Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Dec 22 Assembly Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,435 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well I hope SF is not running the jurisdiction down here already?

SF is engaged in destabilising the NI state with a view to a border poll.

It's straight from the playbook of Russia & China and other states seeking to absorb neighbours.

Irish unity will be fine when everyone broadly agrees with it. That's how it should be achieved, not by attempting to force constitutional through dubious election tactics and border votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,050 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You do know a 'Border vote' is a poll of all the people on both sides of that border, not just those on the border?

What is wrong with a Border Poll as a way of finding out what a majority want to do?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The sectarian divide in NI makes the whole question irrelevant until the hatred visited on the other side is removed.

Having heard Jim Allister on Irish TV spitting such vile bile wrt to Ireland, RTE, Irish people, etc., I would prefer that a border poll, should it be held, that a requirement that he be excluded from the UI, should it be voted in.

As we have learned in the South, create the proper conditions, separate Church and State and sectarianism all but disappears in a generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

more reds under the beds - straight out of the paranoid american 50s playbook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,117 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This is very interesting, but the figures need a bit of unpacking.

First, are we talking about true Alliance second preferences — i.e. the votes of people who voted: 1 Alliance, 2 some other party? Or are we talking about Alliance next effective preferences — i.e. when Alliances candidates are elected/eliminated, where does the surplus/do the votes go? I suspect the latter, if only because that is much, much easier to establish from published election count results. This will include lots of people who voted e.g. 1 X, 2 Alliance, 3 Y, 4 Z.

This matters because, by this method, you won't measure any preferences for parties that are eliminated before the Alliance candidate is elected or eliminated. In the example just given, if the candidate of party Y has already been eliminated, the next effective preference is for party Z, and that's what will be recorded. Which means that Green/Alliance preferences in favour of other minor parties are likely to be undercounted, since they are more likely to be eliminated early in the count.

Secondly, conspicuously omitted from the graph above is any information about next effective preferences to other non-aligned parties, and about non-transferable votes. I'd really like to see fully-amplified figures showing all of the Alliance and Green next effective preferences.

But, yeah. The big picture hear is very striking. It really punctures the view that moderate unionists, pissed of with the DUP/TUV shenanigans and viewing UUP as basically useless, are registering their protest by voting Alliance. It suggests that there isn't a big cohort of "silent unionists" whose basic unionism is masked by voting Alliance or Green.

Good post Pergrinus.

It did surprise me and goes a long way to explain why political Unionism is so unsettled and insecure. I suspect the back room teams know how fluid and undependable their traditional vote has become.

The reason I'd like to see full details is that, if we saw a significant chunk of Alliance votes going to the Greens (or vice versa), that could point to disaffected unionists who are voting successively for various non-aligned parties and then transferring back to unionist parties. Whereas if we see a large chunk of Alliance votes or Green votes being non-transferrable, that's very worrying for unionists.

Post a difficult election, it seems the DUP might be badly split. Donaldson seems to be fishing for funding or gesture to save face while others are still in No Surrender mode. Caused quite the furoe on the airwaves today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭downcow

How about a process of acknowledgment of the hurt done to each other before any such pole. I attended something last night where we were give a flavour of what happened to the Protestant community along the Fermanagh border. There was not a dry eye in the house and it was only a little insight ahead of a full presentation to come. The pain and trauma is awful. I realise there were catholic communities who also suffered that I need to hear and understand more.

I have felt since 1998 that there should be a museum or holocaust type experience A walk through. Where you must go through each section to get out and sections should be created by communities/actors eg section on suffering by Catholic community / Protestant community / security forces / mainland % europe / etc.

maybe then we could acknowledge the horror visited on the other side by us.

if those in roi were sensible they would not contemplate taking us on until some of this was dealt with.

• Advertisement

How about just acknowledging that everyone suffered downcow?

Why do you need a museum?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I actually don't think it is a bad idea at all, so long as groups don't try to make it into a competition of who suffered the most; focus on acknowledgment of hurt and healing, not blame.

Similar was proposed for the old Long Kesh site over 15 years ago.....but since Martin McGuinness favoured the idea, Jim Allister had to object. Anything acknowledging any wrongdoing towards the CNR community would make it a Provo shrine in his eyes.

Keeping people like him (from either side) away from decision making for something like this would be crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭paul71

More than 10 years reading posts from Peregrinus on the site.

I mostly agree, if I do not agree I certainly would have a difficult (perhaps impossible) time trying to pick apart the reason or logic in any of his posts. I do however believe that in 10 years this is the first post of his in which I note a spelling mistake.

