Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching about Gender

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭delusiondestroyer

To teach a kid is to influence them.

Kids are thought that regardless, doesnt mean there should be special education about trans, ive yet to meet someone that didnt want there child to be respectful or kind towards others, regardless of color, race or sex.

Again no the only one saying that people "pretend trans dont exist" is you, Trans can do what they like but why should they have the right to influence what children learn?

Laws exist to protect children too.

I genuinely am concerned about the trans community looking to influence young children that haven't the capacity to fully understand the situation.

What would they teach? would it be scientifically and factually correct? Would they state that factually there are 2 genders but society has made up more for people that want them?

See the problem with teaching something that isn't rooted in fact or reality.

Their is no duty to educate a child on something that is a social construct and not based in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,515 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Parents don’t get a veto on the content of the curriculum.

It seems remarkably foolish to assume that only or even mainly LGBTQ or trans people have views on the school curriculum.

Come back to me when you’ve watched the documentary mentioned, or just listened to trans people speaking about their life experiences.

Lots of trans people know they are trans before they know anything about trans as a concept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭suvigirl

But it is fact that people can legally change gender. So, facts!

I have no intention of watching that doc as ive no interest in trans people or LGBTQ or what they do the only issue i have with them is when they try to force education on children and that will affect my child.

Other than that they can do what ever they like.

So unless you have some real legitimate reason that Trans education is critical to children it wont be apart of the curriculum because parents will object to it and force the content change. Its that simple.

You're not kidding me with your 'No interest in trans except...' spiel. You seem to be remarkably interested in trans, slightly obsessed even, in this one very minor niche issue. Your tactic is to avoid the human issues around the existence of trans people, so you can avoid the realities that trans and non-binary people exist, and trans and non-binary people are not 'created' by knowing or hearing about other trans and non-binary people.

With every post, you highlight the absolute importance of educating kids about trans and non-binary people.

You've nothing to be afraid of here. Your kids and other kids won't catch the gay or catch the trans or catch the non-binary by hearing about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

We already teach this is schools. Many schools have trans students. Some have trans staff. It's actually less of an issue than you think.

There's a fair amount of data available showing their are certainly differences at a biological level in people who identify as trans pre intervention so I'm certainly not uncomfortable teaching it as fact. But also if their weren't I'm not in the business of telling other people how they feel about themselves.

Like all education, the purpose of the curriculum is to prepare students for the world, for them to be productive and useful members of our society. Pretending trans people don't exist when they might be sitting beside one or being taught by one strikes me as ridiculous.

All this sadly reminds me of the gay panic, if teachers talk about being gay and are gay all the kids will be gay. Turns out that was not true so on to the next oppressed minority I suppose. None of those bigots thought they were bigoted at the time either.

Name one school thats teaching about trans?

No panic just no one wants your topic thought its not important and is irrelevant for anyone becoming a productive member of society.

They could pass "flat earth" into law in the morning still wouldnt change the fact its not true.

• Advertisement

It seems to bother you that no one cares about trans other than they annoyingly try to force there beliefs down the throat of everyone else.

Again, you don’t speak for everyone, so please stop telling us what no one wants.

Does it make you mad to know that no one wants it?

Think we are getting to the crux of the issue now its about "attention" rather than "education" anyways this is a nonsense discussion because it'll never happen anyway thank god.

Every Educate together school through the ethical education programme, most schools in SPHE.......you are clearly not involved in education so I'm not sure why your on this forum?

Parents are all grand with it (the hundreds and hundreds I've dealt with), they've teenagers, they've more important things to worry about as do the teachers.

Plenty of people are more then happy for their kids to learn about transgender people, along with everything else in the world.

Of course it will happen, teachers on this thread have said it is already happening.

Teaching is giving information to people, seems very strange to keep information from people, a strange censorship.

Any parents i have met with are absolutely against it being thought and would resist it, as its not factual information its extremely subjective.

A lot of people don't think a trans woman is actually a woman a lot of people think thats just a man that has had a surgery to pretend to be a woman because of a identity disorder. Now that's extremely hard to argue against because that opinion is rooted and backed by scientific fact that there are 2 genders and this cannot be changed again a scientific fact.

Now if people are happy to lie to their children and tell them that a man that had surgery is actually a woman then fair enough but its simply not real no matter what law is passed or what society wants to say all the surgery in the world wont change it either.

Are you happy teaching lies? Because thats the sort of information a child should be protected from.

No need to go into any of that. Simply teaching that some people believe they have been born into the wrong body and can legally change gender at 18 is factually correct.

Teaching something doesn't force anyone to believe anything if they don't want to.

As for lying to kids? Lol! Santa anyone? Tooth fairy maybe? Everyone lies to their kids, constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭sonar44

It is not correct to say much less teach that anyone is born in the wrong body or go along with this idiotic line of thinking. There isn't another person walking around with the body they were meant to be in. Body and mind are not independent mechanisms that the gender jesus puts together by mistake occasionally.

It's disgusting to say the least that there is an implied logic in this that people born with debilitating physical and mental handicaps are born in the 'right body' as if they deserve it but trans people, somehow got a raw deal.

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

"No need to go into any of that" oh right so we just skip right past reality and facts and just throw Trans out there to kids without any context or factual basis what so ever... what could go wrong...

Exactly! thats the catagory its in santa and the tooth fairy except we eventually tell them the truth about santa and the tooth fairy lmao!

Its genuinely unbelievable stuff they come out with and the righteousness of them then when someone calls it out for what it is is amazing altogether.

As if they have a right to teach other peoples children there delusions and everyone should be delighted about it.

• Advertisement

You may have a selective group of parents there or your own opinions are so extreme people are uncomfortable disagreeing with it in public. Most parents recognize the obviousness of the fact trans people exist and are actually great thankfully.

