Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I know, we are really missing a new & mediocre Sony open world game for Tears of the Kingdom to show up 😝

(I kid, I kid)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

If anyone is ever missing what Days Gone 2 could have been, just visit a friend, and then right after you've left, call them on the phone for a chat while you're driving away.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

And then run out of gas in 3 minutes even though you filled it up 3 minutes ago.

I can see why the big 3 might want to move away from "journalists" having a go at a demo. At the end of the day, it's just one persons opinion, and game journalism is very spiteful these days imo. I'd prefer if companies waited for these State of Plays/Showcases/Events to say "Here's our new game, it's out now/in a month". Even the few in the Showcase saying 2024 annoyed me. That's next year, I'll care about next year next year! Show me what's coming soon.

We don't need people deep diving into demos/pre-alpha builds to give their personal opinion on it. Let me decide. I don't think there's a need for game reviewers anymore. Unless it's something that's unapologetically a personal opinion (Zero Punctuation). I find I don't agree with the vast majority anyway, and too many of them look for something more than just a game to enjoy. I miss the days of a game just launching, albeit that could be because during the 90s there was no money to be part of the magazine brigade (save for a special occasion, and most articles were about games already out) and no internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

People are probably sick of me mentioning Supraland Six Inches Under but anyway. I said I will give it a break as there is a problem with achievements not popping which I got. I noticed I never got an achievement for reaching the second floor of the town. There is two updates planned I read today. Hopefully the first one fixes the issue as that update has gone through certification. I said I would stop playing just in case the achievements do not pop even after the updates and I have to play it again. Wouldn't be too bad to play it again as I know what to do.

I enjoyed the first one, although I don't think I finished it. On game pass so it's a no brainer really. Probably plays well on xcloud too for some quick on the go fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,878 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I was having a look to try and find that old Eircom/Telecom Eireann ad of the 2 girls who spend all day together barely talking then when they get home phone each other.

But couldn't find it and instead got reminded that I don't know what a tracker mortgage is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I just finished Alan Wake recently and I thought it was absolutely atrocious. Can't understand the love for it it the excitement for the sequel. I thought Control was great until I played the dlc... I just ran out of steam playing it and ended up getting bored. But it definitely made interested in playing Alan Wake... one of the biggest letdowns I had in gaming in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You should have finished it. The last thing I got was the super jump. It was kinda like a god mode for jumping. Did you ever see the coins outside the map and wonder when playing how do you get them. Well with that ability you jump all over the map at ease. If I had known when playing that was going to come into it I wouldn't have spent so long while playing the game getting the hard to reach items.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet - Insomniac confirm "multiple" new boroughs to explore in SM2. So not just Queens then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The other ones will be Bohan, Broker and Algonquin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Will there be bowling alleys? And crazy Serbian cousins? And Vlad? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭recyclops

"Explore" isnt the word its more filler for them than anything as your not allowed explore in these games. The protagonist is forever telling you were to go constantly.

Watched the gameplay vid and at one point in the fish market spidey whilst looking for someone says " Where are you, Garage might lead to him" and lo and behold a garage with an little bit of yellow trim. Can Sony not help themselves by constantly telling gamers what to do and how to solve stuff.

I guess at least they are consistent and it does look very good.

It's a bit of a hard balance. I don't mind the yellow trim/paint kind of stuff to tell me where to go because ultimately, standing around trying to figure out where to go can be boring as f*ck, not always obvious what you can climb/jump, and the games are trying to say "Look, just go up there, follow the path, then you get to experience the actual engaging gameplay".

Where they cross the line with it is instantly just telling you how to complete puzzles and stuff. It's bad enough when you have a companion telling you how to do it. Aloy in Horizon constantly just talking out loud to HERSELF to suggest to HERSELF what she, HERSELF, should do.... shut the f*ck up and allow me to think about it for a minute MYSELF!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭quokula

Have you never played the first two games? That was in the middle of a scripted mission. You have complete freedom outside of those and lots of things to discover if you go exploring. Given how excellent the traversal mechanics are I'd go so far as to say it's one of the very most enjoyable games out there when it comes to exploring an open world.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The problem a Spider-Man game will always face is that New York is the only city where the character really makes sense. Hopefully they’ll handle the new boroughs well, but Manhattan and Spider-Man will always be intrinsically linked.

I have played both, Yeah swinging is great but its not really exploring IMO as there is nothing to "discover" lots of stuff to collect, take photos and lots of crimes to stop ( I say lots there is around 3-5 constant set pieces that play out over and over). I couldn't care less for achievements/Trophies so filler does nothing for me as there is no need to do it.

Exploring to me is " That thing over there around 3 mountain ranges over looks interesting I will go thee " only to get side-tracked for around 15/20 times due to other stuff that looks more interesting. Obvious examples being Elden, RDR2 and BOTW/TOTK. Witcher less so as the map had only ? on it but at least you didnt know what you were going to and had side quests that were epic.

Nothing beats swinging through Manhattan. It's the only game that can make chasing a pigeon fun.

In comparison, the satisfaction of gliding across Hyrule for me comes from the satisfaction of getting to your destination quicker.

But for Spidey, the traversing alone is such a pleasure. I see next destination 3000m away and I'm in heaven. Fast travel? Get that sh!t out of my face this is Spider-man 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭McFly85

What the Spider-Man game did really well is replicating the feeling of being your friendly neighbourhood wall-crawler. Replayed the first one recently enough and I still love the feeling swinging down to a car chase in progress, and the combat was consistently enjoyable.

But it’s not really open world, Manhattan is more like a hub location that joins all of the missions together. You don’t explore it, you swing from A-B.

I am looking forward to the next one, but it’s interesting to see how much genuine invention they could add that makes it stand out from the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,571 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Finally beat the race level in Mafia on classic mode. Feels good man, feels good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I just remember everyone giving out about how hard that was back in the day! Well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

This might be one time when it's allowed to say pics or GTFO! 😆

But seriously, nice one :)

Friendly reminder that Warner Brothers absolutely suck for keeping the Nemesis system to themselves and doing sweet **** all with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,878 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Is that what they're doing or is it that others would have to pay to use it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A patent means they have exclusive use for a number of years but can license it out

So many games would benefit from it, literal game changer and it's just sitting there. They have the patent until 2035. I wonder if any other devs tried to lease it or if WB were looking for too much money, would be interesting info.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

More than that: imagine what a canny indie Dev might do with the concept; Obra Din but with nemesis... but of course they'd be shut down quicker than you could type "cease and desist". It's such a bizarrely specific case of legally warehousing an abstract idea. A great idea but why bolt it down above other ones?

At the same time it's almost good they have it locked down as its not saturating every game released and getting tiresome.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Honestly, that seems like the type of patent that'd get tossed out if it ever went to court. It's probably not going to go to court though, sadly. Small developers, the most likely to experiment with something like this, wouldn't be able to afford the fight, while developers who could afford won't bother. Why launch a major legal battle when you could just design a slightly different game.

All in all, WB are A-holes.

I think it's due to be part of the Wonder Woman game Monolith is making.

But I nearly agree with recyclops that it's probably for the best that it's not infecting every game.

• Advertisement

Remember how ridge racer let you play galaga when it loaded? Despite not being the first game to do this, plenty of examples on home computers, Namco patented it and that's why we have had to sit through load screens ever since.

Advertisement