Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Very stingy. One thing that gets me is if I'm out with a mate, I buy the first round and on the 3rd or 5th pint he says "I'm done". So he gets out of a round.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,311 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I wouldn't care about 1 pint between good friends as they even out.

The worst are the ones who switch from a bottle of corona on their round to a G&T or the likes on your round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭antimatterx

It's not that it's one pint, its one pint more weeks than not. He's tactical about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,054 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Just say "thanks, I'll stick to buying my own drink" and problem sorted.

Now with card tapping, there's no fooling around with different monies and change etc.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 9,986 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Go for a tactical pee when ye arrive so he gets the first one and then turn the tables on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

He's so mean he'd have a tin of beans on a Tuesday so he can have a bubblebath on a friday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Yeah I thought so. I would never do that if it was the other way around. I think my friends just think im loaded so it doesnt matter, which isnt right, like I dont really care but I thought it was weird.

We probably had about 6 rounds id say, maybe more.

I know somebody on the extreme end of the stingy spectrum when it comes to posting something I requested, after cooperatively posting them tons of stuff. Wouldn’t put it past them to have sold my stuff on eBay 🤣 Not sure how much is meanness and how much is laziness tbh. Some people are just mé féin all the way, but in my experience most folk are fine. Except if they come from Cavan 😂

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

In the 70s my mother once got a cheapskate gaudy souvenir from a friend who had visited Spain on holiday. To say it didn’t fit into our home decor would be to put it mildly. It was a plastic decanter that was supposed to contain sherry (as per the label) but the sherry had already been consumed by said friend 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

not my story. seen it on redditt.

a woman got gift cards from her uncle for birthdays and christmass and when she went to use them she was told that each of them had been bought months before the gift and most of the money was already spent before he gave them to her.

total stinge but also an evil genious in a twisted sort of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 24,893 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

shop beside the gym, I sick of going in, paying 3.90 for two warm drinks 👶…the tills were busy, no staff around the floor so I press the button on the display inside the door… the fridges are turned on, as in plugged in, lights etc but the refrigeration features are off… must be to save money on the electricity… scabby fûckin tramps. Drinks warm and room temperature have been for a while…local off licence has two two liters for 4.35… here you get a litre total for 3.90 and not even chilled the scabby assholes….

might have to start bringing a cooler bag…

”state of the art retail convenience” on their social media..

State of that retail inconvenience is the reality 🧐

The most stingy person I ever knew was someone I very much loved, my Dad’s sister-in-law. Would never pay her round, ever, would weasel her way out of it. She had a great heart otherwise, just extremely mean when it came to little material things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 coffeebear95

My own Mother. Very generous with gifts, time and Christmas but in nearly 40yrs I don’t think I’ve ever seen her pay for a round in the pub or contribute to a dinner. Absolutely allergic to it.

People I know inherited a house and land after a relative died. They did some work around the house, they cut a hole in a hedge and needed to put up a gate there, they found a gate that was thrown in a field years ago, it is only about 50% of its original size, id say its 50 years old. how tight can you be, just buy a little gate ffs. I will try to get take a picture of it and upload it here. its pathetic, rusted into dust nearly. The family are known to be very tight, they were delighted when they got left everything in the will and were telling everyone "we got everything in the will" 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 13,333 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Card/phone tapping should be the new way of doing things. Great not having to carry a bag of shrapnel around. The only issue I have with it is it's not as foolproof and disaster resistant as hard cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Everyone in this thread that complains about winning something that is FREE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Working my way through this thread from the start. It’s a great read. Pity all the thanks were wiped when it moved to the new site.

Neighbour and friend of my parents. He’d be in his late 70’s now. Complete stinge. Always looking for something f for nothing.

His brother died a few years ago and he got all his clothes. Anyone else would keep quiet about it but he was bragging about how much he got and some of them still had the labels from M&S on.

About 20 years ago he pretended to my dad that he wanted an old car off him cos he really liked it. Dad sold it to him at cost. F¥€ker sold it on for profit a few weeks later.

Following year dad has another car for sale. Neighbour arrives around and asks about buying it.

Dad: it’s €x if want it

Skinflint: Shure that’s not what you paid for it. There’s profit in that price.

Dad: I can’t be sourcing these cars for you just so you can sell it on in a while.

Icy silence for a while and it was never mentioned again. He never got stung with him again. Unfortunately the whole family is like that. It cascades down the generations.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Advertisement

Have seen 2 similar cases lately to do with paying for taxis for elderly parents.

First one is a couple who take their mother/mother in law out for day trips, they only see her once every 6 months, she is in her 90s. I assumed they were paying for her taxi and dinner out in a restaurant but I heard them say they would take her wherever she could afford. imagine being so mean you couldn't pay for your elderly mothers taxi and dinner. That is some thanks for the mother that raised you. I think its really sad and shows them up for what they are really like.

Another case a woman in her late 80s, the daughter gets her a wheelchair assessible taxi for a hospital trip because she knows the mother will struggle to get into a normal car, she tells her rich brother who says "im not paying for that" 🤦‍♂️ she said I didn't ask you to.

The brother is bringing her to hospital the next trip and he is going to drag his old mother into his car and out again, too tight to look after her the right way.

If I ever had kids and that is the way they treated me in my old age, I definitely would regret having them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭Be right back

And the sad fact is, if the first couple and the brother weren't left anything in the wills, they would contest it as they are 'entitled' to get something.

They could contest all they like, they wouldn't get anything. But yes I know they would be raging if they didn't get anything.

money as your God is an awful condition to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,436 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I remember when this thread used to be funny...

My friend paid for a hostel for the 2 of us in advance of a night out. the price was 100.02

I gave him 50 euro, he asked me for the 1 cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,333 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Whuch hostel charges an extra cent on the 50? The hostel is also being pretty stingy.

Post edited by pgj2015 on

I dunno, I’m on about page 40 of it at the moment and the laughs are few and far between. My feelings are mostly just rage or ‘you fool, why did you get into rounds with a known stinge!?’ and pages of OT about someone cutting their own fringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

I've probably told this before but here goes.

My parents tell a story of a wedding that they once went to.

The nub of the story is that a well known guy in our area is a shop owner and a relative of the girl that was getting married.

The wedding reception took place in a posh hotel. It was one of those hotels where you can have a sunday paper delivered to your room if you want it.

Anyway, my old man swears blind that he saw said shop owner cutting the mast heads off the leftover sunday papers on monday morning so that he could claim the money back off them.

https://www.orourkeda.blog

• Advertisement

edit: <Didn’t realise this post was was so long

TLDR: Great thread and stingey c I knew got his comeuppance in the end.>

Just passed the 100 page mark on this. Some great stories here, even the embellished ones and tall tales are worth reading.

It can seem like a panto at times though:

‘Isn't that stingey?'

‘Oh no it isn't (they are quite clearly being frugal).’

‘Oh yes it is (you'd want to be some sap to do that to save 5c)’

After being stung with some stinges and leeches about 20 years ago I must have developed a 6th sense for avoiding them as I don't have any stories worth posting that hit me personally newer than that.

One I remember distinctly though from about 2006. I was worked the odd weekend or college holiday on a local farm. It was owned by a multi-millionaire business man who never looked too closely at the day to day running. There was a farm manager who barely looked in either and a single labourer who effectively had the run of the place. A married guy in his 30's who was a real stinge.

I'm there over the winter. Stingey says to me to connect the slurry tanker to the tractor.

‘You're hardly spreading in this weather?'

‘No Mike (neighbour, not his real name) called, his septic tank is overflowing again after the rain last night. The builder didn't build it right last year and it overflows when there's heavy rain’

‘Grand’

‘Yep, the rain last night woke me up and I thought "Great, that's another €50 off Mike for emptying this!”’

I was gobsmacked. Mike is one of the most obliging and decent humans you could meet. This f$$ker was taking hundreds off him over the winter to keep shlt from flowing around his house. Stingey was using the farm tractor, tanker and diesel to do this and doing on the farm time too. It wasn't costing him a penny. He was gleeful telling about get the €50.

You scabby c u next tuesday (there is no other word for him).

To do this to a neighbour who would easily reciprocate the help given without prompting. Stingey just wanted cold hard cash. Needless to Mike sorted his drainage problems pretty sharpish.

Stingey got his comeuppance in the long term though. What he did on the farm, not even borderline, was theft and embezellment and they were just the things that I saw and knew about. Giving silage etc contracts to his mates, getting his mates in to do work he could easily have done himself, using farm equipment for nixers and on land he'd rented and so many more.

The owner died of old age and the farm and big house passed to his son. He started keeping a much closer eye on things and watching the accounts. Within 5 years of taking over, Stingey (now the only person working there) couldn't turn a profit for the son. So the son sells half the land and just keeps the land around the house.

Knocked him down to part time hours too. In the 15 odd years he was fleecing the place I'm sure he put enough aside but knowing him and how tight/thieving he was I know he's probably still fuming at losing his easy number.

Post edited by hoodie6029 on

Advertisement