Again I know dozens of schools personally where this is taught currently. No real issues. Vapes are a curse though if you want to talk actual issues in schools. Are you involved in education?

Alao the science has been extensively discussed earlier in this thread. If you wish to discuss science the minimum entry to the discussion is one peer reviewed article with no obvious caveats in a decent journal backing your opinion. Otherwise you are not talking science either.

No one in this thread is denying the existence of trans people yet you keep repeating that over and over why?

There is no discussion to be had in regards to the science, and I would seriously be concerned if you tried to argue otherwise. There are 2 genders and your assigned one is never a "mistake" end of story.

Now people are entitled to believe how they will and do what they will with there own bodies and that should be respected i have no issue with trans people and what they believe, even though I completely disagree with there beliefs I still try respect that this is there beliefs and leave them alone.

Now since I respect there beliefs and view point and leave them alone I demand the same in return.

In short you are trying to force trans beliefs on to people and there children and pass them as fact and "education", when people simply don't agree with it or want it. Its done solely for the benefit of trans people.

Perhaps you didn't read my post correctly....the reality is that some people believe they were born into the wrong body and they can legally change their gender. That's reality. Just because you don't like it, it's there, it's fact and it's reality.

No need to hide reality from the kiddos, they get enough lies from parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭sonar44

It is a lie to teach that anyone is born in the wrong body or that anyone can actually change sex.

It's fine to tell children some people believe this but it is no less valid to teach them that some people believe they are reincarnated, aliens or possessed by spirits.

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭briangriffin

If im trasnphobic you are idiotic and that's proven in every post you've made so far. You ask for evidence of desistance I provide it and you say I cherry picked the study.

I'm sure as hell not going to listen to someone who has no knowledge of basic child psychology and safeguarding. You asked for evidence of social contagion with trans children 21% of Gen Z in te US now identify as LGBT if that percentage increases at the same rate as it has in the past 4 generations we won't have to worry about climate change because we will literally all be LGBT and the human race will become extinct. The absolut nonsense that is be bandied about here as fact is beyond ridiculous a 6 year old came out as non binary?? Pull the other one had the family a vegan dog too? Or a two spirit cat?

I asked the question is a girl who plays football trans because in her Ted talk susie green the head of Mermaids said that her biological son always liked playing with dolls and dresses as a child and used this as an indicator he was trans... do I beleive girls who play football are trans no I don't what an idiotic suggestion I coach camogie and girls football I have daughters. I'm not a clueless ideologue who has two trans friends.

I gave you a long term study on desistance and all you have countered nothing other than to say that's transphobic. Science is transphobic is it?? You've proven nothing other than how entrenched you are and how everything you disagree with is transphobic.

If you had a child of your own you would be aware of the insanity of teaching irrelevant unproven ideological nonsense to them. The gender unicorn is taught in the US and in schools in the UK. Why is it a gender unicorn? Who is that suppose to appeal to would you say? Would it be the huge numbers of girls transitioning in the past decade? And this is the issue if teaching about trans people meant you mention in passing about transpeople existing then sure I'd have no problem with that but teaching children that their gender may not align with their sex observed at birth is an ideological viewpoint its not fact and shouldn't be taught to children.

What you just said there is hate speech and is transhopic nobody is born in the wrong body isn't that right Princess.

Santa and the tooth fairy don't teach kids they are born in the wrong body. Lets not lie to our kids about important things.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,083 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Again - the first point is settled, the second isn't challenged.

So, if, according to you, I've no frame of reference because I don't have a kid (despite having WAY more experience with actual, real transpeople than you - funny how that's not important....) - why are you arguing with me?

What do you think you're going to learn from me that's going to improve your understanding of the issue? Nothing? Then why you even doing it in the first place, if not to learn something new?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I would have hoped you'd have brought some sort of cogent argument of facts to back up your opinions, you haven't. I asked you why there is such an explosion in trans identifying youth in the past decade you rejected the change in gender medicine which resulted in gender affirming care being the rule not the exception, you rejected social media and peer contagion, you rejected what the head of the childrens gender affirming clinician the UK said about not knowing what impact puberty has on gender dysphoria. You rejected the long term study which had 89% of trans children desisting, you've learned nothing other than trans adults are trans adults. Children on the other hand are far more likely to desist if left alone if not affirmed. Education in the form of the gender unicorn promotes the idea of being trans of being uniquely special and it targets the most vulnerable of children as studies have proven its those with ASD and mental health comorbidites are most easily influenced. That's not transphobic for me to say that's proven by whistleblowers and investigations into trans care. I've referenced studies where up to 90% of children in them have had Asd or mental health comorbidites. I frankly couldn't give a toss what you beleive just stop peddling your nonsense as fact when it is not fact. More people need to speak up its about time the adults in the room stood up for their children.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not sure of the value of yet another thread on this, particularly since it is veering in to a general discussion (accompanied by the usual offensive comments) and not one based on curriculum or syllabus.

Any teachers wish to comment on teaching related matters to do with teaching about gender, please do. Anyone coming to bash or deny the existence of trans people, jog on.

• Advertisement

Perhaps you read my post wrong,

What you're saying is factually incorrect, it has no basis in science and is a social construct completely made up.

There are only 2 genders and they are never mistaken, this is a biological fact.

It's an insurmountable fact, they can have as many surgery's as they like but a man will never be a woman and vice versa, ever, no matter what law is passed it's physically impossible.

So when you say you want to educate people on it you have to stick to fact otherwise you are lying.

And that reality is what my kids will be told that what they are saying isn't based in fact or truth. No need to lie to the kids and tell them a man can be a woman when it's simply a lie or that gender mix up happens.

They will then to be told to treat these people with respect regardless, but to be careful of ideologies especially ones that aren't based in reality or truth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement