Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the etiquette here??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,704 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I'm forever reminded of the poor chap at a pre drinks for a Debs a few years back, who was irreversibly dosed after 4 bottles of that, spent the majority of the night slow dancing with the porcelain lady and his date rode someone else in the hotel room he paid for.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

They really pushed the advertising of “real pear juice” when it was first launched. After the horrific mess it made they withdrew it and relaunched with a “new improved flavour” which just replaced the fruit juice with sugar.

I know it was bad for those who suffered but it was incredibly funny to be around when that first batch was released.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Baba Yaga

yeah i remember that...lads drinking down a few of those and then the expression on their faces when it hit coupled with the rush to the crapper...,the cleaning crew in the local threatened strike action if they didnt stop selling it..

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

that’d turn you off the drink for life in fairness

edit: but like emmet said in fairness it was funny to hear the stories from the poor craters who suffered first hand. Not funny to have your date ride someone else in your hotel room though.

• Advertisement

I vaguely knew both of them, he lost the battle but won the war, happily married with a kid and a house, she's still a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,618 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Lads, I encountered a textbook etiquette situation the other day at work.....and to be honest I'm not sure if I dealt with it correctly

If there had been a 24 emergency etiquette helpline I'd have called it by now.

Basically, I was in one of the traps, just finishing up (all good, no drama) and buckling my belt when a fella enters the bathroom at what sounded like high speed.

I braced for the inevitable clattering of the neighboring trap door and potential assault of at least four of my senses...but the fella was just going for a slash, albeit one that sounded like one of those Karcher yokes you'd clean the driveway with.

And then it happened.....I heard the loudest fart since my days on the school bus in rural Mayo in the late 90's.

I would classify somewhere on the ripper and/or rasper spectrum but with exaggerated tonal depth and length. It seemed to last for 5 minutes but in reality it was probably somewhere in the 10 seconds zone.

In fairness to the fella, I'd say it caught him off guard as much as me....to give the benefit of the doubt, I'd say he was attempting a low grade power effort but simply lost control of it.

So anyway I was left in a bit of a conundrum once the dust had settled so to speak....

Do I...

1) Wait it out and keep schtum in the trap until he exits ?

2) Leg it out the door like Usain Bolt and avoid any potential aftershocks and/or yer man spontaneously combusting at the urinal ?

3) Saunter out of the jacks and offer my heartfelt congratulations on what was frankly an epic if slightly disconcerting event?

In the end, I attempted to make a low key subtle exit (he was still wazzing away)....as I nipped towards the sink, our eyes met for a split second but I could see his deep shame even in that glimpse...like a dog that's come in the gate covered in cow shyte... a different fella might have owned the moment and taken pride in what he'd done but this guy is an accountant I think (which probably explains a lot)

I've doubted my actions in the 48 hours since the incident....on reflection there may have been no happy path out of that bathroom for either of us.

Would be interested to hear similar experiences or other learned wisdoms and observations.

I would consider farting at the urinal not only socially acceptable, but actively encouraged, better out than in.

Oh yeah....don't get me wrong....I would traditionally be a strong advocate of such activity...if it's some rando dude turbo farting in a pub jacks or whatever then there's no issue whatsoever.....

But the location of this incident (ie. work) adds a layer of complexity to the whole situation imho.

It's certainly not a matter for HR but this is potentially a grey area on the social awkwardness scale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Tea_Lover

this thread is hilarious tbf

bravo chaps and ladies

First off, you need to know that you did nothing wrong. The other lad, we can only assume, over-calculated when, subjecting you to that aural assault, he let one go. The acoustics of the jacks would only have “amplified” the sound.

There’s no right or wrong answer here. Waiting it out would be the safest bet in a workplace environment but how long are you expected to wait? I, personally, feel that it was really up to yer man to defuse the “situation” with a smile and a nod. By not taking ownership he gave secondhand, or vicarious, embarrassment which, in itself, is poor etiquette.

A ripper like that should be celebrated, not shrouded in shame. Especially if it came without any nasty smell. Something everyone can have a laugh about.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Agreed. The deliverer of the bottom burp can also lighten the mood by making a humorous quip such as “a confident appeal by Federer”, “get out and walk you bastard”, “a bit more choke and it would have started”, “name that tune for 10 thousand” etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Never look another man in the eyes or speak to him when coming out of the shitter.......dont faff about looking in the mirror, wash your hands and get out of there and let the man fester in his own juices....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Yes, in hindsight there was a fleeting window of time where one or both of us could have filled the void with an "Up ya boya!" style exultation but hesitation won out and doomed us to a very uncertain future.

I might give the VHI Employee Assistance Program crowd a call later on and see if they have any suggestions...can't focus at all today tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Slideways

By jaysus, you could pin the tail of a donkey on that one..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

'Get out and walk' is my favourite reposte to my own posterior.

”I think that barrel needs changing” after discharging a particularly malty brew.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Baba Yaga

my latest one is 'jeez,the greens will probably want to cull me too after that one'

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I wonder if it had been him riding another one in the hotel while the Debs date was getting sick would they have married or would he have been blanked for the rest of life. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,095 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

“Ring Electric Ireland, get yer hoop connected to the grid”

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Grouptherapy

Some may find this a useful reference.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

No colour/aroma/girth/length distinctions?? Amateurs 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Grouptherapy

Been having a bit of “trouble”, of late. Not sure what’s going on but my “alignment” seems to be out of whack.

Taking fairly standard dumps, not too hard, not too soft, but when it comes to the “cleanup” I’m getting hit twice. The hole and an area on the barse-ward spokes. It seems that the hair is getting in the way. Keeps happening.

It’s not nice. A shower sees it right but I’ve taken to using the kids’ toilet wipes to sort it at home. Out and about I have to rely on regular, low quality, paper. Not the best, as you can imagine.

I took matters into my own hands last night and went at the thicket with a scissors. Double mirror, and all that. Didn’t wet shave, for obvious reasons. That’s a mistake you only make once, like “trying” ear wax. This heat isn’t great with a clippers either, standing up too quickly can feel like those snapping gates in the old ‘Prince of Persia’ computer game coming together.

The problem has been solved, for now, but I’m concerned that once things regrow the “issue” will resurface. Time will tell, of course, but for now it’s been straightened out. Fingers crossed it was just a once off, a culmination of heat, humidity and new boxer shorts.

Still, weekend is off to a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭You the man

Veet is the answer spice.. Just don't use lashings of it..

Simples!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I thought Veet was what Mrs Bendar used to remove her 'ronnie' ahead of date night at the Golf Club dinner dance with Brendan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭You the man

All I can say is, I had a positive experience. Obviously I'm not dim and didn't apply it to me ferret..

No worse than the 'deep heat in the underpants prank' by the teammates.

Advertisement