Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,074 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I've seen the name mentioned, but it's not one I've tried so far. I've bunch of small bits to still do, including recabling fans, maybe rearranging the water cooling reservoir etc, so testing more software options like Argus is still to come.

Edit: Argus didn't work, but it did at least make the effort to politely tell me my CPU wasn't supported.

Post edited by Spear on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Any good deals on 1000w PSUs going around? I've started a new build and am buying bit by bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I noticed this was on discount. Not sure it is a good deal !

Has anyone moved onto ATX 3.0 for the 40 series cards? Looking to upgrade for Starfield

MSI MPG A1000G PCIE5 Power Supply Unit, UK Plug - 1000W, 80 Plus Gold Certified, Fully Modular ATX 3.0, PCIe 5.0 GPU Support, Japanese 105°C Capacitors, 0% RPM Mode, Flat Cables - 10 Year Warranty

https://amzn.eu/d/bI1qFn4

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Great to see my PSU in the single rail top tier on that site.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the recommendation, bought the be quite pure power 12 👌

Fractal Design Terra.

So tiny. SO TINY! (10.4L)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,865 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Anybody ever experience a possible routing issue on your broadband connection with a work place split tunnel VPN?

So I have an Eir connection and a VPN to a data center in Dublin

Off the VPN no issues with Dublin data center.

VPN client works with other data center outside Dublin

Tethered to my mobile data and have no issues

When on the Dublin VPN, I get a terrible speeds and my ping tests are dropping constantly

It has to be an Eir routing issue at the moment as no one else in the office is experiencing this

I can only imagine how hard this is going to be to troubleshoot this with eir :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Homelander

What's a reasonable price for a 2nd hand 2080Ti these days? Asus ROG if model makes any difference.

Ah, that's a bit pessimistic. Looking on Adverts just now they still sell for a good bit more than that, especially for good models. I might just keep it, but was just curious. Downgraded from 7900XT to 2080Ti, but it makes very little difference in the games I play, in alot of ways I was wasting the 7900XT at 1440P as I only play Overwatch and Enlisted.

Though I was just playing the new Starship Troopers, horrendously punishing. When stuff goes crazy on screen I was dropping to 20fps at 1440 medium. I swear games these days, optimisation just doesn't seem to be a thing anymore.

I shudder to think what the general playerbase is getting if I'm getting 20fps on a 2080ti.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Coyler

I have to ask, can you actually search for sold items on Adverts now? Because I'd be wondering who is paying more than €250 for used 2080TIs when brand new 6700XTs and 3070 start coming into focus once you hit the €300+ mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Nope, it used to be possible and then they silently got rid of sold listings. It's terrible, you can't see what happened on any listing even a second after it completes. No way to see what prices people are actually paying - which is the only thing that matters. Listing prices are silly and not remotely representative of actual selling prices.

I actually contacted Adverts and asked why on earth would they make such a change. I got this response:

"Thank you for your email. This is something new that we have had to introduce due to issues with Google in showing ads from searches that, when the searcher opens the ad, they were etiher sold or withdrawn or as Google refers to it, outdated content.

We have tweaked it a little since so that you can access your own sold/withdrawn ads and are taking this as feedback on looking at all sold/withdrawn ads and sending it back to our product and developer teams now.

If there is anything else we can assist with, please do not hesitate to contact us."

Yeah, Adverts can certainly make very compelling arguments for removing the ability to search for sold items but I think we can all arrive at our own conclusion as to why.

As for asking prices on Adverts, I'd really take the vast majority of the asking prices with a healthy dose of salt. Some around here even use the term "adverts tax" to justify increased asking prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

I always thought the adverts tax is to avoid the absolutely stupid lowballs that people will post. If you post something for what you actually want for it, you'll have to deal with a load of time wasters.

Thats certainly a theory. I've seen scant evidence of it working but of course mileage may vary. From my experience I'd argue that it puts off actual buyers and all you are left with are time wasters. Think about it for a second, you are asking a buyer to recognise that you are deliberately over pricing what you are selling, then to haggle you down quite a bit from your asking price on a part that he or she has no come back on and assume you will hold no grudge about it. It's risky enough scenario even without adding that complication.

Don't mean to offend anyone but "adverts tax" just appeared as motivated reasoning to me. Not saying I'm any better but merely saying what I see.

I think Kiko has the right of it. Go to CEX, note the cash/voucher price (howmuch.one isn't bad either even if US ebay metadata) and then cross reference with hagglezon/pc partpicker for brand new comparable parts (Loads of GPU or CPU tier lists and plenty of youtube videos horse racing parts) because any decent buyer is going to do the exact same.

Of course there is always a sucker who will pay over the odds but if you are fishing for suckers don't complain when they turn out to be unreliable.

This. You could post a 4090 for 500 and the first offer would probably be "380 and collect with cash"

I have seen cases where an item is for sale for a bargain, first person posts something along those lines, another person offers the asking immediately, and then the low-baller comes back offering the asking and says "I was here first"

I rarely buy GPU's 2nd hand unless they're just low-end cards as typically you can get all classes of cards at CEX for mostly reasonable prices with a 2 year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Really don't think the adverts tax is fishing for suckers though? As homelander said, posting something for what you actually want to sell it for is going to result in headaches on adverts.

It's just a fact of selling on adverts that people will lowball you by fantastic amounts. So you put your asking price higher, or just belligerently sit at a price until you get a bid you're happy with.

• Advertisement

To be fair the "fishing for suckers" line was too harsh.

Classic adverts.

"I can't pay your asking price because I wouldn't be able to re-sell it for enough profit"

https://www.adverts.ie/desktops/i5-8th-gen-computer/30703102

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

I get the feeling that a number of people are sitting on hardware that they thought they could make some money on. Second hand prices have been falling from their dizzying highs of only a few months ago and there are a lot of ads on adverts for months on end. It was a decent price for what the guy was offering (sold quickly as evidence of that) and I'm trying to understand what motivates the logic to ask someone to take a hit so you can make money.

In the process of putting a new build together finally, my 6700k has done me well 😊 doing an am5 build and am wondering about motherboards? I'm trying to go for a white asthetic and am looking at the ASRock x670e steel legend (https://www.caseking.de/en/asrock-x670e-steel-legend-amd-x670e-mainboard-sockel-am5-ddr5-mbar-412.html). Is there any reason to go more expensive/cheaper than this? I'd like a good quality board with the intention of upgrading the CPU over the next few years. As an aside, wtf is with am5 motherboard prices 😑

That board you linked looks decent and ticks all the boxes so I's say go with it.

have overclockers stopped shipping to eu and ireland? cant click on irish delivery anymore.

Probably; Caseking are their German parent anyway.

Debating what CPU to buy for a mostly gaming PC, will I get a 7600 / x and upgrade to a newer generation later or a 7800x3d. Moving from a 6700k so I'd assume I'll get a bump at 1440p with my 1080ti anyway.

Would love to get a GPU as well but that sector is such a shitshow, there's rumors regarding rx 7700/7800 so might wait and see what they do (can't say I'm all that hopeful)

• Advertisement

At 1080p the 7800X3D is up-to 20% faster than 7600. Plus you can cheap out on the RAM & mobo since timings/overclocking ability will barely matter.

Worth it IMHO

Advertisement