"The man is human!!!"

You can acknowledge without the need for museums.

She took a lot of criticism for the 'no alternative' comment but I think in the whole quote of what she said, MoN has acknowledged that what happened was awful for all.

"My whole adult life has been about building the peace process," she said.

"I wish the conditions were never here that actually led to conflict. I wish that so many people didn’t have the horrible experience that they’ve had throughout the conflict days, that’s everyone's experience.

“I think the only way we're ever going to build a better future is actually to understand that it's okay to have a different take on the past.

"My narrative is a very different one to someone who's perhaps lost a loved one at the hands of republicans.

"I think that we need to be mature enough to be able to say, ‘well that’s okay, we’ll have to agree to differ on that one, but let’s make sure that the conditions never exist again that we find ourselves in that scenario.’ 

“Not that I believe that we would, but I just think it’s important. 

Do we hear this from Unionists who are meeting with the LLC? I don't think we do yet tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A museum dedicated to the troubles, is ostensibly, a very good idea and certainly something that'll become more valuable as we have more generations born into a post-GFA agreement (assuming the malcontents don't dismantle it in the meantime). There needs to be a reminder about how how appalling life was for those born into a state manufactured to push its citizens to the brink.

Indeed I think most countries with what we could diplomatically call a chequered or shameful past could do with a Museum dedicated to honesty and reflection on the hardships the state might have imposed upon its citizens or others; broadly speaking a Museum dedicated to Slavery in the UK and US would be a useful thing - but we all know the pushback that'd get from the GB News set.

By the same token, if supporters of NI were sensible wouldn't they see doing this as an absolute priority if NI is to become anything like a normal political entity that enjoys the assent of the communities that live in it?

The kind of truth-telling as a foundation for reconciliation that you speak of here does seem to me to be absolutely foundational for any kind of democratic stability and normality in NI, whether NI is in the UK or the Republic. But I'd be very reluctant to defer political progress until it had happened, not least because political progress may be a necessary condition for it to happen.

After all, we should ask ourselves this: why hasn't it already happened?

Because certain groups benefit from continued division, Peregrinus. I don't think it is much deeper than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Lionel Fusco

A full truth commission is the only way where all sides are guaranteed immunity regardless of what they did and the full dirty truth is revealed. This will never happen because the British will never reveal the extent of their involvement in the dirty war and the actions they ordered their agents to commit.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Lionel Fusco

The reality is dawning on those with a brain in the DUP they know they need to go back to Stormont and they need a face saving exercise to do it but they'll only get one if they can guarantee they can bring the whole house with them and it looks like they can't. A split in the DUP would be glorious now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Merchant of Venice by WS, written 500 years ago attests to antisemitism that is still alive and well in many . The Catholic/Protestant conflict has been going on for longer, and in Shakespeare's time was even more deadly - being burned at the stake, or being beheaded.

It is the deep hatred that engenders the zero sum attitude shown by the opposition for some progress, not because it benefits us, but because it also benefits them - whichever side the 'us' and 'them' are.

As I have posted many times before - NI needs to remove this hatred within their society before they will be able to join the civilised world of tolerance, and luxuriate in the experience of even enjoying the cultures around them.

• Advertisement

100 years has taught us it cannot be done in the environment partition created, sadly IMO. How long until that reality sinks in and the appetite to look at other ways increases is guesswork, but I think the process has begun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭Choochtown

I agree. Except the h blocks were a crazy place to do it. That would have been a shrine

I find it disappointing that people need to try to use even this idea to have a go at the state. I would just like everyone to see a honest portrayal of the pain of the conflict and get some reality of what their own side done.

It will never happen, full stop. Not just the Brits won’t do it.

and tbh I wouldn’t expect any of the players to do it. The simple solution is that the victims tell their story and the suffering is portrayed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭standardg60

Completely agree, those who call for further truth to be revealed are only interested in more blame and anger, it doesn't bring anyone closer to moving on, rather the opposite.

The funny thing is that sometimes the victims became the perpetrators. You can't be selective on which voices you think are worth hearing.

Young boy's father killed by the British Army he grows up and joins the Provos, kills a retired UDR man.....UDR man's son grows up and joins the UVF etc.

You can switch the order about if you think I'm trying to make a point with the specific order of that hypothetical, but my point is that victimhood is a grey area.

??

Odd standpoint.

If somebody is willing to take part in truth recovery and you are the state, call their bluff. Tell the full truth yourself and let it fall where it may.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭standardg60

I think Fionn made the point rather excellently above, we can either keep spinning the roundabout or stop and get off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement