Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Well it depends vs the quoted specs. More importantly does it 'feel' better for your normal usage pattern? For decades I've been an early adopter with the price that often incurs literally and in time on investment even when 'right'. This round I bought a board with 3x gen 5 M2 slots so I do believe in the tech. I just have not seen compelling evidence of reasonable use yet of the capabilities, are you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Tbh I haven't noticed any difference yet but I haven't really tested it with games or opening programs. I'm still setting up the computer.

I have no idea about DDR5. I was lazy this last week after ordering and never bothered to read any forums. I have a lot of reading and research to do as I have no idea what settings are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Personally I completely agree with GN on this, but it is unfortunate to see what was at least on the surface a group of friendly competitors coming to this. Inevitable I guess as LTT increased in value so far and fell into the too-big-to-fail trap for content direction.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I thought auctioning off the cooler prototype was a particularly bad mess up. Same goes for not taking off the plastic protective cover from the mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

Hard to refute anything Steve is saying here. The response by Linus has been particularly disappointing. LMG is clearly barrelling forward at a pace that's too high. 20 odd videos per week, insanity. I'm subbed to the main LTT channel, none of the side channels so missed the mouse debacle, a bit of a shocker to be sure.

• Advertisement

And here's GN's response to the Linus response (first 13 mins of the video) - it's a good watch:

I'm subbed to LTT also but rarely see their videos appearing in my feed. Wouldn't be a fan of Linus himself anyway even if I had the time to watch their content these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

After three weeks, two motherboard replacements from amazon.de. My new built PC is finally built. Absolute pain in the hole from start to finish.

If I was do it all all over again, I'd keep to the same brand for everything, so everything would work/connect seamlessly. Trying to use the Lian Li RGB controller to control the RGB while using NZXT CAM control the rad fans based on liquid temps took forever to figure out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Very nice .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,354 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

For anyone not bothered to watch here is the chapter by chapter TLDW of that video

PR blah blah blah

PR blah blah blah

PR blah blah blah

PR blah blah blah

PR blah blah blah

PR blah blah blah

PR blah blah blah

PR blah blah blah

PR blah blah blah

Linus pretends to kind of apologise while blaming everyone else and is still offended at being called out so pretty much negates all previous PR blah

PR blah blah blah

Jesus, her follow up tweets to that are beyond damning. Her experiences with upper management sound extremely toxic.

Still reading what she posted here, there's a LOT. This will be so, soo much bigger than the Bilet Labs thing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I think there are a few things that led LMG to this end

• Not being able to recognise that a manic workaholic who literally makes his entire life his job, is not the person who should set the tone for how a large workplace operates
    • Not having anyone with enough clout to step in and and recognise the difference between the founder "pushing a vision despite the naysayers" and being "blinkered to valid criticism"
    • Not having a HR function in a large organisation
    • Spreading into a "media empire" from a "scrappy youtuber" without having any support structures in place
    • Burning millions on a speculative "pivot" into an area that is very technical, requires attention to detail, and they have no meaningful previous experience in.
      • Thereby putting immense pressure on every other part of an already stretched organisation to generate the funding to keep the company afloat.
    • Having someone in charge who is actively averse to recognising fault or failure.

I was never an avid watcher, and I placed LTT firmly into the entertainment category of "Linus Consumer Electronics Hot Takes" rather than anything else. But you could definitely see the pressure and the cracks showing over the last year or so, and Linus's behaviour as a company leader and owner was exposed multiple times before this, simply by letting him open his mouth and speak.

I think GN were pretty exemplary in their handling of this as it evolved. They first set out their stall with the whole warranty situation, and explained that they would have to treat LTT as another tech vendor due to its immense merch sales, putting personal feelings aside. I thought their video on that was great because they went through why "trust me bro" wasn't acceptable, why LTT's own hipocracy ("you can't trust big companies but you can trust me bro") was a problem, and very enlightening was a very simple point: LTT's product development division for its own internal merch was larger than some of the tech companies they were reviewing (and criticising!). At that point, you cannot at the same time claim "oh I'm just a scrappy youtuber trying to scratch out a corner in the world with my vision" and also give out that a company like Scythe or some tiny boutique PC builder isn't doing a good enough job on QC or something else. They even stated they contacted LTT to give them a heads up because the relationship between the companies/people would be impacted, which was the responsible thing to do. Equally, their recent video explaining why they didn't reach out was also entirely valid: they had moved on from the "we're all part of the youtube community together here" to "hey guys you are now a big tech merch retailer so we have to start treating you like this from now on". I suspect Linus' saltiness on this is more to do with him not really "hearing" what he was being told at that point and assuming that things were still pretty much as-was.

LTT is trying to get into hardcore tech reviewing at a time when GN is trying to move away into actual journalism. Unfortunately, LTT's journey is a shoddy mess and GN absolutely has learned to walk before running on the journalism bit. The two journeys have collided, and the result is... what it is. Excellent work from them.

Holy **** they actually did an LTT Store plug in the middle of their apology.

Yeah GN did a great job as always, very objective.

Linus should have taken that 100 million offer and go live on a beach for the rest of his life.

Biggest issue with LTT is that fundamentally it is a small family company (husband and wife owned, husband ceo, wife hr) but grew huge. Why would anybody else want to put in the effort that the owners do, when they don't get the rewards.

I saw a leak of their company/staff handbook, and it has things in it like no relationships between staff in same division, spouses will not be hired, etc which is weird when that's exactly what the senior management is. And also what I didn't think would apply in Canada, rules around annual leave (none accrued in first year, 2 weeks after that) and wage discussion (not allowed between staff). Typical anti-union, "pro-business" things.

There's an Irish lad who works there (I saw a video the other day and there was a guy in it for like a second wearing an Irish rugby t-shirt), wonder what his take is.

Strikes me as someone who genuinely would go insane if not working. Sad really.

Real whiff of control, micromanaging, and fear off those types of policies. Yikes.

• Advertisement

I did my part and unsubbed from all their channels. In hindsight I should have done this some time ago. The amount of filler produced is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Their Floatplane has now dipped below 37k subscribers from a high 42k not even 48hrs ago.

That's a 12% drop (at least $25k/month).

I wonder if the new CEO will oust Linus (same way Steve Jobs was removed from Apple).

Post edited by K.O.Kiki on

I think the linus-created problems are small beer compared to the allegations of workplace abuse, and from the sounds of it are spread across other senior people in the organisation. While linus was in charge, it shouldn't just be his head on the chopping block for that one if it turns out to be true.

Apparently the team meeting regarding the sexual harassment issue has been leaked. Linus and this new CEO cannot about be shocked by these allegations

https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/15t1mzn/mandatory_meeting_the_after_madisons_departure/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=ioscss&utm_content=1&utm_term=1

Sounds like a typical tech bro company, grew too quickly and never morphed into an actual corporation with staff, and acted like friends instead. Shame on Linus it seems, hard to see a way back for them without significant change (possibly with the removal of their writing manager - James - and Linus himself).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Part of the transitions that LTT is doing is to get away from Linus as the mainstay of the channel and company. For such a large organisation, the fact that it pivots around a single individual is a huge risk. They have always been one carcrash or GamersNexus video away from a significant revenue drop.

Linus has openly admitted in the past and its pretty evident that he has a bad case of Attention Deficit Disorder. When you have that, you tend to thrive in chaos as it mirrors your mental state. That can be a real advantage in situations that others would breakdown in.

I read Madisons tweets and I'm not surprised by some of the comments because while some people thrive in chaos, others will just go the opposite way and break down. A good working environment would have found a arrangement or split of duties that would suit all staff. But have the entire workforce rushed in this way, it creates a "Get it done" attitude. Getting it done, doesn't mean getting it done well. The worst thing with LTT is the fact that they really didn't need that rushed attitude in recent years, more staff would just mean more videos etc. Always pushing like the staff should mimic the owner.

The sexual assaults being swept in the rug though.... I know tech is dominated by men and LTT was primarily what I would consider a younger working environment. But that **** shouldn't ever fly and that response always comes from the top down.

Listening to that leaked post-Madison meeting, it doesn't shine a great light on James that's for sure. But it also echoes the overall tone of what's acceptable, and that's with Linus present too. James comment just makes the whole meeting feel like a box being ticked.

There was a video on reddit of one employee recounting that his interview consisted of linus asking him "do you like beastiality?". The level of unawareness is staggering. I am not sure how the Maidson situation will play out but I wouldn't be surprised by a variation of "I am shocked, SHOCKED, to find gambling in this establishment!"

• Advertisement

I'd say if the external investigation finds no damning evidence, this will die down and find its way quietly under the rug. Some internal processes and procedures will be changed and highlighted, one or two heads might be encouraged out the door after a while, and that'll be that.

If Madison's claims are able to be verified somehow, then the loss of jobs would be the least of the worries from those involved, but again, I'm not sure there'll be enough direct evidence for that outcome.

Advertisement