Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,122 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It does appear they're making more of an effort to separate HEDT and workstation, unlike Intel.

But my current machine might be on its last legs, and I may not be able to wait that long.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,122 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

https://www.dexerto.com/entertainment/linus-tech-tips-youtube-channel-hacked-crypto-elon-musk-scam-2094461/

The LTT Youtube channel got themselves hijacked by crypto spammers, a little embarrassing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,942 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I just don't understand how developers let games out like this. Do they not have testers or something?

That Last Of Us is absolutely awfully optimized. Was really looking for this game as well

Thanks god for Steam Refunds

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Is it just me or have the price of 1440p monitors gone absolutely mental?

Been thinking about going back from ultra wide to a 27” for fps games, and it looks like everything’s jumped up a few hundred quid now

The new Intel HEDT rollout appear to be a bit disjointed. There's motherboards and barebones servers available in the usual places, but no sign of any of the actual CPUs. So if you feel inclined you can easily drop thousands on a W9 ready server just to have it sit there as a paper weight for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Mate bought a Dark Rock 4 Pro but it's a TR4 model. Doesn't include a bracket for mounting to LGA 1700.

Can i order a bracket only from the manufacturer? Would it be quicker via Amazon or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

TR4-specific coolers are not compatible with other sockets due to the size of their coldplates.

Send it back for a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I see you're selling your NCase @K.O.Kiki . Do you have another ITX case in mind?

Went back to the NR200P though I did buy a Silver Soul 135... that I might have to send back. Temps are woeful.

• Advertisement

Was putting a friend's PC together late last night. While I was assembling he was making a windows boot drive. It didn't show up in the BIOS when I booted the PC post post. Did he do something wrong or did I?

No matter the contents, filesystem, partition type etc, the hardware should still be identified in the BIOS normally.

That doesn't mean there isn't a bunch of caveats though. What kind of drive is it? Is it in a slot that needs to be enabled because it shares PCIe lanes?

Or was it just a USB drive to install the OS from?

Thanks for the reply! With the clarity of a cup of coffee and a bit of a think. I was actually seeing the USB in the BIOS....

It was quite late at that stage and I'd been on the road most of the day. I think tiredness (it was 11:30 pm) and the size of the USB drive put me off. I'll pop up to him later today and finish the job. Will post pictures later too.

So if it's a USB device, you should either see the device ID and name, or a generic name such as mass storage device, in hardware terms at least.

In software terms, if there's a bootable image on it, it should normally show as a choice in the BIOS's boot menu listing. That's if the image was correctly written to it. The Windows Media Creation Tool should make it fairly simple to do so if it wasn't already used.

Just an update. The USB was showing up in the BIOS but I wasn't able to boot from it. I had to adjust some settings in the ASUS Z690-P BIOS to allow me to boot from the USB.

Legacy USB Support > Disabled

OS Type > Windows UEFI Mode

Once I did that it was all good.

I also noted that during windows 11 installation I had to do a little work around to allow it to install without an internet connection (we didn't have a wired connection and the WiFi antenna wasn't working at this point).

On the network select screen hit shift+F10, type OOBE\BYPASSNRO. PC will restart and you will have the option to select "I don't have an internet connection" when asked to pick a network.

Another aside. He's really happy with the build in the Corsair 4000d. But did say he wouldn't mind a few lights... I was thinking of getting a couple of magnetic LED strips and just connecting them to the mobo RGB headers. Will that allow the mobo/Asus software to control them?

Ah, the mess that is RGB.

The mobo may have two types of RGB header, 5v and 12v for aRGB and RGB respectively. So you'll need to check what's there to begin with. Then you'll need to make sure any RGB leds are suitable for that. Then you'll meet the mess that is the infamous trash of Asus Armoury Crate. Alternately there's other RGB software which may work, such as OpenRGB or SignalRGB. I had no luck with them, maybe you will.

MS are addining a universal RGB control system to Win11 soon-ish, which may help to alleviate some of the mess.

Intel HEDT review

Text review

500W power draw 🫠

I've secured the Asus W790 Sage to build mine, but there's no sign of the RAM or W9 34xx CPUs yet.

I've already bought the wrong RAM, as I learned the hard way that DDR5 RDIMMs and UDIMMs aren't cross compatible, and W790 is RDIMM only.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Great CPU to have during a Irish winter. As in it's cold but doesn't get that cold so if you had that CPU running in a room you could heat the room without having to use a heater. 🤔 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 27,898 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It'd be cheaper to run an electric heater though 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Homelander

If I ever feel the room getting cold, I just whack the resolution scale up to 200% to push my 7900XT to max, does the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭xtal191

Wheres the best places to buy monitors these days apart from Amazon?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

I bought mine from Caseking back around the end of January, even with the extra delivery charge it worked out a bit cheaper than Amazon and they actually had the monitor I wanted in stock .

• Registered Users Posts: 53,942 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Anyone have emulator's running on there PC?

Would love to play Tears of the Kingdom on my PC

Yes, I have been playing TotK on Ryujinx. It's running pretty well, but still might need a little bit of love in terms of frame rate/resolution/texture mods.

I watched a vid linked below, gives all the steps you need. The game files are available in the discord.

https://youtu.be/Wie2ljuAAmo

Haven't tried Yuzu which is the other emulator but I'm pretty happy for now with Ryujinx. 5800x3D/6900xt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,526 ✭✭✭Inviere

I hate monitor shopping! More so because Samsung seems to have blurred the options with their G7 naming schemes. Can anyone enlighten me on the differences between these two G7's? I think one is slightly newer, with Smart TV features...is it the BG700? Why would the AG700 be more expensive though if this were the case?

Samsung Odyssey G7 LS28BG700EPXXU

and...

Samsung Odyssey G7 LS28AG700NUXXU

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

First one has HDR10+, second one doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Is anyone in Wicklow area? I would need help with checking DDR4 laptop memory.

Following on from my previous complaints about HEDT options, I went and built a Xeon W9 based system, with a 36 core 3475X. Although I did consider a build log thread for it, it seemed a bit too much like thanks whoring/work so I didn't bother.

For the most part it's been fairly painless. The first 5 minutes though were filled with panic though. Upon first power on, it gave no video output, and a flashing warning LED came on. The manual listed it as the catastrophic CPU LED. Turned out all it was doing was defaulting to HDMI, and not the plugged in display port, and the flashing LED was the one to show the on-board BMC was working, which some genius though was a good idea to place the LED for just 2mm away from the catastrophic failure one.

I did compromise on the NVME drive though. Despite PCIe 5 ones being officially released, no where has stock of them, so I went with a PCIe 4 Samsung 980 instead. I can revisit that when full speed PCIe 5 ones finally appear.

Software wise, there's a few hiccups. There's no software that can properly manage the fan speeds. That's the price to be paid for a nice and new platform. Some of the science apps I'm running for PrimeGrid seem a bit weirded out by the core count though. Some of them can load up the CPU properly, but others claim to start 64 threads, yet only load up 8 threads with work. I tried looking for a way to disable hyperthreading to see if that improved things, but Intel don't seem to support this option lately, arguing that OS scheduling should be good enough now to not need this.

3dMark gives an appalling score, as it doesn't reconigse the hardware. I did get a Steam achievement for that though, as some meagre compensation.

If anyone saw my past thread on the mysterious lockups I was having with my X299 based machine, the same GPU and PSU are in use in this machine, and show no issues at all, which seems to further support the old board was dying.

• Advertisement

Advertisement