlucky with a 3 putt zero pointer after it. Then another 3 putt on 13 (in fairness, it was a decent 3 putt). Great par on 14 into the wind and then a slice OB on 15. A very stupid shot. I left myself 90m downwind to the green on 16 and duffed the pitch and then left a chip short of the green. Another good up and down for a bogey. Good par on 17 and then duffed my tee shot on 18, just over the 17th green. I ended up making a decent bogey.

I actually came away thinking I played well, but after writing the above I'm starting to wonder! There was lots of good stuff in there too in fairness. I made a heap of the makeable putts. And some of my ball striking was as good as I ever hit. And I finished with the same ball. That's about a 1 in 20 stat for me on that course.

Fingers crossed anyway that that's the start of me being able to play that course. If it is, it only took 4 and a half years.

I played the first round of my club matchplay yesterday and was very happy with how I played. I won 3&2. I wouldn't have actually had a huge points score - 32 points after 16, but I struck it well and putted well. 9 pars and a birdie is a good return from 16 holes for me. 2 scratches wasn't great though - both massive pushes right with the 4 utility. I still haven't gotten comfortable with that club (which is supposed to be for when I don't want to take on risk).

On a trip to Spain atm and had my first hole-in-one on Monday. 173 yds into the wind with a punched 3i just short of the green and ran it to the front pin. The other lads weren't watching of course! I wasn't sure it was actually in as there was a dip that it might have rolled back into. Kind of surreal walking towards the green and waiting for the lads to pitch on while your ball is still "missing". I ended up shooting a cricket score of 99 but I couldn't care less after the HIO.

Played much better yesterday in a match with some of the other lads on a different course. We were 5 down after 9 and miraculously won on 18. Ended with an 84 for 1 worse than my PB. Reached two par 5s comfy and had loads of birdie chances slide by. A frankly ridiculous 3w went 280 off the tee and barely stays short of a ditch too. I'd love to play that one again. Heat, wind and firm conditions made it easy to bomb certain holes. Normal 250yd drives were running 270-300.

Today I was back at the resort from Monday playing the other course and had a 92. Frustrating round where I struggled to make consistent successive shots. Putting definitely improved as I started to get a handle on the local grass. Speed is key but also break in the final 1-2 ft is very pronounced. Grain also plays its part which I'd never seen before.

The big takeaway for me was the variables in turf and grass. You'd have solid hard turf inches from soft stuff that gives way like compost. You can't autopilot shots at all. Chipping and pitching have been really difficult as a result. Balls teed up on rough that can be whiffed in a blink. Snaggy straw like rough that's just a puzzle on full or long shots. It wants to strangle the hosel or bury the leading edge. Anyway, it's all been a great learning experience.

Looking forward to replaying the resort courses over the next two days. Hopefully, I'm better prepared this time around. Regardless of the scoring and HIO it's been a great trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Congrats on the hole in one, even if you're shooting 99 strokes to go along with it, you've achieved something most golfers never will in their lives

Back in from playing the same course from Monday again and shot a PB of 80. Knocked 3 off my previous best and 19 strokes from Monday!

That was my most consistent round in a long time. Hit 3i often enough to avoid trees and my irons were excellent too. Went +2 through 9 and had a little wobbler after the turn which I'll explain later. Three doubles were the only damage but clawed back a couple of birdies. No penalties and tidied up most putts/chips pretty well. Had a mid range putt for birdie on 18 whimper just short but I'm delighted to shoot 80. Didn't see it coming tbh. My watch decided to not close the round off properly and deleted the data. Annoying but I now need to go out and shoot a 79 instead 😂.

The wobbler was a double on a par 3 where we are all angry and a bit in shock. A guy hit into us on the preceding par 5 from 200+ yards. Inches from KO'ing my mate. He was marking his ball and it thumped the ground beside him. It landed between his putting stance and the ball to give you an idea of how close it was. I was also marking a couple of feet away on the same line as the inbound ball. If either of us were standing we were getting hit. He walked down after to say sorry when we were finished on the green but it was fairly half-arsed effort. Just kept saying "I didn't see you". I politely reminded him that it's his responsibility to only hit when safe to do so, especially when you can't see the landing area. He was clearly aware of the 3 slow groups ahead making it likely the green was in use. His partner could see the green from the fairway as the ball came in. Not acceptable in any way. That group backed off completely afterwards and gave us a wide berth finishing up.

An eventful day for sure and I get to play this course again tomorrow. Huge confidence boost today and wasn't expecting a PB at all. Playing 4 straight days really gets the eye in.

Fair play - I won my first round also on friday. It was blowing a gale. I was playing a former pro so I was expecting a trouncing in the conditions (he was giving me 3 shots) but I have to say I played some super golf. Over shot the green on 1 to the back of the low dune that runs along the left hand side of the 2nd hole, Managed to get up and down from over there for a half. Went 1 up on 3 with a comfortable 5. Was robbed off a birdie on 4, don't know how the putt didn't drop. Made a brilliant save on 5 which sickened him as he had a kick in birdie. We got stuck in a bunker in 6 but he beat me on 7. I won 9 with a super tee shot, won 11 with a super wedge approach to 1 foot then won 12 getting onto the green in 2. That left me 5 up after 12, ended up winning 5&4

played great stuff, didn't give him anything easy and took advantage of most opportunities that came my way. I was extra motivated to finish the match early because on the 12th tee box I realised I had my wifes house keys with me in the golf bag. There is balance in the universe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Broke par for the first time in my life with a 1 under 69 on Sunday there. Winter conditions with lift clean and place into rough if on the fairway so not proper conditions but can still say i broke par one time in my life!

Best round in qualifying conditions is +2 gross which i'll still say is my best round but sure!

Playing off a 5 handicap my 42 points were only good enough for 4th place in the sweep!! Young fella off +3 shot 59 gross 😳

Advertisement