Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Census 2022 question on religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

There are a fair few people identifying as catholics who don't believe on transubstantiation but eat pasta on a regular basis- maybe they need to be honest with themselves and reach out to His noodly appendage

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

My household bucked the trend, going from 17% in 2016 to 50% this time. The 4 youngest "nones" fled the nest, meaning we went from 1/6 to 1/2. The wife clings on...

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I don't think Catholicism has an exclusive hold on the "I was raised a .. therefore I'm a .. on Census 2022". I'm sure there is a significant proportion of all faiths could be considered in the same bracket.

I really look forward to seeing how much the results change from last census on the basis of the reshaped question.

On another related issue... would the DPC have any problem with the Catholic Church refusing to adjust their membership lists if requested by a "previous" member?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,168 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

do they hold membership lists? they hold information on baptisms but that is a record of an event.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I see that the latest census from the UK shows that Christianity no longer represents the majority of people in the UK.

~46% of the UK report themselves as "Christian" with "No Religion" the next up on about ~37%.

The trending indicates that "No Religion" will overtake Christianity in about 10 years.

All the others are well below 10% .

Really interested to see what the comparable numbers look like for Ireland when they process the latest census data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,078 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The Catholic church doesn't have membership lists. What it has is membership estimates, but those estimates don't involve identifying any particular person as Catholic or non-Catholic; just estimating the total number of Catholics. They do have baptismal registers, but they can't be treated as a current membership estimate, if only because the great bulk of the names recorded in baptismal registers are of people who have already died.

When I last looked at this, a few years ago, the Catholic church's estimates of its own membership in Ireland (North and South) tallied pretty closely with the available census information on self-identification (which, at that time, was from 2011). Whether the church authorities were actually using the census information to derive or correct their own estimates I cannot say, but I suspect they were. I have a post about this buried somewhere deep within the Board's archives, but my search skills are/the board search engine is not up to finding it.

It will be interesting to see if the church's next membership estimates — each diocese is supposed to produce one annually — reflect the same decline in membership as the census results will.

well their estimates are certainly not based on a headcount of those attending mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,984 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Just this guy's opinion really but interesting nonetheless:

Many non-practicing Catholics in the North continue to identify themselves by their religion because of its “political significance”, MPs at Westminster have heard.

Giving his assessment of the 2021 census results – which found Catholics outnumbered Protestants for the first time in Northern Ireland’s history – Dr Kevin McNicholl said that, for him, there was an “important takeaway” that “hadn’t been commented on as much”.

“Part of the reason why someone would call themselves Protestant to indicate they’re Protestant is not the same reason someone would indicate that they’re Catholic,” the Open Learning tutor at Queen’s University Belfast told the Northern Ireland Affairs Committee.

“It seems when Catholics stop their religious observance they would still call themselves ‘Catholic’; it’s more of a cultural thing with political significance.

“For Protestants, that’s not necessarily the case to the same extent. So that’s when you find for [those identifying as] ‘British alone’ [in the census], the number is more than those identifying as Irish, for example.”

Dr McNicholl pointed to the symbolic significance of the census results – and the “obvious” policy outcome in relation to “increased calls for a Border poll”.

But he also noted the rise in the number of “others” – that group of people identifying as having no religion – which would “swing such a Border poll”.

That group, he said, were “very diverse”.

“Even considering them as a ‘third minority’, it overeggs the idea this is a homogenous group in the same way as Irish or British.”

Published in September, the latest census results showed those identifying as Protestant dipped from approximately 48 per cent in 2011 to 44 per cent last year. Catholics increased from 45 per cent to 46 per cent.

Statisticians found a marked increase in those who said they had no faith, at 17.4 per cent compared to 10.1 per cent a decade ago.

Life ain't always empty.

No. But, then, they never were. Atheists, for some reason, seem to attach far more signficance to regular church attendance than Christians do. 😉

clearly that is the case. I dont think that is the burn you think it is.

• Advertisement

Don't know about the rest of you but when I was a child / teenager there was hell to pay (no pun intended) if you skipped mass... I don't think that was at all unusual then either.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

We were masters of the "drive through" at the local Church.

Walk in one door at the back, pick up a copy of the missalette and confirm which priest was on duty then out the other door.

That way you could answer the security questions at home.

"Which Priest said mass?" and "What was the sermon about?"

But with your technique you wouldn't know what the sermon was about. I suppose you could just say you fell asleep or drifted off miles away through sheer boredom.

Life ain't always empty.

I knew someone who used to grill his little sister on what happened at mass on the pretext that he didnt believe that she went.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Neither of my parents were religious, wasn't Christened nor ever went to a mass beyond weddings and funerals. Thank God for atheism 😎

So how you do know you don't like religion if you never tried it 🤣

Life ain't always empty.

Possibly stems from the bullying and being called a pagan by the pious Christians when I was a young lad in the 70s. Being an atheist in Ireland at that point in time didn't go down well in many circles. I sure as hell didn't associate Christianity with kindness or generosity of spirit. Looking back on it, it could well be due in part to jealousy at not having to go to mass and getting a lie in on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Seems that the absolute and relative amounts of Catholics have decreased since the last census.

Census 2022 figures are just out.

• Population is now officially over 5 million (5,149,139)
    • The proportion of the population who identified Roman Catholic as their religion fell from 79% in 2016 to 69% in 2022.
    • Those with no religion increased from 10 per cent in 2016 to 14 per cent in 2022.
    • The Church of Ireland category showed little change but remained the second largest religious category with 124,749 people (2%).

79% to 69% in only six years is a very rapid drop.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Only 53% of people in Dublin City call themselves Roman Catholic.

So , Catholic declined 10% but "No Religion" only increased 4%.

Where did the other 6% go?

Did they convert to another religion or did the census allow for a "nothing in particular" option instead of a declarative "None" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

There is still a write in box, so you can put whatever you like there.

We'll have to wait until October to get the detailed release covering religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Just read back through the whole thread and even I couldn't remember why I'd posted that song.

You need to say the first line, slowly.... 😉

But yes the 'missing' 6% thing is interesting. I doubt there's been a massive increase in Jedi or something. Might be former RCs now describing themselves as just Christian but really would there be that many disillusioned RCs who are still motivated enough to describe themselves as such? Some, yes. Not 6% of the population though. "ex-Catholic"? but you're supposed to describe what you are, not what you used to be!

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭unfortunately

The percentages are relative to the size of population. The growth in the general population between 2016 and 2022 means that the percentages are not directly comparable. Instead, compare the absolute numbers:

RC population

2016: 3,696,644

2022: 3,515,861

A decrease of 180,783.

No Religion

2016: 451,941

2022: 736,210

An increase of 284,269.

Post edited by unfortunately on

This.

And there's more. The fall of 180,783 Catholics is the result of (Catholics who have died since 2016) + (Catholics who have emigrated since 2016) + (People who identified as Catholic in 2016 but not in 2022) - ((Catholics born since since 2016) + (Catholics immigrating since 2016) + (people who did not identify as Catholic in 2016 but do in 2022)). The 180k figure is just the net result of all those various movements; it doesn't, in itself, tell us how big the different components of the net movement were.

And exactly the same, of course, is true of the net increase of 284,269 in the "no religion" group.

When the full results of the census are published we'll be able to get a handle of some of the individual components - a breakdown by age of the "Catholic" and "no religion" groups will tell us what proportion of each group represents children born since 2016, and will allow us to estimate with reasonable accuracy how much each group has been affected by deaths since 2016. But disentangling the "conversion" and "migration" components of the change may be less easy.

But I think the three key points are:

1. The fall in Catholic identification is steep and accelerating. The fall from 2002 to 2011 was about 2.3% of the population; from 2011 to 2016 it was 5.7%; from 2016 to 2022 it was 10%.
    2. For the first time, the absolute numbers of Catholics counted has fallen, not just their percentage of the population. In all previous censuses the numbers of Catholics has risen.
    3. As unfortunately's post indicates, the growth in the non-religious group is not driven solely, or perhaps even primarily, by defections from the Catholic group.

My guess would be that the accelerating relative shift away from Catholicism is largely generational and that the breakdown will show a disproportionately large part of the Catholic group are of an age that have already had their children. Logically, the trend will continue until the age distribution starts to match that of the wider population. I'd imagine Ireland will no longer be a Catholic majority country at that point though anyone's guess as to what percentage it will start to stabilise at.

• Advertisement

Maybe we should think of of this not in terms of how small the "Catholic" group is or will become, but of how big the non-religious group will be. As Catholicism ceases to be the monolith in Ireland that it once was, these increasingly become independent of one another.

Across Europe generally, the size of the atheist/agnostic/non-religious group varies from 4% (Romania) to 56% (Czech Republic). The EU average is 28%, and if we look at countries that are geographically, economically and culturally close to us, we see figures like 39% (UK), 40% (France), 31% (Belgium), 32% (Spain), 30% (Germany) and 14% (Italy). That's still quite a broad range, but a landing zone for Ireland somewhere in the 30-40% region looks plausible.

There tends to be huge concentration in this forum on the mismatch between identification with a religion, and systematic participation in the worship of that religion. But it's absolutely standard; in most European countries, this mismatch has persisted for generations, and there's no reason to suppose that it won't persist in Ireland too.

Advertisement