Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Big change for me coming down was changing how I view putts, I was too happy to have a 2 putt par or a guaranteed bogey, surprising how many more putts you’ll make.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

A mate of mine was a member there for a year and left because it generally always plays tough. He's a solid golfer playing off 7, but consistently struggled to break 28 points on a normal day

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I'm going through a rough spell with my golf for the last few months, so much so, I didn't want to play. Then I would have a few good holes and things would look up and then "Boom" the sh@Nks were back to ruin a few holes. Played Lucan and started off ok, bogie / Par and then i think i had my first one. Didn't have another till the 8th and a few more cost me a score.

Played an open at home course and was flying along then again, they came back. Its an absolutely horrible feeling standing over a straight forward iron shot wondering will it go where i wanted or go sideways. Its a tough feeling to get rid of.

I had an interclub match Sunday and asked to go out last just in case - I got absolutely hammered. Was't just the poor play but the lack of course knowledge where we were that got me.

I had arranged to play yesterday as well and was hoping the rain would call it off but it turned out to be a beautiful evening on the course. Stood up on the first and hit my ball slight short left, thankfully didn't need an iron and used my hybrid and left the ball on the front of the green - two putts later i walk off with a par. Second hole is a par 3, nervously hit an 8 iron and pulled it left, chipped on and 2 putts bogie. Hit a fairway bunker on the next and had to chip out and put my ball over the green with my 3rd. Left the bogie putt short after it was travelling on the perfect line to go in. Made a bit of a mess of the next 2 holes before missing two decent par chances on the 6th & 7th. No dreaded shanks yet.

What happened next, I still can't explain but i hit every green in regulation from 8 to 13, had some very very makeable birdie putts which i left just short but i parred 6 holes in a row. Tee shots we good but my approaches were pinpoint accurate and went exactly where i was aiming. Was delighted with myself. Had a few brain farts in the 3 but finished the last 2 holes well. Decent drives, some very nice approaches and I hit some good putts.

It's a mad auld game!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭coillcam

@charlieIRL - it really is a mad game altogether. Sometimes the game just appears or disappears out of nowhere. Typically there is no obvious explanation and just a mystery, regardless of recent form. I've accepted that I'm hobbyist who's a bit obsessed with the game. More recently practice left me super confident and relaxed. Then I'll go out and all muscle memory evaporates inexplicably. Trying not to get too annoyed or upset and just shrug is easier said than. It's like you have to grind through a bunch of awful stuff (going backwards) before realising progress.

Played Rosses Point last week after a wedding. The wind absolutely destroyed me and the heavy spits of rain were no fun to deal with. Despite it being warm it was a constant cycle of brolly up, jacket on then brolly down, jacket off - rinse repeat.

I was playing good but bogey golf off whites on the front 9 albeit I had a comical 4 putt double on the first par 5. Once the weather kicked up I couldn't control the club, but my balance and swing were impaired by wind/layers. A few consecutive holes after the turn where I just lost it completely in the conditions. This meant a bunch of provos and lost balls. Mentally packed it in but I know in future what to do. Literally 3i/5i punch shots all the way home, I would have been better using the putter off some tee boxes. If the ball went more than 30ft in the air it was at the mercy of the elements. The following day in the midlands, the same temperature with a gentle breeze in shorts and a tee shirt. A world apart for a quick casual round.

Rosses Point was brilliant and I look forward to measuring myself here again. So many holes you just have to play 100% safe on, the punishment is so severe. Surprisingly I'll happily say I enjoyed the punishment all the same. Had some really good scrambles and plotted a few holes as well as I could.. Although the bloody seagull and crow had more fun stealing food from my bag twice as I took shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

My golf is in a 'nearly' place. Generally start rounds well. Yesterday was the same. Bogey, birdie, double, bogey, bogey, par, par. First 7 holes. Play off 12 and that is playing to handicap. Great drive on 8. 90yds to flag. Don't fully commit to shot, short and left into bunker. Horrible lie, take two to get out. No shot, miss the 1 pointer putt. Scratch. Par 3 9th, rope hook into cabbage, lost ball. Provo into stream. Scratch again. 14 points after 7 and 14 after 9. Really frustrating.

Double the 10th. Then same old story. Struggle through the back 9, get back to decent golf towards the end. Finish on just 26 points.

Think it has to be tiredness. I stay hydrated and nibble on healthy snacks during the round. But life off the course is really busy. Long work hours and DIY on our new house when I have any time. Golf practice just a pipe dream. I need a holiday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

Keep saying it, mad mad game.

Chasing to get to <18 HCI this year (Aug last year had HCI of 22.8).

2 weeks ago, perfect weather, complete disaster…56 shots front 9 with 8 points (off 18.6 HCI, playing 20). Back 9 much better with 47 shots and 17 points with 4 pars. HCI back up to 19.3 (great score dropped off the last 20). Gutted.

Then go out this morning…windy and some drizzle. Left driver in the bag and stuck with 5 wood. Started with 2 double bogies and was thinking here we go again. Then bogie…and then burdie. Could do no wrong…par, bogie (index 2), par, bogie (hate the 8th so happy) and a par. 42 shots, 22 points. Luckily I entered the 9hole weekly comp :) with HCI back to 18.6.

Back 9 not so pretty with disasters on 11 (9 shots par 5) and 18 (8 shots par 5) but still 4 pars and 3 bogies giving 46 shots and 19 points.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

My golf is still like a rollercoaster, classic last Friday week and I hit only a few good shots then society outing in Glasson the following day and played ok but the following Monday I had a howler. From 31 in Glasson to 19 on my home course. I just couldn’t play and after 3 or 4 scratches in a row, I just wanted to go home. Wasn’t fair on my playing partners and I’ve never walked off the course mid round before.

I hadI had a lesson yesterday (should have done it months ago) and after one shot the pro identified one of my problems with my driver. An hour later and some very well explained causes and solutions, I was flushing my drives again.I had booked in to play yesterday evening and was thinking of cancelling so I could spend the week practicing but went out anyway. Had a decent round in the end. Shakey start saw me doubling the first 3 holes but I kept my head down and played really well up to the 16th hole. Made a balls of 16 which is my favourite hole and doubled the last 2 but still, 35 points and another cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

Haven't done one of these in a while.

Played my best round of golf ever last week. Shot +1 gross playing off 8 at Powerscourt West course. Hit every fairway bar 1 and hit 70% of the greens. Didn't hole one putt over 4 feet but lag putting was very good bar one hole which cost me a bogey. Felt in absolute control of the ball all day long, was punished a full shot each time I had a bad one which was only 4 times, so I didn't scramble well at all. the last hole is a par 5 with a large oak tree and lake guarding the home in 2 scenario if you are centre or left of the fairway. I was centre, didn't have a shot at the green but I was able to work a really lovely 6 iron from right to left to a perfect position 60 yards out in the middle of the fairway. Up and down for even par... Feckin bladed my wedge, such a bad swing, the ball scooted 20 yards over the back. Got up and down from there but I cannot tell you how many times I have thought about that wedge shot... Anyways, handicap down to 5.9 which is an all time low

next round out, shot my worse stableford score ever......

golf

Haven't posted one of these in a while. Probably just out of pure frustration with my scores and HC going in the wrong direction so I didn't want to review it. Was down to 10.4 and consistently shooting in the 80s with an 80 on hols in March. Knocking on the door of 79 or so I thought. Haven't broken 90 in over 3 months now. Tbf my practice is nearly non-existent as I've been too busy. Lost my short game as a result and regularly throw in the towel too easily. Have an open today and comp on Sunday. Will post up something to show where I'm at. Despite the crap golf and frustration, it's still a great feeling to get out on Sunday. There are a lot worse problems out there.

As you say, golf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

I got out for my first round in a long time in esker hills this weekend. So logic would lead me to not expect much. But obviously a part of me thinks why wouldn't this be the day I go around level par?

I actually struck the ball really well for the most part, but didn't score very well. Hard to pin point the reason for this, but I suspect losing 6 balls from the tee could be it. Most of them weren't the worst tee shots I could have hit - on the first hole I remembered that cutting the corner was the optimum drive. I didn't want to be too greedy, so aimed straight expecting a cut, but thinking if I don't get one I can just lay up for my second which is very acceptable on a par five. Turns out straight isn't an option with the driver - ball OB. Similar situation on the 4th hole, I expected a cut, but thought if it didn't come I'll hit the hill and it will roll back down. It went straight over the hill, another ball OB. 12th hole - I pulled it a mile left. It was a terrible shot. If I was the ball I wouldn't want to be found by me. 13th hole, I topped a 6 iron into bushes. There's no preparing for that. 14th hole I remembered that I needed to aim left of the white marker so I did that. But not far enough and I found a bush at the top of the valley. So I aimed further left next time to the line I needed to take, but I sliced it and found that same bush.

But as an eternal optimist (deluded fool), I thought I played pretty well overall. I think I hit the driver 20 times in the round and on only 1 occasion did I hit it a long way from where I intended. Looking at it like that it was very good driving. Looking at 6 lost balls from the tee, less so. The greens were sanded which made putting tricky, but I'm not sure it cost me any shots. I was probably a bit too conservative with my clubbing all day - mainly hitting the backs of greens and going long a few times.

The two lads I played with did very well. Two high handicappers with very different scorecards. You'd think if a guy off 34 keeps the scratches off the card he'll have a great score. But he scored on 17 holes and only had 38 points. Obviously 38 points is a great score, but I'm going to start paying closer attention to him in future to see where he's dropping shots. He's a decent striker of the ball, doesn't suffer from big blow ups but the handicap isn't flying down. I'm wondering if he's being too defensive on the course. Staying a mile away from trees, but turning par 4s into par 5s as a result. And laying up when there's just no need to. I'm pretty sure he layed up on one hole because he didn't want to take on a carry over water. But the carry was about 125m. I'm actually frustrated looking at him, because he'd love to be lower and I just can't see how he isn't! The other lad was off 28 for the day. He can really hit the ball when he connects but I can definitely see why he's not coming down! He had 4 pars on the front 9 and only 16 points. On the 10th hole he decided to take on the green - about 230m of carry over water. Best shot I've ever seen him hit I'd say - 15 feet left for eagle. He two putted to bring him back to level handicap. Parred the next, so after 11 holes, he'd had 5 pars and a bird playing off 28. And he finished with 33 points overall. He's a tricky one to fix too, because if he loses a drive he might get thick and duff everything for 3 holes. If he could keep his head, swing within himself a bit more and learn to take his medicine he'd definitely come down. 17th was a good example of where he goes wrong - sliced his drive into the trees. If he punched out he'd leave himself 150m to the green or something. Instead he takes out the fairway wood hoping it magically stays low enough to not hit the branches and that he hits it straight enough to not hit a trunk. He got away with it and ended up where a good punch out would have gone, but it really was a terrible choice of shot. It was an absolute refusal to accept that going into the trees has cost him a shot. A well struck fairway wood would have hit the branches. The only way he'd have gotten close to the green would have been a mishit daisycutter that ran up the fairway.

Maybe he was playing for the mishit?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Haven't played a massive amount since getting back from holidays in mid August, and it showed over the time. Where I'd been hitting consistently in the low 80s range (HI around 6ish) I've been shooting in the high 80s range. Drifted from 5.9 to 6.3 over the period.

Then hit my stride again last Saturday at my home club, Castlewarden, shooting a 77, 38 points, 6 bogeys, 11 pars, 1 birdie. Went out with no real expectations, was good weather, so happy to be out with my Dad and Godfather, just golfing.

Putter really kept me in it. Just 26 putts, 11 1-putts, 1 3-putt (from about 70ft). Going by arccos, I gained +3.4 strokes vs a scratch golfer with the putter, so one of those days that I probably won't repeat again for a long time. Only 33% GIR and chipped relatively well, which likely contributes to the putting stats

No change in handicap as I was dropping a 77 off my record, so a well timed return to form.

It's a funny game golf. Was a week late for the improvement unfortunately, timed the boards Captains day badly 😭

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Played for the first time in a month this week in Stackstown. 28 points, playing off 36.

Very rusty to begin with, first tee there was a bit of a crowd watching and of course I duffed my tee shot straight into the bushes. 😂 Having not played in a month it took about 4 holes for me to warm up.

I managed to par the 15th which was the highlight of my round, had a good chance at a birdie but chickened out of the putt and left it short.

Same old story for me really, scoring way better on the back 9 where I picked up 18 of my 28 points. I arrived in time for a good warm up but was a bit disappointed to find out that while Stackstown does have a practice range they don't provide practice balls, so you've to hit your own balls and then walk down the range and collect them. Wasn't going to be doing that, so had to content myself with a few net shots. Obviously didn't work.

Overall though it's a nice course, but I don't think there's a single shot on that course where the ball is not above or below your feet. Not a big fan of the shared tee-boxes (5th and 8th hole are the same teebox with the 8th tee hitting over the top of the 5th), and the fact that the 3rd tee box is hitting over the top of the 2nd green. It must slow things down a lot during weekend competitions, a lot of waiting for people to move.

Also seems like the Club Pro at Stackstown has left the club and it seems to have happened pretty abruptly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Played in an open comp in Co. Meath GC on Monday. Since starting golf almost 2 years ago, this is the least I've practiced. Haven't been going to the range or even hitting putts on the mat at home and then I wonder why I don't play well. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Jumped out of the car Monday morning and straight onto the first tee without any practice on the range beforehand. Miserable rainy conditions too, so I wasn't very optimistic.

I played very well, for me, on the front 9. Driver was behaving itself for the most part and my putting was the best it's been in a long while. Front 9 consisted of 2 pars, 5 bogies, 1 double, and a good birdie on the 8th. 6 over for 24 points on the front and I went into the back 9 feeling good.

In true high handicapper form, I then proceeded to hook my drive OB on the 10th. The ball left the golf course never to return and probably ended up in someone's kitchen across the road.

I spent the next 4 holes wrestling with my umbrella holder and cursing myself for buying it from Ali Express instead of McGuirks. And it was all downhill from there.

The only highlight from the back 9 was on the par 4, 15th. I decided to play smart and take 3 wood off the tee which I promptly topped 100 yards, leaving me 215yards into a green that I couldn't see. I pulled out my hybrid and announced I was going to cut it around the corner, up the hill, and onto the green. My playing partners rightfully thought I was insane and got the popcorn out to watch me throw the hybrid into the trees. For once, I actually hit the exact shot I had drawn up in my mind. I struck the life out of the ball and as I watched it start to cut in the air, I swear I could hear a choir singing. I saw Chubbs from Happy Gilmore waving at me through the clouds. A single tear rolled down @dan_ep82 cheek as the ball landed pin high on the left fringe, leaving me an easy 2 putt par. Maybe a bit dramatic but you get my point.

I then doubled 16, 17 & 18. Easy come, easy go.

All in all, 39 points for the day and the handicap dropped another shot to 18.9 which is exactly 10 shots dropped since May of this year so I've nothing to complain about really. Happy with the progress. On to the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

That was just a tear I missed from the tee shot on the 10th, was a good shot though

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I never post in this thread except for when I do something amazing and unashamedly I admit that today is no exception.

On Sunday, I won my clubs Scratch Matchplay, a competition that I have sponsored myself for the last 10 years. It's my first time to win it and I'm overjoyed. For me, this is my Captains Prize as I'll probably never win that. I started the year playing off 7 and now I'm down to 5.0 so I have been in good form this year in general but in the matchplay, I have been exceptional. In the semi-finals, I beat the best player in the club who plays off +3 on the 19th hole. We were both +1 for the 18 holes and I was fortunate he caught a bad break on the 19th that let me win it with a par. In the final, I beat a scratch golfer. I was level par for the first 15 holes and 2 up but then I let him back in as he won 16 & 17. I settled myself back down though and made a great up and down on the last to win it. It'll never happen again and I'm more than savouring the moment. For once, the trophy is getting to stay with me this year instead of me giving it to someone else 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Savage play Rikand! Great to hear you're back! I have a scratch matchplay final in my club tomorrow that I'm looking forward to. I'll try channel some of your positivity for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Good luck tomorrow Road Runner. Be great to get a boards.ie doubleup 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Marty1983

40pts with two scratches and my first hole in one!!

• Advertisement

Funnily enough, I ended up carding an 88 for 33 on the hottest day of the year after my last post. It was such a sense of relief and satisfaction to break 90 again. I think forgetting my Garmin watch and not seeing the score helped. Hadn't played or practiced in two weeks due to holidays.

I didn't believe the score as I had 3x triples and figured I'd have to be low 90s at best. A snap pull on a 7i iron from the fairway that disappeared into trees, never to be seen again. The 2nd was from a drive, with a big straight push that the slope kicked just ob of the fence. The 3rd was on par 5 18th where I thumped my best drive of the day a mile and it rolled into a fairway bunker. A bit unlucky as it rested just under the lip. Took medicine and had 170 for a full 7i (ball going almost a full club longer in the heat). Solid hit but just faded to the slope on the right of the green only to rest against the wooden fence of the drain. Had to take an unplayable the other side of the water and flubbed the pitch. The rest was elementary but I was happy enough despite the annoying finish. Had a few nice shots that were as good as I can probably do. Hit a 3i cut under trees on par 5 14th to leave short pitch & tap in bird. Found the drain on par 5 16th. From the drop, I cut a 7w from rough 215 up to the elevated green. Two putted from 15ft for a very satisfying par. So plenty of good stuff too.

Followed that up with 90 on Sunday of the same w/e. The most pleasing part of this was my first birdie on our 2nd (200 yd par three). My 5i pitched in the centre of the green and rolled pin high 2 feet. A 4 putt on the first, too many doubles and two triples on the back 9 but glimpses of good stuff in between.

Hadn't played since that Sunday due to injury. Did something to my knee in the gym that I only felt the following morning putting on my socks! Tbh it's probably wear and tear rather than a bad movement. It seemed like inflammation or possibly a meniscus problem. So I'd been doing some rehab exercises in between and the physio gave a green light for golf yesterday. No sharp pains and some improvement over the week so he was happy to go ahead. No MRI was needed based on that feedback so I was relieved. With the caveat of any sharp pains or discomfort meant pulling the pin. The physio was more concerned about walking on hills or uneven terrain rather than the golf itself.

Played relatively well and while I had some minor discomfort walking, it was the same as what I'd experienced in the previous few days. I was tired after playing but not concerned and the knee held up well. Posted an 87 for 33 points and was very pleased with my play overall. A loose double on the first was the only bad hole until the 16th when I lost two drives wide right. Probably put this down to tiredness but it was frustrating as I was on course to play my hc for the first time in months. A loose drive on 17 and two poor chips meant a double. Over-cooked a wedge to bogey the last. Still, it was the best golf I played in ages and had tried to play somewhat physically within myself at the same time. Swinging the club felt fine, marking and picking up the ball was a little nervous.

I feel my ball striking is more than satisfactory but wedges and chipping are leaking 2-4 shots a round. Also, the driver randomly goes from being my biggest strength to wtf was that big wiping slice and where did it come from? When my knee is better I'll take that to the range in time. For now I'm focused on making a good swing, smooth tempo and rotating the body fully.

The good golf is there along with plenty of the bad but relieved to break 90 again. I'm just hoping the knee rehabs well so I can continue to play through winter and go to the gym.

Jeckyll and Hyde for me, the last 4 rounds have contained by 2 best ever score and my two worst ever scores since the new system came in. If anyone was looking at my profile they would think two lads were sharing the one account

Had 20 points for 9 holes yesterday in the pissing rain. Format was 4bbb and thankfully quite quick in the crap conditions. Placing everywhere needed given the rain over the last week.

Usually I'm a terrible player in the wet. The layers being restrictive and messing around with gear etc disrupts my rhytmn.

Funnily enough I didn't hit a fairway or green from the tee. Short game okay but my irons were very good and putted well despite the recently forked and sanded greens.

I think we've one more counting comp ahead and then it's all winter setup. Hopefully the weather behaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

After not having played for 2 months I played twice over the weekend. The first was a matchplay comp which should have been played in the summer but for whatever reason is being played now. Unfortunately I lost on the 19th having been 2 up on the 16th. Threw it away really but inconsistency and not having played for a few weeks really killed me throughout the round. Especially on the short game.

Then yesterday our Christmas Hamper competition, an 18 hole stableford. Again just wildly inconsistent. 3 lost drives, 3 doubles separate to that, 3 birdies and then a mix of pars and bogies to come away with 33 points. Between now and the start of the season next year I just need to get playing a bit more regularly and figure out the things I need to work on to tidy up the game. Driving consistency being the first.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Got in a last (possibly 2nd last) round on Friday, and shot 30 points over 12 holes. Left a few shots out there as well, missing a birdie putt on 10 from 3 feet and scratching the 16th.

Played really well, which is great considering I haven't hit a ball since the Jug.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Well played Kiith, what did they have you off for the 12 holes?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Played Friday before the Xmas with a delicate injury which forced me to swing with a little less exuberance.

Played front 9 one over for 24 pts. This I put down to the latest u tube video and said injury.

Started back 9 par.bogey.

Then carnage. 5 pts from last 7 holes.

Good ball striking continued but I think golf just happened also 🤔 .

Looking forward to getting out over next few days.

When you have got strike ,there's no better feeling.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Winter league has been running for a couple of months now. Had a few ok rounds and some forgettable ones too.

Turned in 32 points for 15 holes today. My only scratch was a big snapper OB on a par 3. A couple of loose three putts and chips offset by 2x birdies. There was also a terrible double from bladed chip just off the green when it was easier to get up/down for par.

While the short game has been awful lately, it was fine today apart from that double. Irons going very well aside from the snapper. Approach shots decent too and had 9/15 GIRs.

Happy to close out the year with a good round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

12 hole comp at the weekend after no golf for about 9 weeks and played really well until the last 2 holes. Had 24 points after 10 holes and only came away with 25. Perfect drives on both the last two holes as well but over shot green from 120 out on first and clipped overhead branch on the second. Hitting it nicely though so still happy.....ish!

Advertisement